AFC Champions League 2019

Carns

On 07/03/2019 at 11:10 AM, LeeMarvin said:

No reaction to Sydney FC's performance last night?

There was no reaction by the Sydney players that's for sure.  They tried to defend for 90mins to get a draw against Kawasaki who they need to get over in order to progress, you need to at least push forward occasionally to take the pressure off your defence either in counter or even just hold the ball but they did neither.  They are an awful footballing team to watch at the best of times but are being shown up in Asia, they are yet to score a goal and I struggle to see where it is going to come from unless it is the spot.

17 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

I can't see another A League side ever winning it again to be honest including us.

I think it would all depend on whether we stay a salary capped league. If in the future there is no salary cap then I would say yes Aus clubs have a show to win it. If the cap stays then that makes it harder to compete for players who are capable of playing at that level. The cap just makes it harder to have quality in your subs bench which is what is required.

I think our current manager with a half decent team would give it a good crack tbh......:D

8 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Appears like they were taught a footballing lesson, funny how it’s always mooted that since we are 2/3 through our season & the other teams are just starting that it would give us the advantage. Couldn’t be further from the truth

Yep and Kawasaki has one foreign player in the team and finishe the game with non 

the standard of Japanese football is so much higher 

the way they could play out from tight spots was fantastic, other than ninkovic sydney didn’t look close in standard 

redmayne had a good game, we really didn’t come out of that swap well did we 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For a club that pride themselves on being so big and mighty as Victory do - their efforts in the ACL are pathetic. It's as if they don't really care which seems so strange to me as that would be a massive chance for them to expand their 'brand' into Asia...

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Al Nassr just beat Al Sadd in their first leg QF.

Ittihad play Al-Hilal in the other western conference QF

The ties are all close after the first legs so far, with:

Al Nassr 2 v Al Sadd 1

Al-Itihad 0 v Al-Hilal 0

Shanghai EA 2 v Urawa Reds 2

Guangzhou Evergrande v Kashima Antlers 10pm tonight

23 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

The ties are all close after the first legs so far, with:

Al Nassr 2 v Al Sadd 1

Al-Itihad 0 v Al-Hilal 0

Shanghai EA 2 v Urawa Reds 2

Guangzhou Evergrande v Kashima Antlers 10pm tonight