Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

2 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Half the A League teams would take him in a heartbeat, a move to Indonesia is the stupidest idea i've heard in ages.

Bintangs for breakfast from the 7eleven, hair braides, getting sunburnt like a lobster in a pot and those strange mushroom milkshakes. Whats not to love.

:xnod:

If you assume all off contract players are leaving our lineup so far looks:

Vedran

Russell - Tass - Ziegler - Elrich

Baccus - Brattan

Duke - Foreign AMC - Yeboah

Foreign ST

Bench: Suman/Nizic, Kamau, Grozos, Fitzgerald, O'Doherty

If Ziegler finally gets his citizenship papers that leaves you with three foreign spots after the obvious AMC/ST combination. The obvious spots to improve on that squad are in defence where we have young inexperienced players or a keeper prone to brain explosions. Foreign GK, Foreign CB and Foreign RB?

31 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Not secret really. I know a guy at City

Hmmmm. I was told he is off to united. 

6 minutes ago, dcrow said:

I know a lot of people don't rate Riera but I would take another season with him but on a reduced wage. He holds the ball well, can cross, can head and defends well in corners. When he is on his game and with the right players to deliver balls to him, I believe he would be the most dangerous striker in the A League.

I agree. He was very unhappy earlier this season. He thought he'd signed up with an ambitious club, but found himself with underachievers instead. His injury didn't help. But he picked himself up, in this form, with this attitude, he is an asset. 

25 minutes ago, mack said:

:xnod:

If you assume all off contract players are leaving our lineup so far looks:

Vedran

Russell - Tass - Ziegler - Elrich

Baccus - Brattan

Duke - Foreign AMC - Yeboah

Foreign ST

Bench: Suman/Nizic, Kamau, Grozos, Fitzgerald, O'Doherty

If Ziegler finally gets his citizenship papers that leaves you with three foreign spots after the obvious AMC/ST combination. The obvious spots to improve on that squad are in defence where we have young inexperienced players or a keeper prone to brain explosions. Foreign GK, Foreign CB and Foreign RB?

I don't think you can make that assumption. 

One of the main issues this season was that the ratio of older and young players was out of whack. Once senior players were injured or not up to scratch, MB was left without alternatives, competition within the squad was lacking.

If you have Hamill, Risdon, Mahazi, Sotirio, Bridge, GG plus four imports leaving, you are left with Ziegler, Duke, Yeboah, kamau and Elrich as above-23 players (I don't count Fitzgerald any longer). There are not enough good quality HAL players on the market to fill those gaps. 

Also, with the U23 tournament certain to cause havoc for us, we need to have approximately 15 capable over-23 players in the squad if we are to remain competitive in January.  

I think that 4 imports, the existing five O23 players, plus Hamill, Mahazi, GG, maybe Sotirio, plus Brattan and Georgievski (if true), plus a big pool of young players is more realistic. 

45 minutes ago, FCB said:

I don't think you can make that assumption. 

Yeah, I imagine there's a few players who will are at least negotiating with to re-sign this is just a hypothetical considering our position in the league.

On another note, for Riera, despite his good scoring form (although below what you expect from a marquee striker imo), I think our games against Victory & SFC are going to be deterministic regarding if we want to keep him. He has one goal against the top 3 teams and his two goals against the 4th & 5th place teams were both penalties.

33 minutes ago, mack said:

Yeah, I imagine there's a few players who will are at least negotiating with to re-sign this is just a hypothetical considering our position in the league.

On another note, for Riera, despite his good scoring form (although below what you expect from a marquee striker imo), I think our games against Victory & SFC are going to be deterministic regarding if we want to keep him. He has one goal against the top 3 teams and his two goals against the 4th & 5th place teams were both penalties.

Even though a loss, he delivered a pin point cross two weeks ago to Duke

So the only player left i said we should go for that we haven't gone for or at least looked at is Spiranovic. That said, I thought about Barbarouses before we signed Duke & Yeboah. Duke, Yeboah & Barbarouses as a front 3 would be pretty dynamic and Duke would still provide some height.

4 hours ago, wswnick said:

We're in for Barbarouses as marquee according to TWG

Ugh... underwhelming and redundant. Maybe we get a new winger if we ditch some chaff but we have a bit of depth at winner.

FCB - same guy told me about the Baccus move a week before it was announced. Ill take his word till he breaks his streak

8 hours ago, mack said:

So the only player left i said we should go for that we haven't gone for or at least looked at is Spiranovic. That said, I thought about Barbarouses before we signed Duke & Yeboah. Duke, Yeboah & Barbarouses as a front 3 would be pretty dynamic and Duke would still provide some height.

I’m really like Duke at winger instead of 9. He thrives on having a bit of space to attack. And his anticipation of when to drift in and out is pretty darn good. He’s so strong blasting past people. I’m not sure he’d get the same space at 9. Barba is a bit similar. All three in the same squad would be killer but a true 9 would really get them pumping.

Yeah Barbs agent obviously trying to increase this clients wage, I can’t see us going for him As Babbel has shown he’s a strong 4 2 3 1 guy and yeboah and duke look likely to take the wide spots 

barba as marquee makes no sense when our have to decide our striker, number 10, centre mid and left back. 

Possibly CB as well if Babbel doesn’t roll the dice on Zeigler 

21 hours ago, dcrow said:

I know a lot of people don't rate Riera but I would take another season with him but on a reduced wage. He holds the ball well, can cross, can head and defends well in corners. When he is on his game and with the right players to deliver balls to him, I believe he would be the most dangerous striker in the A League.

I remember last year guys on here were saying they wanted to have Riera's babies they loved him so much.

21 hours ago, mack said:

I'm with you Mack, he should be made "Priority No.1"

18 minutes ago, Jefski said:

I'm with you Mack, he should be made "Priority No.1"

Spira might be a target for WU given he is a Geelong boy? 

Damn - that just gave me an idea of a name for Western United supporters group - "The WU Tang Clan"!