Climate Change & Alternative Energy

20 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Last Monday on Q & A Eric Abetz said [and this makes me so F.....G mad] that when will India & China do their part and until they do why should we?

That's always been their go-to argument. :nono:

25 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Last Monday on Q & A Eric Abetz said [and this makes me so F.....G mad] that when will India & China do their part and until they do why should we.

This is a list of the worlds biggest solar plants.... 4 in India, 2 In China, 1 in Mexico, and the last in the UAE and look at the size of these monsters... They must know this ...

https://www.power-technology.com/features/the-worlds-biggest-solar-power-plants/

Anything that Australia does in terms of climate change is purely based on politics. Nothing we do in Australia will have a major global impact on climate change. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do our own fair share and it doesn't mean we should be lecturing other economies like China and India. Where possible we should be weaning our way off coal power stations and other polluting energy sources and getting onto clean energy sources. 

I hate the fact that Abetz has the balls to tell China and India to do their part. Its easy to target countries who have over 1 Billion people each and whose economies have not matured to the same degree as the USA, Europe or even little O'l Australia. As long as China and India are working towards more solar, wind, thermal, hydro etc etc we have nothing to bitch about. In the end we will cop it because none of our leaders have the stomach to make tough forward thinking decisions like the Chinese or the Indian governments. 

Edited by Jukes01
9 hours ago, Jukes01 said:

Anything that Australia does in terms of climate change is purely based on politics. Nothing we do in Australia will have a major global impact on climate change. Doesn't mean we shouldn't do our own fair share and it doesn't mean we should be lecturing other economies like China and India. Where possible we should be weaning our way off coal power stations and other polluting energy sources and getting onto clean energy sources. 

I hate the fact that Abetz has the balls to tell China and India to do their part. Its easy to target countries who have over 1 Billion people each and whose economies have not matured to the same degree as the USA, Europe or even little O'l Australia. As long as China and India are working towards more solar, wind, thermal, hydro etc etc we have nothing to bitch about. In the end we will cop it because none of our leaders have the stomach to make tough forward thinking decisions like the Chinese or the Indian governments. 

Actually both governments have stated polices of moving to alternative energy and are years ahead of us.

To illustrate the point, the next link is a list of Australian Coal fired power stations and their capacity, note our largest is  Eraring with a capacity of 2,880 MW, but most are under 2,000MW. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coal_fired_power_stations_in_Australia

This vid is from India and will be commissioned latter THIS year or early next year and has a capacity of 2,700 MW, making it bigger than all but one of Australia's coal power stations.... 

Next time someone says but what about India & China ... say they are light years ahead of us...

Enjoy... Watch the entire thing as India soon expects to be the worlds solar energy leader and a world hub for solar power with over 100GW by 2020. Yet those pricks keep saying when will they do their part.... its us that's dragging the chain.

Almost a must watch even through short vid.

Edited by Midfielder

This is hhhhmmmmmm teachers out there this is amazing... and anyone interested in research I found this article from the Royal Society of Chemistry...  OK its a research paper and its complex [thats an understatement] BUT BUT BUT what they are doing is mind blowing ... warning long nay very long and complex but unbelievably interesting...

enjoy .... PS Mack I think you will enjoy this 

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlepdf/2019/ee/c8ee02341g

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

This is hhhhmmmmmm teachers out there this is amazing... and anyone interested in research I found this article from the Royal Society of Chemistry...  OK its a research paper and its complex [thats an understatement] BUT BUT BUT what they are doing is mind blowing ... warning long nay very long and complex but unbelievably interesting...

Electro-mechanical engineering, metallurgy and applied mathematics isn't really my wheelhouse but I'll give it a shot.image.png.d8b4a3c80ea8c113bcd0b42bdd7d945f.png 

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Lucky there was an abstract! :D

17 minutes ago, mack said:

Electro-mechanical engineering, metallurgy and applied mathematics isn't really my wheelhouse but I'll give it a shot.image.png.d8b4a3c80ea8c113bcd0b42bdd7d945f.png 

Confess this a tad outside my wheelhouse as well... however that this level of research is being done illustrates how beyond pathetic the arguments about coal are... like who do you trust people of this ilk and those who can put a person on Mars... or a radio talk back host  ...

Next time someone argues ... you can say this is science and research being carried out on how to store the suns power to use latter... IMO Un F.....g believable ...  so impressive ...

As for teachers out there great holiday thing to give the kids especially those who went on strike over climate change...

good News 

NSW plans to supercharge pumped hydro

COLE LATIMER DECEMBER 11, 2018

The New South Wales government plans 24 new pumped hydro projects that would provide about half of the state's demand for electricity on the hottest days and three times the power of Snowy 2.0.

It follows the NSW government's launch of a pumped hydro roadmap designed to ramp up the development of new hydro storage projects and back up the rising levels of new wind and solar generation.

Pumped hydro storage will be used to back up the rise of new wind and solar generation.

Pumped hydro storage will be used to back up the rise of new wind and solar generation.Credit:Andrew Sheargold

The 24 proposed projects come after the federal government worked with the Australian National University to identify about 22,000 reservoirs that could be used to form around 98,000 possible pumped hydro projects around the country.

Pumped hydro works by running water from a dam downhill through a turbine to generate electricity and then using excess energy to pump it back up the hill to run through again.

The shortlisted sites could provide a total generation capacity of about 7000 megawatts. This is triple the size of the amount of generation added by Snowy 2.0 and more than double the size of the country's largest coal-fired power station, Origin's Eraring facility in NSW.

NSW Energy Minister Don Harwin said the pumped hydro storage plants will help back up the $26 billion worth of new renewable energy projects being built in the state.

“Pumped hydro delivers the long-term, utility-scale energy storage that is critical to achieving a smooth transition to renewables in NSW,” Mr Harwin said.

The state government has identified a number of potential pumped hydro storage sites around the state, ranking them by viability.

The state government has identified a number of potential pumped hydro storage sites around the state, ranking them by viability.Credit:NSW Government

“This roadmap will drive future investment to ensure our energy system in NSW is robust and reliable into the future.”

The new pumped hydro projects will be built at dams already owned and operated by WaterNSW.

The state government will spend about $55 million to fund pre-investment studies and has already invited private developers to propose projects on the sites.

How pumped hydro works.

How pumped hydro works.Credit:Hydro Tasmania

The majority of the best pumped hydro storage sites are located within a triangle in the state’s north-east, between Coffs Harbor, Armidale and Port Macquarie, as well as a number of potential sites between Batemans Bay and the Victorian border on the south coast.

Minister for regional water, Niall Blair, said by using existing state-owned dams it speeds up their development.

“This is a great use of our dams,” Mr Blair said.

“We have received enormous interest from the private sector with 65 commercial opportunities identified, 24 of which WaterNSW has selected for further investigation.

“The projects range from new traditional hydro projects to battery storage – but predominately pumped hydro combined with wind, solar or both.”

NSW currently has around 4700 megawatts of pumped hydro power across the state.

The state and federal governments are not the only groups ramping up hydro projects. AGL has worked with Japanese firm Idemitsu to turn a former Hunter Valley coal mine into a pumped hydro storage plant to replace the energy that will be lost when AGL closes its coal-fired Liddell power station in 2022.

Origin is planning to double its existing Shoalhaven pumped hydro storage capability in the NSW Kangaroo Valley, near Wollongong.

The $250 million Shoalhaven expansion plan, which received $2 million in funding from the federal government, could provide renewable baseload power for around 80,000 homes.

And the dinosaurs in the federal liberal party to subsidize fossil fuel generators

Coalition signals it will provide taxpayer support for new and existing coal plants

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/13/coalition-signals-it-will-provide-taxpayer-support-for-new-and-existing-coal-plants?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

15 hours ago, Paul01 said:

And the dinosaurs in the federal liberal party to subsidize fossil fuel generators

Coalition signals it will provide taxpayer support for new and existing coal plants

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/13/coalition-signals-it-will-provide-taxpayer-support-for-new-and-existing-coal-plants?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The election can’t come soon enough. 

16 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Dinosaurs indeed.

Let's hope this govt goes the way of the dinosaurs in a few months time. They are utterly shameless.

It's almost like you are trapped in a dream with a bunch of werido's ...

Having said that if we need to support some existing coal power plants while we create our other alternative supplies I am OK with that as we do need power..

But the economics are today its cheaper to build solar and wind that coal and cheaper to make...

2 hours ago, Bones said:

Where I work they are installing solar panels to ease some of the power costs, it's a big installation. The bean counters have obviously costed it up and realized they could save some money using solar power.

However, if we ran our entire operation on solar power it wouldn't work, within about 6 hours we'd start polluting the environment and the fines we'd receive from the EPA would very quickly move into the million$.

We need coal for now or a move to nuclear. 

We do need coal for now  but the answer is to build on scale ...solar / wind / and hydro power plants and support them with storage .... and the cost for doing this is less than building new coal power plants...

Its beyond crazy as some suggest to do away with coal overnight .. however if in 20 years we still have one coal power station it would be beyond crazy as they cost more to run and more to build ... then there's that small added benefit that it helps the environment ...

4 hours ago, Bones said:

True, but that's assuming in 20 years the technology to provide power with renewables is able to cope with our increasing power needs, it's not a sure thing.

That my friend is the great lie put out by the oil / coal / gas folk.. 

The answer is beyond simple ...

Until relatively recently say 4 to 5 years the number of organisation making solar panels was few and the number of panels also was few.... a good example would be the first car makers or the first home computer makers ...the same applies to batteries...

As time passed two things happened to both the car and personal computer industries ... first the number of plants grew by massive amounts, so much so that some cities became almost car cities... second in both industries the original car and PC has been hugely improved and got much cheaper... You could also apply this to phones as well...

Solar is the same, today their are a huge number of new plants being build to produce panels, and the capacity of each panel in improving constantly... in fact China & India are locked in a battle to be the world leaders in these new technologies ... so when the fossil industry sends out messages about the inability to meet demand ... while it may be a fact today it won't be a fact within a very short time frame. 

If you want i can put some vids up highlighting this .... 

Nay not assumptions its happening before our very eyes... new plants are being build.... the research into film over existing panels . is growing by the day...

This is a vid from essentially a Wall Street Investment house .... and BTW try getting finance on a new coal mine ... its short 4 minutes ... but it shows whats happening .. BTW Elon Musk who is referred too in the vid has started building his second battery factory... his first is the single biggest factory in the world but thats not so important just given some substance to this vid, which is about 15 months old but still worth watching...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This vid should be broadcast on FTA TV.... so well put together and shows how unbelievably.... Pathetic , Pitiable, Tragic. Distressing, Heart-Breaking, Woeful, Lamentable, Absurd, Contemptable, Feeble, Derisory, Laughable, Wretched, Weak, the arguments by the Fossil Fuel industry.

Blew me away when it was Margret Thachter who YELLED the warning ... and how tragic the work by Jimmy Carter not being followed through.  

The above vid is not that easy to watch BUT by F...K,.... its good ...

Show to your kids and share as much as possible and do watch the entire thing...

Thanks sorry for the rant but it is BRILLIANT ... 

• mack locked this topic