Two Points Ditched In Mudgee

A-League football came for the first time to Mudgee, and the Wanderers left having thrown away two points having given Brisbane Roar a saloon passage to a 2-2 draw.

Western Sydney began exceptionally well, opening the scoring in all of 10 minutes. Nick Fitzgerald lofted a ball over the top of the Brisbane defence, with flying winger Bruce Kamau coming inside, taking a neat touch to clear the cover defence before firing onto the post. It rebounded back into the middle of the 18 yard box and Oriol Riera could hardly miss to take the lead.

The bright spark of Kamau tore the Roar defence to shreds again 10 minutes later to send Riera to the penalty spot. Kamau weaved through two defenders, before drawing a penalty from Jacob Pepper. Riera's penalt shot was turned onto the post by Jamie Young, it fell back to Riera's feet and he knocked it under the second dive of Young to pick up his and the Wanderers second goal of the game.

Unfortunately for the Wanderers that was the peak of the game for the ostensibly home side. Brisbane began the long road back to parity through Alex Lopez, who launched a rocket from 25 yards out from goal, it beat Vedran Janejtovic all ends up, crashed into the base of the post and rebounded into the netting on the far side.

Brisbane were back level mere minutes after the half-time break. Alexander Baumjohann idiotically felled Eric Bautheac well inside the penalty box and the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot. Adam Taggart bettered Oriol Riera's penalty shot from the first half, as he sent Janjetovic the wrong way to make it 2-2.

There were chances for both sides to take the lead, substitite Jaushua Sotirio with one of the best as he curled a long range effort onto the bar and out, but neither side could make a late breakthrough. Ultimately, it was another example of the ongoing failure of the Western Sydney Wanderers to hold onto their leads, and to close out games. Smashing Wellington is one thing, but they took their foot off the pedal against the Roar, a side they could ill afford to take lightly, and it has cost the team the chance to take the lead in the A-League Premiership.

With an international break coming up, the next game for the Wanderers is on Friday the 23rd of November against the Newcastle Jets at the Sydney Showground Homebush.

View full article

Kamau was good. Prob needs to muscle up a bit. He got pushed off the ball too easily a couple of times. 

Otherwise, what mack said. 

Oh, and to the guys giving it to Pepper all game? My boy thought you were piss funny. He was desperate to join in. He didn’t even care why lol. 

Edited by SomeGuy1977

Opening 20mins looked like it was a case of how many we want to score. Everything good via Kamau..Riera, we were cuttinng open with ease...

Then we got worked out, pushed back and couldnt handle the pressure, we went to the dogs, this squad doesn't have the depth of quality, but we know that..

Love a ground you can walk right around, we stood in 4 different places lol 

5 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Oh, and to the guys giving it to Pepper all game? My boy thought you were piss funny. He was desperate to join in lol. 

Was that those guys near the corner at the rbb end on the stand side shouting 'ppeeppppeeeerrr, peppppeeer every time he was over that side?

We were stood near them for 15mins or so....

Played like France for the first 30, played like flops for the next 60...

Mudgee is awesome and the stadium is a beaut! Photos don’t do it justice. Local pubs were bending over backwards to accomodate, think Kelly’s won that battle it was really good. Today reminded me a lot of the good old days in Parra. I’d rather play in Mudgee than Homebush haha

19 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I’m glad at least Reira got a few goals 

otherwise for the travelling fans what was the food like inside the stadium 

any Mudgee specials to talk of! 

Not really..just average food vans and sausage sizzle...not a ground that has built in food outlets for obvious reasons. Beautiful setting with the hills around though..and you walk through farm land to get to the stadium lol

We seem to struggle to defend corners and crosses. Elrich Hammil combo does not work for me.

On the off field our club was incredible. The talk at the pubs was how the club for the last month had clinics and massive community engagement even as far as Orange. All local businesses had posters of the game and pubs painted in red and black.

Is it just me, or are we going to continue to struggle to attract players of ABJ's quality to the a-league if they keep getting hacked every time they get the ball? It looks as though the last couple of weeks that has been the game plan from the opposition. If he gets it, try and get it cleanly and if that doesn't work then just kick him and if you are not getting carded, then don't even bother trying to get it cleanly and go straight to the kicking.

11 minutes ago, BBB said:

Is it just me, or are we going to continue to struggle to attract players of ABJ's quality to the a-league if they keep getting hacked every time they get the ball?

Players who end up in the A-League are in the A-League for a reason, and getting hacked isn't going to change those reasons.

9 hours ago, wanderersfanatic said:

I liked the last question - I think it was a local reporter fishing for a response when he/she asked, "Being from Germany, you haven't been to Mudgee before. How was it?"

I'm assuming they were fishing for, "Oh yeah, great wine, lovely little place - saw some wineries on the way down and I might come back during off-season. Beautiful weather - yeah really enjoyed coming here"

Instead we got this German efficiency dialogue 100% game-focused of "Yep, never been here and we don't do this in Europe. It's a new experience to have a professional game away from home but that's why I'm here. Looking forward to a home game in Sydney."

Love it :rofl:

4 minutes ago, HillsWanderer said:

Can someone explain to me why Fitzgerald was taken off. I thought he was doing ok.

I presume the manager wanted fresh legs. We were going nowhere. When the fresh legs are Sotirio though...........To be fair his shot on goal that hit the post was a beauty. Had it gone in he would of been the hero....! His passing to team mates in general was crap. We are thin in depth for quality passing players. I'm still trying to work out what happened after the first 30min....we blew 3 points.

Farewell mudgee, had a fab time. Great food, great wine,  great company. I hope to have more time to explore next time. 

Oh the match. We came out strong,  1st  20mins lively football but when Brisbane countered, and clawed back into the game,  we didn't seem to know how to counter back 

Match aside, which for the most part was a hot dumpster fire, small town football is awesome.

From the locals getting right behind it, to having dinner at the same tiny restaurant as Garby trying to get romantic with his missus, to walking back to the car at night and seeing Henrique sitting on a bench eating an ice cream and chatting up some chick, it was great.