International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

2 hours ago, Unlimited said:

From a strictly legal perspective, not the same thing but it was humorous to be pointed out that the 2018 gay wedding cake debacle in the US (essentially whether a baker could refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on the basis of it being against their religion) showed that private companies can choose to not do business with certain people.

Now with this Trump being banned on Twitter thing, these supporters now want it the other way where private companies must do business with certain people.

Again, from a strictly legal perspective, different issues but interesting dissonance that was pointed out to me.

Yeah I saw it yesterday or the day before as a way to try and explain the situation.

"Okay, imagine it this way. Twitter is a cake shop and Trump wants to buy a gay wedding cake..." :lol:

I get the general wariness of "big tech", for sure. These people now crying foul have clearly forgotten the role Big Tech played in getting Trump into the white house in the first place; and the solution has always been, DON'T USE IT. Being able to message the world at large is not a necessity, and is still accomplishable without twitter or facebook. Hey, it's AMERICA right - if your ideas are worthwhile enough then I'm sure their very excellence will find a wide audience without too much trouble,  plus I'm sure someone will invent a new way to get the messages out without Big Tech, because that's what the country is all about.

Watching them - here and there - tie themselves in knots as they demand the government regulate MORE is most amusing.

21 minutes ago, Davo said:

Any mobile device that was in the capitol building is logged. It's part of the security. The FBI and other agencies have the data on who was when and where in the building during the coup attempt as a lot of people are going to find out in the coming months when security agencies come knocking on their doors.

The Australian Libs, banging on about free speech

I'm going to exercise my free speech to use this platform to say they are all a pack of Weapons Grade Bellends

although Mack of course has the right to censor me (although that would show Wokeness and PC gone mad)

.. its back to the studio

Edited by StringerBellend

The airline unions that covers flight staff including pilots in the us told their companies that if they knew of anyone involved in entering the capitol building were on their flights they would refuse to fly the planes or work on them. Anyone involved is now being either denied access to a plane or removed from them. They are now one a #noflylist and will remain so until cleared by authorities. There are some very upset MAGA T'S at the minute all crying about having their democracy taken away....lol

Lol.....

https://cybernews.com/news/70tb-of-parler-users-messages-videos-and-posts-leaked-by-security-researchers/

Security researchers claim that the scrapped posts are linked to accounts that posted them, and some of the video and image data have geolocation information. That is said also to include data from Parler’s “Verified Citizens,” users of the network who verified their identity by uploading photographs of government-issued IDs, such as a driver’s license. 

.......to be passed on to FBI and DoJ.....lol

Edited by sonar
41 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:bad:

The US Capitol riot was full of hate symbols. Here's how to spot them
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-12/washington-capitol-hate-symbols-race-riots-trump-antisemitism/13048516

A more challenging thing to spot symbols that weren't hate symbols isn't it?

I suppose the blue line flags are arguably not hate symbols but then they killed some cops, and the failure means that the blue lives matter thing has been dropped now so.

Edited by marron
7 minutes ago, marron said:

Saw a good article yesterday from 2017 breaking down where trumps votes came from, and how the idea it's all these poor white trash types is flat out wrong.

I meant more about the rhetoric employed. Make America Great Again. I'll bring the jobs back.  It's bullshit of course. A lot of people drunk the kool aid.

The Trumpists are deserting the sinking ship, trying to claim he wasn't like this during the last 4 years and it's only now that he's crossed the mark, when we all could see it coming a mile away.

Impeach the clown so he can't run again, throw his arse in the clink afterwards.

But I think there are bigger problems here.

1. The Republicans that sided with him until now, who aren't deranged like him but saw it as a way to keep themselves in power and hold down the rise of any sort of equality, whether that be race, sex, or - most particularly - wealth and power. So many people in charge will do whatever it takes to keep their privileged life.

2. The way that his followers have been manipulated. And how dangerous social media is. 1984 stuff, just re-writing history live as it happens through disinformation. And we're all susceptible. 

3. Let's say Trump doesn't screw up the pandemic. He probably gets back in. Then you have a deranded lunatic who was systematically removing anyone who didn't agree with him from any positions of authority, and was going through and corrupting all the systems he could. It's possible that the US could have voted in a dude who would become a dictator in all but name. Someone else out there is probably looking at all the mistakes he made and thinking "this could be done".

Senior Republicans (including Liz Cheney, daughter of Dick, and the 3rd highest ranking Republican in the House of Reps) have said they'll vote to impeach Trump. This is a big deal because it basically shows that the Republican establishment (people like the Cheney's, Bush's etc) who held the power before Trump took control are willing to vote against him to take the power back in the party. Apparently even Mitch McConnell has said he believes Trump's conduct was impeachable. The rats are deserting the ship at an incredible rate and it might mean he's actually impeached (the first President for it to occur to) and will most likely also be barred from running again (plus losing pension, Secret Service protection etc. etc.). It's a massive deal if it happens.

Also, I'm following the ABC News blog about it all and they just posted this refresher of what has happened in the last 7 days.

• Two Democrats win the Georgia run-off races
  • A massive rally and protest from Trump supporters in Washington DC
  • An unprecedented attack on Capitol Building in Washington DC
  • Congress finalising Joe Biden's win by counting the votes of the electoral college
  • Twitter deleting Donald Trump's account (and other social media banning or suspending him)
  • Calls for the 25th amendment to be invoked
  • Donald Trump publicly acknowledging the result of the November election for the first time
  • The beginnings of the second impeachment of Donald Trump
  • Senior Republicans calling for Donald Trump to be removed from office

2021 sure has had a slow start in the US of A!

The FBI is also warning that there is strong potential for armed protests leading up to the Inauguration not only in Washington but in all states. Gonna be a crazy few weeks ahead.

3 minutes ago, Carns said:

Senior Republicans (including Liz Cheney, daughter of Dick, and the 3rd highest ranking Republican in the House of Reps) have said they'll vote to impeach Trump. This is a big deal because it basically shows that the Republican establishment (people like the Cheney's, Bush's etc) who held the power before Trump took control are willing to vote against him to take the power back in the party. Apparently even Mitch McConnell has said he believes Trump's conduct was impeachable. The rats are deserting the ship at an incredible rate and it might mean he's actually impeached (the first President for it to occur to) and will most likely also be barred from running again (plus losing pension, Secret Service protection etc. etc.). It's a massive deal if it happens.

Also, I'm following the ABC News blog about it all and they just posted this refresher of what has happened in the last 7 days.

• Two Democrats win the Georgia run-off races
  • A massive rally and protest from Trump supporters in Washington DC
  • An unprecedented attack on Capitol Building in Washington DC
  • Congress finalising Joe Biden's win by counting the votes of the electoral college
  • Twitter deleting Donald Trump's account (and other social media banning or suspending him)
  • Calls for the 25th amendment to be invoked
  • Donald Trump publicly acknowledging the result of the November election for the first time
  • The beginnings of the second impeachment of Donald Trump
  • Senior Republicans calling for Donald Trump to be removed from office

2021 sure has had a slow start in the US of A!

The FBI is also warning that there is strong potential for armed protests leading up to the Inauguration not only in Washington but in all states. Gonna be a crazy few weeks ahead.

Someone in the US has suggested for them 2021 doesn't officially start till Biden is Inaugerated.....as he says it......on the 51st of Dec 2020,...."my New will start with Trump gone....not before." 

:D

Getting the executions in before the inauguration. Mentally ill woman.

A Kansas woman was executed early on Wednesday, the first time in nearly seven decades that the US government has put to death a female inmate.

Lisa Montgomery, 52, was pronounced dead at 1.31am after receiving a lethal injection at the federal prison complex in Terre Haute, Indiana. She was the 11th prisoner to receive a lethal injection there since July when Donald Trump, an ardent supporter of capital punishment, resumed federal executions after a 17-year hiatus.

“The craven bloodlust of a failed administration was on full display tonight,” Montgomery’s attorney, Kelley Henry said in a statement. “Everyone who participated in the execution of Lisa Montgomery should feel shame.”

“The government stopped at nothing in its zeal to kill this damaged and delusional woman,” Henry said. “Lisa Montgomery’s execution was far from justice.”

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic