mack

Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

41 minutes ago, FCB said:

It certainly is. Still, unless I am mistaken: Kamau and Elrich are the only two who played all 27 HAL games, and one can argue that it happened for a reason.

Can anyone explain to me the other half to that equation? No other player led to more goals conceded than him, perhaps behind the scenes he showed the leadership & determination that others lacked?

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

7 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Can anyone explain to me the other half to that equation? No other player led to more goals conceded than him, perhaps behind the scenes he showed the leadership & determination that others lacked?

Babbel wanted to give Elrich a break as early as January, but he couldn't. At the time there weren't any valid alternatives with Ziegler out, Risdon away with the NT, Llorente in the wilderness. And so Elrich had to keep playing. He was knackered, was playing next to Hamill who was equally knackered. And so mistakes kept creeping in.

Janjetovic's errors were, in contrast, entirely avoidable. His performance was the biggest problem in an error prone team.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

He was consistent 

wasn’t very good, but he was consistently not very good 

Agree. Kamau offers less Sotirio.

11 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

Agree. Kamau offers less Sotirio.

Possibly the worst compliment one could receive. Right up there with Charles Manson being a great cell mate.

Brisbane Roar just announced 14 players are leaving the club. That has to be biggest number ever in A-League history, yeah?

What’s Luke Devere like for quality? Sounds like he wasn’t getting much game time in an already leaky Brisbane defence. Clearly had some promise at some point 

Going to be fun trying to get all the good Aussies with Brisbane, Jets and Western United trying to do the same

6 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Going to be fun trying to get all the good Aussies with Brisbane, Jets and Western United trying to do the same

There’s a metric shitload off contract this year, but lots of teams on the hunt as you say.

Our biggest concern is nailing 4 foreigners though. Too many poor decisions and crap recruits. Though Lawrence Thomas wouldn’t hurt if we can cu/nt punt Vedran

1 hour ago, MathyouWSW said:

Brisbane Roar just announced 14 players are leaving the club. That has to be biggest number ever in A-League history, yeah?

Just wait until our announcement 

1 hour ago, MathyouWSW said:

We shafted 18 players after S3, 16 after S4, "only" 14 after S5, and really only 10 after S6.

We might just topple the Roar's 14. I am counting 12 players departing, with ?? behind three others.

12 minutes ago, FCB said:

We shafted 18 players after S3, 16 after S4, "only" 14 after S5, and really only 10 after S6.

We might just topple the Roar's 14. I am counting 12 players departing, with ?? behind three others.

:( What would figures like those do for our desirability as a club - from a player's perspective.

Once, our club would have been the A League dream for many players.

But now????

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:( What would figures like those do for our desirability as a club - from a player's perspective.

Once, our club would have been the A League dream for many players.

But now????

Popa was ruthless and gutted his squad repeatedly. The vast majority of those culls were done by him. Didn't stop players wanting to play for him.

7 minutes ago, Carns said:

Popa was ruthless and gutted his squad repeatedly. The vast majority of those culls were done by him. Didn't stop players wanting to play for him and in front of a dynamic RBB and a lively stadium full of passionate supporters..

Fixed!

But that was then...this is now. :cry:

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Fixed!

But that was then...this is now. :cry:

Start winning again in our shiny new stadium and some of the lustre will come back (I am unsure whether the heights of the first 2-3 seasons will return though).

38 minutes ago, FCB said:

One of those (S3?) Included 3 or 4 injury replacements.

With the quality Australian players babbel wants to sign.. Any possible diamonds in a rough type of players in the NPL we can sign? 

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

One of those (S3?) Included 3 or 4 injury replacements.

Everyone just off contract equals 13 players. Throw in the players we've told to ggf, and that's Nizic, Fitzgerald and Vedran takes us to 16 in total. I don't think more than 1 or 2 at the most of our off-contract players will remain (Hamill and GG the most likely retains).

4 hours ago, wswnick said:

One promising sign is Babel has done a great job bringing overseas Aussies back. The signings of Yeboah and Duke were excellent and gives me some hope for the off season in what will be a demanding market. 

21 hours ago, FCB said:

MB said that there has to be competition for every position, so the concept of starting players will be a somewhat theoretical one. If he wants competition he will want at least one additional quality winger, hence the interest in Barbarousses.

He certainly will not want a repeat of S7 where he started with 15 over-23 players, just to find that they were either injured a lot (Bridgey, Ziegler), not good enough (Nizic, Fitzgerald, Sotirio, Llorente), unfit due to no pre season (Mahazi), absent because of NT duties (Risdon), too error prone without having a valid alternative (Hamill, Janjetovic, Elrich), or at times seemingly unmotivated (Roly, Treejack, Riera). In other words, the only player who was available and performed consistently was Kamau.

Reading through what I've just wrote, it is no wonder that we struggled as much as we did.

Yes when you dissect it logically and that is what you have done it is  easy to see why we were shite 

Re - the Barba point no doubt you want players pushing the issue is in a salary cap league do you want to invest sizeable amount into a player where you do have have good players already, I guess granted all 3 barb, Yeb and duke can play multiple positions. 

The key for me is always getting imports who can play as many games as possible 

this season of our imports as you said were a mixture or unmotivated injured or shite 

next season you need 5 imports ready to play and lead - without this ur season is done before it starts.

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Yes when you dissect it logically and that is what you have done it is  easy to see why we were shite 

Re - the Barba point no doubt you want players pushing the issue is in a salary cap league do you want to invest sizeable amount into a player where you do have have good players already, I guess granted all 3 barb, Yeb and duke can play multiple positions. 

The key for me is always getting imports who can play as many games as possible 

this season of our imports as you said were a mixture or unmotivated injured or shite 

next season you need 5 imports ready to play and lead - without this ur season is done before it starts.

Quality over quantity though with imports (ideally both) need 3 who make a real difference 

look at the like of Toinovan, Honda or Ninkovic (in past Adrian) 

Little point in those that are not better than local player (other than they are easier to find)

MB said that getting the quality imports is not the issue, getting the Aussies is. Missing out on vukovic, brilliante, troisi, and letting Vidosic go, that's the kind of stuff that hurt us badly in the last three years. I hope that, with signing Duke, Yeboah, and GG the tide has turned. MB seems to have reason to be optimistic that there I more to come. Fingers crossed.

Just keeping ikonomidis, Antonis and Spira would have made a huge difference to our performance in the last two years.

Instead they left and won trophies at another club. All for what? So we could pay cejudo and jumpei far too much cash.

24 minutes ago, mack said:

Just keeping ikonomidis, Antonis and Spira would have made a huge difference to our performance in the last two years.

Instead they left and won trophies at another club. All for what? So we could pay cejudo and jumped far too much cash.

You have to admit though that recruiting foreigners is very hit and miss for many clubs bar a few exemptions. On paper many of our imports should have smashed it here.

5 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

You have to admit though that recruiting foreigners is very hit and miss for many clubs bar a few exemptions. On paper many of our imports should have smashed it here.

We now have a munich-based aussie agent (agostino) an a sydney-based bavarian manager. What can possibly go wrong....? 

5 minutes ago, FCB said:

We now have a munich-based aussie agent (agostino) an a sydney-based bavarian manager. What can possibly go wrong....? 

Don't say that

13 hours ago, matty said:

One promising sign is Babel has done a great job bringing overseas Aussies back. The signings of Yeboah and Duke were excellent and gives me some hope for the off season in what will be a demanding market. 

reminds me somewhat what popa did with mooy, i mean i think mooy is a better player than Yeboah and Duke but saying a player isnt as good as mooy is not an insult