Why can't we score?

Just looking at some stats and following the various discussions about coaching issue/squad issues and think it might be good to narrow the question.

We are top of the league for shots. 

• Shots

1 Western Sydney 93
    2= Melbourne Victory 83
    2= Newcastle 83
    4= Adelaide 80
    4= Melbourne City 80
    6 Brisbane 78
    7 Perth 72
    8 Wellington 70
    9 Central Coast 63
    10 Sydney 52

Bottom for conversions. (Smurfs opposite!)

• Conversion rate

1 Sydney 24%
    2 Perth 22%
    3 Melbourne Victory 20%
    4 Adelaide 18%
    5 Central Coast 14%
    6= Brisbane 13%
    6= Melbourne City 13%
    8 Newcastle 10%
    9= Wellington 8%
    9= Western Sydney 8%

Why can't we score?

I thought the same thing so had a look at the app on my phone and got these stats. 

Perth Sydney Wellington Brisbane Newcastle Melb V Total
Shots 9 17 22 14 18 14 94
On Target 4 2 6 5 5 5 27
Off Target 4 9 12 7 9 4 45
Blocked 1 6 4 2 4 5 22

Woodwork 0 1 1 3 2 0 7
Big Chances 2 0 3 1 5 0 11

Goals 1 0 3 2 0 0 6

We only hit the target 29% of the time and 23% of the time our shots are blocked. Mind you that means we miss the target 48% of the time.

Not sure if the 7 woodwork shots count as on target or off target. 

Biggest concern is that we have created 11 big chances and only scored 6. 

Edited by billybob

In short we don’t have a good balance in the team in detail...

we have a striker who like our national hero Cahill is more likely to score with his head than foot but we can’t get him enough quality service 

we don’t have any proven goal scorers outside of Reira 

our number 10 doesn’t have enough players who know how he thinks so they can’t take advantage of him 

we have absolutely no backup striker so when out primary striker is not scoring we can only persist with him 

and finally we don’t play mariners every week and currently still don’t know if we can score more than 2 goals against a good team 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Redwog said:

Just looking at some stats and following the various discussions about coaching issue/squad issues and think it might be good to narrow the question.

• Shots

1 Western Sydney 93
    2= Melbourne Victory 83
    2= Newcastle 83
    4= Adelaide 80
    4= Melbourne City 80
    6 Brisbane 78
    7 Perth 72
    8 Wellington 70
    9 Central Coast 63
    10 Sydney 52

• Conversion rate

1 Sydney 24%
    2 Perth 22%
    3 Melbourne Victory 20%
    4 Adelaide 18%
    5 Central Coast 14%
    6= Brisbane 13%
    6= Melbourne City 13%
    8 Newcastle 10%
    9= Wellington 8%
    9= Western Sydney 8%

Why can't we score?

It is interesting...and frustrating.

IDK...but it must surely mean that we make ill advised choices, and our shots are ineffectual and not powerful enough?

We often take a pot shot...which sails wide, or over....although we were more accurate last night...or we don't shoot with enough power, and it's easy to block, or for the keeper to stop?

Better than trying to walk the ball in...as we have often done in previous seasons, I guess.

But we clearly have lacked confidence, and that's understandable, and we take shots that are rarely unstoppable, well placed rockets.

Now...over to you guys - the experts. 

39 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It is interesting...and frustrating.

IDK...but it must surely mean that we make ill advised choices, and our shots are ineffectual and not powerful enough?

We often take a pot shot...which sails wide, or over....although we were more accurate last night...or we don't shoot with enough power, and it's easy to block, or for the keeper to stop?

Better than trying to walk the ball in...as we have often done in previous seasons, I guess.

But we clearly have lacked confidence, and that's understandable, and we take shots that are rarely unstoppable, well placed rockets.

Now...over to you guys - the experts. 

That'd be Unlimited!

This thread should be merged with the relationship thread.

Perhaps I see the game differently, but what I see a lot of is our players trying to get into a better position rather than take the first open opportunity to shoot. Inevitably it leads to the opposition defence having more time to place pressure.

We need the boys to go train with an under 10s team, and recapture that shoot f**rkin instinct, rather than Craig Foster's 64 touches and pass into the back of net theory.

2 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Perhaps I see the game differently, but what I see a lot of is our players trying to get into a better position rather than take the first open opportunity to shoot. Inevitably it leads to the opposition defence having more time to place pressure.

A lack of self belief??

Or not necessarily?

I am not sure if its something that is particular about WSW but there are some things I noticed.

1. We cannot hit a rolling ball one time - Sometimes this is absolutely necessary because you just don't have time to do anything else. You cant afford to stop the ball which will help get the defence set and allow for a block. 

2. Terrible first touch - This is similar to the above option only in the sense that first time balls should be hit more often. When you are trying to stop the ball or cushion it, you need to cushion the ball to the side of your body in order to get a quick shot away. This is also to get give yourself enough space in order to give yourself leverage and power in the shot. This doesn't happen. What I notice happen is that the ball is stopped in front of the player, he gets no back lift or leverage from the shot, is too front on and therefore has to create an extra touch in order to get the ball away from his body in order to create space for the shot. 

3. Over complicating things - Too many touches, especially in and around the 18 yard box. Just need to be more decisive when shooting. See an early gap shoot. 

4 Not shooting in a crowded area. There are so many times when you need to shoot in a crowded box, its not easy for keepers to stop this especially with players in the way and deflections on goal also a possibility. 

5 Following up - As soon as you see someone shooting you follow up on the keeper, plenty of times keepers will not be able to grab shots on the first grab. Interestingly Sotirio managed to get one of these goals last week but that was more from the keepers incompetence more than anything. A very slow reaction from the keeper.

6. We don't utilize our current striker. We have a good striker who can play a number of ways but he is also deadly in the air. Seriously how many times have we given a good hard cross that just lands on his head. I was always taught the best spot to aim is the penalty spot. This idea of crossing close to the keeper is absolute rubbish, especially for corners.

Fix some of these things and we will get more goals flowing. 

Edited by Jukes01
On 06/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, Redwog said:

• Drive by Shots :shok:

1 Western Sydney 93
    2= Melbourne Victory 83
    2= Newcastle 83
    4= Adelaide 80
    4= Melbourne City 80
    6 Brisbane 78
    7 Perth 72
    8 Wellington 70
    9 Central Coast 63
    10 Sydney 52

• Conversion rate of drive by shots :nono:

1 Sydney 24%
    2 Perth 22%
    3 Melbourne Victory 20%
    4 Adelaide 18%
    5 Central Coast 14%
    6= Brisbane 13%
    6= Melbourne City 13%
    8 Newcastle 10%
    9= Wellington 8%
    9= Western Sydney 8%

Why can't we shoot? :unknw:

On 11/12/2018 at 7:41 PM, Jukes01 said:

I am not sure if its something that is particular about WSW but there are some things I noticed.

1. We cannot hit a rolling ball one time - Sometimes this is absolutely necessary because you just don't have time to do anything else. You cant afford to stop the ball which will help get the defence set and allow for a block. 

2. Terrible first touch - This is similar to the above option only in the sense that first time balls should be hit more often. When you are trying to stop the ball or cushion it, you need to cushion the ball to the side of your body in order to get a quick shot away. This is also to get give yourself enough space in order to give yourself leverage and power in the shot. This doesn't happen. What I notice happen is that the ball is stopped in front of the player, he gets no back lift or leverage from the shot, is too front on and therefore has to create an extra touch in order to get the ball away from his body in order to create space for the shot. 

3. Over complicating things - Too many touches, especially in and around the 18 yard box. Just need to be more decisive when shooting. See an early gap shoot. 

4 Not shooting in a crowded area. There are so many times when you need to shoot in a crowded box, its not easy for keepers to stop this especially with players in the way and deflections on goal also a possibility. 

5 Following up - As soon as you see someone shooting you follow up on the keeper, plenty of times keepers will not be able to grab shots on the first grab. Interestingly Sotirio managed to get one of these goals last week but that was more from the keepers incompetence more than anything. A very slow reaction from the keeper.

6. We don't utilize our current striker. We have a good striker who can play a number of ways but he is also deadly in the air. Seriously how many times have we given a good hard cross that just lands on his head. I was always taught the best spot to aim is the penalty spot. This idea of crossing close to the keeper is absolute rubbish, especially for corners.

Fix some of these things and we will get more goals flowing. 

That's really interesting. I' I can not only see it this season, but also in previous seasons too when we had much different personnel on board. Am I right? What's the common factor? Or is it the WSW way? :lol:

As the saying goes 'there are three types of lies - lies, damn lies and statistics'.   Sure we could improve our service to Riera and maybe give an alternate threat in there as well and maybe we could be more dominant at set pieces but the reality is if 4 of the 8 times we have hit the woodwork go in we would be above mid table in that stat.  It is a fine line sometimes.