Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

The A-League clubs and their independent a-league blueprint want a 7 man subs bench, to ensure there's no "4+1" and an "ongoing evaluation" of the 5 man limit in the context of there being more expansion teams diluting the quality of Australian players that reading through the lines makes me believe they want it to be almost immediately increased to 6 or 7 foreigners, in addition to breaking the PFA-FFA collective bargaining agreement in favour of simple basic Australian contract law between players and their clubs.

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

From what i've heard from someone whos parents work at the club, 4 out of the 5 foreigners have signed for next season. I was also told that they might be moving the foreign player count up a bit but they have to play a few from the bench?

I hope you don’t mean 4 of our current 5

3 hours ago, ALBNIAACAB said:

kamau looks to be  be transitioning into a FB, MB pointed out that he has speed and great technical ability for that position.

hes been great there aswell 

with georgievski coming in it will provide competition for places

I still haven't seen where Georgevski has been announced. Has this been confirmed?

6 minutes ago, Jefski said:

I still haven't seen where Georgevski has been announced. Has this been confirmed?

No, it hasn't.

First the season ends. Then there is the WSW season end function. After that there will be an announcement which players are departing. The way we are going, that'll be straight after R27, end of April.

The six finalists will go through the same process on the way to the GF, May 19th. As the eliminations happen, clubs start to announce which players they've signed from eliminated clubs.

If Georgevski has been signed, you can expect an announcement early May. By the end of June the bulk of the squad will have been announced and prepare for the Leeds United game.

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

yeah although I think we may have signed 2 or 3 new foreign players, meaning possibly Roly has signed for Perth and Llorente obviously gone. I heard the players Babbel signed were players he knows well.

MB said in the Saturday press conference that he can't give us any names of new players because we haven't signed them yet.

Only once the framework for the new HAL season stands will the club know what they can sign, and have clarify about the cap. Unless, of course, the clubs know what is in the document, and are acting accordingly already.

If the cap is changed and the head count of import players is going up then the off season will be frantic.

3 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

there's nothing to Kamau. he's more than likely never won a physical battle on the pitch. we've already got an attacking fullback that can't defend in Llorente.

and i dare say if the reason we aren't seeing Risdon is because he's signed elsewhere - maybe that's why we aren't seeing Jaush?

Too early to criticize Kaumau. He's only played a handful of games as RB, and by the looks of it, he's doing ok. Besides, lack of height and weight didn't stop Phillipp Lahm. No doubt during next pre season Marcelo Martins will take Kamau to the gym, together with all others who are being pushed off the ball too easily.

Sotirio only played as much as he did because Duke, Yeboah and Bridge weren't around, and he was ahead of Majok in the first half of the season. He is now behind those four, and can consider himself a squaddie.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

Too early to criticize Kaumau. He's only played a handful of games as RB, and by the looks of it, he's doing ok. Besides, lack of height and weight didn't stop Phillipp Lahm. No doubt during next pre season Marcelo Martins will take Kamau to the gym, together with all others who are being pushed off the ball too easily.

Sotirio only played as much as he did because Duke, Yeboah and Bridge weren't around, and he was ahead of Majok in the first half of the season. He is now behind those four, and can consider himself a squaddie.

Sotirio is a good shout for a squadie. Imagine having Yeboah and Duke running at you for 80 minutes, one stupid fast and pretty strong, the other stupid strong and pretty fast. Then having one of them subbed off only to have another 10 minute on tired legs trying to chase Sotirio down.

His end product might mean the ball ends up in row 27 but he won’t have any defenders around him when he does it!!

Seriously though our lack of wing backs in concerning. It’s something both sydney and Perth have had in common is very strong wing backs, helping put pressure on opposition defence. I don’t see that in Tate and Elrich

Yeah what i've heard is Babbel wants all the new players in before the Leeds game, at the start of pre season so he can spend the full time with them. I'm sure Babbel didn't want to say names because then other teams could potentially try put in a better offer. Could be very interesting though considering they might be making more foreign players come in.

Also lederer seems to be pushing for the new document to be passed, maybe because we are looking to immediately sign 5 or 6 new foreign players.

Out of the foreigners this is what i'd do:

Baumjohhan (I just feel he will)

Riera (I mean he has shown he can score with a trash team around him but we could go better)

Ziegler (Aussie)

Roly (seems definitely off to Glory)

Llorente (see ya)

5 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

From what i've heard from someone whos parents work at the club, 4 out of the 5 foreigners have signed for next season. 

35 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Also lederer seems to be pushing for the new document to be passed, maybe because we are looking to immediately sign 5 or 6 new foreign players.

2 posts from you today.

One says we have signed 4 out of the five foreigners for next season.

The next says we are looking at signing 5 or 6 NEW foreigners.

That's 9-10 foreigners in the team for next season. Excellent news!!

Do you think Gallop or the other A-League clubs will notice?

Edited by Wanderboy
1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

2 posts from you today.

One says we have signed 4 out of the five foreigners for next season.

The next says we are looking at signing 5 or 6 NEW foreigners.

That's 9-10 foreigners in the team for next season. Excellent news!!

Do you think Gallop or the other A-League clubs will notice?

Cause im not sure the reliability of people. And plus, they are changing things in the A-League.

11 hours ago, jackyboyc said:

Aussies do not count as visa players for Wellington (it is the A-League, so it would be counter-intuitive to the domestic league to restrict any number of spots for our own players). Right now they have at least 10 non-Kiwi players if you include the Australians (Lowry, Burns, Williams Golec, Burgess) and overseas players (Taylor, Sheridan, Kurto, etc.)

This is exactly right. I see and speak to Rudan at my local cafe Sunday mornings when the nix play in nsw. Wouldn’t mind him coaching us one day. He’s done remarkably well over there when no one has succeeded.

Let’s see what happens next season at the ‘Nix, if Rudan remains at the club. Merrick did well for a year if I recall correctly, but things as per usual with Wellington went to crap in Merrick’s later seasons.

9 hours ago, mack said:

Kamau at 24 age could develop into a decent fullback. I would trust Babbel's instinct on this. If he becomes an RB/RW similar to Cole he could be a good long term investment as a squad player.

Kamau is  too weak to be a right back,  surely if we are manufacturing a right back Sotirio should be a  much better option .  Stronger faster and a better defender on low wages with loyalty salary cap exemptions. 

Hopefully Babels instincts are right but my instincts say otherwise .

12 hours ago, TheSweeper said:

Kamau is  too weak to be a right back,  surely if we are manufacturing a right back Sotirio should be a  much better option .  Stronger faster and a better defender on low wages with loyalty salary cap exemptions. 

Hopefully Babels instincts are right but my instincts say otherwise .

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/babbel-makes-case-for-kamau-in-defence-20190402-p51a22.html

Well his making a case for him so he must see something in him in that position