Sign in to follow this  
mack

A-League Expansion Thread V3

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Vince Rugari reporting Fox are trying to get out of paying the $5M bonus that was promised if expansion teams were in Sydney and Melbourne by stating Western United doesn't have Melbourne in the name and isn't in Melbourne.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fox-sports-threaten-to-withhold-5m-from-ffa-over-western-united-20190221-p50zeh.html

Lol so typical of the FFA. They write off any other bids to get the $$, then don’t get the $$.

Surely if Fox wanted the FFA to fish where the fish are then the dollars should have been dependent on number of people in the area, not the ******* name. 

Just add it to the list of incompetence.

13 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Lol so typical of the FFA. They write off any other bids to get the $$, then don’t get the $$.

Surely if Fox wanted the FFA to fish where the fish are then the dollars should have been dependent on number of people in the area, not the ******* name. 

I agree, but it's pretty poor form from Fox too.

They've obviously seen how shite the ratings are and want to save cash wherever they can.

5 minutes ago, Carns said:

I agree, but it's pretty poor form from Fox too.

They've obviously seen how shite the ratings are and want to save cash wherever they can.

Easier to sack Slater to save money and tell Speed to choose Football or NRL/AFL.

I reckon He'd choose NRL/AFL 

You would think Gallop would have kept dialogue with fox throughout all this 

but gallop ****s up everything he touches so no surprise 

What's there to talk about it? It's in the contract, FFA don't fulfil the contract, Fox don't give the cash.

It's another mindblowing piece of FFA stupidity.

They could have picked South Melbourne and South West Sydney to start next season and got the new cash, but decided to delay SWS to appease Lederer and bring in Western Union because of their pie in the sky $150 million stadium in an empty paddock in Melbourne's version of Bathurst.

On 21/02/2019 at 10:55 PM, btron3000 said:

Fox are just being stupid.  They were prepared to pay extra to have 2 clubs from Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane because they would be in the 3 markets that normally make a profit for them and that is what they are getting.  What the name of the club is makes no difference and if they want to be silly about playing in Geelong its in the Melbourne TV market anyway.

Maybe Fox are being pedantic, but that is why you work this out in a contract. If cash is dependent on where something is located, surely you set out the boundaries for that area. I can just see the Fox execs sniggering away when people were talking about Geelong or Western Melbourne, already planning this move.

I’m getting over Fox Sports. The FFA need to start playing hardball with them. Fox aren’t exactly in a ‘healthy’ position at the moment and if they were to lose the A-League that’s an enormous hole in their summer scheduling. They need us more than we need them IMO.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

I’m getting over Fox Sports. The FFA need to start playing hardball with them. Fox aren’t exactly in a ‘healthy’ position at the moment and if they were to lose the A-League that’s an enormous hole in their summer scheduling. They need us more than we need them IMO.

Problem is nobody else has expressed much (or any) interest. The free to air rights are up for grabs at the moment and no one is interested.

Hypothetically Fox sports lost the rights to A-league in the future how would everyone feel if we were with optus sport?

For me very convenient to have A-league, Premier league, Europa, Champions league, Nations League, World cup and whatever else Optus decides to buy (maybe Beach soccer and Futsal) all on the one app

Optus were very much involved in the last negotiations. The FFA said no because they didn’t want to go down the streaming path.

From memory, it actually ended up being a bit of a contest until the FFA ruled them out

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Optus were very much involved in the last negotiations. The FFA said no because they didn’t want to go down the streaming path.

But hypothetically how would you feel if Optus was to get the rights?

If Optus were to have the rights they'd have to do a deal with a TV broadcaster to at least show 1 or 2 games a week to promote the league like EPL and SBS.

Personally I'd be happy with Optus because I already have it, but I'd be worried how to build ratings numbers.

**** FOX! They don't give a **** about the future of Australian football, if they did they would a dedicated channel by now like they do with NRL/AFL also now with the Cricket.

Streaming is the way of the future for all sports and better it is moved over now rather then later, hopefully the new league will be more incline to go that way with Optus..

5 hours ago, MistahCampoy said:

**** FOX! They don't give a **** about the future of Australian football, if they did they would a dedicated channel by now like they do with NRL/AFL also now with the Cricket.

Streaming is the way of the future for all sports and better it is moved over now rather then later, hopefully the new league will be more incline to go that way with Optus..

Why is streaming the future? Doesn't anyone want to watch on a normal large screen (in HD? For some) with a consistent signal/picture, Sitting in their lounge room?

14 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Why is streaming the future? Doesn't anyone want to watch on a normal large screen (in HD? For some) with a consistent signal/picture, Sitting in their lounge room?

If the Gov didn't **** the NBN, we would be watching it in HD on a big screen without issue. Australia's internet is a joke thanks to politicking.

The internet is already ubiquitous. Everyone has a device in their pocket that can broadcast live sport anywhere they want (or from their TV or computer if they prefer). Streaming is convenient, easily accessible and cheap.

4 minutes ago, Carns said:

If the Gov didn't **** the NBN, we would be watching it in HD on a big screen without issue. Australia's internet is a joke thanks to politicking.

The internet is already ubiquitous. Everyone has a device in their pocket that can broadcast live sport anywhere they want (or from their TV or computer if they prefer). Streaming is convenient, easily accessible and cheap.

And unwatchable whenever I've used it to try to watch anything I actually wanted to watch.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

And unwatchable whenever I've used it to try to watch anything I actually wanted to watch.

Blame the Gov, pops. We've got one of the worst internet speeds in the world. And it is all because we got ****ed over by politics.

7 minutes ago, Carns said:

Blame the Gov, pops. We've got one of the worst internet speeds in the world. And it is all because we got ****ed over by politics.

Isn't the political stuff you're talking about concerning the nbn? We don't have that yet. Currently supposed to be April FTTK.

And btw, what's the use of registering for nbn updates? We registered months ago when the schedule was for January. Now it's due 3 months later and not a single update from them since we registered. 

Sorry folks - too far off topic.

2 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Isn't the political stuff you're talking about concerning the nbn? We don't have that yet. Currently supposed to be April FTTK.

And btw, what's the use of registering for nbn updates? We registered months ago when the schedule was for January. Now it's due 3 months later and not a single update from them since we registered. 

Yes, the NBN (theoretically) would make HD streaming a cinch. But it has been underfunded and delayed repeatedly.

It has been delayed in my area at least 2 or 3 times too. I might have it by 2020 if I'm lucky, but it was projected to be available in 2017 (or earlier) originally.

10 minutes ago, Carns said:

Yes, the NBN (theoretically) would make HD streaming a cinch. But it has been underfunded and delayed repeatedly.

It has been delayed in my area at least 2 or 3 times too. I might have it by 2020 if I'm lucky, but it was projected to be available in 2017 (or earlier) originally.

It would if the NBN were Fibre-to-the-premises.

But Murdoch interfered by pulling the strings as master puppeteer of the liberal party to save his Foxtel.

now the NBN with Fibre-to-the-node it is absolutely f*****. Drops out or slows down. 

F*** o** Murdoch.

1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

It would if the NBN were Fibre-to-the-premises.

But Murdoch interfered by pulling the strings as master puppeteer of the liberal party to save his Foxtel.

now the NBN with Fibre-to-the-node it is absolutely f*****. Drops out or slows down. 

F*** o** Murdoch.

The only good thing with my area being constantly delayed is that I may end up with FTTP rather than FTTN.

1 minute ago, Carns said:

The only good thing with my area being constantly delayed is that I may end up with FTTP rather than FTTN.

Must be a parallel universe

21 hours ago, Carns said:

Problem is nobody else has expressed much (or any) interest. The free to air rights are up for grabs at the moment and no one is interested.

This is exactly the point the FFA need Fox more than the other way around and given the declining ratings don’t expect a massive revenue jump next TV deal 

Lederer's comments are alarming.

"It's critical, it's urgent. We're well aware of it. We've got to get the crowds back, we've got to get the viewing audience back. We've got to run the game, it's as simple as that. We want to have our destiny in our own hands. We don't need a third party to run our game. FFA is fully responsible for the situation, FFA negotiated the deal. In the future, that could very well change, but at the present time it's all FFA."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/owners-must-urgently-address-a-league-s-tv-slump-wanderers-chair-20190225-p5105x.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

If running the game into the ground was one of the Gallop's key metrics then he's done an excellent job and should be given a bonus. For me, it was watershed moment when SBS walked away from the HAL when they tired of having to deal with FFA and Gallop. How good was it to watch a game on SBS on a Friday evening, eating pizza and having a glass of red wine?