wendybr

International Current Affairs (Trump Sackwatch)

Without knowing anything about it, I wonder how  different it is to the moderation that occurs here on HSC exams. I mean, the moderation is done without knowing what type of school a paper has come from, but, it still effectively does a similar thing; if a kid in a **** school does really well, they will be brought down by the rest of their cohort due to that moderation (and vice versa). Advantaged kids - kids with access to more resources etc in private schools, or kids in selective schools, therefore get a leg up in terms of their marks.

On 16/08/2020 at 12:32 PM, marron said:

Without knowing anything about it, I wonder how  different it is to the moderation that occurs here on HSC exams. I mean, the moderation is done without knowing what type of school a paper has come from, but, it still effectively does a similar thing; if a kid in a **** school does really well, they will be brought down by the rest of their cohort due to that moderation (and vice versa). Advantaged kids - kids with access to more resources etc in private schools, or kids in selective schools, therefore get a leg up in terms of their marks.

I actually think the moderation is quite fair in the HSC

From what I remember it to be, it basically matched the bottom mark and the top mark of the actual HSC exam to the bottom placed and top ranked student in the class, and then depending on how everyone else went in relation to them, distributes marks within that range.

I can’t speak for how they do it in Britain but that HSC system is pretty fair in my eyes (I could be convinced otherwise). It essentially standardises all marks to compare students in schools who give everyone ridiculously hard exams and other schools who asked 1+1 in the maths exam.

I think the key problem with going to a “crap” school is that your peers won’t push you to really excel. If you can wipe the floor with everyone without even trying, it’s very hard to gauge how you’ll go if now you’re doing a standardised HSC exam up against people you haven’t even met.

3 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I actually think the moderation is quite fair in the HSC

From what I remember it to be, it basically matched the bottom mark and the top mark of the actual HSC exam to the bottom placed and top ranked student in the class, and then depending on how everyone else went in relation to them, distributes marks within that range.

I can’t speak for how they do it in Britain but that HSC system is pretty fair in my eyes (I could be convinced otherwise). It essentially standardises all marks to compare students in schools who give everyone ridiculously hard exams and other schools who asked 1+1 in the maths exam.

I think the key problem with going to a “crap” school is that your peers won’t push you to really excel. If you can wipe the floor with everyone without even trying, it’s very hard to gauge how you’ll go if now you’re doing a standardised HSC exam up against people you haven’t even met.

I had a similar thought to @marron and I think the UK algorithm is similar in some ways to what we have here in that it favours the “better” schools (read private and selective). But the UK algorithm is based of past school performances as opposed to the current years standardised tests

on the “crap” schools, being pushed might be one factor but It’s far from the only one or main one

31 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I had a similar thought to @marron and I think the UK algorithm is similar in some ways to what we have here in that it favours the “better” schools (read private and selective). But the UK algorithm is based of past school performances as opposed to the current years standardised tests

on the “crap” schools, being pushed might be one factor but It’s far from the only one or main one

Oh that is super dodgy, I'd be furious if that got applied. The year above mine was full of, let's call them, "non-academically inclined" sorts

And yeah there are other factors as well for "crap" schools, like resources, teachers, and also quality of other students (such as selective schools basically cherry picking the good ones). Course selection and availability is also important, for instance, I had to choose between a subject and joining my school's cricket team actually. I know other students moved schools to get certain subjects that their previous school didn't even offer.

Posted (edited)

Pedantic I know but just a reminder kids in the UK leave school at 15/16. There were no schools around my area that offered a continuation to A Levels post what you would consider year 10 school certificate, I think there are a few now but not many. Still seems strange to me that you have kids up to 18 years of age walking around a school ground in uniform. School was over for me at 15 and was the same for all of my friends. 

To go on to an A Level at college in any given subject you had to get grade A - C in that subject at GCSE, or perhaps you could do a entrance exam, certainly not a given that all kids would get on an A Level. It was never something that I viewed as being possible, many from my 'area' didn't. Imagine only being allowed to advance to the HSC years 11 and 12 based on ability and being kicked out in year 10 if considered not up to it. A Levels are 2 years and you had to pass exams to advance to the second year also.

As the GCSE's (year 10) results have not been released as yet I assume the fuss is over the A Levels.

Edited by Smoggy

I had to laugh earlier this morning when I heard Trump announce that he didn't want the US to experience the 'surge' in Covid cases like New Zealand has had recently.

On 18/08/2020 at 12:57 PM, MartinTyler said:

I had to laugh earlier this morning when I heard Trump announce that he didn't want the US to experience the 'surge' in Covid cases like New Zealand has had recently.

trump is a top class comedian, he is so dedicated to his craft and so dedicated to the parody persona he has created for himself

Looks like the Trump campaign strategy of attacking Biden’s mental state may have backfired. If you believe them then Biden is a dribbling idiot who can’t string a sentence together, but all that did was lower the bar so far that now anything more substantial than “person woman man camera tv” makes him look like a genius.

It was a great speech!

Must have damn good speech writers, obviously, and he can clearly still read. :lol::lol:

^^^What can you say to that? :fool:

you cant have poor being dying with dignity, who gave them a right to dignity ever? :P

seriously though i am still not sure how to argue with that, dont know where to start

On 08/08/2020 at 9:16 PM, wendybr said:

On 08/08/2020 at 11:46 PM, Cynth said:

Wow. Fascinating and well written article, 

On 13/08/2020 at 2:16 PM, EmMac said:

A fabulous article

On 14/08/2020 at 11:38 PM, Midfielder said:

Words fail me .... one of the best things I have read recently... sadly I doubt it will be widely read... 

For those of you who found that article extraordinary,  here is its author talking on  Late Night Liive.

H does cover a lot from the article, plus some...

Worth listening... to encounter the ideas explored in the article again.

Apparently the article has had many millions of people read it!!

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/the-end-of-the-american-era/12597368

i think if i lived in the US i would be cowering in my house for the past 4 months, seriously screwed up what is happening there

Listen from 15:00 minutes...

8 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i think if i lived in the US i would be cowering in my house for the past 4 months, seriously screwed up what is happening there

I'd have to agree; regardless of who wins in November the place is fooked

Just saw some polls in the US swing states and Trump is roaring back and is now leading in stats he was well behind in...

2 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Just saw some polls in the US swing states and Trump is roaring back and is now leading in stats he was well behind in...

You got links to those polls?

5 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

You got links to those polls?

TWAS om MSNBC youtube ... and was also on a 'The Young Turks" youtube ...

I will see if I can find them but they both have so many youtubes  I will try ...

In-explainable if it continues ... also saw an interesting comparison of conveys of middle eastern  mostly young men flying flags with guns driving to support their cause and that Trump has conveys that look the same...

I think Trump will loose but if he wins ... I have this horrible feeling in my gut .... 

In summary to come to the point the polls still show Biden winning .... but the chaos and the L & O issues he has caused ....  

This is The Young Turk youtube and it refers to the MSNBC and other polls..