wendybr

International Current Affairs (Not A Politics Thread) LOL

Just now, Cynth said:

Lol, Legia is back to his non verbal communication. There is a message in there somewhere. 

It’s edgy

5 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Gotta watch those far left fascists! 

Some  scary **** in that article though, the deliberate provoking of division, the our culture is under threat language not to mention it being Covid fest 2020 over there 

The projection.

It's constant.

:xbop:

Posted (edited)

Put more eloquently than I could 

Edited by StringerBellend

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Legionista said:

The projection.

It's constant.

I remember once you broke the 255 character limit, it was a mess. You quickly retreated.

although I have enjoyed the puns comrade 

5 hours ago, Legionista said:

The projection.

It's constant.

Yes it is isn’t it? 

Just now, Cynth said:

Yes it is isn’t it? 

Yes I have been carefully creating A internet persona of a Middle Aged left leaning guardian reading inner west wanker.

coincidentally it matches my real life persona too  

12 hours ago, Cynth said:

Yes it is isn’t it? 

It is. 

17 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I remember once you broke the 255 character limit, it was a mess. You quickly retreated.

although I have enjoyed the puns comrade 

Status jockeying. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/why-third-wave-anti-racism-dead-end/578764/

[T]hird-wave antiracism is a profoundly religious movement in everything but terminology. The idea that whites are permanently stained by their white privilege, gaining moral absolution only by eternally attesting to it, is the third wave’s version of original sin. The idea of a someday when America will “come to terms with race” is as vaguely specified a guidepost as Judgment Day. Explorations as to whether an opinion is “problematic” are equivalent to explorations of that which may be blasphemous. The social mauling of the person with “problematic” thoughts parallels the excommunication of the heretic. What is called “virtue signaling,” then, channels the impulse that might lead a Christian to an aggressive display of her faith in Jesus. 

Edited by Legionista

Posted (edited)

And here’s me thinking the guy that was killed by the police officer was the victim

do you actually believe that pretentious load of rubbish 

wendy will dig it though

yes, the edgy speaker of truth rebel is being mauled for his problematic views, by the virtue signalling fundamentalists

It's an interesting thing when those who prefer the old ways (which were replete with "virtue signalling" and "political correctness" as well, just they weren't named as such or criticised) use a religous metaphor as a criticism.

The virtue signallers is a great name for an 80s new romantic band 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Legionista said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/why-third-wave-anti-racism-dead-end/578764/

[T]hird-wave antiracism is a profoundly religious movement in everything but terminology. The idea that whites are permanently stained by their white privilege, gaining moral absolution only by eternally attesting to it, is the third wave’s version of original sin. The idea of a someday when America will “come to terms with race” is as vaguely specified a guidepost as Judgment Day. Explorations as to whether an opinion is “problematic” are equivalent to explorations of that which may be blasphemous. The social mauling of the person with “problematic” thoughts parallels the excommunication of the heretic. What is called “virtue signaling,” then, channels the impulse that might lead a Christian to an aggressive display of her faith in Jesus. 

This article I think  has some merit but not really for us in Australia. We don’t do the whole serious guilt trip thing as much here. No white person should feel guilt but they should feel responsibility to understand inequality and implicit bias. There is a history of inequality that has caused the huge income and outcome disparity in the US ( and Australia) and doing something about it takes acknowledgment but not repentance. Understanding and education and conscious change is what’s needed, not claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause.  Basic psychology. :unknw:

Real change means affirmative action though and the same lot that fight the whole white privilege thing also oppose affirmative action. 

Edited by Cynth

56 minutes ago, Cynth said:

claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause. 

Which is why people interested in maintaining the old status quo - complete with its own set of values and correct rhetoric that can easily be compared to blind religion - are so keen to talk about such claims. I suspect the majority of alienated people would never have been exposed to a direct claim of white privilege, except ones that have been filtered in this way.

49 minutes ago, marron said:

Which is why people interested in maintaining the old status quo - complete with its own set of values and correct rhetoric that can easily be compared to blind religion - are so keen to talk about such claims. I suspect the majority of alienated people would never have been exposed to a direct claim of white privilege, except ones that have been filtered in this way.

Yes I agree. I don’t the “white privledge” accusation is common and most are responding to the caricature of the left produced by certain parts of the media.....but there are some....and I find it closes down conversation and learning. 

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

This article I think  has some merit but not really for us in Australia. We don’t do the whole serious guilt trip thing as much here. No white person should feel guilt but they should feel responsibility to understand inequality and implicit bias. There is a history of inequality that has caused the huge income and outcome disparity in the US ( and Australia) and doing something about it takes acknowledgment but not repentance. Understanding and education and conscious change is what’s needed, not claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause.  Basic psychology. :unknw:

Real change means affirmative action though and the same lot that fight the whole white privilege thing also oppose affirmative action. 

What inequality in Australia , there is no inequality in this country.

3 minutes ago, theseeker said:

When the top end of town by not paying tax, either by avasion or avoidance, and the rest of us have to pay tax, there is most definitely  inequality in Australia. 

23 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

When the top end of town by not paying tax, either by avasion or avoidance, and the rest of us have to pay tax, there is most definitely  inequality in Australia. 

That's bullshyte anyway , but  apart from that they employ people who pay tax. How many do you employ.

Social security annual budget of 200 billion. Indigenous 33 billion. 

Oh , the inequality !

1 hour ago, theseeker said:

Oh sweetie really? If I thought you might have an open mind, I would bother with this comment but you know....

1 hour ago, theseeker said:

Tit

Questions aloud the following.

Is the USA a capitalist country.... ??????

My answer is no its not.... the USA has a form of corporate capitalism which the spin doctors say is what built the country...

In a true capitalist state you have many buyers and MANY sellers..... eg Farmer Joe takes his produce to a market where many people bid for his produce.

Today however after changes to take over codes and monopolies we have created mega companies .... I think and don't hold me to this but I think Six yes Six companies control over 75% of food distribution and production world over... 

In the USA you have less than 10 media companies of any size ... 

So the USA could stand for the United Corporations of America... 

I don't know the answer but the top 10% of the top 1% in the USA have more wealth than the bottom 50 or 55% of the country I forget which, and the top 1% have more wealth than than the bottom 90%.

IMO the USA today more  reflects Europe in the days when Kings & Queens, with Lords etc ruled the place... 

The incredible skill of ultra wealthy is to convince half the poor people their issues are with the other poor people not them... in fact in you cut my taxes its actually good for you and you will be better off with better schools if you cut my taxes... better still if you cut my taxes and reduce social security to pay for the tax cuts poor people will be better off ... it has always amazed me how in the USA this argument of poor people will be better off by giving the wealthy tax cuts and reducing public spending ...  but both sides do it...

To repeat my question is the USA a capitalist country ??? 

5 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Questions aloud the following.

Is the USA a capitalist country.... ??????

My answer is no its not.... the USA has a form of corporate capitalism which the spin doctors say is what built the country...

In a true capitalist state you have many buyers and MANY sellers..... eg Farmer Joe takes his produce to a market where many people bid for his produce.

Today however after changes to take over codes and monopolies we have created mega companies .... I think and don't hold me to this but I think Six yes Six companies control over 75% of food distribution and production world over... 

In the USA you have less than 10 media companies of any size ... 

So the USA could stand for the United Corporations of America... 

I don't know the answer but the top 10% of the top 1% in the USA have more wealth than the bottom 50 or 55% of the country I forget which, and the top 1% have more wealth than than the bottom 90%.

IMO the USA today more  reflects Europe in the days when Kings & Queens, with Lords etc ruled the place... 

The incredible skill of ultra wealthy is to convince half the poor people their issues are with the other poor people not them... in fact in you cut my taxes its actually good for you and you will be better off with better schools if you cut my taxes... better still if you cut my taxes and reduce social security to pay for the tax cuts poor people will be better off ... it has always amazed me how in the USA this argument of poor people will be better off by giving the wealthy tax cuts and reducing public spending ...  but both sides do it...

To repeat my question is the USA a capitalist country ??? 

Wow.

11 hours ago, Cynth said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. 

🤐

Here's a fanciful claim

McEnany claims US is 'a leader' in coronavirus fight despite rise in many states

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany shockingly claimed that foreign leaders consider America to be a leader in the fight against coronavirus.

“I think the world is looking at us as a leader in Covid-19,” McEnany said during the White House briefing.

In reality, the US has failed to lower the number of new infections, and the spread of coronavirus is on the rise in dozens of states.

The European Union also declined to include the US on a list of approved countries for nonessential travel as the EU starts to open its borders.

51 minutes ago, Legionista said:

Pretty good illustration of my point above thanks Legia.

My money would be on the percentage of "article read" vs "article cited" being widely disparate.