Vedran Hands Sydney FC Derby Win

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

Vedran should be stood down for the next couple of months. I don't care if Nizic is a poor keeper. He can gain XP as Ved watches in the stands. Suman can be on the 

I would prefer to see Vedran straight back in the side next game and get it sorted.

If i made a mistake like that i would want to be straight back out...the next game couldnt come soon enough. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life...my attitude has always been to get my head up and get straight back in to it.learn from it....lets see if he gets the chance, yesterdays terrible mistake doesn't change ths fact that i rate him as a decent keeper...

He ****ed up good and proper yesterday though lol

Edited by Smoggy
7 hours ago, mack said:

It's not just tonight that I'm talking about.

WSW are always dominating games. Until we're not. And then we lose. There's always a red card, or our striker doesn't take his chances, or someone gives away a penalty, or the VAR screws us over, or we have injuries, or the pitch isn't good enough, or we cop goals from 25 yards out. It's always something that stops us "dominating" and turns it into a loss. We've played 9 games against MV without a win. Against SFC it's now 6 without a win. We can't be that dominant with that many games without a win.

Rinse repeat the last 3 seasons, maybe 4 if you consider our choking of the league title and the grand final loss to Adelaide to be the same thing. WSW didn't win the league in the first year or the ACL by dominating games then losing. We got there by winning.

We've had four big matches this season and we've been awful for the majority of the game-time in them. We've already lost three derbies already this season by a collective goal tally of 8-1, and the other big match (Victory away) ended in a 4-0 defeat. We look like we're going to finish 6th or worse for the 3rd year in a row.

Is it really too much to ask that after 6 months under a new coach who was a top class defensive player we should be defensively compact and hard to beat, instead of having the 2nd worst defensive record in the league.

honestly this, i cant imagine us making the finals this season, on the plus side that means they will fire babbel because they set the precedent with gombau

as hughesy said earlier we are mentally weak in these big games. mistakes, send offs, missed chances despite dominating etc. even when we were clearly the better team we still have found a way to **** it up (bridge penalty game, 0-1 at parra during adelaide gf year etc).

i loudly protested signing vedran - he does a lot of good things but he produces the game costing clanger way more than he should and much less than redders has since the swap (just saying) - he just yells more so people forgive him because he has 'passion'. but that last night was as bad a keeping mistake as you will see - ziggy had it covered and it was very wide - keepers are taught not to come for those.

nizic is SO bad. i know it is tough to have a good backup keeper in a salary capped league but FMD he reminds me of the classic AAM situation -

'oh **** matty is too hungover to keep today mate what do we do?'

'chuck the gloves on johnno he is a big lad, he will be right.'

the big fella can get himself in the way of a few shots but everything else about keeping - decision making, distribution, organising the defence, commanding the box - he is abysmal at. this is nizic.

I actually thought the back 4 did pretty well. they were restricted to mostly long shots even with the man advantage and all 3 goals came from poor set piece organisation (which is ******* annoying - its the one time that the man advantage shouldn't matter).

it just feels like no matter what, we will find a way to screw it up and lose to them - was saying to stringer pre-match that I am finding it hard to come up with scenarios in my head where we actually win the game - I think deep down the players feel the same.

Edited by lloydy136

Okay, calmed down now, read through posts i guess all points covered, not going to praise or berate any players by name, not my job that's Babbel's, just want to comment on first 20 minutes, thought we were great, doing a really tidy job on them, out of the gates the quickest and actually looking threatening and dominating, was thinking this will finally be the night to beat them.

We all know it didn't turn out that way but I want to concentrate on the positives not the negatives, there IS a football team in there somewhere, I cant disagree with Babbel, it is the mentality thing, the players have got to get the mongrel in them and want to win every match, i firmly believe we have the right coach anyone who watched that post presser can see he cares and is pissed off, i hope he f***king beasts them this week in training and gets in their faces to ask the question; Do they really want to be serious, professional, winning footballers or run of the mill johnnies?

From here on in, not expecting too much of this season, but expect seeing in coming months attitudes changing in that team and a more composed professional team making less mistakes, sincerely hope i get to see it.

2 hours ago, jockman said:

Read my post again.Yes pretty depressing..sorry folks..also my grammer and spelling went down the toilet when I wrote this .I was just so pi@@ed off and frustrated. Apologies again..

Sorry folks

You've nothing to apologise for!

You did your absolute best...and got nothing but frustration and disappointment for your effort!

I'm glad that you vented here - it's healthy!

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I would prefer to see Vedran straight back in the side next game and get it sorted.

If i made a mistake like that i would want to be straight back out...the next game couldnt come soon enough. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life...my attitude has always been to get my head up and get straight back in to it.learn from it....lets see if he gets the chance, yesterdays terrible mistake doesn't change ths fact that i rate him as a decent keeper...

I'm with Smoggy here.

Any poor bastard whose split-second work place stuff-up is on display for the world to see, and to be commented on (which of course has happened) has suffered enough.

I'd rather him get back in the saddle and use this humiliating mistake as further motivation for him to show whatever positive qualities he can muster.

He must have been disoriented in terms of how far he had come out of the box - shouldn't have happened, of course, but I hope he is given the chance to get over it quickly.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

vedran will be suspended for one game so we will have nizic for at least one  - that is unless anyone has a spare sulo bin they are prepared to offer up in exchange for him.

one of the frustrating things among many last night was that we actually had a ref in a derby who was prepared to card o'neill & co for their grubby late, cynical tactical fouling and we wasted it.

2 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Also, 1994 World Cup, Italy v nigeria, Italy get a man sent off, coach immediately takes off probably the best player in the world at the time Roberto Baggio. Get over it. This game is 110% on Janjetovic 

Maybe the coach brought off the best player in the world because the rest of his team were quality too. Not really sure we have that luxury.

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Re: the decision to take off ABJ, it's pretty normal to take off a creative player who doesn't defend much, and leave yourself a hold-up man with pacey wingers. You can say "he was the only one causing damage" all you want, but the game changes. We were leading 1-0 and would have been looking to defend and hit on the counter. That doesn't suit him nearly as well, and his impact would have dropped anyway.

Anyone remember this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Baggio

In a disappointing first match against Republic of Ireland at Giants Stadium, New Jersey, Italy were defeated 1–0. In the second match against Norway, he appeared more inspired. However, Italy goalkeeper Gianluca Pagliuca was sent off for handling the ball outside the area. Luca Marchegiani was brought in to replace him, and Arrigo Sacchi decided to take off Baggio in what produced an outcry amidst the fans. Baggio later stated that Sacchi was "crazy". Italy won the match 1–0.

Exactly the same situation, Sacchi took off the best player in the world in a must-win match! If the other player's heads dropped last night then that is a problem for them, and the coach needs to work out who can handle this type of thing and who can't.

Anyway, I don't think they dropped so much as they struggled with the task. Riera let Brosque get goal side of him. As Babbel said afterwards, you have to have 100% desire to hold on to the lead, and if you're a professional footballer who has played in Spain you have to know that you cannot let a striker get goal side of you at a set piece.

Even that though, is insignificant compared to the most ridiculous piece of play I can remember from any player. Maybe rivalled only by Liam Reddy going walkabout a few years back. As far as I am concerned the coach and the other players are absolved of any blame. Vedran should man up and come out and apologise to the fans, and explain himself. Utterly atrocious.

Firstly - the difference between us and the Italians is that they had quality in their team in 94, they know what it takes to win, and they knew how to **** defend, remember their game against Australia in in the 06 world cup?

Secondly - I agree with everything about Vedran should come out and explain himself on went did what he did. And Babbel not once speaking to Vedran is very telling on how pissed off he is with Vedran.

I went to the football last night. Good to get out despite the weather. Fortunately I drove to Lidcombe as I usually do and didn't suffer the transport problems of others.  Had dinner with family and friends.  With my wife, one of my sons, and 3 grandchildren watched MY team play in a derby. They played well and took the lead.  Then a very poor decision by one of our players resulted in a red card for us. The team put in but ultimately lost the match. We sat next to the active supporter group, the RBB.  Despite how the match transpired, the RBB sang their hearts out supporting the team from well before kick off through to fulltime. Me and the grandkids sometimes joined in with the chants & we all did the poznan. 

The team has an away match on Boxing Day and they'll play at home again on New Year's Day when I'll again go to the match and provide my support to the team, MY team.  Hopefully we'll win those matches and do well for the rest of the season.

Life is good.

23 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I went to the football last night. Good to get out despite the weather. Fortunately I drove to Lidcombe as I usually do and didn't suffer the transport problems of others.  Had dinner with family and friends.  With my wife, one of my sons, and 3 grandchildren watched MY team play in a derby. They played well and took the lead.  Then a very poor decision by one of our players resulted in a red card for us. The team put in but ultimately lost the match. We sat next to the active supporter group, the RBB.  Despite how the match transpired, the RBB sang their hearts out supporting the team from well before kick off through to fulltime. Me and the grandkids sometimes joined in with the chants & we all did the poznan. 

The team has an away match on Boxing Day and they'll play at home again on New Year's Day when I'll again go to the match and provide my support to the team, MY team.  Hopefully we'll win those matches and do well for the rest of the season.

Life is good.

far too much positivity...........doesnt work on the forum :P

31 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Life is good.

You put me to shame Ed! You are so right! 

RBB sounded great last night despite the result.

We were beaten by the team in in green as well as the smurfs. 

Saddened by ABJ being subbed for Nizic. I hope Vedran apologized.

Ziggler was immense as well as Rizzo keeping Ninkovic in his pocket for most of the game.

Clear errors by the match officials led to 2 goals. 

There was clearly a ball that was out from Sydney at the northern end that was given a corner. 

For the last goal, the smurfs should have been called offside before the corner.

4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

RBB sounded great last night despite the result.

We were beaten by the team in in green as well as the smurfs. 

Saddened by ABJ being subbed for Nizic. I hope Vedran apologized.

Ziggler was immense as well as Rizzo keeping Ninkovic in his pocket for most of the game.

Clear errors by the match officials led to 2 goals. 

There was clearly a ball that was out from Sydney at the northern end that was given a corner. 

For the last goal, the smurfs should have been called offside before the corner.

Totally agree mate

Nah still don’t get the ABJ sub.

Our best chance of threatening was either from set pieces or playing in our quick players on the break, yet we took off our set piece talker and the only guy who can weight a through ball.

Plus by losing his ability to retain possession and win fouls to take the pressure off, we spent the remainder of the game without the ball.