Around the Bloc Podcast Season 7

701 - ATB Reform

The team is back for Season 7. We discuss the changes in Australian Football with the fallout of the Congress vote, updates on various WSW news and look towards our FFA Cup Semi Final vs Sydney FC.

This is Around the Bloc.

https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/701-atb-reform/

On iTunes, your podcast app or Spotify. Search Around the Bloc podcast.

Great pod guys

Breaking the new Jersey, sort of.

Hopefully, next week will be a season preview with an FFA Cup semi-final win.

So add some points 

Coaching staff changes 

Babbel and JP. Are the a good combo?

Will JP help us get one over Muscat (now that there's only one in the league).

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Great pod guys

Breaking the new Jersey, sort of.

Hopefully, next week will be a season preview with an FFA Cup semi-final win.

So add some points 

Coaching staff changes 

Babbel and JP. Are the a good combo?

Will JP help us get one over Muscat (now that there's only one in the league).

Tune in next week to find out ;)

704 – Season Starts Now

The team gets together to talk the latest Australian football and Wanderers news. We also discuss every A-League team heading into the new season and our Round 1 match away to Perth Glory.

This is Around the Bloc.

Out now on iTunes, your podcast app and Spotify

https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/704-season-starts-now/

705 – Point Taken

This week we offer our ideas on how to improve the Western Stand of Western Sydney Stadium and discuss the tough away draw to Popa’s Perth Glory. We also look towards the W-League season kicking off this week with a Sydney Derby followed by the A-League Sydney Derby at the SCG.

This is Around the Bloc.

https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/705-point-taken/

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Kosmina on Fox gives the referees a gob full as well telling them that they don't understand football.

I wasn't a big fan of his argument. He kept saying the decision was technically right but a "football" person wouldn't have given it. The decision is either right or it isn't and I don't think it was even technically right.

It's like when people argue against a decision because it "ruined the game". If the decision was correct it's correct.

12 minutes ago, Davo said:

I wasn't a big fan of his argument. He kept saying the decision was technically right but a "football" person wouldn't have given it. The decision is either right or it isn't and I don't think it was even technically right.

It's like when people argue against a decision because it "ruined the game". If the decision was correct it's correct.

My guess knowing Kosmina is that he just went the wrong way about expressing his argument.

The point is, technically they have deemed it the right decision, but technically there are ALOT of indiscretions in a game especially under a multi cam, slow mo system that can distort the reality of the event into subjectivity. 

Technically Brosque was in the vacinity when offside for the Le Fondre goal, Baccus even slightly shaved him and lost balance whilst turning. They VAR'd this and well we know what happened. You can't be technical half the time, and i'd argue the reason why the game is not officiated to the exact letter of the law or "technically" during regular play is because it is impossible. 

IMO the current system only makes decision making harder for the ref. What should he do? If in doubt play on and let the VAR intervene, or officiate knowing his interpretation can be clarified. The system can never be perfect because not ALL the right decisions can be made all game, only in these key moments. So why have a separate technical analysis only then. Make it simple

I just think it should be completely ref'd by the central referee, and when a decision is made, goal or similar is scored and their is confusion from the referee he can ask for help (send it up). As it stands the VAR "intervenes". It is Video ASSISTANT referee for a reason, to assist the main ref i don't believe it should be intervening. Even the NRL sends its calls with a clear question. And they cannot intervene if it was not a try scoring play, even if the indiscretion occurred the tackle before. 

For example:

a) Sotirio should have been judged by the linesman or Ref to have been offside and within play. Whistle blown end of story. Ball doesn't even get to Roly. If 2 on-field officials have not deemed this a technical offense during play, and the video evidence has to be scrutinized so much that it becomes subjective, it is no longer a clear and obvious error, it is now a third interpretation, and in no way an assistant anymore.

b) Baumjohann is fouled, ref blows freekick or pen, where is it exactly, video ref checks its actually outside of the box. OR it may be a clean tackle mistake fixed. In this case there was no clear evidence to suggest Jop wins the ball. But the system in place currently is that the VAR can intervene, so there is less reason for the Ref to make the call, and i would say the ref's decision could have been different on the spot because lets be honest, it looked a foul 9 times out of 10. Instead an un-natural halt to the game would have to occur to fix that decision. 

All in all, let VAR fix a "decision" that has been whistled by the ref. Is it a clear offside that the video evidence portrays? Clear hand ball? Was that actually a dive? Was that inside the box? Did you just red card a guy for no contact? Thats where the assistance was needed, clear and crucial mistakes where there is evidence, so nations like Ireland can actually play in the world cup they rightly qualified for. Not this ****. 

707 – Win in the Wind

On this week’s episode the ATB team discuss the first win of the 2018/19 season in Wellington. We speculate that Babbel consumes our content with his approach to the Nix game. We also look towards our match in Mudgee against a vulnerable Brisbane Roar.

This is Around the Bloc.

https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/707-win-in-the-wind/

Ok Josh, 

for your Friday effort

the Roar guys are suggesting a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Suggestions that o’toole will be out to be replaced by Bowles.

caletti to the bench

wenzel-halls in behind Taggart 

suggested Roar line up

Young;
Hingert, Pepper, Avraam, Bowles;
Mikkelsen, TK, Lopez, Bautheac;
Wenzel-Halls;
Taggart.

Edited by Paul01
Added info
10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Ok Josh, 

for your Friday effort

the Roar guys are suggesting a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Suggestions that o’toole will be out to be replaced by Bowles.

caletti to the bench

wenzel-halls in behind Taggart 

suggested Roar line up

Young;
Hingert, Pepper, Avraam, Bowles;
Mikkelsen, TK, Lopez, Bautheac;
Wenzel-Halls;
Taggart.

Sorry Paul, I missed this last night. 

I like the idea of a number ten playing in behind Taggart. I feel they've been missing that the last couple of weeks as service to Taggart can be difficult for the Roar to create. 

I felt in the second half against Perth that McKay, Kristensen and Bauthéac (coming in more centrally) was creating better link up play to find opportunities around Perth's two holding midfielders. It'll be interesting if they replicate that against us as our DM's and back line is our weak spot currently. 

I felt O'Toole had a good game against the Phoenix. To pull him out as a result of a performance against Perth (guessing here) may be harsh as Perth is probably the best at the moment in going down the wings (Davidson, Franjic, Ikonomidis, etc.). I'm more concerned by Pepper as a centre back. Keogh was able to pull him out of position constantly in their match last week and I have no doubts that Riera could do the same.

In terms of formation; if Roar go to a 4-4-1-1 - it doesn't tell me how the midfield will transition in attack or defence. With Kristensen & Lopez being the CM there - it may leave the Roar back line exposed in a counter. I'd maybe even go McKay as he can break up play and his a bit rougher too. I'll wait and see. :good:

The Meow is really missing Mauk, creating that #10 linkup to Taggart that should have been uber-effective in rd1 if Taggart was firing.

So saying, Taggart obviously improved against Perth as he was playing both ends of the pitch:
"Perth were able to penetrate by going down to the byline and cutting back or crossing early to find Taggart available."

;)