International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

I see it that America is such a tinderbox the Democrats have been trying to take the heat out of the situation, get the Trump supporters off the streets, and the Democrat ones also and move on as per a normal election. I think they have done a good job so far but also agree that they may need to fight harder when Trump shows all his cards. I think the Dems are doing OK at the moment and since they won, the Guardian does like to wet itself most days doesn't it. It could still be right though

Edited by Smoggy
8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Someone on here will be happy with this news

Dominic Cummings, director of the Brexit campaign, to resign as Boris Johnson's chief adviser by end of the year
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-13/brexit-mastermind-dominic-cummings-to-leave-boris-johnson/12883018

What dark and inhuman corner of the galaxy are you from ? - Scotland. " :D

"Utterly despicable... SO YOU ARE SCOTTISH!"

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Someone on here will be happy with this news

Dominic Cummings, director of the Brexit campaign, to resign as Boris Johnson's chief adviser by end of the year
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-13/brexit-mastermind-dominic-cummings-to-leave-boris-johnson/12883018

26 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Anyone see the bet between the USA & UK about who could screw up their country the most...

The UK look to be a clear winner with Brexit ....

But then the US played its TRUMP card... 

Britain is now back in the lead on that one, rule Britannia 

37 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Dunno about that...Cummings is gone !!

There has been a quiet coup in Westminster the last few weeks. A power struggle has been playing out for sure. To retain the backing of his party Cummings had to go, and rightly so. He has been a Rasputin type figure in the ear of the PM and was the main engineer of Brexit.

As Thatcher said.. 'Advisors advise, minister's decide'. Boris let that boundary be crossed far too many times in my opinion.

I still sense a challenge to the PM in 2021. He has lost his main advisor and is clearly weakened. The country are not happy with his covid leadership and the Brexit negotiations have been disastrous for the UK and EU.

Dare I dream that next year Trump and Boris could be gone.

I am hoping Starmer can get Labour sorted. 

Edited by Smoggy
3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

There has been a quiet coup in Westminster the last few weeks. A power struggle has been playing out for sure. To retain the backing of his party Cummings had to go, and rightly so. He has been a Rasputin type figure in the ear of the PM and was the main engineer of Brexit.

As Thatcher said.. 'Advisors advise, minister's decide'. Boris let that boundary be crossed far too many times in my opinion.

I still sense a challenge to the PM in 2021. He has lost his main advisor and is clearly weakened. The country are not happy with his covid leadership and the Brexit negotiations have been disastrous for the UK and EU.

Dare I dream that next year Trump and Boris could be gone.

I am hoping Starmer can get Labour sorted. 

Gove will take over, or some other Bullingdon club nob

I wonder aloud about the outcome in the US...

Biden will win of this there is little doubt.... however a huge percentage of the US population believe it was rigged and Trump robbed... many are armed and they are angry....

The GOP officials have said it was the most secure election ever and no invalid votes counted... 

Seems beyond crazy but a huge percentage of the US population so distrust government that what they want to be is the true, is true, regardless of evidence and science or engineering based research says

Musk wearing is the perfect example... many in the US believe that wearing musk's is not only bad for you but is a political trick to make Trump look bad.... the fact that musk's are being worn world over, and other governments are saying it simply does not break thu...

Trump himself is constantly fanning and inflaming this...

I can see people trying to take Trump to court and Trump screaming they are part of the deep state out to get him...

Trump is opening attacking the election process, Russia & China must be rubbing their hands together with glee... 

If media reports are correct he is stacking government departments with Trump people to make life difficult for Biden...

2021 will be a huge challenge for Biden I hope he is up to the task... 

Once Trump leaves office.....noon Jan 20...he is just a normal citizen again and is subject to the rule of law especially defamation laws. Aside from the troubles he will have with prosecutors in New York,,........ (I'll try and find a link to a story I have read )....... that the company that supplied some of the counting machines .....Dominion.....is quietly waiting for Trump to open his big mouth after noon on Jan 20 about his allegations of fraud and of votes for him going to Biden via their machines and will then launch $Bn's in lawsuits against him.

Trump has no humility or empathy and sees everyone not in his clique as an enemy...... and it's going to be his downfall. Watch the Republicans drop him as fast as they can as soon as he is gone. They know the MAGA's will never vote Democrat anyway so they can't lose.  

Edited by sonar
3 minutes ago, sonar said:

Once Trump leaves office.....noon Jan 20...he is just a normal citizen again and is subject to the rule of law especially defamation laws. Aside from the troubles he will have with prosecutors in New York,,........ (I'll try and find a link to a story I have read )....... that the company that supplied some of the counting machines .....Dominion.....is quietly waiting for Trump to open his big mouth after noon on Jan 20 about his allegations of fraud and of votes for him going to Biden via their machines and will then launch $Bn's in lawsuits against him.

Trump has no humility or empathy and sees everyone not in his clique as an enemy...... and it's going to be his downfall. Watch the Republicans drop him as fast as they can as soon as he is gone. They know the MAGA's will never vote Democrat anyway so they can't lose.  

He could pardon himself and his family and run again in 2024. Nothing is stopping him from doing that, as president its his right but no president has ever done that not even Nixon who relied on his successor to pardon him... That is how crap the US system is and how much of the finger Trump can give to the establishment

14 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

He could pardon himself and his family and run again in 2024. Nothing is stopping him from doing that, as president its his right but no president has ever done that not even Nixon who relied on his successor to pardon him... That is how crap the US system is and how much of the finger Trump can give to the establishment

https://www.robertreeveslaw.com/blog/trump-pardon-himself/

............ a presidential pardon does not immunize anyone from criminal prosecution by any of the fifty states. The president can only pardon federal crimes. For example, the Florida attorney general could still prosecute Trump for tax fraud even if Trump received a presidential pardon.

https://www.npr.org/sections/biden-transition-updates/2020/11/16/935444662/michelle-obama-urges-u-s-leaders-to-encourage-a-smooth-transition-of-power

Verified

This week, I’ve been reflecting a lot on where I was four years ago. Hilary Clinton had just been dealt a tough loss by a far closer margin than the one we’ve seen this year. I was hurt and disappointed—but the votes had been counted and Donald Trump had won. The American people had spoken. And one of the great responsibilities of the presidency is to listen when they do. So my husband and I instructed our staffs to do what George and Laura Bush had done for us: run a respectful, seamless transition of power—one of the hallmarks of American democracy. We invited the folks from the president-elect’s team into our offices and prepared detailed memos for them, offering what we’d learned over the past eight years.

I have to be honest and say that none of this was easy for me. Donald Trump had spread racist lies about my husband that had put my family in danger. That wasn’t something I was ready to forgive. But I knew that, for the sake of our country, I had to find the strength and maturity to put my anger aside. So I welcomed Melania Trump into the White House and talked with her about my experience, answering every question she had—from the heightened scrutiny that comes with being First Lady to what it’s like to raise kids in the White House.

I knew in my heart it was the right thing to do—because our democracy is so much bigger than anybody’s ego. Our love of country requires us to respect the results of an election even when we don’t like them or wish it had gone differently—the presidency doesn’t belong to any one individual or any one party. To pretend that it does, to play along with these groundless conspiracy theories—whether for personal or political gain—is to put our country’s health and security in danger. This isn’t a game. So I want to urge all Americans, especially our nation’s leaders, regardless of party, to honor the electoral process and do your part to encourage a smooth transition of power, just as sitting presidents have done throughout our history

25 minutes ago, sonar said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/biden-transition-updates/2020/11/16/935444662/michelle-obama-urges-u-s-leaders-to-encourage-a-smooth-transition-of-power

Verified

This week, I’ve been reflecting a lot on where I was four years ago. Hilary Clinton had just been dealt a tough loss by a far closer margin than the one we’ve seen this year. I was hurt and disappointed—but the votes had been counted and Donald Trump had won. The American people had spoken. And one of the great responsibilities of the presidency is to listen when they do. So my husband and I instructed our staffs to do what George and Laura Bush had done for us: run a respectful, seamless transition of power—one of the hallmarks of American democracy. We invited the folks from the president-elect’s team into our offices and prepared detailed memos for them, offering what we’d learned over the past eight years.

I have to be honest and say that none of this was easy for me. Donald Trump had spread racist lies about my husband that had put my family in danger. That wasn’t something I was ready to forgive. But I knew that, for the sake of our country, I had to find the strength and maturity to put my anger aside. So I welcomed Melania Trump into the White House and talked with her about my experience, answering every question she had—from the heightened scrutiny that comes with being First Lady to what it’s like to raise kids in the White House.

I knew in my heart it was the right thing to do—because our democracy is so much bigger than anybody’s ego. Our love of country requires us to respect the results of an election even when we don’t like them or wish it had gone differently—the presidency doesn’t belong to any one individual or any one party. To pretend that it does, to play along with these groundless conspiracy theories—whether for personal or political gain—is to put our country’s health and security in danger. This isn’t a game. So I want to urge all Americans, especially our nation’s leaders, regardless of party, to honor the electoral process and do your part to encourage a smooth transition of power, just as sitting presidents have done throughout our history

Classy

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic