Unhappy New Year

A dismal performance by the Western Sydney Wanderers has seen them lose 2-0 to Melbourne City tonight.

Melbourne City took the game with a blistering 2 minutes, taking advantage of abysmal defence from Western Sydney. The first goal coming as a result of a long throw-in well into the City half, being launched over the top of a completely disjointed Wanderers defence, Raul Llorente beaten for pace by Lachie Wales, and no cover defence in sight, the flyer burst into the penalty area to beat Vedran Janjetovic who as usual, dived before the shot was taken and saw it sail through the path he vacated.

The second came very soon after, Riley McGreen turned Llorente and burned him for pace, surging into the penalty area, drawing a defender then laying off the ball to fullback Ritchie De Laet who unerringly found the bottom corner of the goal.

Western Sydney had their usual handful of chances that they completely wasted, then the game turned on 55 minutes. Rostyn Griffiths, who had until then run the midfield for Melbourne City, stupidly lunged out at a rolling ball that Alexander Baumjohann was far closer to. He was shown his second yellow and sent off with the inevitably red card.

With an anxious and at times angry crowd waited with baited breath for the Wanderers to land a blow on the side down to 10 men, unfortunately Eugene Galekovic stood in front of the goal, blocked shot after shot, including a top drawer save from a Baumjohann blast that viewers would have expected to bulge the back of the net.

The Wanderers pressure was rewarded with a penalty in the 85th minute, as Nathaniel Atkinson was judged to have hand-balled on a cross into the box, and Oriol Riera stepped up. With the chance to pull a goal back and give them hope in the dying embers of the game, the out of form striker fired low to his left, a poor penalty that Eugene waited for and pounced upon, turning it wide.

It was the cherry on top of one of the worst performances in the history of the Wanderers, and will leave the fans wondering how on earth will Markus Babbel turn it around. Many will no doubt consider it an impossibility until the majority of the playing roster is cut from the club.

The Wanderers face Melbourne Victory next Saturday, the 5th of January, kickoff at 7:50pm at the Sydney Olympic Stadium.

View full article

I don’t know what was worse - our performance or the Heart’s decision to do anything but play football for the final 20 or so minutes, even though they could have easily scored more despite being a player down.

Both teams helped contribute to what was one of the worst A-League games I have ever seen. And that includes last night’s debacle up at Gosford.

Saturday is going to be an absolute bloodbath, even if Honda is still unfit.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

He also used the word "process", which to my recollection, we had a few forum users who absolutely hate that word when Gombau used it.

Yep..........It's a process.....said it a few times.......I was just waiting for him to drop "philosophy" and I would of called bingo...! He did sneak in #Mentality a few times as well.

Edited by sonar
1 minute ago, matty said:

Hopefully Riera, Baumjohann and Lorente can be moved on for next season. 

i hope so too, i cant understand the dip in form riera has taken tbh, he was good last season, he actually scored goals and for the most part put in good performances but his dip in form has been pretty extreme, he is a completely different player this season

Just now, Swarth said:

i hope so too, i cant understand the dip in form riera has taken tbh, he was good last season, he actually scored goals and for the most part put in good performances but his dip in form has been pretty extreme, he is a completely different player this season

Barring a miraculous turn around, he's gotta go, it seems unsalvagable. We can do better

... We'll, if someone else does the recruiting 

7 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Play the youth

It's not a bad suggestion in reality. Unless we go on an amazing winning streak ( which I can't see happening when our marquee striker can't score ) you can basically write the season off. He would have a fair idea of who he is keeping out of the juniors.....so play them now...give them experience.

1 minute ago, matty said:

Barring a miraculous turn around, he's gotta go, it seems unsalvagable. We can do better

... We'll, if someone else does the recruiting 

agreed, on Erebus saying play the youth i actually think Majok looked our most dangerous, next match i would love to see Riera out, roly out and Yeboah in along with majok, i think that would be far more successful

46 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Can we start including babbels outfit in match reports it’s the only thing that gives me excitement anymore 

I'm flabbergasted that he's not required / encouraged to wear WSW attire, whilst on the sidelines in our games. 

If it's good enough for Klopp & Guardiola it's good enough for MB

Pretty much gave up on Babbrl tonight... He did nothing to change the way we were playing when they went down to 10... He didn't change formation (E.g. We're down by 2, elrich was cooked, roly was useless on the wing, why not pull elrich, play 3 at the back, put roly into the middle where he's more at home and bring majok on early... Flood the midfield, use the width... Would it have worked? Who the hell knows... But it would have been better than doing absolutely nothing other than make two subs around the 78 minute mark...

I could hear city's coach from across the other side of the ground... Never heard Babbel once... 

If I could have my Christmas wishes all over again I'd like to see mass changes: elrich, lloriente; roly (if he can't make our midfield he clearly does not cut it as a winger); and riera all gone... that would free up three foreign spots and if babbel is worth anything he should pull whatever rabbits out of his hat he can... then he might earn his keep...

Yours in frustration...

Club needs to take responsibility just like not to long ago when they held crisis meetings on how we were loosing major sponsors due to crowd behaviour. The results over the last few seasons and heavy handed security/police measures time after time both are results in having more disgruntled fans who have stopped showing up to matches and many have stopped even watching us play.

Club/suits needs to be held liable as relying on a nice new shiny stadium to bring back the fans and with the wave of a magical wand will not fix a problem that seems to be getting worse and worse. Members/fans are allowed to voice their opinion whether club likes it or not. It's time those of us still left to keep the pressure up and show them that wsw is a big club with many passionate supporters but we are not dumb westies and we know when we are being taken for a ride.

Members/fans spend hard earned money in memberships/merchandise and more to support the wsw and always will but in the world of football results matter and for us westies playing with pride and your heart on your sleeve with passion is what we want from our team.

End of the day its time for the club to pull their finger out of their asshole and be bold and make some desperate changes if not what was once the mighty wsw will be no longer able to return to its once was fortress.

Maybe the introduction of south west sydney will be a hidden gem for the club as we were to get ESFC back into gear after letting their foot of the pedal for way to long.

Happy new 2019!