Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

5 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I think from what i've heard they are going to do the logical thing and open the new stadium next season with quite a few top level players and hopefully deliver the club's first A-League Championship in the first year of the new stadium.

Thoughts on a new goalie? Should we keep the untrustworthy Vedran?

If a better quality keeper is found for the same $'s then I'd say bye bye but that's just me. One brain fade is ok but three.........nope....not good enough.

16 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Couldn't agree more. Wouldn't waste a foreign spot on a goalkeeper would you?

To be honest a foreign keeper that is talented would most probably earn more from Asian clubs than a salary capped league such as ours so it would have to an Aus.

The three best keepers at the moment imho are (not in any particular order).....Jamie Young,LawrenceThomas & Paul Izzo. If Izzo or Thomas were free I would happily snap either of  them up.Jamie Young can be a bit erratic. Redmayne only turns into Buffon when they play us and Reddy hasn't really been tested apart from when we put three past him.

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I think from what i've heard they are going to do the logical thing and open the new stadium next season with quite a few top level players and hopefully deliver the club's first A-League Championship in the first year of the new stadium.

Thoughts on a new goalie? Should we keep the untrustworthy Vedran?

I would. He's certainly a different player with a decent defence just like most keepers are. Just look at Redmayne.

2 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Couldn't agree more. Wouldn't waste a foreign spot on a goalkeeper would you?

Normally I wouldn’t. But there are no Aussies off contract this season I would say are even close to Vedran, let alone a small improvement. 

My only reason for taking a foreign keeper is if Ziggy gets fit and gets his papers. I could accept a ST, 2 cms and a CB on visas if Ziggy gets his **** together. Then use the last spot on a keeper.

However if Vedran decides this is more than “just a job” as he put it, then I’m all for him

9 hours ago, Burztur said:

Birighitti is probably the best domestic option if we promise game time. 

As for Vedran, maybe its a confidence thing and he is slowly building it up again.

Duncan's contract is expiring as well.

17 minutes ago, scarcev said:

My first thought was no, we don't need another striker who cant score. But a quick check shows he actually scored 17 goals in 50 games for WSW. Whilst not outstanding, better than i remember him being. Maybe worth a go if price is right.

1 minute ago, Burztur said:

Marquee is just your 2 more expensive players.

Yeah, i would be using that money elsewhere. An AMC, a Winger, or a dictator in the middle of the park with some go forward. Otherwise if we want a role playing DM we can find that for a good price if we look. 

25 minutes ago, Burztur said:

We also need to be front loading and back loading contracts.

2 year deals where we pay more in year 1 than year 2 and vice versa. It doubles the amount of marquees you can have. Victory and SFC are clearly doing it and to be fair, it's within the rules.

Yeah that's what they were trying with Bobo, Ninkovic and Adrian. It's a bit of a balnacing act and if you screw it up you end up losing your best player.

In regards to keepers looking at no.2s in other teams Birighitti (upgrade) and (wait for it....) Tando Velaphi who would be about the same level as Janjetovic.

Juric I would take him back. The guy won us a champions league trophy and assisted in Socceroos Asian cup victory 2015. Things haven't been great recently for him but I would take him in a heart beat.

But most likely he may go back to Croatia to keep his Europe ambition going. The club should contact him anyway.

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Maybe we will see him in the green and black of WU next year.

Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Have a soft spot for Tomi, but I had a soft spot for Bridgey, careful what you wish for eh.

But I guess I wouldn't be too upset to see him back in Red & Black, too much sentiment clouding my judgement there I'm afraid, as I suspect with others.