Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

4 hours ago, FCB said:

Not quite. In S1 we had 13,14 players who played most games of the season, plus Tarek, Trifiro, Appiah and Gibbs who made more than just a few appearances. Covic, Beauchamp, NTS, Bridgey, Mooy, D'Apuzzo - none of them was a squaddie. One of the main reason why we won the title was that we had six imports who stayed injury free, as did all the local senior players. And they all had a point to prove or make.

No arguments from me regarding the ACL comments though.

Popa turned them into top line talent again 

Covic had a good season with Victory but Ange wanted a ball playing keeper 

The rest of them were not in high demand and could have been signed by any A-League club well before Popa got them in. They were essentially waiting for offers. 

I think to Erebus point is that if they didn’t end up at WSW they were probably at the point of being on bench elsewhere. 

Thats why it was so sweet for the likes of Beach and Bridge because they were shafted our by ESFC and we **** destroyed them for the first 2 years.

granted on imports we hit gold. Polenz and Hersi are still our best ever FB/Wing combo and the 2 Euro screeners allows Ono to flourish 

oh those beautiful years take me back! 

7 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Finally someone who gets it!! The club is compelled under rule to spend at least 90% of the cap. You’re also heavily limited. Clubs don’t have the option to sign Mark ******* Milligan to sit on the bench.

It’s the balance of how much do you spend on your top 12-13 players v the rest of the squad.

ESFC and Victory have changed the formula since our S1 by stacking their starting team and then going ultra cheap on the rest of the squad (or not filling squad). They have also generally gone for foreign players that make a difference (not mediocre squad foreign players)

,Babbel seems to be looking to change the balance too by going with youth rather than “journeyman squad players”

Gombau seemed to be on a mission to corner the market in average wingers

8 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

It’s the balance of how much do you spend on your top 12-13 players v the rest of the squad.

ESFC and Victory have changed the formula since our S1 by stacking their starting team and then going ultra cheap on the rest of the squad (or not filling squad). They have also generally gone for foreign players that make a difference (not mediocre squad foreign players)

,Babbel seems to be looking to change the balance too by going with youth rather than “journeyman squad players”

That’s a strategy issue though, it’s not about spend.

That tactic has cost victory 2 premierships. Sydney got away with only Grant being injured. You take risks with that methodology. Personally I’m in favour of it but you risk bombing your season

3 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

That’s a strategy issue though, it’s not about spend.

That tactic has cost victory 2 premierships. Sydney got away with only Grant being injured. You take risks with that methodology. Personally I’m in favour of it but you risk bombing your season

In terms of total spend, those in the know would know better than me. But 2 out of last 3 seasons we haven’t used (or at least properly used) the second marquee spot, which suggests that we don’t consistently spend what Smurf’s and victory spend.

As for strategy, yep there is a risk you wear injuries which to a degree victory are hitting now. But overall to win the a league I think you have to go that way now, let’s not forget it’s a short season, it’s still won by finals and grand final (so to a degree it’s beat team on the day not over entire season).

i don’t get what we were trying to do with squad way too many “ok” Fitzgerald types and not enough actual quality 

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Popa turned them into top line talent again 

Covic had a good season with Victory but Ange wanted a ball playing keeper 

The rest of them were not in high demand and could have been signed by any A-League club well before Popa got them in. They were essentially waiting for offers. 

I think to Erebus point is that if they didn’t end up at WSW they were probably at the point of being on bench elsewhere. 

Thats why it was so sweet for the likes of Beach and Bridge because they were shafted our by ESFC and we **** destroyed them for the first 2 years.

granted on imports we hit gold. Polenz and Hersi are still our best ever FB/Wing combo and the 2 Euro screeners allows Ono to flourish 

oh those beautiful years take me back! 

Indeed, that season 1 squad were hungry with a point to prove for many..ESFC were complacent at that time also and we caught them sleeping....great times.

Oh and Ono was just stunning...I appreciated him at the time but looking back from now he is just ******* god like....

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

In terms of total spend, those in the know would know better than me. But 2 out of last 3 seasons we haven’t used (or at least properly used) the second marquee spot, which suggests that we don’t consistently spend what Smurf’s and victory spend.

As for strategy, yep there is a risk you wear injuries which to a degree victory are hitting now. But overall to win the a league I think you have to go that way now, let’s not forget it’s a short season, it’s still won by finals and grand final (so to a degree it’s beat team on the day not over entire season).

i don’t get what we were trying to do with squad way too many “ok” Fitzgerald types and not enough actual quality 

Good point on the marquee issue. My assumption is the club is being tight until we return home. They had sure as **** better prove me right this coming season.

Fitz and Kamau would have fitted Gomfrauds system pretty well. And I still think Fitz will be a good squadie for us if given the opportunity. 

Definitely in agreement that top loading the squad is the way to go. It’s how the Season has been won for the last 6 years with the exception of Adelaide.

5 minutes ago, Burztur said:

Didn't someone mentioned previously that the Board is split on spending? Lederer fine with breaking the bank but the others aren't?

Very possible. Hard to know the discussions that are had. And I’d imagine it changes regularly based on the financial goings on of the individuals

Lederer is significantly more wealthy than the other three combined. If he decided to sell out on his "Real Dairy Australia" company (that he bought for $20 million after selling Primo, and turned it into a $400+ million company very quickly) he'd be a true cash billionaire. He'd be close to breaking the top 50 Australian rich list. Chang is probably the 2nd wealthiest in the group followed by Duncan (Pirtek) and Slade (who I believe is simply a CEO type, rather than a business tycoon owner guy).

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

And Gombau succeeded 

9 minutes ago, Jefski said:

2 down and another dozen or so to go.

Old man's calf injury obviously an issue for Bridge And not seen as likely to return. Mileusnic must be his replacement

Scott was originally a Wollongong boy. That the second Wollongong lad we signed and have gotten rid off, with the first being Josh McDonald. McDonald can't get a start at the Mariners who he signed for this year! Expect one of the scholarship lad to get Scott's u21 contract and expect Mohammed Adam to get a scholarship contract.

4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Old man's calf injury obviously an issue for Bridge And not seen as likely to return. Mileusnic must be his replacement

Scott was originally a Wollongong boy. That the second Wollongong lad we signed and have gotten rid off, with the first being Josh McDonald. McDonald can't get a start at the Mariners who he signed for this year! Expect one of the scholarship lad to get Scott's u21 contract and expect Mohammed Adam to get a scholarship contract.

Is this immediately or at seasons end...?

Feel for Mark Bridge....deserved better after Thailand. I sincerely hope he gets at least a cameo before he goes....deserves a standing ovation.

9 minutes ago, sonar said:

Is this immediately or at seasons end...?

Feel for Mark Bridge....deserved better after Thailand. I sincerely hope he gets at least a cameo before he goes....deserves a standing ovation.

Agreed on the ovation

Bridgey really deserves one. Santa should have got one too.

NPL starts in March so mutual termination likely. 

Maybe all this talk of Chapman may be true.

Where's Taurus when you need him?

Edited by Paul01
Added info
3 minutes ago, mack said:

NPL starts in 3 weeks so you imagine it's immediate.

Does money saved on the salary cap this season carry over to the next. I believe the NRL system works along those lines somehow? If so, how many years can that be done for? If not, ignore the last question. 

Just now, Jefski said:

Does money saved on the salary cap this season carry over to the next. I believe the NRL system works along those lines somehow? If so, how many years can that be done for? If not, ignore the last question. 

Salary cap banking is a thing. I believe it is only valid for the following season? @mack would be able to shed light on this.

1 minute ago, Jefski said:

I don't think all of their salary count but a portion does. Maybe someone who knows the collective bargaining agreement can help.

1 hour ago, mack said:

Salary Cap banking is being able to spend an extra 5% of the salary cap, if you have spent under the cap in the last two years.

Do you think we've spent under the salary cap over the last 2 years? 5% of the salary cap (approx $150k) is still quite a bit of money. It could be the difference between 2 average squadies and 2 decent squadies. 

Honestly I don't know. We seem to have used our full roster for the last few years and that makes me think we would have been at or close to the cap.

I doubt any of the clubs are looking at using cap banking as anything but a very limited top-up for one or two of the players they want to re-sign. Over two years if you're 1% under in both years you could front load a player by an extra 60k in their first year.

Lederer has just raised another $64 million by selling out of an investment it seems:

https://www.afr.com/street-talk/lederer-sells-charter-hall-long-wale-stake-ubs-on-trade-20190220-h1bh6j

Paywalled, so I couldn't read the whole thing.

Maybe the funds are for our next season's marquee player?

6 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Lederer has just raised another $64 million by selling out of an investment it seems:

https://www.afr.com/street-talk/lederer-sells-charter-hall-long-wale-stake-ubs-on-trade-20190220-h1bh6j

Copy the link and paste it into this site and it will open...........

https://outline.com/

25 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

I think he's just a shrewd businessman cashing out at an opportune time. 

Happy if he spends some of that with the Club but imo, it would depend on the players Babbel wants to bring in.