International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

Beyond scary .... AND AND AND ... I have a relative... male 53, hard working man and a floor tiler by trade and age is catching up with him...  its a very physically demanding job.... anyWho he is Trump all the way buys into all the BS ... 

Don't think that there is not a large often talk back listening base in Australia as well... they have been feed for decades they have rights that are being taken away .... told they should defend and fight for their rights .... that is light years away from logic and common sense is not the point... 

My relative is a good family man with four kids who he has brought up well and they all work... 

Yet his belief that some mythical land once existed that he was entitled too.... but it has been stolen from him... but worse stolen from his wife and kids .... he lacks faith in government ... even on this site engaging in a discussion even suggesting even if a tiny fraction SoMo may have done a small thing right is beyond hhhmmmm actually quite a lot ... 

Talk back for decades has survived of claiming the sky is falling and its all their fault .... you are coping it in the neck... and they are wrong... don't trust university people on economics, ... government's waste money private industry can always do it better... 

I pity people in the US today ....

News and others have created a monster 

12 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

... even on this site engaging in a discussion even suggesting even if a tiny fraction SoMo may have done a small thing right is beyond hhhmmmm actually quite a lot ... 

The big difference is that those on this forum aren't joining para military or subversive groups, ( although being a Mariners supporter might make you feel this forum is a hotbed of westie lefties) we aren't running around buying anti Morrison merchandise or planning on mass meetings with the intent  of storming parliament house trying to end demoracy. 

Edited by sonar
21 minutes ago, sonar said:

The big difference is that those on this forum aren't joining para military or subversive groups, ( although being a Mariners supporter might make you feel this forum is a hotbed of westie lefties) we aren't running around buying anti Morrison merchandise or planning on mass meetings with the intent  of storming parliament house trying to end demoracy. 

very true ... and I was not trying to compare this site and Trumps fans... it was my cousin I referenced where I was saying he has brought totally into decades of talk back and he actually believes the election was rigged against Trump and this is from Australia and he is on FB with a heap of other Australian who think the same..... I used this site and SoMo as a minor point hoping to illustrate how wide spread taking sides is becoming far more common

4 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

very true ... and I was not trying to compare this site and Trumps fans... it was my cousin I referenced where I was saying he has brought totally into decades of talk back and he actually believes the election was rigged against Trump and this is from Australia and he is on FB with a heap of other Australian who think the same..... I used this site and SoMo as a minor point hoping to illustrate how wide spread taking sides is becoming far more common

You can take a side in politics and still not wish hate on opponents. You can take a side in debates such as climate change, health care, child care, aged care,education  or whatever and be absolutely resolute in what you believe without touting any hate or wish harm on others. That's what the ballot box is for.

It's when ( as in the US ) that the validity of the ballot box is falsely questioned and then those falsehoods are being championed by one side that trouble starts........as we saw in Washington. Funnily enough it is being championed by the losers whose figurehead is a Narcissistic c**t who doesn't take well to losing and amplified by media backers. ( Fox/Newsmaxx/OAN )

5 hours ago, sonar said:

I do own a “still hate thatcher” t shirt does that count?

11 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Y'know, we keep hearing from political commentators and the politicians themselves, is there anything out there from psychologists or anthropologists?

This is such a fascinating insight into the human psyche. How can people see one thing - like Trump supporters storming the capital - and believe something else - like it's antifa?

How can a Qanon dude claim that some celebrity is a child molesting cannibal and then, when confronted about having no evidence, say things like "you have no evidence he isn't" and just continue on as if they are right?

It just baffles me how many people are living in a world devoid of reality.

This item posted by Em gives a decent explanation

On 13/01/2021 at 5:32 PM, EmMac said:

A gamers perspective of the lure of QAnon

This is IMO, a pretty darn good analysis

https://medium.com/curiouserinstitute/a-game-designers-analysis-of-qanon-580972548be5

Woman trampled in Capitol riots had 'don't tread on me' flag

One of the Trump supporters who died at the Capitol went with the Gadsden flag, i.e. the coiled up rattlesnake with the "don't tread on me" caption. Her friend is claiming that she died when she was trampled by the crowd.

While its easy to laugh at her being killed by irony, accounts from her friends and family say that she was an otherwise normal, decent person that just went down the Qanon rabbit hole.

“She had some demons and she had some problems, but she found a purpose in taking care of her little nieces. And she’s been good to them and she was real good to my children, and she was real good to me when I needed her. … I just want to remind everybody she is a human being. She’s not a ‘psycho Trump supporter,’ she’s not a drug addict, she’s a human being. And she was closer to me than a sister.”

There are some interesting theories regarding the impeachment of Trump by the senate. I'll try and link to some here if I can but it seems the Dems may not need 67 votes.

A quorum in the US senate is 51. Impeachment requires a supermajority which is 67 if all members are present and vote. If the Republicans are not present it is 35. 

Would be an interesting ploy for the Repubs not to show up, let the idiot be impeached, and they could rightly claim to their constituents they didn't vote for impeachment. Highly improbable but being canvassed.

26 minutes ago, sonar said:

There are some interesting theories regarding the impeachment of Trump by the senate. I'll try and link to some here if I can but it seems the Dems may not need 67 votes.

A quorum in the US senate is 51. Impeachment requires a supermajority which is 67 if all members are present and vote. If the Republicans are not present it is 35. 

Would be an interesting ploy for the Repubs not to show up, let the idiot be impeached, and they could rightly claim to their constituents they didn't vote for impeachment. Highly improbable but being canvassed.

Edited by sonar
21 hours ago, Davo said:

I believe it's a separate vote. The article of impeachment asks for "removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States." The senate decides whether he should be removed from office (kind of pointless when it won't happen until after he's gone anyway) and then they vote again as to whether he should be disqualified from future office. I read somewhere that while a President has never been removed from office through impeachment federal judges have. In those cases it needed a two thirds majority to find them guilty but only a simple majority to disqualify from future office once they've been found guilty.

This article from the Washington Post by an expert of constitutional law is refuting the argument being made by some that once Trump is out of office impeachment can’t be applied to him. In there he talks about the separation of votes for conviction and for disqualification from future office.

“To be sure, a former officer may no longer be “removed” even upon conviction by a two-thirds vote. But that has no bearing on whether such an ex-officer may be barred permanently from office upon being convicted. That separate judgment would require no more than a simple majority vote.”

13 hours ago, sonar said:

You can take a side in politics and still not wish hate on opponents. You can take a side in debates such as climate change, health care, child care, aged care,education  or whatever and be absolutely resolute in what you believe without touting any hate or wish harm on others. That's what the ballot box is for.

It's when ( as in the US ) that the validity of the ballot box is falsely questioned and then those falsehoods are being championed by one side that trouble starts........as we saw in Washington. Funnily enough it is being championed by the losers whose figurehead is a Narcissistic c**t who doesn't take well to losing and amplified by media backers. ( Fox/Newsmaxx/OAN )

I have never implied you can't take sides ... and like almost everyone including many of my posts I have attacked Trump...

My points are two, first is decades of me thinks rating chasing talk back followed by decades of right wing broadcast networks pushing the west generally from centre right position to hard right and then harder right...

My second point is increasingly people as a whole are debating less and taking sides... often resulting in  everything they do and everything they say is wrong ... for the other side...

57 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I have never implied you can't take sides ... and like almost everyone including many of my posts I have attacked Trump...

My points are two, first is decades of me thinks rating chasing talk back followed by decades of right wing broadcast networks pushing the west generally from centre right position to hard right and then harder right...

My second point is increasingly people as a whole are debating less and taking sides... often resulting in  everything they do and everything they say is wrong ... for the other side...

Firstly Midi I'm not having a go at you personally here. Secondly I was pointing out that when you vote you HAVE to chose a side.  Whether it's Lib/Nat/Lab/Green/Ind  etc or in the case of the US Dem or Repub......you're picking a side. Thirdly ,as I said you can be absolutely resolute in what you say, you can steadfastly refuse any point someone is trying to make without inciting violence whether it's on the Left or Right ......whether someones listens or refuses to listen is mute, it's action afterwards that matter.

It's only when a side decides that after all the debating ( or non debating )  it will not accept the voters verdict and goes down the path of violence on the back of a lie supported by a leader and enabled by the media that we have trouble. ....as they did in Washington. 

Edited by sonar
18 minutes ago, sonar said:

The NRA has filed for bankruptcy ...........moral or financial......we're not quite sure.....lol

Morally corrupt. They were there years ago.

I think that Chapter 11 bankruptcy could actually save them, just like multi-national companies do regularly 

On 15/01/2021 at 6:37 PM, sonar said:

This is becoming a bit of an issue for Trump. I’ve read that a lot of the arrested rioters are working with their lawyers to argue the same defense, i.e. I thought it was ok because the President told me to do it.

By the time the senate impeachment trial starts a few of these arguments will have already been made it court so it makes it harder for Trump to claim he didn’t incite the riot.

Yeah.... if you watch his speech he does everything but say it. And he doesn't say "bring zip ties and steal ****". And then you have law enforcement saying no.  Can't imagine it will hold up which will suit trump just fine 

8 hours ago, marron said:

Yeah.... if you watch his speech he does everything but say it. And he doesn't say "bring zip ties and steal ****". And then you have law enforcement saying no.  Can't imagine it will hold up which will suit trump just fine 

But it wasn't just what he said on the day, it was what he'd been saying since before the election, and since.

No...he didn't say "go and kill a police officer, and capture our enemies", but his rhetoric had portrayed the Dems as the enemy of the people/ the enemy of American society for YEARS.

I do agree that it will be hard to pin this all on Trump. There would be some who totally believed that they were doing what Trump wanted them to do, but it's a stretch.

Giuliani's words, using "with force", were totally inappropriate and would have incited some to radical action.

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic