Jump to content
mack

Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

That is fine, but where are we going to find 15 quality affordable players?  Acknowledging something needs to be done, but many of us here have been critical of the continuing cycle of annual squad purges.  If Babbel fails next year and a new manager comes in, expect deja vu all over again.

If you know how you want to play, you can then figure out the key requirements for players within the squad as a whole. I suspect within the second tier of the squad, Babbel will look for players who have both a good mentality/desire and strong technical skills in the basic requirements of their position. He's not going to accept technically deficient players.

Majok = Awful first touch = Gone

Mahazi = Deficient passing = Gone

Baumjohann = Can't shoot = Gone

Riera = Too slow = Gone

Llorente = Abysmal positioning = Gone

Share this post


Link to post
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

5 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

That is fine, but where are we going to find 15 quality affordable players?  Acknowledging something needs to be done, but many of us here have been critical of the continuing cycle of annual squad purges.  If Babbel fails next year and a new manager comes in, expect deja vu all over again.

We don't need sign another 15 quality players.

  • 9 existing players with senior contracts: Hamill, Kamau, Duke, Tass, Baccus, Elrich, Yeboah, JoD, Ziegler
  • 5 new imports (assuming that Ziegler will get his passport in time)
  • 1 new local player announced (Georgievski)
  • That's 15. Add Grozos, Monge, Tate, Suman. 19.

Signing two or three additional quality local players, that's the challenge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Kerem time ?

What's that? A a drug that gets you banned from playing football? Something that you consume at Maccas and gets you in jail? Something that makes you forget the offside rule? Something that causes you having arguments with your team mates and and off the pitch?

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, mack said:

If you know how you want to play, you can then figure out the key requirements for players within the squad as a whole. I suspect  within the second tier of the squad, Babbel will look for players who have both a good mentality/desire and strong technical skills in the basic requirements of their position. He's not going to accept technically deficient players.

Majok = Awful first touch = Gone

Mahazi = Deficient passing = Gone

Baumjohann = Can't shoot = Gone

Riera = Too slow = Gone

Llorente = Abysmal positioning = Gone

Ya know, if you combine all those deficiencies it would be like watching me play.

Share this post


Link to post

Feeling good.

A new beginning. Another one, but this one feels better.

We'll know fairly soon if MB has a decent contacts list.

Bring on the Leeds.

Share this post


Link to post

I assume that Georgievski is the only one announced so far as he's the only one we looked at from outside the top 6 (a good thing). Wonder if we'll hear about any other signings next week after 2 teams get knocked out over the weekend and have their clean outs.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FCB said:

What's that? A a drug that gets you banned from playing football? Something that you consume at Maccas and gets you in jail? Something that makes you forget the offside rule? Something that causes you having arguments with your team mates and and off the pitch?

He's never played for Babbel.

Deserves a 3rd chance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

He's never played for Babbel.

Deserves a 3rd chance.

 

Only another three years until his ban from the game is sorted. I can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post

If his ban gets lifted he should go to Wellington or Western United. Stay far away from the big cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mack said:

If his ban gets lifted he should go to Wellington or Western United. Stay far away from the big cities.

As long people are at the club who remember his last stint he will never set a foot into WSW again. He disqualified himself last time, both on the pitch and the training ground.

But it does make for a cute story really. In 20 years time we'll still have people talking about the Bulut era, and how he could have lifted WSW to new heights, and how he could have helped the Socceroos win the WC, if only WSW had given him a third, fourth chance...

Edited by FCB

Share this post


Link to post
On 01/05/2019 at 9:47 PM, Xfactor said:

We all know he left Australia for Dortmund but now in the no frills, no one watches Danish league . And if he played here next season you think he would be on the average 60k euro? ( aprox 100k)? Is this a serious post?

Euro clubs scout the danish league a $hit ton more than the HAL... not to mention the quality is relatively high and the pay better

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jimspade said:

Euro clubs scout the danish league a $hit ton more than the HAL... not to mention the quality is relatively high and the pay better

Yes, they do. Not sure why he thought I wasn't the one being serious there.

Its already the offseason and no ones posted shitty youtube videos of below average european players scoring goals in front of empty stands. I'll kick it off
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, BohemianDublin said:

Feeling good.

A new beginning. Another one, but this one feels better.

We'll know fairly soon if MB has a decent contacts list.

Bring on the Leeds.

Got it in one. This off season will prove how cool his little black book really is. 

Share this post


Link to post

Whats the appetite for risk this season?

High risk, high reward player like Fernando Gago, who just had his contract terminated but is refusing to retire citing that he has more seasons in him. Potentially would sit half a season on the bench but would tear the league to shreds when hes on the pitch. Maybe a short A-league season is his gig?

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, FCB said:

Only another three years until his ban from the game is sorted. I can't wait.

We can forget about him.

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Whats the appetite for risk this season?

High risk, high reward player like Fernando Gago, who just had his contract terminated but is refusing to retire citing that he has more seasons in him. Potentially would sit half a season on the bench but would tear the league to shreds when hes on the pitch. Maybe a short A-league season is his gig?

Baby Baccus could learn a lot from Gago.

Share this post


Link to post

The anticipation and innuendo has begun. Welcome to yet another long off season. I hope we get it right this time as my blood pressure can't handle 3 straight failed seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Jefski said:

The anticipation and innuendo has begun. Welcome to yet another long off season. I hope we get it right this time as my blood pressure can't handle 3 straight failed seasons.

More "In your endo" I say...

Share this post


Link to post

200px-Yasuhito_End%C5%8D_against_Bahrain

Endo is only 39... doubt Gamba Osaka would let him go though.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Carns said:

200px-Yasuhito_End%C5%8D_against_Bahrain

Endo is only 39... doubt Gamba Osaka would let him go though.

He’s at the Endo his career...

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Wasnt he the one we supposedly had secured in jan but couldnt get over the line due to Aussie Pat's passoport not being sorted?

He's off contract now anyway. Should bid big on someone like Holtby

No. We were after DM Jan Kirchoff 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

No. We were after DM Jan Kirchoff 

Holtby was previously mentioned in this thread this season 

Share this post


Link to post

I am still waiting for a few more to go after a ...

" Mutual agreement"

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, SteveB said:

Long time reader, first time poster!

Had an interesting chat with Vedran at a club function last night. Basically said he has 3 years remaining on his contract and wasn't looking to go anywhere. Wasn't sure what the coaches plans were for the upcoming season but was pretty confident he was staying.

Also, not sure if anyone knows this (he mentioned that the club kept it quiet) but he has been playing since round 13 with a tear to his rotator cuff which may require surgery in the next week or so depending on how it heals, he was getting injections prior to each match. The goal he conceded against Adam Taggart did more damage apparently....maybe would have been best if he sat it out and got it fixed based on the last few months of the season....

Sounds like he’s looking for sympathy and a bit of an excuse haha if he had torn the whole rotator cuff he’d be unable to do anything with his shoulder let alone keep. Probably got a little tear in one of the four muscles that make up the RC, which is quite common. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

No. We were after DM Jan Kirchoff 

Kirchoff would be good if  he remained uninjured, he ruptured his outer meniscus in December 2016, hasn't played a great deal since then, although  he was highly regarded by Sunderland fans when he did play.

Having a look through his injury history over the last six years he does seem to have been quite injury prone.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Sounds like he’s looking for sympathy and a bit of an excuse haha if he had torn the whole rotator cuff he’d be unable to do anything with his shoulder let alone keep. Probably got a little tear in one of the four muscles that make up the RC, which is quite common. 

Possibly. Though don’t forget playing with an injury often changes the way people play.

The sad truth is for Vedran, we were warned by SFC fans of his tendency to go on wild crusades out of his box and that he was highly prone to dumb mistakes under the high ball. I fondly recall him bundling a high ball into his own bet against us 5 years ago.

We knew what he was when he got here. If Greenwood or Suman are change neutral then put them in. Pay Vedran some coin and go away. Spend that money on the back line

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/02/2019 at 6:23 PM, wswnick said:

 

Ooooh.....

Whatever happened about this rumour?  It seems there were a few people on here who were in the know about it.

The player I saw mentioned on here in this regard  was Christian Gentner who is  currently the captain at Stuttgart, so obviously would have the strong mentality Marcus is looking for.

Is this likely to happen?

Also Mile Jedinak could be a possibilty too, apparently Ante Milicic has  turned down the South West Sydney position.

 

Share this post


Link to post
×