mack

Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

23 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

a flare salute     :ninja::ninja::ninja:

From the first game, derby at ANZ. The optimism of the 'Lawn Bar' until we showed up to security queues a mile long to be served low-alcohol crap out of tins for $10 a pop. Downhill since then...

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

14 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

A tifo ,   R.I.P   S.O.P    E.A.D

Fuxed

11 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

The seasons not done. Wellington were a train wreck 6 weeks ago. Now look at them.

Theres 15 rounds to go. 8-10 wins out of those has us back in the mix. Whilst unlikely with our current squad stranger things have happened. 

Another handy player pick up or 2 could nudge us is the right direction also.

Nice rallying call to the troops.  Let's fix bayonets and go over the top for one final charge. Banzai!

Tf you fellas been smoking? We seriously writing off a season with over half to go? Do you remember Adelaide 3 years ago? Same ****

Weve gone from getting absolutely sparked by Sydney and victory, to small losses. One of those only happened because of a brain fart.

2 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Tf you fellas been smoking? We seriously writing off a season with over half to go? Do you remember Adelaide 3 years ago? Same ****

Weve gone from getting absolutely sparked by Sydney and victory, to small losses. One of those only happened because of a brain fart.

What was it Toned-Abs said once about the GP Co-Payment...?

The team seems to like to press the self destruct button and issues that were raised from the FFA cup and pre season about the squad have not been fixed. We have no spine down the middle, team is unbalanced, to get us in the 6 you have to let go and bring quiet a few players the big one  being Isias/Rostyn Griffiths type player in that DM position. And then you have to get the rest of the team scoring opportunities we create not just Reira but the WHOLE team. 10 points behind Adelaide and Wellington and then add the goal difference we need a miracle to get in the finals, I don't see them dropping many points

1 hour ago, DeeDee said:

The seasons not done. Wellington were a train wreck 6 weeks ago. Now look at them.

Theres 15 rounds to go. 8-10 wins out of those has us back in the mix. Whilst unlikely with our current squad stranger things have happened. 

Another handy player pick up or 2 could nudge us is the right direction also.

I love your optimism, post Victory game I shared it, the Phoenix game has knocked it out of me.

If the club bring in another 2 or players including a seriously sexual marquee then my optimism  might return. Assuming that they don’t and it’s stick with what we have then, that basically says the club think the season is done too..

Yeboah is nowhere near enough to turn this season around  

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

I love your optimism, post Victory game I shared it, the Phoenix game has knocked it out of me.

If the club bring in another 2 or players including a seriously sexual marquee then my optimism  might return. Assuming that they don’t and it’s stick with what we have then, that basically says the club think the season is done too..

Yeboah is nowhere near enough to turn this season around  

I really wanted to see Yeboah on the end of ABJ for a few weeks. But thats not going to happen.

3 signings in the break is what we need. 3 Starters. All 3 up the spine as Sithslayer pointed out

19 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

I really wanted to see Yeboah on the end of ABJ for a few weeks. But thats not going to happen.

3 signings in the break is what we need. 3 Starters. All 3 up the spine as Sithslayer pointed out

salary cap? just cos they aren't playing doesn't mean we aren't paying.

1 minute ago, scarcev said:

salary cap? just cos they aren't playing doesn't mean we aren't paying.

This is based on the assumption that the blokes on the 'list' leave obviously

3 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Nice rallying call to the troops.  Let's fix bayonets and go over the top for one final charge. Banzai!

The way we're going its more like bonsai ...

Due to a complete lack of rumours, heres what I think would be a good outcome in Jan.

We ditch; Llorente (150k?), Risdon who will we probably lose anyway (200k?), Fitz (150k?), Nizic (sweet FA), Roly - though this ones I think is unlikely (200k)
By my reckoning we should have about 600k in cap space assuming we dont have to pay out contracts, as that depletes our cap limitations.

Spend up big on a Ninko-esque signing at CDM and another decent CB.

We already know Babs wants kids in the team so Russell, Cordier and Suman can take the spots of Llorente, Risdon (who has frankly shown less than Russell), and Nizic (who I think would be comfortably replaced by a medium sized traffic cone)

All of a sudden we have our 'spine' and youthful foundation upon which to build for next season.

Also is Spira injured/a bit **** or is his wiki just not being updated? Saying he's played no games at all??

Spiranovic played last night. I think he's played 3 games now for Perth. Wikipedia entries for players outside the big leagues are often out of date.

Transfermarkt is probably the best source for up to date information about players.

As for the rest of the post, I think we might be hoping against hope for anyone more to leave the club in January, who would take our players? Nizic is a dude, Llorente is a foreign dud, Roly is still a first team player and on a lot of money, Fitzgerald I can't see leaving the rest of his 2.5 years contract and I think he's useful as a squaddie (and probably not on a lot of cash). Risdon is the brightest prospect, but the reports were he was getting scouted at the Asian Cup, and he got pulled at half-time because Arnie is a prick, and now he's hurt himself in training.

We can't unilaterally terminate a player because the cap space would stick. That's why everything is a "mutual" termination.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

Spiranovic played last night. I think he's played 3 games now for Perth. Wikipedia entries for players outside the big leagues are often out of date.

Transfermarkt is probably the best source for up to date information about players.

As for the rest of the post, I think we might be hoping against hope for anyone more to leave the club in January, who would take our players? Nizic is a dude, Llorente is a foreign dud, Roly is still a first team player and on a lot of money, Fitzgerald I can't see leaving the rest of his 2.5 years contract and I think he's useful as a squaddie (and probably not on a lot of cash). Risdon is the brightest prospect, but the reports were he was getting scouted at the Asian Cup, and he got pulled at half-time because Arnie is a prick, and now he's hurt himself in training.

We can't unilaterally terminate a player because the cap space would stick. That's why everything is a "mutual" termination.

Understand the termination issue, hence why I mention the contract payout issue. Im living in fantasy land here for a few minutes :D Im working on the 7's rule:

Generally, A-League clubs have operated on a "rule of sevens": Seven players earning in the highest bracket ($200,000 or more), seven in the middle tier (between $100,000 and $150,00) and then seven players hovering just above the minimum salary ($61,287). At Sydney FC, Arnold appears to have bucked this trend, largely because of the club's physios and strength and conditioning department. - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-graham-arnold-mastered-the-aleague-salary-cap-at-sydney-fc-20180104-h0dm63.html

Start to use the rule above and we can begin to isolate who need to be 86ed. Theres a but of 'Money Ball' involved but I think it applies to us.

Whos in the top category that is grossly underperforming that can easily be replaced from our acedemy? Roly, Llorente, Risdon

I reckon Fitz may even fall close to the top category for wages. I guess we'll see if he ever gets replaced in the future

We've got ~9 players who are first team/sub level (although their pay packets will vary), plus a bunch of youth players off contract.

It includes all our foreign players (assuming Ziggy gets his papers), the main marquee and I assume our second marquee level player (even if the club isn't officially using them as one).

If we can get rid of Nizic or Elrich that'll help but we should have more than enough cap room + foreign players + marquee spots that getting rid of the contracted players past this season shouldn't impact on putting together a high quality first 11.

Anyone still contracted past this season will have the option of moving to West Melbourne as they will need to fill a whole roster. 

Might help get rid some of the dead wood 

12 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Understand the termination issue, hence why I mention the contract payout issue. Im living in fantasy land here for a few minutes :D Im working on the 7's rule:

Generally, A-League clubs have operated on a "rule of sevens": Seven players earning in the highest bracket ($200,000 or more), seven in the middle tier (between $100,000 and $150,00) and then seven players hovering just above the minimum salary ($61,287). At Sydney FC, Arnold appears to have bucked this trend, largely because of the club's physios and strength and conditioning department. - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-graham-arnold-mastered-the-aleague-salary-cap-at-sydney-fc-20180104-h0dm63.html

Start to use the rule above and we can begin to isolate who need to be 86ed. Theres a but of 'Money Ball' involved but I think it applies to us.

Whos in the top category that is grossly underperforming that can easily be replaced from our acedemy? Roly, Llorente, Risdon

I reckon Fitz may even fall close to the top category for wages. I guess we'll see if he ever gets replaced in the future

7 players between 200k to 1m is a big range. The rule of sevens is a fiction. Where does a player earning $175k sit? 

I hadn't thought much of Fitz in the past, but I saw something positive in him last game against the Nix.

29 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

I hadn't thought much of Fitz in the past, but I saw something positive in him last game against the Nix.

he needs to score goals but he really isnt that bad tbh, has some great moments

1 hour ago, Swarth said:

“Great moments” are all well and good but if the ball doesn’t go in the net they are ultimately pointless. The open goal against victory where he took so many touches it let Broxham get back for him to hit it straight at, the case in point.

Defence has cost us more points then missed chances.

roar 2-0 up. In crontrol. 

Adelaide 1-0 up. Looking safe. 

Sydney fc 1-0 up. In control.

Victory and Phoenix drawing level. Good performances, let down at the back.

the defence needs to provide much more confidence to the rest of the side. Even at 3-0 up you just know if we concede 1 with 20 to go its still anyones game.

Hey just something out of left field.

We have a dam good Y-league team  out of our academy but the number one issue is game time at Pro level. Tate Russel, Grozos, Tockich and Cordier are examples of players that are good but require game time experience and we do not have a second division to loan younger players.

I have been thinking and this is a wild idea whether we can make a partnership with clubs from Japan, Korea, China or Thailand  and loan our youth players U21 to the second division (or Thailand premier league) overseas for experience. We also leave the possibility of transfer signing to be permanent to bank on any transfer fees, that way its a win if the player comes back because they have experience or a win because we did a bit business that can be re-invested into the club.

What do people think?

3 hours ago, Swarth said:

needs a ****en left foot. pathetic a full time footballer won't even use their weak foot to shoot at an open goal.

18 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Hey just something out of left field.

We have a dam good Y-league team  out of our academy but the number one issue is game time at Pro level. Tate Russel, Grozos, Tockich and Cordier are examples of players that are good but require game time experience and we do not have a second division to loan younger players.

I have been thinking and this is a wild idea whether we can make a partnership with clubs from Japan, Korea, China or Thailand  and loan our youth players U21 to the second division (or Thailand premier league) overseas for experience. We also leave the possibility of transfer signing to be permanent to bank on any transfer fees, that way its a win if the player comes back because they have experience or a win because we did a bit business that can be re-invested into the club.

What do people think?

Could work in leagues such as Malaysia, Thailand ect. However Japan would be prioritizing their own talent, whilst china would be screwing over anyone they can.

But its certainly a smart move as a 4th/5th ranked league in asia that we create some kind of partnership with a good development side in a growing league like Thailand. The tough thing would be asking an 17/18 year old to live there away from family. Would be a testing culture shock.

Edited by DeeDee

41 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

Could work in leagues such as Malaysia, Thailand ect. However Japan would be prioritizing their own talent, whilst china would be screwing over anyone they can.

But its certainly a smart move as a 4th/5th ranked league in asia that we create some kind of partnership with a good development side in a growing league like Thailand. The tough thing would be asking an 17/18 year old to live there away from family. Would be a testing culture shock.

Hmm good point about Japan and China but I guess with South East Asian leagues we could work with them. I know Jason Davidson has a spell with the youth in Japan while he was overseas. Just an idea to put out there

1 hour ago, DeeDee said:

Ask any 18 year old to take 6 months playing for the Bali Tigers 

you wont have a a problem! 

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Hmm good point about Japan and China but I guess with South East Asian leagues we could work with them. I know Jason Davidson has a spell with the youth in Japan while he was overseas. Just an idea to put out there

And the young guy at Roar did as well I think. Forgot his name - Irish/Japanese fellow.

It is amazing the level of organization they have in Japan at youth level.  There is an annual nationwide high schools competition that get televised.  While it is natural they would want to improve their own talent, I believe they could accept overseas players as part of the development process by exposing them to different types of players.

Southeast Asia, while there is great talent, I would be concerned about the level of professionalism with possibility of injury, exposure to gambling driven corruption etc.