mack

Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

45 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

I think unlike some of our other players Roly understands that his head is on the chopping block and it's time to start playing for a contract - either with us or elsewere. Sh*ts me that players only start pulling their finger out when contract discussions are in the mix. Can't for the life of me see how Perth can afford their current team let alone be in the mix for him. Keoghs wife must work at the club and be a 500k receptionist whilst he sits on minimum wage. Dumbfounded.

To be fair to Roly he’s been decent most of this season in a poor team, he generally looks like he gives a ****

I’m In Babbel we trust on this one, his choice if he thinks he can keep Roly playing well then Cool

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

I think unlike some of our other players Roly understands that his head is on the chopping block and it's time to start playing for a contract - either with us or elsewere. Sh*ts me that players only start pulling their finger out when contract discussions are in the mix. Can't for the life of me see how Perth can afford their current team let alone be in the mix for him. Keoghs wife must work at the club and be a 500k receptionist whilst he sits on minimum wage. Dumbfounded.

There’s no way on this planet that they can retain all those players next year. Their whole back line was the Roos 3 years ago.

Expect a large turn over

On 12/02/2019 at 10:14 PM, Keithie said:

Vedran will be ok with a better defence in front of him , especially if we send hamill to West Melbourne.

Popa quote" this is different here than WSW  here we have an owner who has passion and will invest." 

This is disturbing to me and sums up the changes in the club since being acquired and players playing only as a paying job rather than passion and pride playing for the Jersey . All businesses that Lederer has owned has been run like corporations and every dollar squeezed out of the club for savings. I'd really like to know how much he actually put from his own pocket in operations and also academy. 

Were exactly is this quote from? 

2 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

This is disturbing to me and sums up the changes in the club since being acquired and players playing only as a paying job rather than passion and pride playing for the Jersey . All businesses that Lederer has owned has been run like corporations and every dollar squeezed out of the club for savings. I'd really like to know how much he actually put from his own pocket in operations and also academy. 

Large businesses are usually run as corporations. 

Why does he need to put his own money in on a regular basis if the club can be self-sustaining?

3 minutes ago, matty said:

Large businesses are usually run as corporations. 

Why does he need to put his own money in on a regular basis if the club can be self-sustaining?

When you run a club like a cold corporation you get the corporate environment off the field. I understand the logic of having a self sustainable club, but for me personally I feel as though we are no longer a community club we're built on. 

25 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Expecting Popa to do what he did to us, a big clean-out of players potentially?

Expecting Popa to do a big clean out before there's an audit that shows Glory have fielded 2 aleague teams this season.

2 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

When you run a club like a cold corporation you get the corporate environment off the field. I understand the logic of having a self sustainable club, but for me personally I feel as though we are no longer a community club we're built on. 

Oh I agree with that, what you had originally said was different. I'm first in line to claim our club has become cold and corporate, I speculate it's got more to do with Tsatsimas though

15 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Strange that popa aligns passion with investment. That is an arrogant, uneducated quote from someone whom talks about passion then dumps his team for a paycheck. Stick to coaching.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

To be fair to Roly he’s been decent most of this season in a poor team, he generally looks like he gives a ****

I’m In Babbel we trust on this one, his choice if he thinks he can keep Roly playing well then Cool

Agreed..lol at people who think Roly has only started playing well in the last few weeks. Also he prob is playing for contract here or elsewhere.who wouldnt be....it is up to us either decide how we can get the best out of him week in week out or if we let him go ensure we have a better replacement lined up..in other occasions we have done neither...

Edited by Smoggy

We got unlucky with AB10. Got injured during the busiest schedule of season so 6 weeks ended up being 10+ games. Probably could have managed him better too just like Castro was at Perth instead of starting him in 3 games over a week.

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

Strange that popa aligns passion with investment. That is an arrogant, uneducated quote from someone whom talks about passion then dumps his team for a paycheck. Stick to coaching.

That's why I asked where the quote was from as it may have been taken out of context in relation to the full interview. Not like Popa to take pot shots, I'd say there must have been more to him leaving if true. 

9 minutes ago, wswnick said:

the smh article is behind a paywall ( for me anyway ) but if you copy the link and paste it here

https://outline.com/

it should open.

Edited by sonar

10 minutes ago, wswnick said:

J League teams will win that battle if they really want to. Davidson and Duke would be tasty.

11 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

J League teams will win that battle if they really want to. Davidson and Duke would be tasty.

Duke not going to Japan. Wife was very lonely and Mitch didn't learn Japanese.

Davidson went to an academy in Japan.

Markus must read the forum, the first two players I said we should sign were Mileusnic and Davidson and we got Mileusnic and we're going for Davidson.

2 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Duke not going to Japan. Wife was very lonely and Mitch didn't learn Japanese.

Davidson went to an academy in Japan.

I wasn’t implying Duke was going to Japan. I meant Davidson playing behind Juke would be fantastic.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Markus must read the forum, the first two players I said we should sign were Mileusnic and Davidson and we got Mileusnic and we're going for Davidson.

Is Mileusnic a cert for us....?

13 minutes ago, sonar said:

Is Mileusnic a cert for us....?

15 minutes ago, mack said:

Or FCB had a Stein with him in Adelaide

:xnod:

42 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Interesting from Roly. I think alot of our front third would benefit from having more confidence in their defenders. 

But by the same token i think with ABJ would have done miles better then Roly in a stable side.

For me Roly would have to hit some exceptional form consistantly till the end of the season to show he can me our AMC going forward. And even then i would only be throwing a rather affordable 1 year deal his way. 

Otherwise we onow there are simply better players out there, not to mention ABJ could be a better player given the chance.

6 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

Interesting from Roly. I think alot of our front third would benefit from having more confidence in their defenders. 

But by the same token i think with ABJ would have done miles better then Roly in a stable side.

For me Roly would have to hit some exceptional form consistantly till the end of the season to show he can me our AMC going forward. And even then i would only be throwing a rather affordable 1 year deal his way. 

Otherwise we onow there are simply better players out there, not to mention ABJ could be a better player given the chance.

Abj has to prove fitness that he can play a bunch of games in a row without his leg falling off 

2 hours ago, sonar said:

the smh article is behind a paywall ( for me anyway ) but if you copy the link and paste it here

https://outline.com/

it should open.

If your on an iPhone like me you can read every SMH article every day if you switch to private when browsing .

Granted I haven’t seen as much of our season as you guys, but when Elrich isn’t have to pretend he’s a CB I think he’s been fine as a fullback. Or did I miss some shockers over December/ January?

31 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Granted I haven’t seen as much of our season as you guys, but when Elrich isn’t have to pretend he’s a CB I think he’s been fine as a fullback. Or did I miss some shockers over December/ January?

I think he runs out of gas by the 60-70 min mark and we're exposed from there. 

40 minutes ago, Burztur said:

I think he runs out of gas by the 60-70 min mark and we're exposed from there. 

That’s been the case since the season started

19 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Don't know the validity of the quote but in terms of investment, Popa was on a lucrative, long term contract when he dumped us for an ill-fated trip to the boondocks of Turkey. I've always believed that was a ploy to leave and break his contract but hey.. 

21 hours ago, matty said:

Oh I agree with that, what you had originally said was different. I'm first in line to claim our club has become cold and corporate, I speculate it's got more to do with Tsatsimas though

As I've said before, Popa had one of the highest paid squads (if not the highest) before he ditched us.  The Owners certainly put their hands in their pockets.  He had control over things and really was often ordinary in visa recruitment.  Let's be honest, this year he has a team of former Socceroos (plus one current one) - he's good with Australian players.  His main visa players were already there - so less chance to stuff it up.  Even when money was forked out he was 50:50 as to whether the recruitment was any good.  If I was an owner forking out on marquees, for instance, I would really want money's worth and I'm not sure over the 5-year run of Popa that was necessarily the case.

In terms of Club culture, yes things have changed but I suspect they always were going to change - they have to.  We were only ever going to be the new kids on the block with the initial burst of passion, enthusiasm and band-wagoners (more so because we were successful early!) for so long.  We have to grow up and face the ultimate long haul when things get tough, coaches change, players move, we have the eventual downturn in success...  Add to that the last 3 seasons of SOP that has drained passion and everything else from us - we are where we are.

I think that there was always going to be a change when we went from FFA darlings (because they owned us) to an independent club.  Things were pretty easy for us in many ways coming into the league and there were no expectations.  Now there are.  At some point the hard work of building a foundation for a club into the future must begin and that isn't easy.  Last year, with Popa shooting through and Gumby not being the right fit, took us backward (add SOP and it was disastrous!).  I don't think it is all on owners or Tsats.  They are the easy targets.  Too many 'fans' are fair weather band-wagoners and want/expect an easy ride every year - it won't happen.  But I hope that we are building a stronger foundation and working towards a more sustainable culture and club.  Popa did well but there was no foundation - it was chop and change every year and lacked stability and building culture and strong club identities that were there year in, year out.  I hope that is changing!

Edited by BoyFromTheWest

12 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

His main visa players were already there - so less chance to stuff it up.  Even when money was forked out he was 50:50 as to whether the recruitment was any good.  If I was an owner forking out on marquees, for instance, I would really want money's worth and I'm not sure over the 5-year run of Popa that was necessarily the case.

This is an area where I'm not sure about. Do you risk a new foreign import or pay overs for a proven foreigner in the HAL?

Davidson is a good target probably the best left back in the comp quick and has a great engine works up and down the line for the full 90 mins . Looks like Perth’s  back 3 suits his game . 

Compare him to tarek and we can see what is wrong with WSW recruitment . 

A fast 27 year old ex Socceroo that made it to the fringes of the premier league compared to a slow 31 year old  just back from an ACL . 

Obviously there’s a lot of factors here and we don’t know what wages they are both on . As we already had a left back ( Raul )  maybe Tarek is just on backup wages as our defensive budget was blown on Risdon and Ziegler.