Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

11 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

No for me. Would be like getting back with your ex. For the first couple of weeks it would be steamy, before you realise why it didn't work the first time.

But it did work the first time around. He scored fairly well in a team that wasn’t particularly setup to attack.

Id take Tomi in a heartbeat under the cap. And we can do it right now. Sack a player under the cap, pay him off. We supposedly have a marquee allocation so cap space won’t be a concern for this season. Sprinkle a little extra on this season to sweeten the deal then get him under the cap next year. We’d have our front 3 sorted and could put the $$ into acquiring ACTUAL defenders, rather than the traffic cone more commonly known as Tarek Elrich

7 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

But it did work the first time around. He scored fairly well in a team that wasn’t particularly setup to attack.

Id take Tomi in a heartbeat under the cap. And we can do it right now. Sack a player under the cap, pay him off. We supposedly have a marquee allocation so cap space won’t be a concern for this season. Sprinkle a little extra on this season to sweeten the deal then get him under the cap next year. We’d have our front 3 sorted and could put the $$ into acquiring ACTUAL defenders, rather than the traffic cone more commonly known as Tarek Elrich

What you're saying is logical, but yeah I dunno mate. I'd like for once to get someone a little special for the return home ya know. Another Ono.

1 minute ago, ZachMercer said:

What you're saying is logical, but yeah I dunno mate. I'd like for once to get someone a little special for the return home ya know.

Another Ono.

:xnod:    :good::clapping:  :xnod: 

How good would that be...

Sighhhhh….

26 minutes ago, mack said:

I have no idea if he'd be able to sign for us our transfer window is closed and he hasn't left his team yet, he's just been frozen out.

A few of the articles are saying he’s been told to go looking. If they don’t want a fee then we are fine. Unlikely but you never know. I suspect a Chinese club would still pay (is their window still open? Can’t remember when it closes). I’d imagine most European clubs won’t be an option since most will have made their moves in jan

40 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Yep.........I'd welcome him back.

1 minute ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Topor-Stanley's contract is ending at the end of season. Would bring the leadership back to the team. Would he still be good enough in a championship winning team?

Newcastle still think so.

Just now, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

And what about Jack Duncan. His contract ends at the end of the season. Would he be better than Vedran or would Vedran be better with a good defence in front of him?

Yep.

Cheaper than Vukovic and might keep his word.

1 hour ago, mack said:

Assuming we get rid of Nizic I would not be surprised if one of the first signings Babbel makes is a foreign keeper.

Typically I’d say that’s an insane move but you have to look at it in context. There’s sweet faaark available this year unless someone gets released, which also looks unlikely since the good options are all getting game time.

Go foreign. We will still have 4 outfield foreigners to recruit.

6 hours ago, Davo said:

Yeah that's what they were trying with Bobo, Ninkovic and Adrian. It's a bit of a balnacing act and if you screw it up you end up losing your best player.

We've been doing that almost every year since we started.

1 minute ago, matty said:

I'd take Juric. Best striker we've had and never played with outstanding suppliers behind him. 

Couldn't agree more. With one season in front of Shinji, he was fantastic. He still did the job with Bridge, Kalmar and Saba behind him in his second season. He might have been light on goals but he was also light on games in his second season due to the injury.

We've not struggled to score goals under Babbel with a bunch of kids. Give Juric a classy CAM flanked by Duke and Yeboah - thats tasty.

Should really try for Juric imo, knows the manager, knows the team, has helped us get an ACL and GF appearence and if he's serious about getting back in the NT he'd be willing to come back at a reasonable wage under the cap. It's also a massive bonus he doesn't take a visa spot. If we can get him, our squad should look something like this going into next season, 

ST: Juric/Majok
LW: Duke/Sotirio
RW: Yeboha/Kamua
CAM: ?????/Grozos
CDM: ?????/O'Doherty
CDM: ?????/Baccus/Tokich
LB: ?????/Cordier
CB: Ziggy/Hammil
CB: ?????/Tass
RB: Russel/?????
GK: ?????/Suman

That leaves 6 first team spots open with 5 of them as visa players and two as marquees. We can probably get a quality aussie CDM and if we can get an aussie LB or GK (or stick with vedran) than we can get a Hersi level winger. Without Juric the task becomes even more difficult. Having said that, if we sign players that take 12 months to get fit again all of this means nothing. 

9 minutes ago, IAmFalzon said:

Im actually quite shock about all the Juric love.. he was shocking for us, just like Mooy.

Tomi Juric.......thank you for the ACL.........when you have to step up when it matters..........

Babbel on Juric back in August.

"And I’ve coached Australians as well. Tomi Juric, Oli Bozanic and Nikita Rukavytsya are among them. Each of them was very skilful. On their day they were better than many, many other players. Still, the problem was that they couldn’t do it every week. Once every four games is not enough. You need to show your best at least three times out of four. I spent time working on each of them but especially with Tomi at Luzern for the last two years because I could see his talent. I’m sure he can play in one of the big leagues – Germany, England, Italy or Spain – but when we began his mentality was not strong enough. I’ve seen him improve a lot. He might still make that next step."

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/babbel-the-a-leagues-too-easy-on-players-500475

Juric is injury prone, his track record in Luzern is inconsistent. European clubs would have snatched him up by now if there was a belief that "he might still make that next step". The HAL is not the same league it was when Juric left. He'd be struggling. We don't need another struggling key player. We need a leader up front who scores goals, and doesn't spend half of the season in sick bay.

7 minutes ago, Erebus said:

We should be looking for a no.1 goalkeeper. Vedran can be our no.2 for the next 3 years.

Too expensive to have him on the bench. I'd be delighted to see Kraft, Rensing or especially Rene Adler at the club (if his knee is okay).

https://www.transfermarkt.de/transfers/endendevertraege/statistik/2019/plus/0/galerie/0?ausrichtung=Torwart&spielerposition_id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=40&yt0=Anzeigen