Sign in to follow this  
Midfielder

Climate Change & Alternative Energy

I read somewhere, I think it was the AFR, about what the LNP will do after the climate change stuff becomes irrefutable

They’ll say “Yes, climate change is real but it’s already happening and we can’t do anything about it so we’ll have to grow the economy so that we can fund preventative measures”

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Remember I have gone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about HTF did Shorten loose the Electric Vehicle debate and I kept posting EV's will be the only type of car made by the late 2020's. early 2030's...

Guess What

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/subaru-has-committed-to-electrifying-its-entire-lineup/news-story/565ed1817b4c0d4b3671d9e94d11740a

Subaru has committed to electrifying its entire line-up

The Japanese brand has committed to a massive change that is sure to have a knock-on effect in Australia and change the cars we drive forever.

Edited by Midfielder

31 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Remember I have gone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about HTF did Shorten loose the Electric Vehicle debate and I kept posting EV's will be the only type of car made by the late 2020's. early 2030's...

Guess What

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/motoring-news/subaru-has-committed-to-electrifying-its-entire-lineup/news-story/565ed1817b4c0d4b3671d9e94d11740a

The Japanese brand has committed to a massive change that is sure to have a knock-on effect in Australia and change the cars we drive forever.

According to Morrison and the media Shorten was going to ban all bogans, even those on the central coast from their utes...end the weekend as we know it..lol

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/apr/07/shorten-wants-to-end-the-weekend-morrison-attacks-labors-electric-vehicle-policy

For what it's worth all the major car manufacturers have fully electric vehicles either in pre planning or production right now,  

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 4:13 PM, Midfielder said:

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Guess What

Hey Mr. Mariner on the wrong website number cruncher.

From the article and using  my number crunching this car thing will happen  in 2035 !

FMD better put my order in now.

But wait number cruncher , where is all this extra electricity for cars going to come from. More coal fired power stations - no. Massive wind turbine thing in my backyard to kill all the birds and make me sick - maybe. What happens to all the service station owners. How long will it take to charge my car to go to the shops. Oh , yea nearly forgot , I can ask Mr. Shortensweet !

And what about the extra cost of power bills which require a bank overdraft each quarter to pay ?

I think your Balance Sheet doesn't balance , maybe something wrong with the double entry if you'll pardon the pun.

Another cave dweller misusing data

UK climate scientist corrects Australian MP Craig Kelly's 'blatant misrepresentation' https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/22/uk-climate-scientist-corrects-australian-mp-craig-kellys-blatant-misrepresentation?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

If electric vehicles become the norm I expect Morrison to do to service station workers what his party under Abbott did to auto makers and their workers and families and say..........**** 'em.

For the conservatives it's about revenue. They want to tax you. They want the fuel excise and they certainly don't want you having more money in your pocket to spend at small businesses,shops and trades.$11bn a year that doesn't flow into the economy.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/saving-fuel-and-vehicle-costs

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/12/electric-cars-already-cheaper-own-run-study

Edited by sonar

1 hour ago, theseeker said:

Massive wind turbine thing in my backyard to kill all the birds and make me sick - maybe.

So you haven't got cancer then? 

Wind farms killing birds and making people sick? So on top of ignoring the science on climate change we’re ignoring the studies that show fossil fuel power generation kills twenty times the birds per kW produced than wind, and that complaints about wind turbine illness correlate with media coverage rather than turbine location, demonstrating the nocebo effect.

On 21/01/2020 at 4:13 PM, Midfielder said:

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Guess What

Letter to SMH 21/1/20.

After Senator Michaelia Cash’s outrageous rant about electric cars during the election, I bought one. It's great ("Steering towards electric vehicles", January 20). Only needs charging about every 10 days, which I do at home. Done 8000 kilometres and not cost a cent for power because of my solar panels. My favourite thing to do when stopped at traffic lights beside a tradie in a ute is to flatten the accelerator and leave them for dead when the lights turn green.

11 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

So you haven't got cancer then? 

Don't know . But was it cold in the ground for you this morning , say hello to Elvis when you get back.

I heard the Wind Turbines generated eddy currents which contributed to the intensity of the recent bushfires. Considering all those other issues stated surely there's a better way. 

17 hours ago, theseeker said:

From the article and using  my number crunching this car thing will happen  in 2035 !

But wait number cruncher , where is all this extra electricity for cars going to come from. More coal fired power stations - no. Massive wind turbine thing in my backyard to kill all the birds and make me sick - maybe. What happens to all the service station owners. How long will it take to charge my car to go to the shops. Oh , yea nearly forgot , I can ask Mr. Shortensweet !

And what about the extra cost of power bills which require a bank overdraft each quarter to pay ?

I think your Balance Sheet doesn't balance , maybe something wrong with the double entry if you'll pardon the pun.

I've noticed a lot of service stations are converting to have other services as well (cafes, car servicing, groceries, etc). They are also sitting on some valuable real estate which will no doubt be converted into apartments (if in Sydney).

20 hours ago, theseeker said:

I sincerely hope one day you will escape the cult you are in.

In most countries in the world CC is accepted as a fact... only in Australia & the US is the scientific evidence attacked...

The problem with being in a cult, is you can't see that you are in a cult and the more evidence that is presented only enforces the cult belief they are being victimised.

Almost every scientist from every background from every country, religion, culture,  says its happening .... like Russian, Chinese, Japanese, German, English, Brazil Egypt like everywhere agree...

Just on the fires... yes we have always had fires...

One was called Ask Wednesday ... another Black Friday...   get the DAY reference... these fires were in a part of the country...

This year will be called Ash Spring / Summer .... and WA, SA, VIC, NSW, QLD all on fire .... i suggest in all of white history these fires are light years worst than anything before 

In the future CCD will become among the most despised groups in world history...

I don't blame you as my guess your trusted tribe  say CC is all BS ... your tribe is wrong and sooner than you think this will be taken out of your hands i.e the Car thing is only the start... 

You will change your mind, and I hop sooner rather than latter when you realise your tribal leaders are wrong... 

Edited by Midfielder

19 hours ago, Ossified said:

Letter to SMH 21/1/20.

After Senator Michaelia Cash’s outrageous rant about electric cars during the election, I bought one. It's great ("Steering towards electric vehicles", January 20). Only needs charging about every 10 days, which I do at home. Done 8000 kilometres and not cost a cent for power because of my solar panels. My favourite thing to do when stopped at traffic lights beside a tradie in a ute is to flatten the accelerator and leave them for dead when the lights turn green.

This is why I have such a go at Shorten... how he lost the EV debate early in the election ....  it was a walk in the park to tear Lib arguments to shreds.. sadly it reflected how Labour ran their campaign in general... 

23 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

This is why I have such a go at Shorten... how he lost the EV debate early in the election ....  it was a walk in the park to tear Lib arguments to shreds.. sadly it reflected how Labour ran their campaign in general... 

So you are smarter than all the Labor highly paid advisers and strategists who couldn't come up with rational answers to the reasonable questions posed . You could have won the election for Labor'.

Quick ,  Nowhere Man Anthony Albanese extract this guy from hIs Central Coast accountancy practice pay him a motza and he will win you the next election !

Back on this electric car thing all good free publicity for Subaru.Conflicting claims on different websites. 

A motoring website reports Subaru expected at least 40% of its line-up sold worldwide to be purely electric or hybrid vehicles before 2030. Different to what you are gloating about.

As I said all free publicity for Subaru , and you being an accountant would know Subaru wont want to go broke by producing something people dont want. 

In the meantime we could trial the proven back to the future Fred Flintstone emission free car , you know the one you run with yourself on foot power alone. 

Would be a hit with the Watermelon Greens and Labor lefties.

4 minutes ago, theseeker said:

So you are smarter than all the Labor highly paid advisers and strategists who couldn't come up with rational answers to the reasonable questions posed . You could have won the election for Labor'.

Quick ,  Nowhere Man Anthony Albanese extract this guy from hIs Central Coast accountancy practice pay him a motza and he will win you the next election !

Back on this electric car thing all good free publicity for Subaru.Conflicting claims on different websites. 

A motoring website reports Subaru expected at least 40% of its line-up sold worldwide to be purely electric or hybrid vehicles before 2030. Different to what you are gloating about.

As I said all free publicity for Subaru , and you being an accountant would know Subaru wont want to go broke by producing something people dont want. 

In the meantime we could trial the proven back to the future Fred Flintstone emission free car , you know the one you run with yourself on foot power alone. 

Yep. But would he give up his coastal hideaway and a box at Mariners games?

2 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Bonnie Prince Charlie actually makes sense

Reshape economy to fight climate crisis, says Prince Charles

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/22/reshape-economy-to-fight-climate-crisis-charles-tells-davos?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Yup. Assuming conservatively, 40% of the car market will be EV by 2030, the economy needs to evolve to meet that demand. 

7 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Yep. But would he give up his coastal hideaway and a box at Mariners games?

Look no offence to him but what's he doing with his Mariners logo on a Wanderers website ?

is he the guy that fires the cannon or forms part of that annoying so called band. I heard the band did some busking but people were taking money out of the hat instead of putting it in.

But we need the Mariners in the A League where else could we dump all our failed rejects. 

3 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Look no offence to him but what's he doing with his Mariners logo on a Wanderers website ?

is he the guy that fires the cannon or forms part of that annoying so called band. I heard the band did some busking but people were taking money out of the hat instead of putting it in.

But we need the Mariners in the A League where else could we dump all our failed rejects. 

To be fair, Middy doesn't comment on football

WSF....a free public forum for all.....some suggest that it shouldn't be that open.......lol.....or perhaps they could put their hands into their own wallet and open their own forum and dictate the terms on which people post under.....simple.

Edited by sonar

25 minutes ago, theseeker said:

LOL you have learnt your lines well... it does not matter in the long run as EV's are the new mode of MV transport the only question is what year will EV production will over take traditional peterol engines and most seem to think that will occur between 2029 & 2039... Other technologies are being improved quickly today Solar & Wind are far cheaper to run that coal fired power stations. Solar cost less to build than Caol; fired power stations and wind is coming down in price all the time to build... A huge amount of work is being done on battery storage to hold solar and wind power... and huge amounts are being done i mapping wind systems ... meaning there is never a time the wind is not blowing somewhere so clever placing of wind farms is also a huge study... i.e. build three wind farms if it stops blowing at one it will still be blowing at the other two..

AS to heading up the AFP smarts ... never claimed that... simply said Shorten ran a terrible campaign... Franking Credits or how they applied Franking Credits was beyond silly... could not win basic CC change debates they should have won easily... i.e the EV debate...

That you don't reply to the science means no answer will convince you ... you are stuck like many others in the Cult of denial ... your ego somehow thinks this is a political thing i.e. CC is a green policy ... when its a science, maths thing... I am actually right on most things... but CC is not about politics and sadly the hard right have made it so to win government ... 

AS to my home... well most that come are awe struck... front yard looks across at a semi tropical rain forest one of the last this far south... and back yard meets a private reserve shared by four other houses roughly the size of one and a half Football fields and that reserve laps the water on Brisbane Waters... my backyard includes a boat shed and I also have a sailing skip... 

BTW this is where I live the sand bar to your right you can see because the tide is out is what we back onto with the mountain on the otherside...

46-gabagong-road-horsfield-bay-nsw-2256-

On 21/01/2020 at 4:13 PM, Midfielder said:

Hate to say it...

BUT I TOLD YOU SO...

Guess What

Thats because Japan's emissions laws are becoming more stricter where Japanese government are enforcing Japanese companies to meet the Governments strict emissions law.

Thats why you are seeing Japanese companies leading the way with 'Green technology' to cut down on emissions. Japanese car companies are no longer making these 'desirable' JDM cars as most of their cars are becoming more economical.

Japanese tech companies are losing a bit of money from investing in R&Ds for Green Tech and have now been surpassed by the Koreans and the Chinese

Balks and I recently installed solar panels on our house. Cost us $7000, but has reduced our bill from $1000 per quarter to -$350. Our energy company is actually paying us now. 

We will have these panels paid off in two years and still have 8 years of our warranty to run. 

At the moment, batteries of any decent capacity are still quite expensive and make it a lot harder to achieve a good ROI on a solar system, but we made sure our inverter is future proofed and can take batteries at some point in the future. When the time comes, we will install a battery or two and upgrade to a completely electric car. I'd be quite happy not spending $70 a week on petrol. 

Obviously this isn't achievable for everyone, especially renters, but given Australia's climate and the amount of sun we get, it's a no brainer for us.  

Seeing the results we got, my parents installed a smaller system at their house, and reduced their bills from $1000 to $200. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainJess said:

Balks and I recently installed solar panels on our house. Cost us $7000, but has reduced our bill from $1000 per quarter to -$350. Our energy company is actually paying us now. 

We will have these panels paid off in two years and still have 8 years of our warranty to run. 

At the moment, batteries of any decent capacity are still quite expensive and make it a lot harder to achieve a good ROI on a solar system, but we made sure our inverter is future proofed and can take batteries at some point in the future. When the time comes, we will install a battery or two and upgrade to a completely electric car. I'd be quite happy not spending $70 a week on petrol. 

Obviously this isn't achievable for everyone, especially renters, but given Australia's climate and the amount of sun we get, it's a no brainer for us.  

Seeing the results we got, my parents installed a smaller system at their house, and reduced their bills from $1000 to $200. 

.....and the money you save goes back into the economy .....not to one company. 

Also battery tech is evolving very quickly....it will be cheaper in a couple of years.

Edited by sonar

WOW WOW WOW WOW

MASSIVE NEWS I HAVE NOT SEEN REPORTED IN AUSTRALIA.

Blackrock the worlds biggest investment group announced on 10 January they will put environmental considerations front and centre of all future investment decision and to sell their investments in COAL.

They have joined a larger group of investors numbering 100 as I understand representing over 43 Trillion dollars who have all committed to make investment decisions with environmental issues at the core of the decision.  Should sent this off the ""Scot the Marketing Guy""" the worlds biggest investors are getting outer coal

https://www.ceres.org/news-center/press-releases/blackrock-joins-climate-action-100-ensure-largest-corporate-emitters-act

BlackRock has today become the latest signatory to Climate Action 100+, an unprecedented global investor engagement initiative, to ensure the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters take necessary action on climate change.  

With the addition of the world’s largest asset manager, with more than $6.8 trillion USD in assets under management, Climate Action 100+ continues to grow in size and influence. BlackRock joins more than 370 global investors already participating in the initiative. The addition of funds it manages, brings total assets under management represented by investors participating in Climate Action 100+ to more than $41 trillion. 

“BlackRock is one of the largest and most influential asset managers in the world and will bring even more heft to investor engagement through Climate Action 100+,” said Emily Chew current Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee Chair and Global Head of ESG Research and Integration at Manulife Investment Management. “We look forward to working with BlackRock to build on the initiative’s success and work to ensure companies take the urgent and necessary action needed in response to the climate crisis.”    

As signatories, investors commit to engagement with companies, in seeking to ensure they:  

• Take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across the value chain in line with the overarching goals of the Paris Agreement; 
  • Implement a strong governance framework which clearly articulates the board’s accountability and oversight of climate change risks and opportunities; and   
  • Provide enhanced corporate disclosure in line with the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).    

161 companies are engaged through Climate Action 100+. This include 100 ‘systemically important emitters’, accounting for two-thirds of annual global industrial greenhouse emissions, alongside 61 others with significant opportunity to drive the clean energy transition.   

“Climate change poses a systemic risk for investors, along with opportunities for industries to develop innovative solutions,” said Anne Simpson, member of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee and Director of Board Governance and Strategy at CalPERS. “This is why we initiated the creation of Climate Action 100+, which is focused on engaging with companies to lower their carbon emissions and come into alignment with the goals set out in the Paris Agreement. CalPERS welcomes BlackRock as the newest signatory to Climate Action 100+. We look forward to the insights and expertise they bring to this important mission. We, along with the signatories of Climate Action 100+, will continue to work with the largest global emitters of greenhouse gases to limit global warming and protect our members’ assets to ensure we can pay benefits.”   

“BlackRock’s decision to sign on to Climate Action 100+ reinforces that the world’s largest asset manager believes that climate change is a growing financial risk to both companies and the global economy," said Mindy Lubber, member of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee and CEO and President at Ceres. “Given BlackRock’s size and influence, their commitment to accelerating engagements with the largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters on climate change sends a powerful signal to companies to reduce emissions, improve corporate governance and strengthen their disclosure. Climate Action 100+ has already had an enormous impact and generated ground-breaking net-zero emission targets from some of the highest-emitting companies around the world. With BlackRock’s commitment to the goals of the initiative, we will assuredly see more impactful results in tackling the global climate crisis.”   

“The physical and economic threats of climate change have again been evident in the devastating and unprecedented bushfires raging across Australia,” said Emma Herd, member of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee and CEO, Investor Group on Climate Change (IGCC). “We need deeper and more urgent action from those companies who hold the key to making the zero emissions transition that will de-risk our economies and communities from climate change. This signal from the world’s largest asset manager that they expect companies to be cutting their emissions in line with the Paris Agreement is an important step towards this necessary transition.” 

“With the world’s largest asset manager now joining Climate Action 100+, company boards should be under no illusion of the need to take action on climate change and reduce their emissions,” adds Stephanie Pfeifer, member of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee and CEO, Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC). “BlackRock joins over 370 other investors already involved in the initiative putting pressure on companies to commit to a net zero future and address climate risks.”  

“BlackRock’s formal involvement in Climate Action 100+ will help accelerate the growing investor engagement with companies across Asia on climate change,” said Rebecca Mikula-Wright, member of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee and Director, Asian Investor Group on Climate Change (AIGCC). “Having an asset manager of BlackRock’s size and influence join the initiative should put companies that ignore their responsibilities on notice. The reach of Climate Action 100+ across Asia will be significantly bolstered by this announcement.” 

“In joining Climate Action 100+, BlackRock is responding to the demands of its asset owner clients and other groups globally that they take meaningful action to address climate change,” said Fiona Reynolds member of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee and CEO, Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI).  “We welcome this recognition and look forward to BlackRock’s involvement in the largest ever investor engagement initiative designed to ensure that the largest emitters in the world act in accordance with the Paris Agreement to keep the world to 1.5 degrees of emissions.” 

About Climate Action 100+

Climate Action 100+ is a five-year investor initiative to ensure the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters take necessary action on climate change. More than 370 investors with over $41 trillion in assets collectively under management are engaging companies on improving governance, curbing emissions and strengthening climate-related financial disclosures. The companies include 100 ‘systemically important emitters’, accounting for two-thirds of annual global industrial emissions, alongside more than 60 others with significant opportunity to drive the clean energy transition.  

Launched in December 2017, Climate Action 100+ is coordinated by five partner organisations: Asia Investor Group on Climate Change (AIGCC); Ceres; Investor Group on Climate Change (IGCC); Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC) and Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). These organisations, along with five investor representatives from AustralianSuper, California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS), HSBC Global Asset Management, Ircantec and Manulife Asset Management, form the global Steering Committee for the initiative. For more information, visit: www.ClimateAction100.org and follow: @ActOnClimate100.

Edited by Midfielder

What I love about the last few posts is the reminder that it will be people and conscientious organisations and business that will make the world change leaving the climate change denying politicians behind. :)