Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

15 minutes ago, mack said:

Why would we keep ABJ? He's done nothing of value to earn his contract this season, let alone another one.

Pre injury he looked good, if he could get on the end of his own passes we might have scored. That said have his recent injury record is poor and I’m not sure we have luxury of carrying that in our league 

4 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Entirely unimpressed with him in the FA cup game I saw him in. He’s in league 2 and not getting starts. We have piles of young Aussie midfielders that are projects right. He might be right in 2 more years.

Thanks for that

Release everyone off contract except Tokich, get rid of Elrich, Nizic and Vedran and we look like this:

GK: Suman
DR: Russel
CB: Tass
CB: Ziegler
DL: Cordier
DM: O'Doherty
MC: Tokich
AMC: Grozos
AMR: Kamau 
AML: Duke
ST: Yeboah 
Utility: Fitzgerald

I reckon the 5 obvious positions to bring in foreigners are GK (Suman), DL (Cordier), MC (Tokich), AMC (Grozos) and ST (Yeboah), not because I don't like Yeboah but because we need a marquee attacking mid and marquee striker. Get a foreign striker and push Yeboah to AMR in place of Kamau. if Baccus stays you'd play him instead of O'Doherty I think.

You could keep Elrich and play him at LB, but I think his pace is gone and he's a liability because of it. Look in the market for a strong Australian central defender and a defensive midfielder. 5 foreigners + 2 strong Australian players puts you at 19 squad positions filled, so you can look for a 3rd Australian player to pickup to get to 20 and the obvious option is another fullback to play ahead of Russell or another midfielder/striker for depth. Or you just go for whatever strongest player you can find available.

43 minutes ago, mack said:

Release everyone off contract except Tokich, get rid of Elrich, Nizic and Vedran and we look like this:

GK: Suman
DR: Russel
CB: Tass
CB: Ziegler
DL: Cordier
DM: O'Doherty
MC: Tokich
AMC: Grozos
AMR: Kamau 
AML: Duke
ST: Yeboah 
Utility: Fitzgerald

I reckon the 5 obvious positions to bring in foreigners are GK (Suman), DL (Cordier), MC (Tokich), AMC (Grozos) and ST (Yeboah), not because I don't like Yeboah but because we need a marquee attacking mid and marquee striker. Get a foreign striker and push Yeboah to AMR in place of Kamau. if Baccus stays you'd play him instead of O'Doherty I think.

You could keep Elrich and play him at LB, but I think his pace is gone and he's a liability because of it. Look in the market for a strong Australian central defender and a defensive midfielder. 5 foreigners + 2 strong Australian players puts you at 19 squad positions filled, so you can look for a 3rd Australian player to pickup to get to 20 and the obvious option is another fullback to play ahead of Russell or another midfielder/striker for depth. Or you just go for whatever strongest player you can find available.

Definitely need a quality Aussie CDM. If we have a foreigner who gets injured, there’s 0 depth there and we end up with the same BS as this year.

Its a fairly sound plan except for I think JOD ahead of Baccus. Baccus has proven time and time again he doesn’t have the self control for senior football yet. JOD is also better going forward so if we find a good foreign anchor we need someone with drive out of the midfield.

Not to mention we will probably have one more visa, however I’m guessing you’re being conservative there

Birrighiti is probably the best option for keeper back up then you would probably consider foreigner with Suman as number 2. The most important is strengthen the backline Rizzo and Russel I think are ok at RB both will be competing for the starting spot. In CB we need Ziggy fit  and another CB who would be an upgrade on Hammil and LB we struggled since Jaimo in that position.

We need maybe 2 DMs for depth but  one must be an experienced foreigner and I would even go as far we should look for Marquee quality in there. In attack well you can probably say we go with a striker but with Duke and Yeboah and the institute players your covered. Its about who Babbel decides to keep in the attacking end but we cannot keep all of them too unbalanced on the attacking end with no defending players.

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

Jedinak would be perfect. Doesn’t waste a foreign spot, wouldn’t command massive wages but still at a playing level to make a difference and he could play for another 3-4 seasons. He for us could be exactly what Valeri has been for the Vuck

He's being targeted by SWS for 2020/21 as a marquee. It might be a little difficult otherwise I reckon he has a couple of good years left in him for the A-league if he signs for us on a 2 year contract starting next season. 

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

Jedinak would be perfect. Doesn’t waste a foreign spot, wouldn’t command massive wages but still at a playing level to make a difference and he could play for another 3-4 seasons. He for us could be exactly what Valeri has been for the Vuck

Except  the salary cap concessions the vuck get with Valeri. What that allows is probably $200k or more to be used for another player like Toivenen under the cap.

8 minutes ago, Jefski said:

He's being targeted by SWS for 2020/21 as a marquee. It might be a little difficult otherwise I reckon he has a couple of good years left in him for the A-league if he signs for us on a 2 year contract starting next season. 

I'd take him, a Western Sydney player coming home to Western Sydney, none of this South-West garbage he's from Rooty Hill.

Makes perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

I'd take him, a Western Sydney player coming home to Western Sydney, none of this South-West garbage he's from Rooty Hill.

Makes perfect sense.

Especially when we played for Werrington (Croatia) as a junior. Which is nowhere near Campbelltown

6 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

The concession isn't their whole wage. It's more like 10%-15% from memory

Here it is

Loyalty Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $200,000 across any number of Players that have given 5 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. A portion of a Loyalty Player’s contract value is excluded from the Salary Cap based on a progressive scale from 25% (5th continuous season) to 50% (10thcontinuous season onwards);

1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Here it is

Loyalty Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $200,000 across any number of Players that have given 5 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. A portion of a Loyalty Player’s contract value is excluded from the Salary Cap based on a progressive scale from 25% (5th continuous season) to 50% (10thcontinuous season onwards);

Interesting. My memory must be of the junior cap or something. Appreciate the info

Keeping track of all the different concessions the FFA have bought in for Victory & Sydney FC is impossible.

They bought in a loyalty bonus so Victory could keep Archie Thompson, then they let Kewell sign a special contract that no-one else could because they wanted to use sponsorships to help pay his wages that were opposed to the FFA's sponsorships, then all the money FFA have thrown at Sydney FC for marquees they could easily afford on their own. Not to mention that the FFA destroyed Perth Glory for cap rorting after they let Sydney FC win a championship via cap rorting. The current "loan rule" only exists so SFC could poach Da Silva from the Mariners.

2 hours ago, mack said:

Keeping track of all the different concessions the FFA have bought in for Victory & Sydney FC is impossible.

They bought in a loyalty bonus so Victory could keep Archie Thompson, then they let Kewell sign a special contract that no-one else could because they wanted to use sponsorships to help pay his wages that were opposed to the FFA's sponsorships, then all the money FFA have thrown at Sydney FC for marquees they could easily afford on their own. Not to mention that the FFA destroyed Perth Glory for cap rorting after they let Sydney FC win a championship via cap rorting. The current "loan rule" only exists so SFC could poach Da Silva from the Mariners.

For sure. Brosque getting the exemption money for the Smurfs and Grant next year.

10 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

I'm hoping the owners have been saving cash to splash on a big name to coincide with a return to parra. Is this realistic?

You have to wonder.....we have one marquee this season not the two we are allowed. You can only hope that they won't resign Riera and bring in 2 QUALITY players as marquees next season. Wait and see I guess.

14 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

I'm hoping the owners have been saving cash to splash on a big name to coincide with a return to parra. Is this realistic?

They hinted toward that in the member forum at the start of the year 

6 minutes ago, mack said:

Lederer on his own could have bought a Honda level marquee every season since he bought the club.

So if Honda is the benchmark, what's a realistic name that would strike fear into the aleague?