Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

6 hours ago, mack said:

He's played more times for Australia than he has full 90 minute games in a senior team/competition. Picking him for Australia was an attempt at a miracle. I said when his hype first started building that he was flashy but had zero end product with the players around him for Australia & City.

The ACL injury was unfortunate because of how poor the SPL is, he was likely going to break into the first team for semi-regular game time.

The gold standard for Australia -> Europe is Viduka with his ridiculous 40 goals in 40 games record with Melbourne Croatia. I don't think we're likely to ever see another type of performance from a young kid again, the A-League has moved on so much in terms of fitness and tactical awareness than the early 90's NSL, despite what the bitters say. The increasing ability to sign high tier foreign strikers also hurts that idea.

Viduka for me was the best we have ever produced as a striker. The way he dominated the NSL in his first 2 seasons was out of this world. Loved the V-bomber

56 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Gombau sacked April 18 2018, 3 above mentioned players announced 2 May 2018

On Feb 1, 2018, this was on twitter...https://mobile.twitter.com/oztransfers/status/958951511337312256 and was discussed on this forum.

Warren Joyce dropped Kamau in March 2018 because of the possible transfer......https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/warren-joyce-says-bruce-kamau-was-left-out-of-squad-against-adelaide-due-to-speculation-hes-moving-to-the-wanderers/news-story/83d8f6fd69c51b3b49225502ffe0d4c3

The deals were arranged before Gombau got the boot.

11 hours ago, mack said:

The gold standard for Australia -> Europe is Viduka with his ridiculous 40 goals in 40 games record with Melbourne Croatia. I don't think we're likely to ever see another type of performance from a young kid again, the A-League has moved on so much in terms of fitness and tactical awareness than the early 90's NSL, despite what the bitters say. The increasing ability to sign high tier foreign strikers also hurts that idea.

Totally agree re: Viduka and A-league fitness.  Tactical awareness being better is arguable. And missing is technique, determination/passion for the game.

Sometimes I think if you create a plastic, corporate league it spills over into the type of player you develop. For all the talk of academies and this and that, some of the best footballers from around the world come from the streets. And the best ones play with a ball at their feet from birth, and look up to and emulate their heroes. Yeah you've got France etc. who have the academies, but there are different ways to create footballers. Would Australian kids succeed at disciplined boarding academies with schooling etc. from a young age, like they have at Clairefontaine? (Remembering also that France produced great players like Platini and won the Euros before they started Clairefontaine).

The old NSL had kids that came through the ethnic communities, dying to play for their local teams, whether they be Sydney Croatia, Melbourne Knights, Marconi, South Melbourne etc. And the kids looked up to the stars of their parent's country and were indoctrinated into a style of football that their backgrounds demanded. So Cros were watching and copying Boban and Prosinecki etc.  When you add this to the comment by Davo about kids returning after 10 games os, it's easy to see players in a comfort zone. Just playing for an A-league club for $150k, satisfied. The league has this question to answer too, because with no relegation it's too easy to cruise. The old ethnic communities were too proud to allow cruising, and even if a player did cruise in training, they couldn't hide when it came to technique because football was the culture. I feel like corporate nothingness is the A-league culture at the moment. That's gotta affect the players, who either cruise or get the **** outta dodge.

I don't really know if I'm making a point here, more just throwing out observations and ideas. Maybe what I'm saying is, if the A-league is about winning, as it clearly is for coaches and players, and seems to be for most fans, but the level needed to win ain't that great, and the punishment for losing is nothing, then how are we gonna develop players? There needs to be something more built in to the culture that surrounds the game. We lost something when the old NSL clubs started losing fans due to age and the gradual breaking down of those community based clubs, and we havent't really replaced it with anything that is better for the development of footballers (as opposed to athletes).

16 hours ago, Carns said:

How many of them played in the NSL before making the move to Europe?

I've done the research (good way to procrastinate)

Schwarzer (Marconi - 58 games); Culina (Sydney United 32, Sydney Olympic 21); Popovic (Sydney United - 162); Emerton (Sydney Olympic - 94); Skoko (North Geelong - 32); Viduka (Melbourne Knights - 48); Covic (APIA 23, Marconi 46); Grella (Springvale City - 16, Canberra Cosmos - 14, Carlton - 23); Chipperfield (Wollongong Wolves - 131); Aloisi (Adelaide City - 20); Beauchamp (Marconi - 26, Parra Power - 57, Sydney Olympic - 3); Thompson (Bathurst - 16, Gippsland 43, Carlton 53, Marconi 13); Kalac (Sydney United - 92); Kennedy (Carlton - 4); Sterjovski (Wollongong Wolves + United - 5, Sydney United 37, Parra Power 31), Bresciano (Bulleen - 9, Carlton - 28).

Neill, Moore, Cahill, Kewell, Lazaridis, Wilkshire started their senior career overseas.

Interesting. This seems to reinforce that the A-league is not giving enough opportunities to young players. That, or the quality of young players is drastically reduced.

Ever since Topor got injured in the GF, I have thought that  A-league benches need to be bigger. Making two bench spots for youth might help. That way, if someone is injured, the coach can choose to play a vet out of position, or bring on a kid. I don't know, but they gotta do something... perhaps the additional two teams will help...

12 hours ago, JUANDERER said:

Just throwing this out there... (will probably get laughed at)

But I think we could do with somebody like Bruce Djite on the team. Just for locker room purposes. Somebody who can be an outspoken leader for the club, has the experience to potentially fight for a starting spot, bring in some steel, and has the knowledge of the league. 

Aus citizen and would be a cheap acquisition.

Welcome to the forum Bruce! (or his agent!)

Edited by Burztur

Lmao. not Bruce or his agent. Wanderers fan from ctown. RBB member. Currently living in Melbourne though. 

Pretty much just stating that the team is missing an experience leader. (Pretty much what we lost in Santalab or NTS). Doesn't really need to be somebody to put on the pitch. Even to have as a mentor within the coaching staff. There is no leadership on the field. 

As soon as the lads get scored on, heads drop. Need somebody there to keep their chins up and hold some pride.

10 minutes ago, JUANDERER said:

Lmao. not Bruce or his agent. Wanderers fan from ctown. RBB member. Currently living in Melbourne though. 

Pretty much just stating that the team is missing an experience leader. (Pretty much what we lost in Santalab or NTS). Doesn't really need to be somebody to put on the pitch. Even to have as a mentor within the coaching staff. There is no leadership on the field. 

As soon as the lads get scored on, heads drop. Need somebody there to keep their chins up and hold some pride.

Bruce is horribly injury prone, he also scores less from striker than Bridgy from the wing. Problem is bridge is 33 and been out of football for a year - if he does return, it won’t be the old Bridge.

IMO if we need leadership anywhere it’s the midfield. Aussie pat can get the back line together when he’s fit. Our midfield is run by kids who probably don’t even have hair on the nutsack yet.

54 minutes ago, JUANDERER said:

Just taking the piss since you’re a first time poster :)

Agree that we need a leader on the pitch. Hamill and Elrich are senior and respected players but they don’t seem to get that extra grit needed for our guys to get over the line.

3 hours ago, JUANDERER said:

I thought about it too he has good technical ability, very strong and has those leadership qualities BUT like Emily Heskey he cannot score goals. Think we will see Djite more on Foxsports as a Bozza/Fozzy Football Analyses than playing in the A-league again.

21 hours ago, mack said:

He's played more times for Australia than he has full 90 minute games in a senior team/competition. Picking him for Australia was an attempt at a miracle. I said when his hype first started building that he was flashy but had zero end product with the players around him for Australia & City.

The ACL injury was unfortunate because of how poor the SPL is, he was likely going to break into the first team for semi-regular game time.

It's hard to compare as they play in two different positions but the closest anyone has come to that sort of form would have to be Aaron Mooy. He timed his run perfectly and is the A-League's gold standard for transition to O/S. Built himself up slowly and spent a good season or two just carving it up. You could maybe put the old school mariners class of Rogic, Sainsbury, Ryan and Jedinak in that same category. Other than that, it's been a spectacular flop for everyone else.

On 31/01/2019 at 3:51 PM, DeeDee said:

I don't get why there is a witch hunt against Arzani, I think its well premature to judge Arzani's move........ The moment he was about to crack through he did his acl. He was already becoming very usefull for the socceroos which is why we care about player development to begin with so whats the issue here? 

Deluded Brenton wasn't willing to give Arzani any game time so soon and he was right that he wasn't physically ready nor was he match fit but he got pressured from both the media and Man City to demand to play Arzani

I believe this is up to date.

Expiring End 2018/19
Abraham Majok (U21)
Alexander Baumjohann (Foreign)
Brendan Hamill 
Keanu Baccus (U21)
Lachlan Scott (U21)
Marc Tokich (U21)
Mark Bridge
Oriol Riera (Foreign, Marquee)
Raul Llorente (Foreign)
Rashid Mahazi (NPL Rookie)
Jaushua Sotirio
John Roberts (U21)
Josh Risdon
Roly Bonevacia (Foreign)

Expiring Year 2019/20
Bruce Kamau
Danijel Nizic 
Mitch Duke
Nicholas Suman (U21)
Tarek Elrich
Tate Russel (U21)
Tass Mourdoukoutas (U21)

Expiring Year 2020/21
Jordan O'Doherty
Kosta Grozos
Kwame Yeboah
Nick Fitzgerald
Patrick Ziegler (Foreign)

Expiring Year 2021/22
Vedran Janjetovic

22 minutes ago, mack said:

I believe this is up to date.

Expiring End 2018/19
Abraham Majok (U21)
Alexander Baumjohann (Foreign)
Brendan Hamill 
Keanu Baccus (U21)
Lachlan Scott (U21)
Marc Tokich (U21)
Mark Bridge
Oriol Riera (Foreign, Marquee)
Raul Llorente (Foreign)
Rashid Mahazi (NPL Rookie)
Jaushua Sotirio
John Roberts (U21)
Josh Risdon
Roly Bonevacia (Foreign)

Expiring Year 2019/20
Bruce Kamau
Danijel Nizic 
Mitch Duke
Nicholas Suman (U21)
Tarek Elrich
Tate Russel (U21)
Tass Mourdoukoutas (U21)

Expiring Year 2020/21
Jordan O'Doherty
Kosta Grozos
Nick Fitzgerald
Patrick Ziegler (Foreign)

Expiring Year 2021/22
Vedran Janjetovic

You are missing Yeboah he’s 20/21 seasons 

from those expiring at end of this season 

keep

tokich

roberts

Baccus

maybe 

abj 

From the rest we need to try and mutual consent Nizic and Fitzgerald 

13 hours ago, JUANDERER said:

i do agree with you tbh however having someone who can score goals and is an experienced leader is what we need imo but obviously that is not happening

What I think we need is on field leadership and defence. I don't like going back but I think we could do worse and try and get Topor back ( off contract 30:6:19) and not resign Hamill (expiring 18/19).

Also look at this guy don't know when contract is up. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aleksandar-jovanovic/profil/spieler/50377

Llorente (expiring 18/19 and Foreign spot) gone.      Elrich / Nizic (19/20) somehow to go (mutual agreement).    

Risdon (18/19)  being a current Socceroo, you would think he would do better and presume he'd be on reasonable money. gone. 

Some Aussie Options. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-meredith/profil/spieler/48111

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ryan-mcgowan/profil/spieler/54265

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/michael-marrone/profil/spieler/111896

Try and get Birighitti