Wellington Steal 3 Points Late On

Just now, sonar said:

I agree about giving the youngs guys more time but I'm guessing Babbel has to weigh up throwing young inexperienced players into a game against the league leaders where a 5 or 6 goal thrashing may well do more harm than good. Injuries may well force his hand though. It's going to be interesting 2nd half to the season in many ways.

Agree. Need to balance the potential thrashings and blooding. Having the youth smashed weekly might do more harm than good as well.

1 hour ago, lloydy136 said:

was more responding in my post to the perception that ABJ is 'lazy and doesn't create much' than the comparison to roly.

look at the victory game as an example - from my memory ABJ created 3 very clear chances - pinpoint cross to Riera, corner on Ziegler's head at back post and through ball for fitzy to round keeper - that is as well as winning and scoring the pen.

He has had a lot of games like this (as the stat I quoted backs up). I'm not sure what people are wanting him to do that he isn't doing - he is putting chances on a plate for our front 3 and they aren't taking them.

That's what I mean by asking what they consider a chance. I'm genuinely curious. 

I thought the Wellington game was interesting - seeing Roly play 10 after a lay off. Our attack looked dangerous. I think it helped that Riera was replaced with someone more mobile too. 

I just find the different styles of players interesting, not having a go. 

BTW when I say BJ is 'lazy' I mean in back play, he doesn't work to offer himself as an option. 

Concur with Matty above we seemed a little more dynamic with roly at 10 and Yeboah up top 

Reira and Abj strengths are not their mobility. 

In essence the conversation you guys have taken this is a really good one highlighting some lack of balance and cohesion in the squad. The likes of sotiro, roly (the wsw one) and kamau don’t have the technical skill to retain possession to get the best of our marquees. 

Abj can realse a player but Reira isn’t the player to be on the end of counters unless they can put the ball and his head and they have shown they can’t. 

I still don’t understand how babbel wants to play still if seems to be possession based but to be honest the nix are the template or how to fix a broken squad and you can refer back to season 1 for us 

when you are not great you make sure you are water tight at the back and we DO NOT have a A-League standard LB and I’m not convinced any of our CB’s are great. Ziegler might be better if he had a reliable partner. 

And our goalie save for a remarkable turnaround has totally lost form. 

Babbel in his press conference knows it’s hard to turn this **** around because at any moment we could concede a goal because we have 4 of our back 5 who are not mentally ready for 90 mins. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Concur with Matty above we seemed a little more dynamic with roly at 10 and Yeboah up top 

Reira and Abj strengths are not their mobility. 

In essence the conversation you guys have taken this is a really good one highlighting some lack of balance and cohesion in the squad. The likes of sotiro, roly (the wsw one) and kamau don’t have the technical skill to retain possession to get the best of our marquees. 

Abj can realse a player but Reira isn’t the player to be on the end of counters unless they can put the ball and his head and they have shown they can’t. 

I still don’t understand how babbel wants to play still if seems to be possession based but to be honest the nix are the template or how to fix a broken squad and you can refer back to season 1 for us 

when you are not great you make sure you are water tight at the back and we DO NOT have a A-League standard LB and I’m not convinced any of our CB’s are great. Ziegler might be better if he had a reliable partner. 

And our goalie save for a remarkable turnaround has totally lost form. 

Babbel in his press conference knows it’s hard to turn this **** around because at any moment we could concede a goal because we have 4 of our back 5 who are not mentally ready for 90 mins. 

Going forward we have actually looked best when both Roly and ABJ play central. With Roly behind abj we did this at the end of the victory game.

Roly ain’t a 10 nor is he a winger

The problem with this is Rolys “sloppiness” both with ball and in defence

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Going forward we have actually looked best when both Roly and ABJ play central. With Roly behind abj we did this at the end of the victory game.

Roly ain’t a 10 nor is he a winger

The problem with this is Rolys “sloppiness” both with ball and in defence

Exhibit A all the fouls that Roly conceded in the second half #sloppy

8 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

was more responding in my post to the perception that ABJ is 'lazy and doesn't create much' than the comparison to roly.

look at the victory game as an example - from my memory ABJ created 3 very clear chances - pinpoint cross to Riera, corner on Ziegler's head at back post and through ball for fitzy to round keeper - that is as well as winning and scoring the pen.

He has had a lot of games like this (as the stat I quoted backs up). I'm not sure what people are wanting him to do that he isn't doing - he is putting chances on a plate for our front 3 and they aren't taking them.

And don't forget the ball to Majok which was deemed offside.

Yes we were a lot more mobile with Yeboah, Roly, Fitzgerald and Kamau as the front four but you can’t cross into Yeboah 

Itd be interesting to see how we played if we replaced Yeboah with Riera - that way, we wouldn’t have to dribble around and keep passing it, we could get it to the wing and cross as well 

Too many players getting knocked off the ball, 3-4 need a good pie , chips and a couple of custard tarts, and put on 5-6 kgs.

As i've mentioned before a good defense starts with a loud ( gobby) keeper, that marshals his troupes. Happy with Yeboahs first up performance.

22 hours ago, Howie said:

Too many players getting knocked off the ball, 3-4 need a good pie , chips and a couple of custard tarts, and put on 5-6 kgs.

As i've mentioned before a good defense starts with a loud ( gobby) keeper, that marshals his troupes. Happy with Yeboahs first up performance.

I remember watching Nizic during first few minutes of the Darwin FFA Cup game.  He was loud and gobby.  Stopped pretty quickly though.

Last week watching Russell, Yeboah and the other young fellas play actually got my heart racing (In a good way - as opposed to a jumping up, spilling my beer, screaming at the TV and nearly having a heart attack way) for the first time in ages. Would love to see Suman get another chance soon too.