Jump to content
mack

Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

not sure if i feel more sorry for Majok or the Mariners

Majok has improved under Babbel. His first touch is still terrible. There are better options for us. Good luck to him if he gets a pay rise.

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bellby said:

You do understand the players have families to support, bills to pay, mortgages etc.? Why would they just walk away from a contract without any compensation?

At the end of the day whether Babbel rates them or not, the club signed these players to long term contracts. We can't demand loyalty from players & then in the same breath push others with a contract out the door.  

Honour the contracts or find a mutual agreement on a payout figure.

As I said, it depends if the players want to play football elsewhere (like Tongyk) or sit in the stands for 1, 2, or 3 years.

Contracts need to be honoured, I agree, it's not the players or MBs fault that these guys were signed as long as they have. And yes, I am familiar with the financial pressures of living in Sydney. 

Further up you suggested that wsw have signed two new goal keepers. If true then we would be heading into the next season with four goalkeepers, plus Suman. I can't see that happening. 

No more Borda-esque goofballers playing for wsw. No more BS. No more mediocrity. Enough is enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, FCB said:

No more Borda-esque goofballers playing for wsw. No more BS. No more mediocrity. Enough is enough. 

:golecapproves:

 

(the sentiment in the pic not the player in the pic)

Share this post


Link to post

I really can't see Janjetovic or Fitzgerald leaving unless we give them large payouts.

Vedran is already 31 and doesn't give a ****. JT gave him a stupidly long lucrative contract. He might be content to simply cruise on the bench until 2022.

Nizic will probably say "I'm not going anywhere unless you give me a full payout and find a new club for me."

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, wswtragic said:

ABJ excites and frustrates in pretty much equal measure. Wherever he plays he is likely to single-handedly win the odd game, and then go missing completely through injury or just plain inconsistency. His style doesn't gel with Riera because Riera is a hold-up type of forward rather than one who gets into clear space. Duke is pretty much the only forward we have at the moment who consistently breaks his tag.

I think Babbel will look for something much different in the final third next season.

Has he singlehandedly won any game for us?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bellby said:

You do understand the players have families to support, bills to pay, mortgages etc.? Why would they just walk away from a contract without any compensation?

This happens all over the world, not just in Australia. I see two issues that make it so popular in Australia:

(1) The salary cap & the paying out a players contract count under the cap. If there was no cap there would be no issues in paying players contracts out.

(2) There is no transfer fees, if a player wants to go to another club there is no mechanism to facilitate this transfer. The only way is to go for “mutual termination” & then sign for another club.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, WSWFF said:

They may prefer to take the gamble that Babbel will be axed before Christmas and a decent manager appointed. I'd rather stay than take a 50% cut to play for mariners.

His not going anywhere so they will have a decision to make

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Davo said:

So another massive clean out and another wait until round 15 for the team to "gel". Then because we didn't get going until mid season we won't win anything so they season will be a failure and we'll need another clean out.

The WSW cycle continues...

The dilemma is do you keep some of our current “core” for the sake of consistency,  or do you accept that they aren’t good enough and get rid risking that you lose half a season on “rebuild”

for this season not be a total and complete waste of time I suspect we need to keep some of the squad around, but balance that with getting rid of some to get quality in

Other than the Jan signings and the kids there is very few players that are good enough

my $0.02 worth 

Definitely  Keep 

Baccus

Ziegler 

Yeboah

Duke

Def Keep for future

russel and  

Grozos

Maybe for the sake of squad consistency but not regular starter 

Mahazi

Elrich

Majok

O’Doherty 

May at a push Hammil  

Maybe keep Reira plus one of Roly or ABJ 

That gives us between 4-6 starting players

 

we don’t have core that’s the problem 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Hamill is worth keeping as a squaddie just for the loyalty concessions outside cap

101 games and still 

billy Bragg isn’t often wrong 

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

Was told by a source last week that ABJ was going to WU. The same source claims Roly is going to Melb City.

Considering that was this time last week before it even came up in the rumour mill, I’d say it’s pretty a good chance the roly rumor is true too

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

This article was posted by goal an hour ago and is unavailable. It was about Baumjohann talking about Ribery and coming to the A-League. I wonder why they took it down, maybe it had something in it which wasn't meant to get out???

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/baumjohann-why-franck-ribery-would-come-to-the-a-league/74s5nt5c1zdp1c9r9f6tpuyfm

Sounds like it's derived from this interview he did with transfermarkt 

https://www.transfermarkt.de/sydney-profi-baumjohann-bdquo-hier-konnte-ribery-sein-gold-steak-in-ruhe-essen-ldquo-/amp/news/333104?__twitter_impression=true

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

This article was posted by goal an hour ago and is unavailable. It was about Baumjohann talking about Ribery and coming to the A-League. I wonder why they took it down, maybe it had something in it which wasn't meant to get out???

https://www.goal.com/en-au/news/baumjohann-why-franck-ribery-would-come-to-the-a-league/74s5nt5c1zdp1c9r9f6tpuyfm

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/ribery-could-live-in-peace-in-australia-523536?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=insidesport_autopost

It's this article. Maybe Goal copied it without permission so had to take it down

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, mack said:

I really can't see Janjetovic or Fitzgerald leaving unless we give them large payouts.

Vedran is already 31 and doesn't give a ****. JT gave him a stupidly long lucrative contract. He might be content to simply cruise on the bench until 2022.

Nizic will probably say "I'm not going anywhere unless you give me a full payout and find a new club for me."

If Vedran gets a payout, does that go against the cap? I think it does and it’s stupid if that’s the case.

Share this post


Link to post

If the club just sacks a player the whole wage counts under the cap (although I believe it reduces in some form, no-one has really done this ever though).

Mutual termination does not. Regardless of any payout component.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, mack said:

If the club just sacks a player the whole wage counts under the cap (although I believe it reduces in some form, no-one has really done this ever though).

Mutual termination does not. Regardless of any payout component.

Tbh I would sign a new keeper and put Vedran onto a "special" training regime with extremely tough KPI's and not give him game time until he achieves or exceeds those marks. Make him train his arse off. He'll either improve or **** off. Hopefully the latter..

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The dilemma is do you keep some of our current “core” for the sake of consistency,  or do you accept that they aren’t good enough and get rid risking that you lose half a season on “rebuild”

for this season not be a total and complete waste of time I suspect we need to keep some of the squad around, but balance that with getting rid of some to get quality in

Other than the Jan signings and the kids there is very few players that are good enough

my $0.02 worth 

Definitely  Keep 

Baccus

Ziegler 

Yeboah

Duke

Def Keep for future

russel and  

Grozos

Maybe for the sake of squad consistency but not regular starter 

Mahazi

Elrich

Majok

O’Doherty 

May at a push Hammil  

Maybe keep Reira plus one of Roly or ABJ 

That gives us between 4-6 starting players

 

we don’t have core that’s the problem 

We have a core without a spine :-). But we are not that far off. Despite all the shortcomings and problems we've had with squad, injuries, VAR and refs: Ziegler's pre season knee injury and Janjetovic's blunders alone had the power to break our season.

After S4 we lost nine players who played in the semi and GF, or sat on the bench in those games. NTS, Bridgey, Jamo all walking out of the door in the same transfer window, plus replacing three good imports with lesser players -  we are yet to recover from that blood letting.

In contrast, if after this season we are left with the senior players Ziegler, Hamill, Elrich, Kamau, Duke, Yeboah, plus the youngsters Baccus, JoD, Tass, Russell, Grozos, Suman, that's a pool of players that you can field. Not all of them at once, but they are "good enough" for the HAL.

Key is to getting the imports right. Add Georgievski (if it is true), another capable senior local player, maybe a Mahazi, and we'll be okay.

 

 

 

Edited by FCB

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Can't we just sign Shinji back for the new stadium year and be done with it.

Yep....Even if he was wearing two moon boots Shinji would still leave half our suad dead for skill and commmitment.

Share this post


Link to post

My translation of a Treejack interview from the German version of Transfermarkt, April 7th.

Transfermarkt: "Does that mean that you will leave Sydney once your contract has expired?"

Baumjohann: "I wouldn't say that. My contract is still valid. My agent will soon come to Australia, and then we'll discuss my future. I could well imagine to stay in Australia, but I am always open for other opportunities. These things will probably only gather real momentum once the season is over."

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

Can't we just sign Shinji back for the new stadium year and be done with it.

When i go to Japan later this year i will try and go see one of his games, though his only played 2 games all season off the bench but ill send him our love if i get the chance to have a chat with him and tell him his sorely missed! 39 and still playing, his a beast..

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, FCB said:

We have a core without a spine :-). But we are not that far off. Despite all the shortcomings and problems we've had with squad, injuries, VAR and refs: Ziegler's pre season knee injury and Janjetovic's blunders alone had the power to break our season.

After S4 we lost nine players who played in the semi and GF, or sat on the bench in those games. NTS, Bridgey, Jamo all walking out of the door in the same transfer window, plus replacing three good imports with lesser players -  we are yet to recover from that blood letting.

In contrast, if after this season we are left with the senior players Ziegler, Hamill, Elrich, Kamau, Duke, Yeboah, plus the youngsters Baccus, JoD, Tass, Russell, Grozos, Suman, that's a pool of players that you can field. Not all of them at once, but they are "good enough" for the HAL.

Key is to getting the imports right. Add Georgievski (if it is true), another capable senior local player, maybe a Mahazi, and we'll be okay.

 

 

 

Only 3 of those senior players should start next year and Id only keep 5 of them 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Only 3 of those senior players should start next year and Id only keep 5 of them 

Well, this is not Everton. I refer you to Baumjohann's assessment of the HAL:

"The two best clubs maybe could compete at the top of BL2, the rest has lower BL2 quality. In each club there are one, two players who could play in the BL. Five to six professionals would play a good role in BL2. The rest is more at lower BL2 or BL2 level."

The six or seven quality players he is referring to are the imports, plus the occasional local player. We have Duke, Ziegler, Yeboah, and maybe Baccus. Add four good imports to that, and we are where we are meant to be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, FCB said:

Well, this is not Everton. I refer you to Baumjohann's assessment of the HAL:

"The two best clubs maybe could compete at the top of BL2, the rest has lower BL2 quality. In each club there are one, two players who could play in the BL. Five to six professionals would play a good role in BL2. The rest is more at lower BL2 or BL2 level."

The six or seven quality players he is referring to are the imports, plus the occasional local player. We have Duke, Ziegler, Yeboah, and maybe Baccus. Add four good imports to that, and we are where we are meant to be.

 

4 out of our back 5 need replacing 

We also need a DM a number 10 and probably a striker 

its a full rebuild season again next year 

Yes we will look very different adding 4 new players, (we will have 4 out of the 6 we need) but that’s the point once again we are signing a new core 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

4 out of our back 5 need replacing 

We also need a DM a number 10 and probably a striker 

its a full rebuild season again next year 

Yes we will look very different adding 4 new players, (we will have 4 out of the 6 we need) but that’s the point once again we are signing a new core 

Any news on Jaushua's status mate?

BTW has anyone ever searched 'Jaushua' on Google?  It is amazing.  Every single hit is on Jaushua Sotirio!  Is he the only one in the world?

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

4 out of our back 5 need replacing 

We also need a DM a number 10 and probably a striker 

its a full rebuild season again next year 

 

Nuh, I don't agree.

If the rumour of the Spanish CB is true then MB wants to strengthen the centre of defence. Ziegler will feel like a new signing. A Kirchhoff or similar as DM, Treejack or his replacement as AM, Riera or his replacement as No 9. Georgevski or similar at the back, plus another domestic or import winger (depends on the ziegler passport situation, number of import allowed in the new season, or if the 4, 6, 10 or 9 is going to be filled with Aussie players). 

That'll be the measure of it, I'd say. We can expect that the squad will have been assembled for the leeds game. Any communication problems will be ironed out in pre season. 

Edited by FCB

Share this post


Link to post

The club has barely negotiated with any players coming off contract. Their agents are arriving in April or May for those negotiations. The new HAL working model, number of VISAs, Salary Cap etc are all up in the air. That needs to be sorted ASAP so we (and other clubs) can sort out their squads.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that MB wanted his squad finalised before the Leeds game.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Erebus said:

The club has barely negotiated with any players coming off contract. Their agents are arriving in April or May for those negotiations. The new HAL working model, number of VISAs, Salary Cap etc are all up in the air. That needs to be sorted ASAP so we (and other clubs) can sort out their squads.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here) that MB wanted his squad finalised before the Leeds game.

I have a foreboding feeling that the implementation of the new system will be a shambles and HAL clubs will lose out on a lot of potential foreign player signings.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...