International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

1 hour ago, Carns said:

I have said from the outset of Trump being in power that the Republicans will continue to side with him as long as they believe it is worth it to them politically. If they believe they are at risk of losing their jobs, their defence of him may change. The next 5 months leading to the election are going to be incredibly interesting to watch. I do not believe that they will all turn against him, as they are too deep in it now. But will they back peddle?

Trump backed candidates have been getting trounced in local elections lately, his disapproval rating is at a record high. They will do everything within their power to enhance voter suppression. Will it be enough to keep him (and by extension them) in power? It's very interesting to realise that we are experiencing a defining period in history at the moment (both within the USA and the world). Is this the collapse of the empire that has been "world leader" for 70-80 years? That might be an extreme take, but I'm not sure if anyone could've really predicted what the US (both internally and on a global stage) would look like in 2020 looking from 2016. Who knows what it could look like in 2024 if he stays in power. Not having to worry about an re-election, just imagine what he'll try and do.

Looks like Mitt Romney is banking on Trump losing and the Republicans suddenly claiming they were against him all along. If they get wiped out in November they're going to have to make changes in the party and I wouldn't be surprised if Romney positions himself as the traditional Republican leader from a pre-Trump era.

As for your last point, it's not just the danger of a second term of Trump (although a lame duck Trump could do some serious damage in the two months after he loses). It's also a census year, so they'll be redrawing all of the congressional district boundaries with data that will last for the next 10 years. If it swings away from the Republicans massively then some of the crazy gerrymandering can be undone.

Trump however bad he is ... in many ways is a result of how the USA is run today...

The top 10% of the top 1% ... have more wealth than over 50% of the bottom ... the top 1% own more than over 90% of all wealth in the US...

The differences in opportunity between where you are born and the colour of your skin is huge..

Also over the years changes in policing and politicians pushing further and further to the right  has lead to where police actions have dramatically changed over the past 40 years.

I read a report about two years ago that said the movement between the classes i.e poor to rich in the US is at an all time low in fact less than India.

Changes in election laws have resulted in anyone or any corporation can donate any amount of money they like to any election, which has resulted at all levels of government massive amounts of spending, and all sorts of things have become the norm i.e. privately run jails bank rolling people wanting to be a judge at the local court and so on up the line.... add to this the control of how many booths go to what areas and how many hours they are open and drawing maps in the most gerrymandered way possible is the norm... now add all sorts of proof of identify tricks ....  

There media once an example to the world is now almost what side they back... Fox & MSNBC are the worst but others equally.

The lack of coverage in their media of topics like Climate Change, Election funding, and over corporate power is non existent ... Even their so called left media outlets by say European & Australian standards would be hard right..

Berine Sanders once said of the US media its the millionaires paid by the billionaires to talk up the system because by them life has been good.

Trump needs to go of this I think the world agrees... 

But America is in a mess, and is a shadow of what it was to say the mid 80's... 

I can't see it changing without a civil war... and while the US is weak and China grows in power it appears life in 30 years will be very different to today..

My concern with the election in November is that a tightly contested election will trigger unrest. I am interested in the extreme polarity of the electorate and the access to false information that can cater to anyone’s political bias. I am not concerned by MSM because there are some regulations of traditional journalists even if they are politically biased. It’s the lies and the amateurs that can spread conspiracy’s with pseudo data and look like a pretty professional outfit and fool people. Trump is taking a ride on any conspiracy theory he can find and these are dangerous when they have come as far into the mainstream community as they have. 
Put simply, I’m worried about civil unrest or even war breaking out. (Especially since guns are so prevalent there). 

5 hours ago, theseeker said:

Speaking of world leaders , what's happening with the " world's best leader" of our near neighbor NZ.

Jacinda Ardern is being branded a failure , incompetent and a liar. Her fame was just a mirage it seems.

Hmmmm.....you sound like you are gloating. Do you like to see our friendly neighbours failing or is it just their female prime minster?

Looks to me that NZ remain in a far better position than we or most of the rest of the world. 

1 hour ago, mack said:

Branded by who? The conservative papers who support the opposition? Lol.

Yeah, that's what New Zealand needs. Maybe they can find someone who takes holidays during emergencies like Morrison does, and someone like Trump who is too stupid & disinterested to give a **** about running a country properly.

1 hour ago, mack said:

Branded by who? The conservative papers who support the opposition? Lol.

Yeah, that's what New Zealand needs. Maybe they can find someone who takes holidays during emergencies like Morrison does, and someone like Trump who is too stupid & disinterested to give a **** about running a country properly.

She has been a disappointing failure after all the hype Read the news you need to get better informed.

No gloating I don't particularity care about NZ politics  , just putting things in perspective in regard to  other leaders that get a regular roast on here. She ain't Saint Jacinda any more.

7 hours ago, Carns said:

Who knows what it could look like in 2024 if he stays in power. Not having to worry about an re-election, just imagine what he'll try and do.

We don't have to imagine, we've seen how a Trump administration has looked now for 3.5 years. What has happened?

5 hours ago, marron said:

Arguable that everything that you are criticising has its roots in the Reagan era.

American culture peaked in the 1950's and the politics died with Kennedy. America is now at the stage of decline Rome was at when the visigoths came knocking on the gates.

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

American culture peaked in the 1950's and the politics died with Kennedy. America is now at the stage of decline Rome was at when the visigoths came knocking on the gates.

Neocon detected.

14 minutes ago, Legionista said:

We don't have to imagine, we've seen how a Trump administration has looked now for 3.5 years. What has happened?

A failed trade war, withdrawing Obamacare without a replacement, alienating allies and pandering to dictators, failing with North Korea, impeachment, undoing every semblance of law conventions like responding to subpoenas, nepotism, promising Israel / Palestine peace getting nothing, many resignations, undoing important climate regulations and ceasing progress on climate, civic unrest and rioting  and of course the needless death of 125000 Americans from a pandemic.....the list goes on and on and yet, you know what?  

He got record numbers of conservative (often poorly qualified) judges appointed to long term appointments and that in itself will be enough for some Republicans. 

9 minutes ago, sonar said:

:shok:

:P

Lol.... I'll be forced to go find some Jordan Peterson, Jonathan Pie or someone else " objectionable" to articulate how dodgy banning opposing ideas is. :meep:

I'm not saying our friend, The Seeker,  isn't having fun trolling, but honestly, a group of people nodding in agreement at the ideas they all share is boring, and poses no intellectual challenge at all.

Having some debate here promotes interactions. It should not be shut down as would happen if we stopped "putting up" with some who raises a different point of view.

:hi:

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Well I'll be forced to go find some Jordan Peterson, Jonathan Pie or someone else " objectionable" to articulate how dodgy banning opposing ideas is.

I'm not saying our friend, The Seeker,  isn't having fun trolling, but honestly, a group of people nodding in agreement at the ideas they all share is boring, and poses no intellectual challenge at all.

Having some debate here promotes interactions. It should not be shut down as would happen if we stopped "putting up" with some who raises a different point of view.

:hi:

I agree. 

:D

Edited by sonar

First protecting transgender /LGBTQ from getting sacked, then protecting the DACA stuff and now blocking the Louisiana abortion laws. John Roberts helping the US hang on to justice for a few more months. Now let’s hope Bader-Ginsburg can hold on because Mitch McConnell is just chomping to get another conservative judge. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/29/politics/john-roberts-abortion-supreme-court/index.html

18 hours ago, theseeker said:

Speaking of world leaders , what's happening with the " world's best leader" of our near neighbor NZ.

Jacinda Ardern is being branded a failure , incompetent and a liar. Her fame was just a mirage it seems.

I suspect that good ol' Scomo will be experiencing similar accusations once more Robodebt revelations come to light.

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic