Sign in to follow this  
Midfielder

Climate Change & Alternative Energy

Right wing grifter denialist 'do nothing' propaganda funded by the Koch Brothers and other major conservatives. They started by ignoring it, then saying it wasn't man made, and now they're saying we can't do anything about it. And this bloke is part of that. That it was published in The Australian says it all. It's not like the LNP & Nationals will suddenly do what the author suggests and "invest into green energy research". He's been pushing the same lines for 20 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2015/apr/23/australia-paying-4-million-for-bjrn-lomborgs-flawed-methods-that-downgrade-climate-change

1 hour ago, mack said:

Right wing grifter denialist 'do nothing' propaganda funded by the Koch Brothers and other major conservatives. They started by ignoring it, then saying it wasn't man made, and now they're saying we can't do anything about it. And this bloke is part of that. That it was published in The Australian says it all. It's not like the LNP & Nationals will suddenly do what the author suggests and "invest into green energy research". He's been pushing the same lines for 20 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2015/apr/23/australia-paying-4-million-for-bjrn-lomborgs-flawed-methods-that-downgrade-climate-change

Thanks for that link Mack.  It gives me a better understanding of the faults in Lomborg's arguments.  What he said in Canberra this week has fired up some of the internet warriors that grab any "support" they can to push the denier case.

Another article showing the BS that Scumbo and Co are spouting

A 60% rise in industrial emissions points to failure of Coalition's 'safeguard mechanism' https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/feb/12/a-60-rise-in-industrial-emissions-points-to-failure-of-coalitions-safeguard-mechanism?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

So the coalition are going to appease their coal industry backers 

Coalition likely to give $11m to Vales Point coal-fired power station for upgrade https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/feb/14/coalition-likely-to-give-11m-to-vales-point-coal-fired-power-station-for-upgrade?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/science/lasers-fire-hopes-of-clean-energy-switch/news-story/c95e88bae781899dd45b9e0ec532f020

Australian scientists are tantalisingly close to developing the holy grail of clean energy, using high-powered lasers to fuse boron and hydrogen atoms together to ­generate electricity without any emissions or toxic waste.

A team of scientists at the University of NSW is developing the ­hydrogen-boron fusion technol­ogy, which is said to hold the promise of limitless, cheap baseload electricity with virtually no carbon ­dioxide emissions and zero radioactive waste. The only waste product is helium.

The pioneer of the technology, Heinrich Hora, said: “The clean and absolutely safe reactor can be placed within densely populated areas, with no possibility of a ­catastrophic meltdown such as that which has been seen with ­nuclear fission reactors.” Boron is cheap and naturally abundant, with sufficient known reserves to power the world for thousands of years.

Patents for the technology have been granted in the US, Japan and China to UNSW spin-out company HB11 Energy.

The research, which was conceived by Emeritus Professor Hora, has been under way for more than four decades.

It is a genuine moonshot on the pathway to a low-emissions world. If successful, it will follow UNSW’s other success in transformative energy technology with solar photovoltaics.

The announcement by UNSW of progress on its fusion research coincides with a new focus by the Morrison government on technology to combat climate change. The Australian revealed this week that the govern­ment would adopt a technology investment target as the best way to meet the net zero emissions goal countries signed up to in the Paris Agreement.

Professor Hora said Scott Morrison’s comments and a business group target of $22bn a year for investment in new technology represented “a new direction” in tackling climate change.

The government is planning to release a technology road map that will include advances in carbon­ capture and storage and other emissions technologies. Work is also progressing on a coal-to-hydrogen project based on Victoria’s brown coal reserves, with delivery of a hydrogen refin­ing plant to AGL’s Loy Yang facility in the Latrobe Valley.

The plant will be used as part of a pilot phase of the Hydrogen Energy Supply Chain project, a world first to establish the feasibility of supplying clean hydrogen from export from Victoria.

0cb72290bea7969f347b4fcdff9f0bdc

usion research has attracted billions of dollars in funding around the world. Many are claiming to be on the verge of a breakthrough similar to that of the UNSW team. However, ­others believe the technology is 30 years away.

Professor Hora said advances in laser technology had been the key to realising his theories of how to produce fusion energy without the massive amounts of heat needed by other approaches.

The laser technology’s developers, Donna Strickland and Gerard Mourou, were awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 2018.

With patents in place, HB11 will seek funding for final testing and development of a prototype. If all goes well, developers expect a pilot plant could be built within five years. The company will seek $1m for preliminary testing over 12 months. A further $5m would be needed over two years for international research collabor­ations to achieve experimental proof of concept. A pilot fusion electricity generator would require­ a further $80m.

“After investigating a laser-boron fusion approach for over four decades at UNSW, I am thrilled that this pioneering approach has now received patents in three countries,” Professor Hora said.

“These granted patents ­represent the eve of HB11 Energy’s seed-stage fundraising campaign that will establish ­Australia’s first commercial fusion company, and the world’s only approach focused on the safe hydrogen – boron reaction using lasers.”

Professor Hora said his react­or design was simple: a largely empty metal sphere, where a modestly sized HB11 fuel pellet is held in the centre, with apertures for the two lasers. One laser establishes the magnetic containment field for the plasma and the second triggers the “avalanche” fusion chain reaction.

A statement by UNSW said the alpha particles generated by the reaction would create an electrical flow that could be channelled almost directly into an existing power grid with no need for a heat exchanger or steam turbine­ generator.

HB11 Energy managing director Warren McKenzie said the approach could be the only way to achieve very low carbon emissions by 2050.

“As we aren’t trying to heat fuels to impossibly high temperatures, we are sidestepping all of the scientific challenges that have held fusion energy back for more than half a century,” Dr McKenzie said.

Just had a conversation with not only a CC Denier but openly and aggressive to anyone who supports CC.

He told me over 80% of the world's scientists supported his view world over.

That carbon was good for the environment.

He became aggressive when challenged about his 80% of the world's scientists agreed with his views.

Said I was cult and had taken a CC pill.

Then he said so what if things change by 3 or 4 or 5% in temperature. 

When I said the last ice age in big changes in the world changed at around 3%...he said BS that's what the CC folk say. When I said that's what was said before CC became an issue he said BS.

what this says to me is the CCDers have reached a stage that no matter what evidence is produced it matters little.....he then told me the answer was in the bible.

.l asked where in the bible and he said everywhere and I should read the bible

How people get to this point I can't understand but it's beyond scary 

6 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Just had a conversation with not only a CC Denier but openly and aggressive to anyone who supports CC.

He became aggressive when challenged about his 80% of the world's scientists agreed with his views.

When I said the last ice age in big changes in the world changed at around 3%...he said BS that's what the CC folk say. When I said that's what was said before CC became an issue he said BS.

what this says to me is the CCDers have reached a stage that no matter what evidence is produced it matters little.....he then told me the answer was in the bible.

Tbf... he's got a point.. considering the earth is flat and all. 

(not serious)

3 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

How people get to this point I can't understand but it's beyond 

Fear is a powerful primary emotion that is easily manipulated by denial.

I had some fun with a similar loon recently. I asked them if they'd heard the saying "the greatest trick the devil ever played was to convince the world he didnt exist."

I said, "Where do you think all the extra heat is coming from, that's right - it's coming from hell. Your homeboy JC is telling you, and you're ignoring him."

Ya gotta fight crazy with crazy. Anyway, I'd better go wait outside for Tom Cruise to show up and get me off Teegeeack.

35 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Next time you meet just tell him that you don't have time to talk as you're due back on Planet Earth post haste.

On 21/02/2020 at 12:41 AM, Midfielder said:

Australian scientists are tantalisingly close to developing the holy grail of clean energy, using high-powered lasers to fuse boron and hydrogen atoms together to ­generate electricity without any emissions or toxic waste.

A team of scientists at the University of NSW is developing the ­hydrogen-boron fusion technol­ogy, which is said to hold the promise of limitless, cheap baseload electricity with virtually no carbon ­dioxide emissions and zero radioactive waste. The only waste product is helium.

The pioneer of the technology, Heinrich Hora, said: “The clean and absolutely safe reactor can be placed within densely populated areas, with no possibility of a ­catastrophic meltdown such as that which has been seen with ­nuclear fission reactors.” Boron is cheap and naturally abundant, with sufficient known reserves to power the world for thousands of years.

Just as a matter of interest and relevance for WSW to this research, one of the good professor's daughters is a keen Wanderers supporter and regularly attends home matches.

1 hour ago, Ozeel said:

Just as a matter of interest and relevance for WSW to this research, one of the good professor's daughters is a keen Wanderers supporter and regularly attends home matches.

:good: Good to hear!