Macarthur FC

mack

I think that it was inevitable that eventually there was going to be a new team in the Macarthur region of Sydney. I like many others though also think its a bit early to establish a team out that way. I think there were better current options for an A- League license such as Canberra, Wollongong and Tasmania.

I've lived in Condell Park (Bankstown area) my whole life and along with being apart of the Western Sydney region it has also been classed in the the South West Sydney region. For me personally I much prefer sticking with the Western Sydney identity and I really like the Wanderers as a club overall which is main reason why I would not think of switching, Bankstown also comes under the Western Sydney region so I don't feel as though I am supporting a team from another region which would make me think twice about supporting the South West. On top of that Parramatta stadium is closer to me than Campbelltown stadium is both distance wise and duration to get there, even though the new team has a more specific geographical identifier.

I think living in Bankstown area it's really central geographically to most of Sydney which definitely is a great benefit, but people in this area could probably support either team looking at it distance-wise as duration it will take to get there will be similar. I don't think many people in this area will support the new team as its based in Campbelltown which is still a fair distance away and I think most football fans in this area already either support WSW or SFC with the split being around 50-50 or 60-40 in favour of WSW.

I don't wish bad upon the new team even though I wish it was just WSW representing the whole West, but I can't really see the team gaining a huge amount of support and being overly successful, but I guess we will have to wait and see. 

Edited by Makedonche

Way I see it (and reinforced by what I heard on Tuesday) the whole SWS Campbelltown Ghosts exercise is a fool's errand that is at least 5 years too early if not more so.

First question that needs to be considered (and seems to have been ignored by the FFA) is who in fook will this new club appeal too. Let's say you're a sokkah fan in Picton, Harringtron Park or Heckenburg. You may have lived in the region for 1 year or 20. So, you're going to get on board the new mob because:

• You aren't interested in the Macarthur Rams, Marconi, Bonyrigg White Eagles or Sydney United
  • You've not become a smurf
  • You've not become a Wanderer
  • You are an open minded Eurosnob

I reckon you could count the potential members of the new club based on the amount of finger on your right foot.

Now as for the population boom that is happening out in the south west, such as the huge redevelopment of Oran Park, or even places like Bingara etc near Camden. Who are going to be the people moving there, buying homes etc. Going by the history of 40 years of suburban expansion and redevelopment in Sydney they will be people who come from other parts of Sydney or may be migrants. Based on that premise they will either be bringing with them pre-existing sporting allegiances (whether it be to rugby league or the EPL in general, or the Wanderers etc in specific club contexts), or will need a few years to find themselves as identifying with the South West Sydney identity (whatever the fook that is).

So in 2020/2021 a club is going to enter the HAL with the potential for minimal local support, having been put in place after the magical sokkah pudding has been cut and cut again by the FFA. Meanwhile, due to the Foxtel/FFA relationship two established and utterly separate regional football entities (Wollongong and Canberra) have had zero chance from the get go.

Frankly Sporting Raby have nothing to the power of nought over the square root of fook all chance in growing the game or making a serious impact when they enter the HAL, and they have all the hallmarks of a Manuka Midgets set up.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer
9 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Way I see it (and reinforced by what I heard on Tuesday) the whole SWS Campbelltown Ghosts exercise is a fool's errand that is at least 5 years too early if not more so.

First question that needs to be considered (and seems to have been ignored by the FFA) is who in fook will this new club appeal too. Let's say you're a sokkah fan in Picton, Harringtron Park or Heckenburg. You may have lived in the region for 1 year or 20. So, you're going to get on board the new mob because:

• You aren't interested in the Macarthur Rams, Marconi, Bonyrigg White Eagles or Sydney United
  • You've not become a smurf
  • You've not become a Wanderer
  • You are an open minded Eurosnob

I reckon you could count the potential members of the new club based on the amount of finger on your right foot.

Now as for the population boom that is happening out in the south west, such as the huge redevelopment of Oran Park, or even places like Bingara etc near Camden. Who are going to be the people moving there, buying homes etc. Going by the history of 40 years of suburban expansion and redevelopment in Sydney they will be people who come from other parts of Sydney or may be migrants. Based on that premise they will either be bringing with them pre-existing sporting allegiances (whether it be to rugby league or the EPL in general, or the Wanderers etc in specific club contexts), or will need a few years to find themselves as identifying with the South West Sydney identity (whatever the fook that is).

So in 2020/2021 a club is going to enter the HAL with the potential for minimal local support, having been put in place after the magical sokkah pudding has been cut and cut again by the FFA. Meanwhile, due to the Foxtel/FFA relationship two established and utterly separate regional football entities (Wollongong and Canberra) have had zero chance from the get go.

Frankly Sporting Raby have nothing to the power of nought over the square root of fook all chance in growing the game or making a serious impact when they enter the HAL, and they have all the hallmarks of a Manuka Midgets set up.

This has Clive Palmer United written all over it. 

Eh, if their owner is happy to sink money into them and they build up their asset base then let them come.

We'll still only have 12 teams after SWS & MU.

Looking through the lines of the A-League club new league blueprint I think we'll have Canberra & Wollongong, a 2nd New Zealand team, 2nd Brisbane and possibly a 2nd Adelaide team. Then one more team from .. Tasmania? A 4th Sydney or Melbourne team?

That's 16 teams, and after that you might see a team specifically for Geelong (to have a Gosford/Newcastle style rivalry with WU) and a team in Blacktown or Penrith or Cronulla to round out the 18 teams.

The incoming club have apparently already signed a 15 year rolling lease with Campbelltown Council at a very low fee (I still think they'd be better off with their own club owned boutique stadium than wasting money upgrading a stadium owned by the local council). They said last year during the bid process that they would start a training facility/COE in February 2019.. not sure how that is going.

On 28/02/2019 at 10:57 AM, ManfredSchaefer said:

I can actually fully agree with this as I am one of the people that have moved out that way. There is a lot of Wanderers shirts especially from kids in the Narrellan/Camden area. You even see the odd Sydney FC shirt as well. You go to Spring Farm and they have this thing where they put the flags in their front yard of the team they support (NRL/AFL/A-league). They have their work cut out that is for sure. 

16 hours ago, mack said:

The incoming club have apparently already signed a 15 year rolling lease with Campbelltown Council at a very low fee (I still think they'd be better off with their own club owned boutique stadium than wasting money upgrading a stadium owned by the local council). They said last year during the bid process that they would start a training facility/COE in February 2019.. not sure how that is going.

Nuts isn’t it?

They have one of the richest men in Australia backing the club, as if they couldn’t do a deal similar to Western Melbourne Group, a stadium/residential/commercial prescient with the local council giving them a parcel of land. Add it the fact that Campbelltown stadium have a leagues club right next to them funneling money into the wrong sport :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Nuts isn’t it?

They have one of the richest men in Australia backing the club, as if they couldn’t do a deal similar to Western Melbourne Group, a stadium/residential/commercial prescient with the local council giving them a parcel of land. Add it the fact that Campbelltown stadium have a leagues club right next to them funneling money into the wrong sport :rolleyes:

No different to pirtek/Bankwest.

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I’d disagree wholeheartedly.

One of the pillars of WSW success has been based on the location of its home ground in Parramatta. It would require Lederer (net worth $635m) & co to buy land in Parramatta (can you imagine the cost of buying the land?) but is there the land available in similar a location in close vicinity to transport & the town center? Then the $330m to build the stadium.

Contrast that to Lang Walker who has a real time net worth of $2.5b, land values would be considerably less in SWS especially if they went further SW than Campbelltown & could easily be gifted a parcel of land similar to Western United building a commercial complex as well as stadium.

Parramatta stadium is built on land owned by the state government. They aren’t exactly going to gift it or give him a Lowy’s mate discount.

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

21 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’d disagree wholeheartedly.

One of the pillars of WSW success has been based on the location of its home ground in Parramatta. It would require Lederer (net worth $635m) & co to buy land in Parramatta (can you imagine the cost of buying the land?) but is there the land available in similar a location in close vicinity to transport & the town center? Then the $330m to build the stadium.

Contrast that to Lang Walker who has a real time net worth of $2.5b, land values would be considerably less in SWS especially if they went further SW than Campbelltown & could easily be gifted a parcel of land similar to Western United building a commercial complex as well as stadium.

Parramatta stadium is built on land owned by the state government. They aren’t exactly going to gift it or give him a Lowy’s mate discount.

Paul is spot on:

- Campbelltown stadium is next to Wests Leagues club

- Parramatta stadium is next to Parramatta  Leagues club

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Paul is spot on:

- Campbelltown stadium is next to Wests Leagues club

- Parramatta stadium is next to Parramatta  Leagues club

Leagues club situation is the same & land situation is similar (Campbo owned by council? & Parramatta by state gov) but that’s where the similarities end.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Leagues club situation is the same & land situation is similar (Campbo owned by council? & Parramatta by state gov) but that’s where the similarities end.

I'm sure Paul's comment referred to the leagues clubs situation only.

On 01/03/2019 at 11:25 AM, Sithslayer1991 said:

I can actually fully agree with this as I am one of the people that have moved out that way. There is a lot of Wanderers shirts especially from kids in the Narrellan/Camden area. You even see the odd Sydney FC shirt as well. You go to Spring Farm and they have this thing where they put the flags in their front yard of the team they support (NRL/AFL/A-league). They have their work cut out that is for sure. 

There were figures quoted in one of the summaries of what the club has to work with/against and there are 2.5k WSW members and under 1k SFC members in the area they are seeking to represent which has a population of over 800k.

I grew up in what was called the south western suburbs back in the 50's and moved out in late 89 and in that era no one who lived there would have considered themselves to be from western Sydney.  That term referred to the population based around the western rail line and the Great Western Highway.  Things change over time but there would be a significant population who still identify with being from the south west.  The greater issue they have to overcome at least in the Macarthur region is that historically it has been very much a League area and had a quite low post war migrant population.

9 minutes ago, portaluppista23 said:

lol apparently harry Kewell and Paul Okon are from their region.

i didnt know paul okon played in ctown.

just a question -Isnt fairlfield closer to parra then to ctown?

Whaaa. I distinctly remember okon having a connection with Marrickville red devils? Or maybe his kids. Not sure. Prob wrong.

3 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Whaaa. I distinctly remember okon having a connection with Marrickville red devils? Or maybe his kids. Not sure. Prob wrong.

Okon was and is a Fairfield boy and still lives there. His kids are in school in that region.

one of his boys is in our Academy 

Edited by Paul01
Added info
2 minutes ago, portaluppista23 said:

msws trying to stitch us up- in their latest forum apparently.

fairfield is western sydney and no one can change that

That’s because one of the main spokesman is the extent Sydney United Head man which was the SouthWest Sydney part of their combined bid. He can f*** o**

33 minutes ago, portaluppista23 said:

msws trying to stitch us up- in their latest forum apparently.

fairfield is western sydney and no one can change that

I have to confess I have no fn idea of the catchment for this zone. I now live in Newtown but they call Strathfield the inner west now! Is Ingelburn the inner west now?

If you want to have a gander at a summary of the night, a ftbl.com rep tweeted the night under the hashtag #MSWUFORUM

1 hour ago, portaluppista23 said:

WSW about some training system and transfers

That seems like a legitimate problem but one that you’d hope gets sorted with independent AL. Didn’t mind having a closer relationship with NPL clubs

Some really ambitious targets, 20m in sponsorship target (victory does 27m CCM 11), 10-12k ticketed members & won’t be making the same mistakes as the same Sydney clubs over the years.

Comments around “we are close with the two Sydney clubs” & “active support is out of control” are a bit of a laugh.

Be interested to see how they can grow the 100+ attendance & reaching 100,000 people in the region via marketing means will get them to the figure of 10-12k attendances.

Its because Southern Districts aligned with them apparently, so they are trying to claim the SW areas of Fairfield to Liverpool. Liverpool should be the absolute border and they should be concentrating on the Ctown region and beyond - like their bid said they would.

No wonder WSW as a club don't want this team. They are clearly targeting WSW heartland. The T-Way on game days was always packed going to Parra. its WSW territory. They can gtfo

1 hour ago, portaluppista23 said:

also just to stitch them up we should bring up why they trying to poach our youth academy players i thought they gonna go for npl players from their region

Hopefully they won't be relying too much on Macarthur Rams; club has been a basket case for a number of years now !!

• mack pinned this topic