Sign in to follow this  
wendybr

International Current Affairs (Not A Politics Thread) LOL

What the police didn't know was the guy they racially profiled was an FBI agent......

Posted (edited)

Martial Law?

Trump just said that if governors don't use full resources to "dominate" protestors, he will send in military. 

Wouldn't surprise me if, regardless of what happens, he says the states with democratic governors have not done well enough and sends them in. He's gone full 1984 - makes up the news, convinces his followers it's true, then does what he wants based off that news. Total madness.

Edited by btron3000

That guy did an interview with the media afterwards and claimed that the protesters dragged him out of his car and assaulted him. Completely left out the bit where he drew a bow on a crowd.

2 hours ago, Davo said:

That guy did an interview with the media afterwards and claimed that the protesters dragged him out of his car and assaulted him. Completely left out the bit where he drew a bow on a crowd.

Fox News at that !!

I really wonder about the trump bible thing, anyone seen that? He sent in the cops with the teargas to clear protestors in front of a church so he could get a good photo of hmself with a bible. This was in response to a report that he went to his underground bunker at the white house.

Anyway, that has the potential to do him in in the eyes of the american public from the outside. Sacrelige, basically. Maybe the christian vote goes? But who can tell.

The christian right love Trump and the GOP because he hates minorities and because of the abortion & prosperity gospel culture wars. They'll never turn against him. Same reason why the Hillsong cult will never abandon Morrison here.

Video discussion about what is antisemitism 

13 hours ago, marron said:

I really wonder about the trump bible thing, anyone seen that? He sent in the cops with the teargas to clear protestors in front of a church so he could get a good photo of hmself with a bible. This was in response to a report that he went to his underground bunker at the white house.

Anyway, that has the potential to do him in in the eyes of the american public from the outside. Sacrelige, basically. Maybe the christian vote goes? But who can tell.

Trump standing in front of a church holding a bible after sending in the stormtroopers to smash black people pretty much ticks all the boxes for his base. All that was missing was an AR-15 in his other hand and a bald eagle on his shoulder.

1 hour ago, Davo said:

Trump standing in front of a church holding a bible after sending in the stormtroopers to smash black people pretty much ticks all the boxes for his base. All that was missing was an AR-15 in his other hand and a bald eagle on his shoulder.

As a Christian this saddens me deeply. The man is the final evolution of the worst kind of politician who will stop at nothing to communicate with his deranged base and shore up his support. The thought that his supporters think he is a follower of Jesus Christ just beggars belief. It is that weirdly American triumvirate of guns, individual rights and patriotism/nationalism/religion with the Bible being held out to justify it all. Oh and the way some of them are so deeply racist given the Gospel's call to people of all nations to come to Christ is more evidence of their stupidity.

trump doesnt even pretend to be christian so its weird people think he is

1 hour ago, Potkorok said:

As a Christian this saddens me deeply. The man is the final evolution of the worst kind of politician who will stop at nothing to communicate with his deranged base and shore up his support. The thought that his supporters think he is a follower of Jesus Christ just beggars belief. It is that weirdly American triumvirate of guns, individual rights and patriotism/nationalism/religion with the Bible being held out to justify it all. Oh and the way some of them are so deeply racist given the Gospel's call to people of all nations to come to Christ is more evidence of their stupidity.

To call what they practise religion is a joke. Like Hillsong, who are all about  prosperity....ie money. If you are poor it's your fault, if you're rich thats gods.....Morrison and quite a few Libs practise Prosperity religion....it's a con like the faux tears and prayers for those poor refugees they just have to have locked up on Maus Isl. God made them do it.

37 minutes ago, sonar said:

To call what they practise religion is a joke. Like Hillsong, who are all about  prosperity....ie money. If you are poor it's your fault, if you're rich thats gods.....Morrison and quite a few Libs practise Prosperity religion....it's a con like the faux tears and prayers for those poor refugees they just have to have locked up on Maus Isl. God made them do it.

I remember a Hillsonger that I worked with saying "If it's gods will its god's bill" he was a full on happy clappy

4 hours ago, Potkorok said:

As a Christian this saddens me deeply. The man is the final evolution of the worst kind of politician who will stop at nothing to communicate with his deranged base and shore up his support. The thought that his supporters think he is a follower of Jesus Christ just beggars belief. It is that weirdly American triumvirate of guns, individual rights and patriotism/nationalism/religion with the Bible being held out to justify it all. Oh and the way some of them are so deeply racist given the Gospel's call to people of all nations to come to Christ is more evidence of their stupidity and hypocrisy.

Fixed.

I would think these people would be "Christians" in name only.

Corporate statements. 

lol. 

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

Corporate statements. 

lol. 

That’s the bit that offends you?

Legia is cynical to his core, from what I have seen of him...or presents that way here, at least.

I guess he shares the view of those who see the company as having an ulterior motive, like not having their shop windows smashed in?

It IS a very powerful and sadly accurate statement...but do they campaign for equal rights when there aren't such extreme circumstances at play?

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Legia is cynical to his core, from what I have seen of him...or presents that way here, at least.

I guess he shares the view of those who see the company as having an ulterior motive, like not having their shop windows smashed in?

It IS a very powerful and sadly accurate statement...but do they campaign for equal rights when there aren't such extreme circumstances at play?

The thing that impressed me was that the statement acknowledged the problems facing people of colour started from the onset of white settlement just as they do in Aus. I wonder whether any Aus large companies would have the balls to come out with something similar.....I doubt it.

11 hours ago, wendybr said:

Cynical isn’t the word I would use 

from what I have seen of him he’s A supporter of the Far right 

That’s all as maybe that the ice cream people’s  motives are not pure. But this is the only thing he posts on. maybe the source is some company looking after itself but the message holds 

personally I’m more pissed off about a person being killed or his hero using the police to disperse peaceful protesters with tear gas so he can have a photo op.

Or the descent of America into a society that is totally split 

the president of the US stirring up a riot

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Cynical isn’t the word I would use 

from what I have seen of him he’s A supporter of the Far right 

That’s all as maybe that the ice cream people’s  motives are not pure. But this is the only thing he posts on. maybe the source is some company looking after itself but the message holds 

personally I’m more pissed off about a person being killed or his hero using the police to disperse peaceful protesters with tear gas so he can have a photo op.

Or the descent of America into a society that is totally split 

the president of the US stirring up a riot

Rethinking my post as I genuinely don’t want to be antagonistic, far right is harsh and id hope not the case

So  I’d like to as correct as generally  right wing

apologies if my earlier post is over the top 

I also don’t want to take a personal tone I get people have different opinions 

Edited by StringerBellend

3 hours ago, sonar said:

The thing that impressed me was that the statement acknowledged the problems facing people of colour started from the onset of white settlement just as they do in Aus. I wonder whether any Aus large companies would have the balls to come out with something similar.....I doubt it.

honestly i like the fact that they are coming out and supporting however i wouldnt call it brave, not many people are anti police violence against minorities so its a pretty safe stance to take, if they came out and supported hong kong that would be brave, that is why you see the likes of blizzard/activision supporting BLM while ignoring hong kong

dont get me wrong i have seen some people posing with signs saying black lives dont matter but that was like 5 toothless rednecks, the majority are not like that

Posted (edited)

Ben and Jerry are literally hippies*. The statement doesn't surprise me in the least. Their ice cream company is very succesful/high profile, but it's not exactly going to be representative of "where things have got to if big companies are making statements".

*Please note: they sold the company to Unilever. This negates nothing about them being hippies.

Edited by marron

a lot of international news here

also some conspiracy theory mocking which is amusing, also didnt know about Hungary