Sign in to follow this  
Erebus

Around the Bloc Podcast Season 7

Love and appreciate the work you guys put in to the pod every week, and it is usually a highlight, but I had to turn this week's one off halfway through

I've been pretty anxious about doing this episode even for the lols. For the record, I did think it would be funny to do. I can certainly understand everybody turning it off a fraction in to the episode. 

This week, we had the following issues:

1. No Game

2. No Controversy 

3. No guest lined up

4. No ATB Feedback (as we had done one a couples of weeks before)

The only content we could've delivered was an evaluation of the season thus far. Which would've been pointless with only 5 rounds left to go. It's also something we would do post season. 

Next time there's a split round and we don't have a game - we will be prepared and organise some quality content. 

For those that listened all the way through, there was some quality discussion surrounding the ACL and the A-League's approach to it. I hope that was enjoyable and something that people are interested in once we return to the ACL. 

Apologies if this week's joke of an episode went too far. 

Edited by spectacular291

50 minutes ago, spectacular291 said:

I've been pretty anxious about doing this episode even for the lols. For the record, I did think it would be funny to do. I can certainly understand everybody turning it off a fraction in to the episode. 

1. No Game

2. No Controversy 

3. No guest lined up

The only content we could've delivered was an evaluation of the season thus far. Which would've been pointless with only 5 rounds left to go. It's also something we would do post season. 

Next time there's a split round and we don't have a game - we will be prepared and organise some quality content. 

For those that listened all the way through, there was some quality discussion surrounding the ACL and the A-League's approach to it. I hope that was enjoyable and something that people are interested in once we return to the ACL. 

I liked the stuff on ACL, especially since you called out the foreign players debate when Victory have Toivenen and Honda, and also have former or fringe Socceroos in that team (Antonis, Deng, Valeri, Triosi).

Bridge also said the same thing in an article where our local players are not getting any better but the rest of Asia had. The tactics used in the A-league don't work against the Asian teams because technically they are better than our Aussie players. Its almost like A-league teams are unsure how to counter different style of play because everyone plays the same here.

I also don't think clubs (never mind AFC) do enough to advertise champions. Remember our first Champions league we got average 10,000 in the group stage the club advertised champions league that whole second season right from the renewal of memberships. Everyone wanted to get involved because it was an event.

When I took my dad to champions league for Sydney Fc against Guangzhou (his an East fanI had no idea what was happening until a week before. Sydney Fc did zero advertisement for champions league until the week before when tickets were on sale I think there was a derby a few days before and they announced it after the game. 

For me Champions league is a bigger trophy than A-league for obvious reasons $$$ but I don't think clubs advertise it like that.

2 hours ago, Erebus said:

The Best and Worst of Wanderers vs Brisbane Roar (Rd 21)

https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/the-best-and-worst-of-wanderers-vs-brisbane-roar-rd-21/

Glad you're back. Nail - head yet again. I especially was glad to see your Riera comments. Good to know I'm not the only one who sees what you see. I've speculated recently that Riera was carrying an injury for some time before he had a couple of weeks out injured as he's come back looking fitter and faster than previously. 

Discussed our chances of making the finals with my son.

I said to him that my estimate is currently 25% chance but a win against the Nix is probably 40%. 

Covered everything.

Good job

On 08/03/2019 at 10:52 AM, spectacular291 said:

1. No Game

2. No Controversy 

3. No guest lined up

i enjoyed it. 

THIS WEEK ON ATB: PTI

"Pardon the Interruption" show! We've stolen the timeless ESPN format for our show this week and we will be debating 6 topics at ten minutes a piece. Emphasis on the word "debate". 

We have got some ideas as to what topics to debate but would like to hear your input and have it incorporated on the show. Feel free to post here, on our twitter, facebook or even email us with your feedback at feedback@aroundthebloc.com.au

Cheers

Josh

Edited by spectacular291

One idea.

What in the panel's opinion are the keys positions Wanderers need to be strengthened in for next season?

Good listen so far.

Why don't people take up Fox Sports subscriptions. $61 per month to a cretin in Murdoch.

BTW Fox Sports owns KAYO. I think that $25 per month.

I hate that the FFA went down the Telstra line as the free service.

Fox Sports lost the ratings when they lost the EPL. And top of that the David Gallop (And henchmen) have killed off our point of difference,  Active Support. It's his legacy to she who shall not be named (she-devil with a pen).

42 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Good listen so far.

Why don't people take up Fox Sports subscriptions. $61 per month to a cretin in Murdoch.

BTW Fox Sports owns KAYO. I think that $25 per month.

I hate that the FFA went down the Telstra line as the free service.

Fox Sports lost the ratings when they lost the EPL. And top of that the David Gallop (And henchmen) have killed off our point of difference,  Active Support. It's his legacy to she who shall not be named (she-devil with a pen).

losing EPL and recently UCL to optus has made a lot of people cancel their foxtel sports if football was their main reason for having foxtel. I couldn't justify paying that much just to watch the A League and foxtel don't budge when you try to cancel by offering just a sports channel on its own with having the compulsary crap channels for $30. Kayo does me now for $25 a month as long the internet has a decent connection and reaches the minimum speeds

FTBL is a Smurf enterprise so not unlike them to copy the best.

BTW Mahazi gave his best impression of Kearyn Baccus with a shot off target in the first half.

Losing EPL and champions league was a big blow for Foxtel were seeing that now but also for A-league on Foxtel because it was packaged together. Foxtel has not adequately replaced the EPL and of course people are turning away. Even for myself I find it hard to justify paying subscription to foxtel's sports package or Kayo if I am just gonna watch A-league. I Prefer Optus for football because it has more, A-league I get lucky with the dodgy My football live app stream.

And I absolutely agree A-league should not been on Foxtel's demands either because we do have options unlike 15 years ago. We can  go to Optus, twitter, youtube or as rumour goes has channel 10. And people bagging channel 10 about purchasing A-league think about this way that channel needs sport it has nothing really in its summer slot and despite the numbers it is willing to invest in A-league to compete with  channel 9 and 7. As mentioned by your podcast with the current deal there is no incentive to market the games, but with an improved deal you could see some changes.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

FTBL is a Smurf enterprise so not unlike them to copy the best.

They might have SFC fans within their writer's ranks, but as a whole it isn't a SFC enterprise. Kevin Airs who runs it is agnostic from a HAL team perspective.

But its ok, they came up with the BnW on their own.... :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Erebus said:

The Best and Worst of Wanderers vs Newcastle Jets (Rd 24)

https://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/the-best-and-worst-of-wanderers-vs-newcastle-jets-rd-24/

I usually enjoy reading your b & w but that was so depressing - accurate of course but depressingly so. Aaah well ........

Try writing it :rofl:

There's only so much you can write the same thing week in, week out. It is depressing. Story of the season.

PS I also smashed it out at work at the end of a long and busy work day

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

Try writing it :rofl:

There's only so much you can write the same thing week in, week out. It is depressing. Story of the season.

PS I also smashed it out at work at the end of a long and busy work day

Next week will be easy:

Worst  - we lost again

Best - the score could have been worse

OR

Best - we won

Worst - the score could have been better

Boys, you obviously didn't get the message that Baccus is apparently not suspended but in the squad.  That may not change the result but changes most of the conversation about our midfield possibilities.  At least we can only hope so.

Not sure of the relevance of kebab-gate - perhaps you could have provided a nutritional analysis of the various types of kebab and how that might positively impact a player's performance.  (Rather than how the various forms of kebab impact the spectator's comfort...).