Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

33 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

Barbarouses as a Marquee??? The lad has never been signed as a marquee and now at the age of 29 were going to be the ones flog of a valuable slot? Under the cap or nothing. And only for a wing spot for mine.

I have been hearing this a lot too. Barbarouses would be good under cap but as a  Kiwi he counts as a foreigner so you waste a visa spot. And then Marquee wages that's probably the worst investment the club could do its double whamming of a wasted spot. Club should keep searching

13 minutes ago, FCB said:

Another thing CB does not make sense, especially not an import one. We currently have five who can play there. The money needs to be spent further up the park. 

Maybe. We have found a formula that lets us score goals but we are holier than a block of swiss cheese at the back. There needs to be some serious change back there. Maybe Aussie Pat will fix it but I'm not convinced he can stay injury free and we can't have a whole season riding on a single bloke.

Right now our problem is god damned midfielders. Riera could pass for another season with the players around him now. But we have a single defensive midfielder who is capable of getting in the ring with top 3 teams. 

I just dont want to hear about another bloody winger being signed.

12 minutes ago, MistahCampoy said:

Russ has already proven what it takes to be a squaddie for next season i think and MB is giving Kamau his last chances to impress to be able to get a jig elsewhere making it easier for him to move if he can put on some good performances?

It feels like there's a good player somewhere inside Kamau just trying to get out, I can't see it getting out at left back though - the guy loves running, let him run.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Another thing CB does not make sense, especially not an import one. We currently have five who can play there. The money needs to be spent further up the park. 

Currently we have

Ziegler - injury prone?

Hammil - as billy Bragg once described him he’s an accident waiting to happen 

Tass - a kid (a promising one though)

Elrich - ageing full back who shouldn’t play CB

?

id be happy with us going in for a decent centre back 

Barbarouses is a great player but it will be a big let down if he is the Marquee. This is the year with the new stadium that they have to get a real Marquee and splash the cash that they have save over the last 3 years.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Currently we have

Ziegler - injury prone?

Hammil - as billy Bragg once described him he’s an accident waiting to happen 

Tass - a kid (a promising one though)

Elrich - ageing full back who shouldn’t play CB

?

id be happy with us going in for a decent centre back 

Ziegler is not injury prone, just never overcame the meniskus op at the start of the season. 

Tass is too good to be a squaddie.

GG is the fifth. 

9 minutes ago, FCB said:

Ziegler is not injury prone, just never overcame the meniskus op at the start of the season. 

Tass is too good to be a squaddie.

GG is the fifth. 

GG has 3-4 games to show his worth. Last game he looked promising, Wellington game he looked like he won a play a week as an a League player competition out of a box of corn flakes 

3 hours ago, DeeDee said:

Barbarouses as a Marquee??? The lad has never been signed as a marquee and now at the age of 29 were going to be the ones flog of a valuable slot? Under the cap or nothing. And only for a wing spot for mine. 

He was a marquee at the Phoenix. Didn't end well for them

6 minutes ago, wswnick said:

He was a marquee at the Phoenix. Didn't end well for them

He’d be a better 2nd marquee than we have had in the last three seasons

first SOP season - Jumpei for accounting reasons 

2nd - Cejudo looked great for 3 games then disappeared 

3rd - nobody as we are waiting for next year 

16 minutes ago, ALBNIAACAB said:

And he won player of the season there aswell. who knows he might do wonders with us he a very successful player

people change theres always time to say sorry.

Professional footballers feet are what they use to get their income. When another player deliberately stomps on them the intention is clear.....1. to do damage....2...to take them out of the game.......no excuses as far as I'm concerned. He should of gotten more than 1 game.

Question: Would Barbarouses count as a foreigner? If yes, does this mean the Nux are only allowed to have 5 "Non Kiwis" in their squad or does this mean if they are part of the HAL, they are only alliwed 5 "Non Aussies"? 

9 hours ago, FCB said:

I'm not so sure, our backline has been quite calamitous at times and has cost us dearly. We have scored 38 goals which is pretty good but it's the 46 conceded, that's the problem. 

6 minutes ago, Jefski said:

Question: Would Barbarouses count as a foreigner? If yes, does this mean the Nux are only allowed to have 5 "Non Kiwis" in their squad or does this mean if they are part of the HAL, they are only alliwed 5 "Non Aussies"? 

Yes. Foreigner. Roux is also one for ccm and now victory.

Yes. 5 non kiwis i believe. Aussies count as visa - which is ridiculous given its one league. (Well thats my understanding)

9 hours ago, randy81 said:

Yes. Foreigner. Roux is also one for ccm and now victory.

Yes. 5 non kiwis i believe. Aussies count as visa - which is ridiculous given its one league. (Well thats my understanding)

Aussie’s don’t count as visa for them but kiwis do for us 

9 hours ago, randy81 said:

Aussies do not count as visa players for Wellington (it is the A-League, so it would be counter-intuitive to the domestic league to restrict any number of spots for our own players). Right now they have at least 10 non-Kiwi players if you include the Australians (Lowry, Burns, Williams Golec, Burgess) and overseas players (Taylor, Sheridan, Kurto, etc.)

My final thought for Barbarouses: I don't think that he is that much better than Yeboah or Duke. More accurately I don't think Barbarouses gives us anymore strength or attacking power than those two already have if you put him on the wing, and we have plenty of cover in the wings with youth and uncertainty with Roly. 

And as a striker I would prefer Reira over Barbarouses because he isn't as effective as a loan striker so really there is no benefit to have Barbarouses  in our squad. 

This contrast with the flirtations we have had with Troisi because he is an attacking Mid and our team has always been thin with attacking midfielders. Troisi does adds more to our squad. The money for Marquees needs to be spent in the Centre of the Park. We need a New CB, a DM, a striker and maybe an attacking mid if we do not retain Roly or ABJ. We don't want the same mistake as this season where we are over saturated with wingers and have no balance in the team structure.

12 hours ago, Jefski said:

I'm not so sure, our backline has been quite calamitous at times and has cost us dearly. We have scored 38 goals which is pretty good but it's the 46 conceded, that's the problem. 

That may be so, and there were reasons for that. When we are defending as a team we are okay. We did so successfully against Perth a few weeks ago with a very makeshift back line and five juniors on the pitch, and again against City with Mahazi and GG in the middle of the park, and Llorente and Kamau as fullbacks. Who would have thought?

What has been getting in the way is Ziegler, Risdon, Llorente not playing for various reasons. As a consequence Hamill and Elrich had to play every game, and they had no petrol left in the tank. It showed at times. On top of that, a couple of kids in front of them were trying to run midfield, and it was a big ask.

What was also getting in the way all season was us playing goof ball too much (Janjetovic!, Llorente). Without that and a fit Ziegler we'd be in the top half. But a commanding midfielder in front of defense and we are once again a different team.

18 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

He’d be a better 2nd marquee than we have had in the last three seasons

first SOP season - Jumpei for accounting reasons 

2nd - Cejudo looked great for 3 games then disappeared 

3rd - nobody as we are waiting for next year 

I agree. He is a top performer in the HAL, and would hit the floor running. Considering how imports performed up front he is worth marquee wages. He is the kind of guy who scores in big games, helps you win games and titles. Can't ask for more.

16 minutes ago, ALBNIAACAB said:

id happily take barb hes a good player and what we need he has experience which we lack and he scores goals '

yeboah could play upfront possibly:  

YEBOAH

BARB                         DUKE 

Forget about the concept of a starting 11, it will be irrelevant to MB. Instead, think a pool of players who can play up front.

11 minutes ago, mack said:

Kamau at 24 age could develop into a decent fullback. I would trust Babbel's instinct on this. If he becomes an RB/RW similar to Cole he could be a good long term investment as a squad player.

He made some ace overlapping runs in the last game

38 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

there's nothing to Kamau. he's more than likely never won a physical battle on the pitch. we've already got an attacking fullback that can't defend in Llorente.

and i dare say if the reason we aren't seeing Risdon is because he's signed elsewhere - maybe that's why we aren't seeing Jaush?

That's my biggest worry about Kamau at fullback. Imagine trying to defend against some of the bigger, more physical wide attackers like Duke or David Williams.

8 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

From what i've heard from someone whos parents work at the club, 4 out of the 5 foreigners have signed for next season. I was also told that they might be moving the foreign player count up a bit but they have to play a few from the bench?

Completely fine with the obvious 4 extending. Bye bye Raul

From the bench? That would be insanity. CSL teams have a mandatory youth utilisation requirement. They just sub them off after 5 minutes. Also trying to attract GOOD foreigners will be hard if they think their ability to start is taken out of their hands, especially with a very short season. Then you are left bring in **** foreigners and if thats the case you might as well give that spot to Aussies

1 minute ago, Upthehill said:

Completely fine with the obvious 4 extending. Bye bye Raul

From the bench? That would be insanity. CSL teams have a mandatory youth utilisation requirement. They just sub them off after 5 minutes. Also trying to attract GOOD foreigners will be hard if they think their ability to start is taken out of their hands, especially with a very short season. Then you are left bring in **** foreigners and if thats the case you might as well give that spot to Aussies

yeah although I think we may have signed 2 or 3 new foreign players, meaning possibly Roly has signed for Perth and Llorente obviously gone. I heard the players Babbel signed were players he knows well.

1 minute ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

yeah although I think we may have signed 2 or 3 new foreign players, meaning possibly Roly has signed for Perth and Llorente obviously gone. I heard the players Babbel signed were players he knows well.

Thats not adding up. We've heard nothing about a visa slot being added so im skeptical about that. We cant have 2 spots and sign 3. That would be assuming it was extended and that the other rumour was incorrect.

It makes sense to let Roly go. He doesn't fit anymore. A CDM playing LW that can't pass. My suspicion is we will retain Riera and the Germans then sign 2 more. I can't see a visa allocation going up without plenty of warning and a pretty decent cap increase.