Sign in to follow this  
mack

Australian National Teams Thread 5: The Next Generation

14 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Mack was on fire on Twitter with that wondrous hashtag #ArnieOut.

3-0 win.

Silly Thread title Mack!

Needs to be changed! :pardon:

U16 Joeys boys are in vietnam for the Qualifiers for the 2020 Championship.

Grouped with Vietnam, Timor-Leste, Mongolia and Macau

Game 1- 16 Sep v Mongolia 

Game 2 - 18 Sep v Macau

Game 3 - 20 Sep v Timor-Leste 

Game 4 - 22 Sep v Vietnam

Woo Hoo!

A positive new Thread Title!

Nice work Mack! :good:

On 11/09/2019 at 11:06 AM, matty said:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/arnold-questions-plan-for-extra-visa-spot-for-a-league-clubs

I love it when Arnie complains about the lack of youngsters being played in the aleague. 

ECDLIx1U8AA15ZA?format=jpg&name=900x900

For those of you who are old enough to remember him, and for those who have never heard of his work, here's some stories about 'Der Fuhrer' of our disastrous 1982 World Cup campaign, Rudi Gutendorf, who has passed away.

EEfpK0dU8AA1K_c?format=jpg&name=large

Here's Rudi back in 1978 catching up with (from left) Ken Wilson, Johnny Warren (shaking hands), Manfred Schaefer & Ray Richards.

BTW how good is that green & gold shirt!

EEfqS26U8AAqgoH?format=png&name=900x900

Johnny Warren here argues that Rudi was the right man for the job.

After some dodgy pre-qualifying games & a bit of argy-bargy behind the scenes and in the media our first qualifier for 1982 was against NZ away. It didn't go to plan.

EEft9goVAAE5agU?format=jpg&name=medium

Then..

EEfulMvUcAAQbZY?format=jpg&name=large

Gutnedorf was probably the most divisive gaffer the Socceroos have had, even more so than Arnie, Ange, Holger or Pim. However he left his mark on sokkah down under & was a roving servant for the game around the world.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

3 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

ECDLIx1U8AA15ZA?format=jpg&name=900x900

You got it. He was happy to exclude youngsters almost entirely to win stuff with ESFC, now he's crying foul. Transparent hypocrite. 

On 14/09/2019 at 3:14 PM, Paul01 said:

U16 Joeys boys are in vietnam for the Qualifiers for the 2020 Championship.

Grouped with Vietnam, Timor-Leste, Mongolia and Macau

Game 1- 16 Sep v Mongolia 

Game 2 - 18 Sep v Macau

Game 3 - 20 Sep v Timor-Leste 

Game 4 - 22 Sep v Vietnam

Joeys just won 2-1 over Mongolia

7 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Joeys just won 2-1 over Mongolia

No goals by the Joeys.

2 own goals

The number 10 for Australia, Olivuera, was given a deserved yellow card for kicking the ball award after he called offside.

The number 9 for Australia should have been sent off for a studs up tackle to the body of the Mongolian GK in the last minute of play. Instead got a yellow.

On a more positive note tonight, Joeys beat Macau 3-0 In the AFC Asian Cup qualifier tonight.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

On a more positive note tonight, Joeys beat Macau 3-0 In the AFC Asian Cup qualifier tonight.

However,  Vietnam smashed Mongolia 7-0 and top the group. Wiki says 1 own goals so only 2 goals scored.

Next games against Timor-Leste, who lost 0-2 to Vietnam and beat Macau 6-1, and Vietnam

Australia u16s up 1-0 Over Timor-Leste with a goal in added time.

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Australia u16s up 1-0 Over Timor-Leste with a goal in added time.

Finished 1-0

Currently sitting 6th on the second place table because of goal difference. 

They play top of the table Vietnam and must win or perhaps draw to qualify for the final tournament.

This the squad the Smurfs boasted that they dominated.

7 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Australia beats Vietnam 2-1 to finish top so qualifies for the afc Asian Cup

:clapping: Thanks for keeping us updated, Paul!

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

:clapping: Thanks for keeping us updated, Paul!

Your welcome

U16 Asian Cup to be held in Bahrain in 2020.

Qualified teams

West Asia: Bahrain (H), Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Yemen, UAE, India

East Asia: China PR, Indonesia, Japan Australia, Korea DPR,  Korea Republic 

Only suspension for tournement for the Australian team was to one of the Smurf contingent who didn't figure in major win 2-1 over Vietnam 

In the end it looks like we had 4 players in the team all of featured either starting or off the bench. We can be proud of them.

U19 Men's AFC Asian Cup starts in October. Australia plays its first game on the 6th Nov so we are potentially affected from Rd 4 against Brisbane Roar.

First game against Laos, next games against Macau and Chinese Taipei. 

The boys should progress to the knockout stage.

Posted (edited)

U19 National team (Young Socceroos) currently playing Newcastle Jets

Hard to read the team sheet but I can just make out Fabian Monge and Thomas Aquilina as starters.

Poor guys are down 0-4 To the jets after 14 minutes.

Hoffman Hatrick with 2 crosses off the Nth Ireland left back according to jets Twitter.

Edited by Paul01
Added info

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

U19 National team (Young Socceroos) currently playing Newcastle Jets

Hard to read the team sheet but I can just make out Fabian Monge and Thomas Aquilina as starters.

Poor guys are down 0-4 To the jets after 14 minutes.

Hoffman Hatrick with 2 crosses off the Nth Ireland left back according to jets Twitter.

They ended up losing 2-8 with all goals scored in the first half.

There are a lot of serious things implied by that ABC article although I can't get past the caption for the photo of the stadium.

"Despite its name, the Olympic Stadium in Phnom Penh has never hosted an Olympic Games."

15 hours ago, Paul01 said:

4 Olyroos facing sanction for behaviour in Cambodia including McGree

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-09/olyroos-riley-mcgree-show-cause-cambodia/11577578

Just saw the Angry One's press conference snippet on the Olyroos.

He was actually angry for real. I beginning to think that all 4 will be stood down from National Team duty.

The cultural problem looks like a Heartle$$ culture problem since McGree was there on loan along with Wales and Atkinson.

Is it just me or does the current Socceroos campaign for 2022 feel like drinking stale, flat beer to others as well?

I'm not talking about the quality of our opposition or the fact that we are in the early stages of qualifying, where the challenge is more about formulating a squad that wins well than winning itself.

It's more about the roster itself, the coach and the overall machinery of the national team. The current roster is workmanlike at best and now it also seems that you have more chance of wearing a NT shirt if you come from somewhere north of Hadrian's Wall than west of Granville El Jannahs. The marketing of the Socceroos seems tired & equally as stultifying are the dicta issued by Arnie. Then, assuming we are successful in our campaign we get to go to Qatar where we all know that the venue was secured through corruption and it has the football culture of Graham Cornes' backyard.

Like most of us I'm eager to see the Socceroos play well and win as many games as possible. Yet right now it's hard to muster much enthusiasm for the whole enterprise.

A 2010 qualifier style campaign where we only lost 2 games, both in the 3rd round and one after we'd already qualified, would be good right about now. We don't have Kennedy & Cahill though.

46 minutes ago, mack said:

A 2010 qualifier style campaign where we only lost 2 games, both in the 3rd round and one after we'd already qualified, would be good right about now. We don't have Kennedy & Cahill though.

3cvacc.jpg

Its bit more of a pessimistic look. Without Cahill and to a small degree Jedinak the NT lost the star power it use to have. But I think the biggest thing is the two best players we have are Rogic and Mooy but they both are possibly the most quietest of the team and its hard to market your team when you best players are quiet as they are. They aren't as vocal  as your Kewels, Schwarzers or Lucas Neils.

I think we also realise the squad we currently have if you take Rogic and Mooy out of the equation the team is very average. I don't add Matt Ryan  because Mitch Langerak is number 2 and you have enough faith in those two in goals for the NT. But I mean you take those two out from being according to Arnold the number 3 is Redmayne you start to look at the squad with pessimism instead of optimism. Having Arnold as well doesn't help because he is so divisive in the local game.

Asian opposition is also starting to get smarter namely China with Elkeson naturalised with a few other English-Chinese players as well to strengthen their national team and they are following a trend Japan had 20 years ago. 

My point is that for the first time in 14 years we face the very real possibility of missing out on the World Cup and its almost sub-consciously we are all preparing for it.

My worry is where the goals are going to come from. I looked at the current squad and the 20 outfield players have a combined total of 40 international goals, with more than a quarter of them scored by Matt Leckie. Cahill had 50 on his own.

Just arrived at our hotel in Canberra. 

One notable observation on the trip down was the number plate

NEPAL1

Maybe up to 8,000 Nepalese supporters, I read somewhere.

5,000 Away tickets quickly sold in the first round of sales, apparently.

Hope they can inject some atmosphere.

Asking too much for Socceroos supporters to do so.... unfortunately.

Enjoy Ed!

:):)