South West Sydney & West Melbourne To Join A-League

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Perhaps if they made some more information available then the criticism would stop. I don’t want to see the complete bid document of each bid but some transparency would be nice.

100%. This is the thing to complain about. What’s changed at headquarters if we don’t get transparency?

26 minutes ago, Carns said:

In their press conference yesterday they basically said their catchment would be halfway up the M7 (I would assume to around about the M4), so Liverpool will definitely form part of the area they target.

Bit of competition is a good thing. As long as we win!

Bring on the “You’re not real westies you Hillz typezz” arguments. People will be trying to one-up each other on how poor they are. 

4 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Bit of competition is a good thing. As long as we win!

Bring on the “You’re not real westies you Hillz typezz” arguments. People will be trying to one-up each other on how poor they are. 

Hills residents already cop that from other WSW fans.

44 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

100%. This is the thing to complain about. What’s changed at headquarters if we don’t get transparency?

Then it will be trial by media/fan. These are basically contracts in negotiations. You don't see that in any other aspect of the business world. It won't start here.

If we want transparency, then they need to bring in pro/rel so this licensing model stops.

Watched the SWS press conference yesterday, sounded like they are actually quiet happy to be given another year to prepare for entry so that they can get their target audience, build a community based club and then target certain players. 

Also on FFA money argument SWS was the one that offered the least for entry at $13mil and it was report South Melbourne was offering the most at $20 mil. The money they were always chasing is the extra $32 million from foxtel , however I do expect Canberra to be next. Everyone focuses on the negative when the whole time it was clear FFA wanted Sydney and Melbourne as their first expansion but Canberra still made that shortlist and Chris Nikou specifically mentioned the Canberra bid during the press conference.

Nix the lephant in the room may actually be on their way out of the A-league and Canberra may be the bid that replaces them. OR if Nix do a miracle and stay in Canberra come in as the 13th team with a second Brisbane team as the 14th which is something FFA has also been favouring for some time now.

Now although there is an argument "yea but the Roar aren't doing so well off field" I would actually argue back that when Gold Coast and the Fury were in the league the Roar actually as at its peak because of the local competition and it has been in downtrend off field at least since they have left the league.

Edited by Sithslayer1991
4 hours ago, Flytox said:

BankWest Stadium.

Whats it like being in the northern suburbs of the new power in the west?

WESTern Sydney Wanderers

WESTern Sydney Stadium

BankWEST Stadium

Parramatta is now only the locality....

Is the Fairfield area regarded as part of the SWS Catchment area. The press conference kept referring to the 10 NPL teams affiliated with the bid - does that include Marconi, Sydney United and Bonnyrigg? If so, that wont go down well with WSW and is bound to have some detrimental effect.

9 minutes ago, Zakman said:

Is the Fairfield area regarded as part of the SWS Catchment area. The press conference kept referring to the 10 NPL teams affiliated with the bid - does that include Marconi, Sydney United and Bonnyrigg? If so, that wont go down well with WSW and is bound to have some detrimental effect.

yea I think one of their members is actually from Sydney United and was the one trying to get Jedinak as Marquee

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Now although there is an argument "yea but the Roar aren't doing so well off field" I would actually argue back that when Gold Coast and the Fury were in the league the Roar actually as at its peak because of the local competition and it has been in downtrend off field at least since they have left the league.

Good post except the above. Fury weren’t local competition for Brisbane. Townsville is 1.5 times the distance from Brisbane as Brisbane is from Sydney.

9 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Good post except the above. Fury weren’t local competition for Brisbane. Townsville is 1.5 times the distance from Brisbane as Brisbane is from Sydney.

Yea I was really scraping the barrel there but the Roar did travel to those away games in decent numbers. More towards Gold Coast than the Fury

18 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

yea I think one of their members is actually from Sydney United and was the one trying to get Jedinak as Marquee

Yer it was funny that they mentioned that as marquee they wanted someone from their area that represents who they are. Mile Jedinak the man from Mount Vernon who attended school in the blacktown council area who played for syd united due to his father having his business and close ties to sydney unted.

The new SWS bid will have a few new bandwagon fans who will jump ship from wsw to sws due to being closer stadium. Loyalty isn't worth its word these days. Probably same type of fans who used to go for Real Madrid but now follow Juventus and who were once man utd fans but now follow man city.

Image result for bandwagon gif

Brett Emerton is part of the SWS leadership group.

Mr Emerton 2770 repesent don't forget ya flog!

I only see SWS as healthy competition. Our club already has more work still to be done with the Hills to Penrith regions. Fairfield, Wetherill/BossleyPark (me), Liverpool to bankstown also needs some work. PLUS SWS will boost home games and businesses and the main priority which is a chunky slice of tv money. It will also keep our own club on their toes and make sure they keep engaging the younger generations and local football players.

That NSL hotpot of Marconi / SYdney United / Bonnyrig ect IMO is already nailed on Wanderers and old FC fans. The rest are euro snobs or attached to their old nsl club/euro snobs. Theres not much hope every converting these guys. The only thing i can think of is there is quite a shift of young families buying and moving into Oran Park.

So id say these nsl directors are just looking for a new attractive gig in the big time.

Edited by DeeDee

I work in Gregory Hills a couple of days per week which is smack bang in the middle of South West Sydney and the 'growth corridor' they love speaking of.

In my line of work I see quite a few people throughout my day and so far today I have asked all the football fans I know of whether they will support SWS and not one has said yes. One was a maybe depending on who they sign (aka eurosnob). One particular person who has had extensive involvement with grass roots football and its administration over the years believes it will fail miserably and would be much more appropriate in 5-10 years time. These are all SWS residents and the people down here are very proud of their community too from what I have noticed so while these responses don't represent the majority, they still say alot. WSW consumes alot of the current engaged A-League fans around this part of town. 

I do agree that 5-10 years time would be perfect. When I make my way down to Gregory Hills I go past so many various estates and developments that are only just in the stages of land clearing and earth works. No doubt this place will be massive, to the point where I reckon it could potentially detach itself from Sydney, but I don't think there are enough people here for when they need them to be in 2 seasons time. 

5 hours ago, Erebus said:

Then it will be trial by media/fan. These are basically contracts in negotiations. You don't see that in any other aspect of the business world. It won't start here.

If we want transparency, then they need to bring in pro/rel so this licensing model stops.

Agree.. A second division should be top priority and filling it with top teams from the NPL which have the money to invest further into the club and other bids like team 11 and SM is the way to go to push for pro/reg and stepping away from this licensing model

Edited by MistahCampoy
9 hours ago, btron3000 said:

I don’t know why anyone’s complaining (or praising for that matter) the outcome. We never saw the bids, we’ve got limited info to go on. Sure, we can have our preferences, but do we really know enough to be critical? 

Why don’t we all just accept the decision and hope it pans out?

Stop speaking sense 

Mack has created a community so we all do our best old peoples routine and find fault with everything in the world and complain about it *insert grandpa Simpson gif*

Imagine a club announces ronaldo and Messi as marquees and have 15k memebers 

some people would still say we should have got more known epl marquees and why don’t they have 20k members 

I’m with your BT for once can we not be grandpa Simpson and be happy. Yes could can offer an opinion on why it should have been elsewhere but for those just posting epic fail rants go go drink some red cordial and cheers up 

The new board make up has 3 news members, 1 member re elected and 2 of the old board members who will face re election next time around I think.  The board can appoint another 3 new members and to meet the gender balance requirements 2 of them will have to be female.

4 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

He was a former chairman of Sydney United and is a current board member I am told.

45 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Stop speaking sense 

Mack has created a community so we all do our best old peoples routine and find fault with everything in the world and complain about it *insert grandpa Simpson gif*

Imagine a club announces ronaldo and Messi as marquees and have 15k memebers 

some people would still say we should have got more known epl marquees and why don’t they have 20k members 

I’m with your BT for once can we not be grandpa Simpson and be happy. Yes could can offer an opinion on why it should have been elsewhere but for those just posting epic fail rants go go drink some red cordial and cheers up 

I reserve the right as an ob to complain about anything and everything. 

3 hours ago, hughsey said:

I do agree that 5-10 years time would be perfect. When I make my way down to Gregory Hills I go past so many various estates and developments that are only just in the stages of land clearing and earth works. No doubt this place will be massive, to the point where I reckon it could potentially detach itself from Sydney, but I don't think there are enough people here for when they need them to be in 2 seasons time. 

The population in the SWS region excluding Fairfield is 590k at the moment and is growing by 18k pa.  Thats their target area.  The bid was kicked off by Southern Districts FA and Macarthur FA so they have strong links into grassroots football.  Currently there are 18k registered players in the region with player numbers growing at 4.5% pa in the Macarthur region and 2.5% pa in the Liverpool region over the past 5 years.  Population growth is projected to accelerate over the next 10 years which should result in greater growth of the grassroots game.  Currently in the Macarthur region there is 1 club per 15k population so a new grassroots club could be started every year.  A new sports field complex was finished this year, another is about to start and yet another is not far off so the provision for new clubs is already there.  With another couple of precincts recently released for development and many more to come there is a continual stream of growth anticipated through past 2041.

The population, players and clubs are already there to kick off an A-League club and with growth faster than anywhere in Sydney from this point in time its a good time to kick the club off.

I cannot see one positive move from the new FFA. Same **** different bucket. The Game of Thrones has shifted a state regional bias to an A League club bias. Melbourne Victory are protected by keeping out ready to go yesterday South Melbourne. For what. A team with plans for a "purpose built stadium". I'm wetting myself with the crumbs thrown our way. Sydney FC is protected by not allowing the Wollongong Wolves or a Shire based team. At least everyone hates Cronulla and a club there would generate passion but Campbelltown? Really. It cuts into our territory and after a year at our new fortress there won't be anyone left for the MacArthur Rams. If Gosford can sustain a club why not Canberra or Wollongong. Then let's stagger the introduction of two clubs. Brilliant How anyone can see anything positive I mean anything - is beyond me. It's like getting spat in the face and saying oh I was thirsty anyways. Idiots run football. The king is dead long live the king. Stop being peasants accepting crumbs as jewels. **** the lot of them and worse - their apologists. 

Edited by DamnedUnited
2 hours ago, Flytox said:

The new board make up has 3 news members, 1 member re elected and 2 of the old board members who will face re election next time around I think.  The board can appoint another 3 new members and to meet the gender balance requirements 2 of them will have to be female.

Is there a stephanie lowy?

18 minutes ago, DamnedUnited said:

I cannot see one positive move from the new FFA. Same **** different bucket. The Game of Thrones has shifted a state regional bias to an A League club bias. Melbourne Victory are protected by keeping out ready to go yesterday South Melbourne. For what. A team with plans for a "purpose built stadium". I'm wetting myself with the crumbs thrown our way. Sydney FC is protected by not allowing the Wollongong Wolves or a Shire based team. At least everyone hates Cronulla and a club there would generate passion but Campbelltown? Really. It cuts into our territory and after a year at our new fortress there won't be anyone left for the MacArthur Rams. If Gosford can sustain a club why not Canberra or Wollongong. Then let's stagger the introduction of two clubs. Brilliant How anyone can see anything positive I mean anything - is beyond me. It's like getting spat in the face and saying oh I was thirsty anyways. Idiots run football. The king is dead long live the king. Stop being peasants accepting crumbs as jewels. **** the lot of them and worse - their apologists. 

So... you’re on the fence then?

https://amp.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-western-melbournes-new-stadium-concept-looks-incredible/news-story/a9670a5cc5e06125ff1500de0d8be188

Are they for real? With 11 teams they can’t decide if it’s 22 rounds or 30?

22 rounds?! What football competition goes for 22 rounds? If they do this just to avoid the AFL and NRL...

15 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Didn't they say that their catchment includes Southern Districts, Bankstown and Ctown juniors?

1 hour ago, Nek said:

Didn't they say that their catchment includes Southern Districts, Bankstown and Ctown juniors?

Let's have a quick look at their current backers. Lang Walker (Property developer), Pasquale Carbone (mate of Joe Tripodi) no need to say any more. Gino Marra who's company Potentia Capitol a backer of Syd Fc and a sponsor of Brosque, Marra is regularly seen around Western Sydney with his Sydney FC Webjet jumper on. Dodgy bunch if ever I saw one.