Climate Change & Alternative Energy

28 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Notwithstanding that , he has intruded and money and assistance has flowed. Interestingly when some retired Fire chief named Mullins criticized  the Commonwealth NSW RFS Chief told the Sunrise program " We've had tremendous support from the Commonwealth and we got everything we asked "

Then tell me why is the RFS ringing me and other people I know to ask for assistance? 1 call last week and 1 the week before. When I told the caller that the public has been told by several Fire commissioners and Morrison that they had everything his answer was that those Firies on the ground were telling a different story.

14 hours ago, Unlimited said:

Also on whoever said that Australia only contributes like 1.3% of global warming and hence shouldn't do anything... wtf

By the time I get to shower at night, I'm only using like... maybe 2% of the water that day, but if my girlfriend hops in the shower after me and we're out of hot water, I'm gonna be single again lol

I think you should have a longer shower regardless if you want to keep that girlfriend :)

But to your point, we export a large amount of coal. If we didn't, it's likely to be sourced in other countries. Coal isn't the future and we should be investing in other energy sources like Hydrogen. It annoys me the most that we aren't looking into alternative energy sources to grow more jobs in this country. We're a passenger.

12 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

So your happy with Morrison’s handling of the disaster? and his inaction on climate change? 

That is your expectation of a leader?

So Climate Change, do you believe in it?

do you think it is something that we should act on?

Happy with his handling of the disaster overall , and so is the NSW RFS chief, and within the constraints of the Constitution  , what inaction  ? We are meeting our agreed targets and we have 1.3% of global emissions.

Climate Change has been around for I believe for 4.5 billion years. For example at least five ice ages  when humans didn't even exist. 

Already being acted upon , but again our emissions are 1.3% of the global total. Don't even touch the sides.

Any , why am I answering your questions , I'm not here for your benefit old son .

8 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Then tell me why is the RFS ringing me and other people I know to ask for assistance? 1 call last week and 1 the week before. When I told the caller that the public has been told by several Fire commissioners and Morrison that they had everything his answer was that those Firies on the ground were telling a different story.

Well they should be telling their RFS  boss  shouldn't they not you. What are you going to do ? 

7 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Well they should be telling their RFS  boss  shouldn't they not you. What are you going to do ? 

54 minutes ago, theseeker said:

As an aside why is the Midfielder with the Mariners logo posting on a Wanderers website ? Don't the Mariners have a website ?

He's much more welcome on here than you are. At least he's not a Sydney fc SUPPORTER.

6 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Happy with his handling of the disaster overall , and so is the NSW RFS chief, and within the constraints of the Constitution  , what inaction  ? We are meeting our agreed targets and we have 1.3% of global emissions.

Climate Change has been around for I believe for 4.5 billion years. For example at least five ice ages  when humans didn't even exist. 

Already being acted upon , but again our emissions are 1.3% of the global total. Don't even touch the sides.

Any , why am I answering your questions , I'm not here for your benefit old son .

Give. you don’t believe that climate change is real.

It is a waste of time talking 1.3% figure? As any real action is too much, for you. We could be 90% or 0.013% it’s not relevant If you don’t accept the science that there is a problem in the first place.

You don’t have to answer my questions it’s fine. But the interest of reaching across the divide and for @wendybr view that it we should always try and reason (when I’d rather jam my cock in a car door than go through the process of having to research each of your statements)

The core is Why is it that you doubt IPCC, NASA, CSIRO and every reputable university, evidence of climate change and mans impact. We can go backward and forward with % targets and debate if Morrison is a tosser or not.

But the key here is the evidence is clear that it’s real, regardless of left or right. Yet you won’t accept it, so geniuely interested in what it is or was that caused you to abandon science.

Because we both know the climate has always been changing theory has already been dealt with by scientists. 

On the 1.3% thing, I read recently that if you add up all of the countries with carbon emissions equal to or less than ours it makes up roughly 40% of total emissions, which as a group is bigger than any of the individual big emitters.

Even if the US, China, India etc decided to reduce carbon emissions it wouldn't be enough if that 40% decided that they "don't even touch the sides".

The thing I find annoying about those who say CC is not happening is the hypocrisy. Take for instance Tony " CC is crap Abbott" or Pauline " CC is rubbish " Hanson or the conservatives  Craig " spot the brain cell " Kelly " .....etc 

So they don't believe in CC.....fair enough, but they are then quite prepared to waste taxpayer $'s on reduction schemes that they say are not required, and they do nothing about insurance companies hiking up premiums for their constituents when those same companies say the rises are due to increased exposure to CC. Yet again are doing nothing when those premiums flow through the economy in increased prices.......for everything. They are quite happy for the people to pay for something that isn't real to them.

Hypocrisy writ large. 

6 hours ago, theseeker said:

So as someone who,  no doubt, doesn't want the government reaching into your wallet, does it worry you that IF the govt had ordered those 5 firefighting aircraft at a cost of 20 million, before fire services got totally overwhelmed, the gov't now wouldnt be having to spend many times that amount mopping up the mess?

Ad campaigns to lure international tourists back (30-40% cancellation rate I think I heard yesterday, and potential loss to the nation of 4.5 billion dollars for 2020)....as just one of the costs to the gov't as a result of negligence?

PS Don't worry about me developing any unhealthy obsessions here. I need somewhere to vent my grief for a billion incinerated animals, and millions more still suffering.

People all over the world are grieving over that.

41 minutes ago, wendybr said:

So as someone who,  no doubt, doesn't want the government reaching into your wallet, does it worry you that IF the govt had ordered those 5 firefighting aircraft at a cost of 20 million, before fire services got totally overwhelmed, the gov't now wouldnt be having to spend many times that amount mopping up the mess?

Ad campaigns to lure international tourists back (30-40% cancellation rate I think I heard yesterday, and potential loss to the nation of 4.5 billion dollars for 2020)....as just one of the costs to the gov't as a result of negligence?

PS Don't worry about me developing any unhealthy obsessions here. I need somewhere to vent my grief for a billion incinerated animals, and millions more still suffering.

People all over the world are grieving over that.

The planes would not have stopped the big fires Wendy.  They may have protected more property on the lower fire rated days but would have made no difference on the high and extreme weather days.  As far as I know they aren't usable for night fire fighting either.  Special helicopters in Victoria were used for the first time for night fire fighting but even they have limitations.  Fires in eucalyptus forests are always going to happen. in fact they are essential.

The animals would still have been killed and hurt even if we adopted better climate change policy a decade ago.  The warming factors that affect our climate and produce our weather respond to global emissions.

5 minutes ago, Flytox said:

The planes would not have stopped the big fires Wendy.  They may have protected more property on the lower fire rated days but would have made no difference on the high and extreme weather days.  As far as I know they aren't usable for night fire fighting either.  Special helicopters in Victoria were used for the first time for night fire fighting but even they have limitations.  Fires in eucalyptus forests are always going to happen. in fact they are essential.

The animals would still have been killed and hurt even if we adopted better climate change policy a decade ago.  The warming factors that affect our climate and produce our weather respond to global emissions.

Hi Flytox

I know they wouldn't have stopped the fires, but we'll never know what difference they COULD  have made.

They could have made SOME difference....if they'd been here for the past 4 months, instead of just arriving now.

:):)

5 hours ago, sonar said:

Craig " spot the brain cell " Kelly " .....etc 

An interesting point on """Kelly""" the liberal party hhhmmm not sure of the name I think its called the local branch but each seat has a group of people belonging to a party that select the member they want to represent them.

At times the ""'party""' may want someone and the locals someone else... 

It beyond unusual for a sitting member to be voted out by the local party branch almost unheard of in Australian politics from all parties where the local branch members want to kick out their own elected member.

Kelly was voted out by his branch by a big margin.... and "Scott the marketing guy" overruled the local branch and appointed Kelly over a local member. chosen by members of Kelly's local branch.. guess what the member the local branch had chosen.... was a strong believer in CC...   but ""Scott the marketing guy""" used some power PM's have and reappointed Kelly ...

14 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

An interesting point on """Kelly""" the liberal party hhhmmm not sure of the name I think its called the local branch but each seat has a group of people belonging to a party that select the member they want to represent them.

At times the ""'party""' may want someone and the locals someone else... 

It beyond unusual for a sitting member to be voted out by the local party branch almost unheard of in Australian politics from all parties where the local branch members want to kick out their own elected member.

Kelly was voted out by his branch by a big margin.... and "Scott the marketing guy" overruled the local branch and appointed Kelly over a local member. chosen by members of Kelly's local branch.. guess what the member the local branch had chosen.... was a strong believer in CC...   but ""Scott the marketing guy""" used some power PM's have and reappointed Kelly ...

My point has nothing to do with the party but more to do with their hypocrisy on CC. If they fervently believe it isn't real they shouldn't be be prepared to shaft their constituents by voting for and allowing:

a) govt funds to be used for emission reduction instead of for hospitals,schools etc,

b) Insurance companies to hike premiums due to exposure to a supposed non existent CC. That flows through to all sectors of the economy as they are factured in to the prices of products and services.

13 minutes ago, sonar said:

My point has nothing to do with the party but more to do with their hypocrisy on CC. If they fervently believe it isn't real they shouldn't be be prepared to shaft their constituents by voting for and allowing:

a) govt funds to be used for emission reduction instead of for hospitals,schools etc,

b) Insurance companies to hike premiums due to exposure to a supposed non existent CC. That flows through to all sectors of the economy as they are factured in to the prices of products and services.

I really think most on that side now DO believe that the climate is changing.

Lived experience is telling us that.

Barbaby Joyce says so, Morrison has said so, his govt thinks so (apparently), The Australian (apparently) says so.

But a lot, as TheSeeker did,  would say it's natural, rather than in influenced by human CO2 emissions.

So the Coalition will baulk at anything to do with emissions reductions, but may concede that insurance costs are skyrocketing, and therefore it is justifiable to have insurance companies increase their premiums.

I think it's like kids crossing their fingers behind their backs as they tell a lie...or a half truth (well that used to be a thing ;)).

"Yes yes climate change is real!" you might get from them....but that doesn't mean they think we can or should do anything about it except get ready to adapt to it.

Bit less to worry about that way. 

Sad lol.

4 hours ago, sonar said:

My guess is somewhere between 75 & 85 % of the population agree with you...and that is growing...

I have no idea why the hard right conservatives are terrified of talk back radio, sky after dark and News tabloid papers... its not as if the other side is going to jump into their place..

Me thinks and this is sad ... that power for powers sake is the game, not whats best for the country... 

This is hurting the CC debate hhhmmm debate is the wrong word its how to introduce CC polices and for that it means winning government ...

I hope Albo is up to the job... early days yet ... so I am undecided but not overly impressed to date.... 

I read somewhere, I think it was the AFR, about what the LNP will do after the climate change stuff becomes irrefutable

They’ll say “Yes, climate change is real but it’s already happening and we can’t do anything about it so we’ll have to grow the economy so that we can fund preventative measures”

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Remember I have gone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about HTF did Shorten loose the Electric Vehicle debate and I kept posting EV's will be the only type of car made by the late 2020's. early 2030's...

Guess What

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/subaru-has-committed-to-electrifying-its-entire-lineup/news-story/565ed1817b4c0d4b3671d9e94d11740a

Subaru has committed to electrifying its entire line-up

The Japanese brand has committed to a massive change that is sure to have a knock-on effect in Australia and change the cars we drive forever.

Edited by Midfielder
31 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Remember I have gone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about HTF did Shorten loose the Electric Vehicle debate and I kept posting EV's will be the only type of car made by the late 2020's. early 2030's...

Guess What

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/subaru-has-committed-to-electrifying-its-entire-lineup/news-story/565ed1817b4c0d4b3671d9e94d11740a

The Japanese brand has committed to a massive change that is sure to have a knock-on effect in Australia and change the cars we drive forever.

According to Morrison and the media Shorten was going to ban all bogans, even those on the central coast from their utes...end the weekend as we know it..lol

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/apr/07/shorten-wants-to-end-the-weekend-morrison-attacks-labors-electric-vehicle-policy

For what it's worth all the major car manufacturers have fully electric vehicles either in pre planning or production right now,  

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 4:13 PM, Midfielder said:

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Guess What

Hey Mr. Mariner on the wrong website number cruncher.

From the article and using  my number crunching this car thing will happen  in 2035 !

FMD better put my order in now.

But wait number cruncher , where is all this extra electricity for cars going to come from. More coal fired power stations - no. Massive wind turbine thing in my backyard to kill all the birds and make me sick - maybe. What happens to all the service station owners. How long will it take to charge my car to go to the shops. Oh , yea nearly forgot , I can ask Mr. Shortensweet !

And what about the extra cost of power bills which require a bank overdraft each quarter to pay ?

I think your Balance Sheet doesn't balance , maybe something wrong with the double entry if you'll pardon the pun.

If electric vehicles become the norm I expect Morrison to do to service station workers what his party under Abbott did to auto makers and their workers and families and say..........**** 'em.

For the conservatives it's about revenue. They want to tax you. They want the fuel excise and they certainly don't want you having more money in your pocket to spend at small businesses,shops and trades.$11bn a year that doesn't flow into the economy.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/saving-fuel-and-vehicle-costs

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/12/electric-cars-already-cheaper-own-run-study

Edited by sonar
  • mack locked this topic