mack

Squad Development 2018/19 Part 2

Oriol Riera, Josh Risdon, Roly Bonevacia, Raul Llorente, Alex Baumjohann, Jaushua Sotirio, Abraham Majok, Marc Tokich, Rashid Mahazi, John Roberts and Giancarlo Gallifuoco have all completed their contracts and departed the club today.

The only player to survive their end of contract this season was Hamill.

Happy with that. Get rid of Janjetovic and a couple of others and we're doing OK.

The clear out :good:

I was expecting more to be honest, only 11? I guess a few more to come under the #mutualterminationwindow banner

11 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

glad to have a western boy at home 

but it’s underwhelming signing

Exactly my sentiment & reminds me of Elrich. I just hope he doesn’t repeat the season that Elrich has, playing an out of form & player struggling with fitness which results in an under whelming season with so many errors & bad games.

I can’t imagine both elrich & geogo will be starting. Hopefully we see Russell continue to progress, improve & can be our starting player. So many players at this age regress (look at the examples in our club) & just hope he can make the step up.

1 hour ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

Thomas is also a westie isn't he?

This is what I love, bring them home. Bring a player that wants to play for the club & wears the shirt with pride :good:

9 minutes ago, Carns said:

Oriol Riera, Josh Risdon, Roly Bonevacia, Raul Llorente, Alex Baumjohann, Jaushua Sotirio, Abraham Majok, Marc Tokich, Rashid Mahazi, John Roberts and Giancarlo Gallifuoco have all completed their contracts and departed the club today.

Official post from the club: https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/wanderers-confirm-player-departures-0

The only one that surprised me was GG's. He was making out on twitter that he'll continue on after next season.

I am overcome by a feeling of anxiety now....gotta have faith I guess!

Hamill is very lucky. He's played 42 games in the last two years of failure.

23 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

The only one that surprised me was GG's. He was making out on twitter that he'll continue on after next season.

The rumour was that he turned down an offer from the club, the club makes all these decision at end of season interviews after the awards night.

23 minutes ago, wswnick said:

These are the easy outs. Now for the mutual terminations of Nizic and Fitzgerald

I’d imagine there will be a few more that have been put in the “you are welcome to look for another club” basket

5 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Hamill 3 year extension incoming

Will take up the loyalty portion of the salary cap. Essentially a club captain, back up center back squaddie player for free 

1 minute ago, mack said:

Hamill is very lucky. He's played 42 games in the last two years of failure.

The only guy that actually looked like he gave a **** when we lost a game. Could do with more players like him around the club.

Looks like the  "self driven" players, as MB put it, are staying.

11 + Bridgey retiring + Snake, Fitzy, Nizic = 15.

Hamill (together with Elrich and Kamau) has been carrying the can this season, he deserves a contract extension.

Add a GK, a CB to the existing seven defenders, 2 midfielders (plus 1 injury replacement for JoD) to Baccus, add an AM, a winger to the existing three, and a CF.  We are eight signings away from the squad against Leeds. Four imports, four local players.

According to FIFA, the top goalkeepers in the league are:

L Thomas - MVC - 70

J Young - BRI - 69

F Kurto - WPX - 69

Long time reader, first time poster!

Had an interesting chat with Vedran at a club function last night. Basically said he has 3 years remaining on his contract and wasn't looking to go anywhere. Wasn't sure what the coaches plans were for the upcoming season but was pretty confident he was staying.

Also, not sure if anyone knows this (he mentioned that the club kept it quiet) but he has been playing since round 13 with a tear to his rotator cuff which may require surgery in the next week or so depending on how it heals, he was getting injections prior to each match. The goal he conceded against Adam Taggart did more damage apparently....maybe would have been best if he sat it out and got it fixed based on the last few months of the season....

2 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Long time reader, first time poster!

Had an interesting chat with Vedran at a club function last night. Basically said he has 3 years remaining on his contract and wasn't looking to go anywhere. Wasn't sure what the coaches plans were for the upcoming season but was pretty confident he was staying.

Also, not sure if anyone knows this (he mentioned that the club kept it quiet) but he has been playing since round 13 with a tear to his rotator cuff which may require surgery in the next week or so depending on how it heals, he was getting injections prior to each match. The goal he conceded against Adam Taggart did more damage apparently....maybe would have been best if he sat it out and got it fixed based on the last few months of the season....

A few of those injections turned into brain explosions so perhaps his shoulder is too close to his head.  His errors against Sydney and Brisbane had nothing to do with a dodgy shoulder.  He was awful this season injury or no injury hope he gets sorted in the off season cos if not we are stuck with a dud for 2-3 more seasons and he will get splinters in his ass from bench sitting.

4 minutes ago, octa9ona11 said:

Is it weird that after giving him so much criticism, Sotirios departure hit me in the feels a bit? Probably our longest serving academy product.

Sotirio actually played OK his last few games. I'll choose to remember him that way!

When adding Tongyik and Scott to the list - the remnants of both Popa and Gombau are almost complete gone (or will be once the matters of Janjetovic and Fitzgerald are sorted).

19 minutes ago, octa9ona11 said:

Is it weird that after giving him so much criticism, Sotirios departure hit me in the feels a bit? Probably our longest serving academy product.

I wouldn't be holding him up as a good example of our Academy production line !!

24 minutes ago, octa9ona11 said:

He was an easy target, was always a fan on him despite his limitations.

20 minutes ago, scarcev said:

A few of those injections turned into brain explosions so perhaps his shoulder is too close to his head.  His errors against Sydney and Brisbane had nothing to do with a dodgy shoulder.  He was awful this season injury or no injury hope he gets sorted in the off season cos if not we are stuck with a dud for 2-3 more seasons and he will get splinters in his ass from bench sitting.

Couldn’t agree more, pining those mistakes on his shoulder it’s a stretch. To be honest, I’d be looking elsewhere as to the cause of his errors.

13 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

glad to have a western boy at home 

but it’s underwhelming signing

victory signed storm roux who was lighting it up for nix to replace him 

now we are signing him up after an average season for another team who didn’t make the 6, can Babbel make him better perhaps but if he’s lined up to start I am not over impressed 

but as always good luck and support any wanderer! 

Hopefully he can find his best football in red and black

roux played for ccm

Those vids from departing players were ace. Sometimes you forget they are actual human beings, not just the faaarrrker that missed the shot on open goal, or the douchecanoe who dives too early for a save.

Having said that I am all for having replacement human beings that aren't faaarrrkers that missed the shot on open goal, or douchecanoes who dive too early for a save.

Onwards

Exciting to be expecting 5 new visas, probably won't see most of them till after June though

38 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Exciting to be expecting 5 new visas, probably won't see most of them till after June though

You can expect an almost full squad against Leeds. MB means business, and the club backs him.

27 minutes ago, FCB said:

You can expect an almost full squad against Leeds. MB means business, and the club backs him.

That is fine, but where are we going to find 15 quality affordable players?  Acknowledging something needs to be done, but many of us here have been critical of the continuing cycle of annual squad purges.  If Babbel fails next year and a new manager comes in, expect deja vu all over again.