Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

58 minutes ago, FCB said:

I hope we are not getting too excited in this hunting expedition. In the first home game against the Jets, the way Majok sailed past him was quite embarrassing. With that lack of pace (also exposed by Castelen a few years ago) he'd be a liability in the starting 11. But then again, he is a Blacktown boy, and that has to count for something.

I don't know, I have a problem with Australian born players choosing represent their family's country of origin rather than their country of birth (eg. Ante Seric). I know it's petty but that's my opinion. Plus, as mentioned, we need some speed at the back otherwise I'd rather keep Elrich.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

I hope we are not getting too excited in this hunting expedition. In the first home game against the Jets, the way Majok sailed past him was quite embarrassing. With that lack of pace (also exposed by Castelen a few years ago) he'd be a liability in the starting 11. But then again, he is a Blacktown boy, and that has to count for something.

Castelan destroyed him it was like watching Discovery channel 

On 26/02/2019 at 4:13 PM, beatsurrender said:

BJ has just not stood up when it matters. 

Had to go back to this comment because it was bugging me (im not disagreeing with you entirely). Treejack had some great appearances early in the season. He sees passes that other players dont have the balls to consider, and he does it with ease, particularly those tight little reverse passes between defenders when he gets stuck Sure he has had some wasteful moments, but his make or break moment for me was the derby. Treejack ruled that game for 25 minutes, he did ******* everything. Vedran killed it. ABJ even spoke before the game about how pumped he was and that he knew what it meant to fans. He had the whole team driving forward on the front foot and he even had our young midfield working for him.

Unfortunately his 'make or break' moment was decided for him by a bloke who was more interested in his new Mrs than he was a derby against his old club. Had ABJ seen the full 90 minutes with 10 team mates, Wanderers win and he takes chisels his name into Wanderers tablets of history.

Theres plenty of dreaming going on in this comment but I dont think it's unrealistic to say we would be talking about him in a vastly different light had Vedran not had a ******* stroke and gone full retard.

My point is BJ has stood up (in my opinion at least) but a combination of inferior teammates and massive momentum killers have tainted his season. Look at it this way, would Ninko or Mierzejewski have done any better in this season with this team around them?

6 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Had to go back to this comment because it was bugging me (im not disagreeing with you entirely). Treejack had some great appearances early in the season. He sees passes that other players dont have the balls to consider, and he does it with ease, particularly those tight little reverse passes between defenders when he gets stuck Sure he has had some wasteful moments, but his make or break moment for me was the derby. Treejack ruled that game for 25 minutes, he did ******* everything. Vedran killed it. ABJ even spoke before the game about how pumped he was and that he knew what it meant to fans. He had the whole team driving forward on the front foot and he even had our young midfield working for him.

Unfortunately his 'make or break' moment was decided for him by a bloke who was more interested in his new Mrs than he was a derby against his old club. Had ABJ seen the full 90 minutes with 10 team mates, Wanderers win and he takes chisels his name into Wanderers tablets of history.

Theres plenty of dreaming going on in this comment but I dont think it's unrealistic to say we would be talking about him in a vastly different light had Vedran not had a ******* stroke and gone full retard.

My point is BJ has stood up (in my opinion at least) but a combination of inferior teammates and massive momentum killers have tainted his season. Look at it this way, would Ninko or Mierzejewski have done any better in this season with this team around them?

My concern with him is how much football he has missed. Not his fault but give th squad restrictions in a league can’t afford to have a key player who is out injured so much. 

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

My concern with him is how much football he has missed. Not his fault but give th squad restrictions in a league can’t afford to have a key player who is out injured so much. 

Oh I completely with you. I just think if it was bloke who'd almost single-handedly fisted SFC then had an injury we'd be completely fine.

I dont mind us going down a different path, but he will definitely be one of the few foreigners we've had that we didn't see the best of. We saw the best of Nico, but he was surrounded by utter dross. Pinatares, Borda, Saba and Adeleke were dross no matter where they were. And Castelan... well we saw it, but his shooting boots only got worn every 10 games.

If we could get 22 starts out of him next year, would pull the trigger and extend? 

36 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

If we could get 22 starts out of him next year, would pull the trigger and extend? 

I would, in a good side he’d be ace. 

Hes hardly played any football in three years. I’m thinking it’s fitness that MB is most concerned about

Jacob Tratt has played a game and a half this season for the smurfs and he's got 2 goals. Baumjohann has 1 goal from open play and 1 penalty (which he wouldn't have got if Riera wasn't busted in the head).

He's also only got 2 assists (although statistically he didn't get the 2nd because he won the penalty he scored, which would have been an assist I believe if someone else scored the pen).

It's not enough. It's nowhere enough.

Neil Kilkenny has 5 goals AND 5 assists. Shane Lowry has 2 goals. Aiden O'Neill and Matt Simon playing for the worst team in the competition have 4 each. Ken Ilso who hasn't played a full 90 minutes as far as I can tell has 3.

Roly is a player who Babbel described as sloppy and one that he still isn't sure if he wants to re-sign, and he has 6 goals and 4 assists. Roly also has a 10% better passing accuracy and a 12% better accuracy in the opposition half.

His entire career has followed the pattern he's had at the Wanderers, looks good but doesn't have the end product a central attacking midfielder requires and between that lack of scoring and injuries he doesn't last long anywhere. When he had 30 minutes to get us a winner against 10 men Adelaide did he do it? No. When we had 40 minutes against 10 man City to come back from 2-0 down did he do it? No. When it was 1-1 against Victory with 15 minutes left after his penalty, did he get us a winner? No, and we ended up losing to an 86th minute goal. When we needed 3 points at home against Wellington to stay in touch with the Top 6 and we had a full strength lineup, did he drag us to a winner? No, he went off hurt after 6 minutes and missed 2 months.

Babbel needs to find a star player in that position, not a bloke who went to Brazil because his missus wanted to.

15 hours ago, mack said:

Jacob Tratt has played a game and a half this season for the smurfs and he's got 2 goals. Baumjohann has 1 goal from open play and 1 penalty (which he wouldn't have got if Riera wasn't busted in the head).

He's also only got 2 assists (although statistically he didn't get the 2nd because he won the penalty he scored, which would have been an assist I believe if someone else scored the pen).

It's not enough. It's nowhere enough.

Neil Kilkenny has 5 goals AND 5 assists. Shane Lowry has 2 goals. Aiden O'Neill and Matt Simon playing for the worst team in the competition have 4 each. Ken Ilso who hasn't played a full 90 minutes as far as I can tell has 3.

Roly is a player who Babbel described as sloppy and one that he still isn't sure if he wants to re-sign, and he has 6 goals and 4 assists. Roly also has a 10% better passing accuracy and a 12% better accuracy in the opposition half.

His entire career has followed the pattern he's had at the Wanderers, looks good but doesn't have the end product a central attacking midfielder requires and between that lack of scoring and injuries he doesn't last long anywhere. When he had 30 minutes to get us a winner against 10 men Adelaide did he do it? No. When we had 40 minutes against 10 man City to come back from 2-0 down did he do it? No. When it was 1-1 against Victory with 15 minutes left after his penalty, did he get us a winner? No, and we ended up losing to an 86th minute goal. When we needed 3 points at home against Wellington to stay in touch with the Top 6 and we had a full strength lineup, did he drag us to a winner? No, he went off hurt after 6 minutes and missed 2 months.

Babbel needs to find a star player in that position, not a bloke who went to Brazil because his missus wanted to.

But mack, it's the other ten players fault that ABJ doesn't look better... 

😁

The biggest issue I have with TreeJack is that he never seems to get the ball in a position where he can either affect the game or make that game changing moment.

Sure the players don’t seem to be on his wavelength, that never helps, but I feel like the players never play him a ball when he is in a tight space or dead end. As a result he ends up dropping so deep to pick up the ball either facing the half way or heading towards it.

I’d like to see him getting the ball higher up the field (final third ideal), facing goal & dictating the play. Fitness does seem to be the biggest issue but when we are down in the dumps & it’s all hands on deck, we can’t afford to carry a player in the hope that he will have that game changing assist or goal. It’s a very Wanderers problem isn’t it (how many times in the past have we had a player like Bridge play 10 cause despite not having the technical skills of a TreeJack, he more than made up for it with fitness.

Bridge is twice the player ABJ will ever be. Actually has some end product and a bit of ticker.

ABJ is all smoke and mirrors - majority of his time in possession ends in a foul. Every now and then you can blame foul play but when it happens so regularly, that’s on him for holding the ball for too long. Good players find a way around tight defending, lazy players just keep playing for the foul. He’s the latter imo.

I see your point Hughesy even if I think you have gone a little ‘agressive’ but you make valid points. 

I think we tend to support our own players a little blindly and this is the case with ABJ - put short how does he stack up against Nikovoc, Honda and Castro and the answer is he’s closer to Connor Pain than those. We need our imports to be our best players and since season 4 it hasn’t been the case - Reira last season is probably the exception and Roly this season 

but thats 3 seasons we haven’t had 5 foreigners firing and a big reason why we are where we are 

unless Abj goes rage mode for the last quarter of season and starts EVERY game rolling the dice on him is too risky and one I can’t see Babbel doing. 

we can't have a team with both Baccus and Georgievski - we won't finish a game with 11 until their suspensions synchronise

10 hours ago, hughsey said:

Bridge is twice the player ABJ will ever be. Actually has some end product and a bit of ticker.

Bridge's fat head is twice the size of ABJ to be fair

Babbel about Treejack: "If he is fully fit, then he can play a fantastic role, but it is up to him. I have told him it doesn't matter how old he is, or what happened before - this is his big chance now. I believe in him, I trust him, I will work with him - but it is up to him to take the opportunity. He wants to be 100 per cent fit - and if he is 100 per cent fit, he can make the difference for us."

Lack of fitness is one problem with Treejack, and probably the biggest one. Another is that he got injured. A third problem he was targeted, doubled and tippled, and kicked out of the game. If he has lost interest somewhere along the line is yet to be seen.

He is one of the most talented players to set foot into the league. For me, that we have nowhere near seen the evidence of it, is the biggest disappointment of this season.  I hope he fires up for the remaining games.

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

but thats 3 seasons we haven’t had 5 foreigners firing and a big reason why we are where we are  

Make that 5 seasons. In S3 we had Saba and Adeleke. In S3 we had Pio. In S5 we had Bruno, Jumpei, Borda, and Dimas fading away (did these guys really play for us, all at one?). In S6 we still had Jumpei, Cejudo not doing anything much, and Roly misfiring. This time around we had Ziegler out with injury most of the season, Roly, Treejack and Riera all injured as well for a few weeks, and Raul disqualifying himself.

But yes, that's why we are where we are.

From 2013 to 2017 he made 33 appearances an average of just over 8 games per season.Since 2017 Baumjohann has made 18 appearances on the field.........

I don't question his ability only his availability and his proneness to injury....poor body management...?.....dodgy club trainers......? ....an underlying muscle problem ( a la Bridge ) that hasn't had the right treatment....?

As a foreign visa player he needs to be on the field for the majority of games otherwise it is a wasted visa spot. If he was fit all the time I wouldn't question signing him but his injury history suggests otherwise.

2013–2017 Hertha BSC 33 (1)
2014–2017 Hertha BSC II 3 (1)
2017 Coritiba 2 (0)
2018 Vitória 3 (0)
2018– Western Sydney Wanderers 13 (2

Since 2013......( 6 years ) he has an average of 9 ganes per year .

Edited by sonar

So it appears injury replacements are not beholden to transfer rules. Perth looking to get Fornaroli in this season as one.

Which means we could be looking at someone like Connor Chapman to come in to replace Ziegler/O'Doherty this season as well.

AFAIK the injury replacements have to be sanctioned by the FFA, and they can only be paid as much as the player being replaced (which happened after the Mariners exploited it to bring in Aloisi on an exorbitant injury replacement deal).

Injury replacement for who? They don't have any long term injuries.

2 hours ago, mack said:

AFAIK the injury replacements have to be sanctioned by the FFA, and they can only be paid as much as the player being replaced (which happened after the Mariners exploited it to bring in Aloisi on an exorbitant injury replacement deal).

Injury replacement for who? They don't have any long term injuries.

I don’t want to jump on the bagging the club / ledderer is a tight arse band wagon. But the lack of injury replacement for Ziegler (and Bridge) is puzzling.

if you are right on the rules then surely we could have found a CB for similar wages to Ziegler (who I imagine is on ok money) eg chapman

on the plus side it’s given Tas a go 

as for going after fornaroli, there would be loop holes here too, back loading a contract might be one. Ie we pay you zeigler money until end of season then put you on Reira money next season

53 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I don’t want to jump on the bagging the club / ledderer is a tight arse band wagon. But the lack of injury replacement for Ziegler (and Bridge) is puzzling.

if you are right on the rules then surely we could have found a CB for similar wages to Ziegler (who I imagine is on ok money) eg chapman

on the plus side it’s given Tas a go 

as for going after fornaroli, there would be loop holes here too, back loading a contract might be one. Ie we pay you zeigler money until end of season then put you on Reira money next season

I have been thinking the same thing especially re Bridge but it looks like he actually was injured 3 times so I guess each time they thought he will be back soon.....hence the "2 week" for most of the season.

On ‎2‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 9:32 PM, Upthehill said:

a bloke who was more interested in his new Mrs than he was a derby against his old club

Care to elaborate for those of us not in the know?

27 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Care to elaborate for those of us not in the know?

It was suggested elsewhere on this forum that snake got some nice lady he’s ga ga over and since that time football is secondary 

i believe the allgeded quote from snake was suggested to be 

relax it’s just a game when he was challenged on his s.hitness this season 

9 minutes ago, Burztur said:

ABJ had to get subbed off during the derby and he was probably gonna destroy SFC at the rate he was going.

It was Treejack's best game for us that he, unfortunately, never really played. That red card ripped the guts out of our season. It was a massive downer, the team's ambitions appear to have gone down the toilet. Snake's brain fart was a shocker, Nizic disqualified himself after coming on, and Treejack must have beeen wondering what on Earth he had signed up for.

With Treejack the criticism comes to full focus, because we now we compare to the stats we have with Roly in the middle since the injury. Jury is out Roly played a lot better and delivered some fine form with goals and assist and Treejack we have seen flashes and I love seeing him play but when we needed those moments of class against Adelaide 10 men and Melbourne City 10 men he went missing. 

Personally I think you keep either Roly or Treejack but not both I think they cancel each other out. Treejack is luxury player that requires a good spine in the team to give his full potential, I would say his best game for us was the victory against Wellington where we overran the Nix's midfield