Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

17 hours ago, mack said:

There is absolutely no way we should waste a foreign spot (he's only been here since the middle of last year)  on an NPL level player who's best seasons were at a Spanish 3rd tier club 6 years ago. The NPL Rookie has to be Australian.

This...and sadly a few of the NPL players that are talented ones and could get a run in the A-League aren't Australian Citizens.

33 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

This...and sadly a few of the NPL players that are talented ones and could get a run in the A-League aren't Australian Citizens.

Jordan Murray was ace for Apia and Burgess for Olympic both deservingly got a league gigs (sea bogans and nix) and did ok 

Japanese guy at Apia was boss, gone to Avondale now I guess a league teams didn’t want to use foreign spot on him 

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, WHACKO said:

Thread should now be called squad recruitment.

Let the speculation begin. I'll begin.

Pierre-Michel Lasogga (striker).  Played at Hertha BSC between 2010 to 2013. Babbel was Manager there from 2010 to 2011.

Is currently at Hamburger SV contracted till 30/6/2019.

Further news to leave Hamburger.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/pierre-michel-lasogga/profil/spieler/73013

3 hours ago, FCB said:

In S3 we still had Covic and Ron Corry, and ended up with a goal difference of 29:44, or 1.6+ conceded per game.

In 17/18 we had played with a ridiculous high line with slow CBs. In the first six games under Gombau we conceded 16 (2.67). The 7 goals conceded in the five games under Foxe  (1.4) draw a more accurate picture.

18/19 - I said it elsewhere, what do you do if you play with a makeshift defense all season? Also, between Jan 1st and Feb 1st we played 8 games with at times very experimental line ups, and copped 24 goals (3 per game). The players were depleted and knackered, as they were in S3. Take those 8 games out of the picture, and 1.6 goals conceded per game again seems more realistic.

Unless you know something that I don't know, blaming the GK coach for GK errors which resulted into a handful of goals conceded (but also a big chunk of points lost) does not explain the poor defensive performance.

Arithmatic!

Goals scored last 3 seasons 35, 38 & 42. Improving, not bad.

Goals conceded last 3 seasons - 35, 47 & 54. 2.0 goals per game suggests a big problermo

We should be able to pick up a decent starting keeper from somewhere. That leaves the ball in Vedran court. Hang around and collect the money knowing he won't get game time or try and find a contract somewhere he can start. If he stays, great, there are worse second choice keepers out there. If he goes, great, it will free up some coin. I cant imagine he is on a huge salary so surely it won't damage our cap space dramatically? 

1 hour ago, wswnick said:

Georgievski 2 year deal

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/western-sydney-wanderers-sign-daniel-georgievski-from-newcastle-jets/news-story/6a0bc74d939c8304e3daf31bacd21c9d

Five years ago, when Daniel Georgievski signed his first A-League contract with Melbourne Victory, he took a trip home to find a bunch of relatives wearing Western Sydney jerseys.

The Blacktown-born full-back had just returned from a seven-year stint playing in Europe and quietly joined Kevin Muscat’s big guns south of the border.

Not that his extended family knew right away.

“When I came back to Sydney to see everyone my cousins rocked up in Wanderers jerseys and told me I’d picked the wrong club,” Georgievski said.

“They supported them even before I was in Australia. But my parents don’t support anyone other than wherever I’m playing.”

Now he’s back in the city he left as an 18-year-old, finally wearing the red and black on a two-year move he hopes will not only calm the family football feud but also offer a compelling new chapter to his increasingly well-travelled career.

f0fed6c2326335ea681336b57895a7a8?width=1024

In the ultimate familial sacrifice, some of Georgievski’s relatives eventually peeled themselves away from the Wanderers to follow the path of the Marconi Stallions junior and Macedonian international.

First at Victory, where he won the 2014-15 A-League double and 2015 FFA Cup, and won the 2016-17 the Joe Marston Medal despite losing that grand final.

Then to Newcastle where, in his first season, he was part the club’s remarkable wooden-spoon-to-grand-final run only to lose that controversial VAR-influenced decider against the club he’d just left.

Indeed, every campaign since Georgievski first moved to Romania in 2012 has produced either a trophy, close brush with a title or an Asian Champions League knockout-stage run.

“In that sense this year (missing the finals) was one of the hardest I’ve had to swallow in my career,” he said.

And even though the vibe in the Hunter remained great, the Jets only offered him a one-year extension.

So when Markus Babbel came calling with a two-year deal at the turn of the new year he snapped it up.

Now, reunited with former Victory assistant Jean-Paul de Marigny, he’ll return with a clutch of zealous fans in tow - even if it is just for the blood link.

“They’re now getting back to Parramatta where they had their best years,” he said.

“To be a part of that is a big thing.”

Well, that's 1

15 to go

glad to have a western boy at home 

but it’s underwhelming signing

victory signed storm roux who was lighting it up for nix to replace him 

now we are signing him up after an average season for another team who didn’t make the 6, can Babbel make him better perhaps but if he’s lined up to start I am not over impressed 

but as always good luck and support any wanderer! 

Hopefully he can find his best football in red and black

31 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

now we are signing him up after an average season for another team who didn’t make the 6, can Babbel make him better perhaps but if he’s lined up to start I am not over impressed 

Georgievski is JP signing to replace either Risdon and so extent, Llorente. He and Russell will can fight it out for right back. DG has also played left back. 

I consider this one a utility signing which is reasonable with the likelihood of salary cap being scrapped extremely unlikely.

at least he shows some grit like our season 1 players.

8 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I feel ya. Let's hope we signed the Macedonian international who once was with Steaua, not the player who was turned inside out by Castelen a few years back. It's interesting that after Yeboah, Duke and GG we signed another player with overseas experience. One would hope that he'll be familiar with concepts like professionalism/mentality/structure/energy/discipline. At the very least he should spare us the kind of stupid mistakes at the back that have been haunting us all season.

15 hours ago, mack said:

Vedran is constantly 'pre-diving' and trying to guess where he thinks the shots is going to go instead of waiting.

The hallmark of a keeper who has been extended beyond their ability.

Time for a new Shitty Rumours thread after the play release confirmations?

"There are big changes afoot at the Wanderers, not least in the goalkeeping department where goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic is among several players who have been told they can leave by coach Markus Babbel, despite in his case having another three years on his contract.

Now speculation is growing that a remarkable union is on the cards for Janjetovic with Zeljko Kalac, the former Socceroo turned goalkeeping coach who signed the 31-year old at Sydney FC, then the Wanderers – and now is based at Melbourne City.

Thanks to the form of veteran Eugene Galekovic at City, Mark Birighitti hasn’t had a look in – and we hear he wants out, making Janjetovic the obvious replacement, given how highly Kalac rates him.

After a season marked by too many errors, Janjetovic needs a fresh start, and one option would be a straight swap deal with Birighitti.

But we hear the latter is interested in a move to Melbourne Victory, though incumbent Lawrence Thomas is one of the best in the competition."

6 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Eugene is unsure on his future. He sounds like he is moving from City or retiring. Personally I wouldn't take him.

Jamison mentioned that Eugene was maybe looking a t GK coaching gig in a league 

4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Jamison mentioned that Eugene was maybe looking a t GK coaching gig in a league 

"While Galekovic's form this season suggests he could potentially play for one more year, it's understood he could be enticed into retirement in favour of a long-term coaching position with his beloved Reds.

It'd have him. Ex-Soccerroo which counts for something, solid, does not make silly mistakes, and can pull off match winning performances, as we have seen on New Year's Day.

17 minutes ago, wswnick said:

"There are big changes afoot at the Wanderers, not least in the goalkeeping department where goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic is among several players who have been told they can leave by coach Markus Babbel, despite in his case having another three years on his contract.

Now speculation is growing that a remarkable union is on the cards for Janjetovic with Zeljko Kalac, the former Socceroo turned goalkeeping coach who signed the 31-year old at Sydney FC, then the Wanderers – and now is based at Melbourne City.

Thanks to the form of veteran Eugene Galekovic at City, Mark Birighitti hasn’t had a look in – and we hear he wants out, making Janjetovic the obvious replacement, given how highly Kalac rates him.

After a season marked by too many errors, Janjetovic needs a fresh start, and one option would be a straight swap deal with Birighitti.

But we hear the latter is interested in a move to Melbourne Victory, though incumbent Lawrence Thomas is one of the best in the competition."

He'd be my pick out of the lot of them.