Wanderers Bombed By Newcastle Jets

2 hours ago, WestSyd said:

One other thing that saddens me is the outfits. The fact that now we have resorted to wearing red socks. Can we please go back to the original red and black hoops, white shorts and black socks (which in the true sense is a football kit).

The red and black blur I am seeing with our outfits in the last few years is just horrid on the eye. Most Man Utd, Flamengo or AC Milan supporters while tell you that the white shorts are the perfect balance with the strong presence of red and black that you get on the jersey and socks. Seems like the opposition don't like us playing with the white shorts either.

P.S - yes I am a  Man Utd supporter.

100 % agree , for years we requested black shorts in .... we get black shorts & everything turns to sh.t 

i say bring back white shorts & change the colour of goal nets while we’re at it .

5 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

@wendybr

its been result free up until u11’s for a good 8 years at least but I would suspect longer 

gunners jnr started in 2010 and it was like that then 

Thanks GW.

And parents feel....what ….about that??

I guess it would eliminate hysterical parents screaming on the sidelines...which was the worst feature of games I can recall.

27 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I guess it would eliminate hysterical parents screaming on the sidelines...

Ahhhmm, no it didn't, unfortunately.

Young Wanderboy started in Under 6's in 2008. The hysterical parents were evident then (my first taste of it), and they still reign to this day. 

1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

Ahhhmm, no it didn't, unfortunately.

Young Wanderboy started in Under 6's in 2008. The hysterical parents were evident then (my first taste of it), and they still reign to this day. 

Oh...that's a shame. :unsure:

40 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Thanks GW.

And parents feel....what ….about that??

I guess it would eliminate hysterical parents screaming on the sidelines...which was the worst feature of games I can recall.

38 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

They keep score

And still scream, but other initiatives have reduced that.

2 seasons back, my grandson played u8s. After their last match the other team, led by the coach, celebrated being undefeated for the season (winning every match?), including announcing total goals scored and conceded for the season.

1 minute ago, Edinburgh said:

2 seasons back, my grandson played u8s. After their last match the other team, led by the coach, celebrated being undefeated for the season (winning every match?), including announcing total goals scored and conceded for the season.

So the winners no doubt keep tally...and those on the less successful side are left to focus more on having fun? building skills...at least in theory?

Yeah, in theory, little jimmy isn't on the bench every week because he's a liability, and gets to play.

Defences don't have to hoof it out all the time but can build skills playing out. Oops! didn't work. That's okay, try again.

Kids can get a chance to play different positions, because coach isn't trying to get a result. So speedy little gary (gary?? don't ask me) doesn't monopolise the wing or whatever, and gets to try and find some passes through the middle, or even gets to have a crack at tackling attackers.

And kids can take risks in their play without worrying that they'll have let everyone down and coach is going to be livid.

In theory....

Exactly Ed! 

A lot of people are keeping tabs anyway 

@wendybr and no has done little to stop parent rage it’s still around but it would be hypocritical of me to say anything when I’ve been known to scream like a crazy man and once threw a wattle bottle on the ground in disgust haha

most parents who are football invested - ie not just there for their kid to have excercise and social aspect I would say disagree with the no results past under 8’s most if not all say 5, 6 and 7 fair enough

but as per my earlier point came about age 8 we are testing kids against each other academically  so if we do this in school then I don’t see why we can’t more competieitve in sport, my daughter plays netball and she is 8 she’s isn’t scarred from losing 

the irony of this is in school gala day sport they say keep schools I remember gunner jnr being selected as a 7 years to play for the school soccer team probably a year or two early and they did have results scored on the day and there is numerous round robin comps

So as with most things in our society consistency is nowhere  

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

So the winners no doubt keep tally...and those on the less successful side are left to focus more on having fun? building skills...at least in theory?

I'm not close enough to what happens each week. But I strongly suspect that almost every player, parent and coach and manager knows the result of their team's game each week from at least u8s. With no records they don't know the other results in their competition. Also, scheduling of matches doesn't need to stick to a strict home and away format, or for washouts to be rescheduled. 

There's a lot of things I don't feel qualified to comment on about our slump and the reasons for that. 

But I have been listening to Babbel's post game press conference every week and thinking about the way he talks about the players. Sometimes it has been refreshing and honest and other times so blunt and critical, even blaming, that I find it uncomfortable. Along with other things, I think this is having an effect, not a good one, and that is being noted by others.

In last night's press conference three or four of the questions from different journalists were asking Babbel about his responsibility for lack of confidence in the players...what does he do to help when their heads drop as they are at the moment? Is he able to relate to them? You haven't sheltered them from criticisms in public (i.e. by you) -  do you think they are responding to that? 

I think Babbel didn't really answer the questions which may be why they were asked several times in different ways. Listen to the press conference if you haven't already and imagine yourself as one of the players listening to his answers.

Part of coaching is like parenting, or teaching, or managing staff. The most effective combination is high expectations combined with high levels of support, encouragement and guidance, and constructive criticism is given in private.

We don't know what goes on at training and the positive regard or not that exists between players and coach. 

I think the team, or many players, are discouraged. Why wouldn't you be?  A run of losses. A win blown in the last minutes the game before this one. The coach says in public regularly "We are not that good" "The players are not that good". "This is disaster." "Same mistakes every week". "I say to the boys "I like you but... but... (Shrugs)" 

Along with this, comments from fans on social media are often vitriolic (not so much on this forum), directed at individuals and relentlessly critical and blaming. And some fans walk out while others boo at the end of the game.  

When a team has lost belief in themselves, it is the coach's job to build belief and their mentality. This is not sentimentalism. Yes they are professional players but they are human beings who need to know the coach has their back and is on their side.  

Blaming Lederer is a cop out. Ronnie and Messi could’ve been up front last night and we still wouldn’t have won. 

The team looks like the sporting equivalent of a mental breakdown. On paper we are no worse than anyone else but we just don’t have any ticker or mongrel. That’s the difference. 

Money ain’t fixing this problem and neither is a new stadium. We need to learn how to be ruthless again. 

9 hours ago, hughsey said:

Blaming Lederer is a cop out. Ronnie and Messi could’ve been up front last night and we still wouldn’t have won. 

The team looks like the sporting equivalent of a mental breakdown. On paper we are no worse than anyone else but we just don’t have any ticker or mongrel. That’s the difference. 

Money ain’t fixing this problem and neither is a new stadium. We need to learn how to be ruthless again. 

Yep we are mentally shot and we lack ticker.

Although I’d say “on paper” our squad is worse than most. We aren’t a top 6 squad.

It’s not about Ronaldos and Messi’s though. We lack a solid spine. A NTS, Spira or Alberto  would sort a lot of it out.

currently we have kids being thrown in to a team that lacks leadership and consists of players who clearly don’t give a stuff and / or aren’t good enough for a league 

whos to blame? I don’t know, but for mine it started post Adelaide GF, we released the core of the team (Alberto, Andreau, NTS etc) and replaced with total crap we haven’t recovered since 

feel like I’m picking on Hammil here but he’s gone from fourth choice to captain, and it’s not because he’s hugely improved, there just isn’t anyone else.

theee different managers and under all he still does the same things 

It's about Lederer investing the money to be a 'big club', if he wants this to be a 'big club'. He keeps talking the talk after all. 

Let's look at Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC. Both have had better marquees than us over the last few years, because they invested more resources into their scouting to get it right. Both have had better Aussie players than us. They are on top of us in that area as well. We get more injuries than other teams. We are also not as fit as other teams. More time put in by other bigger clubs in getting the best training facilities and physios to be stronger than other clubs. These are the small details where Lederer has to put more money, time and resources into catching the bigger clubs. Because it is so obvious watching every game we play against these bigger clubs that we are simply inferior to them in all these areas, and that won't change (no matter how hard you support them) without the club taking action.

I also don't like the 'asking players to play for you' mentality. Makes me a cringe a little. It probably even puts that extra pressure on the players that they don't need. Those things are best left to happen organically (if they happen at all). A player will be happy any way if he is playing at a strong club with good facilities and loyal supporters. They will most likely be happy to play for you at that point.

Edited by WestSyd

just wanted to throw my opinion in about the no league tables for the kids thing.

have coached my 3 kids all the way through juniors (they range between 8 and 16) and I am a supporter of the no results/tables idea even though I would perhaps like to see it change a bit earlier ( 10s?).

it is more for the coaches than the players i think. as soon as you introduce a table and a winner you will see coaches adopt 'win at all costs' type strategies which really impacts the kids development.

I'll give an example form u11s a couple of years ago - now keep in mind this is a non-competitive comp (scores are kept but not publicised but results are used by the association to formulate divisions for the next year). so 11s is 9 a side, smaller field and no offsides. this was 11 div 2 and there were several teams/coaches who felt they should be in div 1 for the next season. so 3 of the teams (in an 8 team comp) took advantage of the no offside rule to place their biggest/fastest kid 10 metres offside and just boot long balls for him all game. it was very effective.

this sort of stuff benefits no one - the good kid is using a strategy he can't use the next year, the opposition coach (me) is then forced to either coach his defenders to play normal football (ie maintain a defensive line) and cop some goals (sometimes lots of goals) or tell his kids to follow the opposition striker around like its AFL - again practicing a strategy that will be useless to them for the rest of the time they play football. And all of this is happening because the coaches are obsessed with the results and the losers are the kids on both teams.

as soon as you make the games count for something - some of the adults can't help themselves and it stuffs up the natural football learning of the kids both on that team and the opposition.

1 hour ago, WestSyd said:

It's about Lederer investing the money to be a 'big club', if he wants this to be a 'big club'. He keeps talking the talk after all. 

Let's look at Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC. Both have had better marquees than us over the last few years, because they invested more resources into their scouting to get it right. Both have had better Aussie players than us. They are on top of us in that area as well. We get more injuries than other teams. We are also not as fit as other teams. More time put in by other bigger clubs in getting the best training facilities and physios to be stronger than other clubs. These are the small details where Lederer has to put more money, time and resources into catching the bigger clubs. Because it is so obvious watching every game we play against these bigger clubs that we are simply inferior to them in all these areas, and that won't change (no matter how hard you support them) without the club taking action.

I also don't like the 'asking players to play for you' mentality. Makes me a cringe a little. It probably even puts that extra pressure on the players that they don't need. Those things are best left to happen organically (if they happen at all). A player will be happy any way if he is playing at a strong club with good facilities and loyal supporters. They will most likely be happy to play for you at that point.

Do you have the numbers on what he puts into the club? Or just wild guesses? 

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Do you have the numbers on what he puts into the club? Or just wild guesses? 

What I am saying is whatever he is doing isn't enough, because MV and SFC ( and even Melb City) are far superior to us in every department. So he needs to ramp it up, or get some outside resources to do a better job.

That's not hating on him. That's just being realistic. Otherwise all his talk of a 'big club' is just that.

Cant comment on the merits of keeping scores for junior footballers but  this is not why Riera and the rest of the wanderers cant score or defend.

Recruitment was very poor that is all 

We were never going to finish above 6th with this squad .We all new it before the season started and all we can hope for is  that whoever is in charge learns from these mistakes . 

2 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

just wanted to throw my opinion in about the no league tables for the kids thing.

have coached my 3 kids all the way through juniors (they range between 8 and 16) and I am a supporter of the no results/tables idea even though I would perhaps like to see it change a bit earlier ( 10s?).

it is more for the coaches than the players i think. as soon as you introduce a table and a winner you will see coaches adopt 'win at all costs' type strategies which really impacts the kids development.

I'll give an example form u11s a couple of years ago - now keep in mind this is a non-competitive comp (scores are kept but not publicised but results are used by the association to formulate divisions for the next year). so 11s is 9 a side, smaller field and no offsides. this was 11 div 2 and there were several teams/coaches who felt they should be in div 1 for the next season. so 3 of the teams (in an 8 team comp) took advantage of the no offside rule to place their biggest/fastest kid 10 metres offside and just boot long balls for him all game. it was very effective.

this sort of stuff benefits no one - the good kid is using a strategy he can't use the next year, the opposition coach (me) is then forced to either coach his defenders to play normal football (ie maintain a defensive line) and cop some goals (sometimes lots of goals) or tell his kids to follow the opposition striker around like its AFL - again practicing a strategy that will be useless to them for the rest of the time they play football. And all of this is happening because the coaches are obsessed with the results and the losers are the kids on both teams.

as soon as you make the games count for something - some of the adults can't help themselves and it stuffs up the natural football learning of the kids both on that team and the opposition.

Lloydy, I don't think many of coaches and parent refs ever read the mini-roos rules. Those rules state that offsides are to be discouraged. When my eldest was in u11s we had one team in our division where their coach actively encouraged offside (happened to be his son). The next next year I had to ref a semi-final in u12s, as usual ref for that ground didn't turn up and the home team could provide a ref, where we played the same team. At one point in the game, that same kid was in offside position ready to take the ball to the net and I called offside when the ball deflected (not played at) and their coach was really cranky and wouldn't shake my hand afterwards.

I reckon if a player scores a goal from an offside position, the rules should say immediate substitution.

I have just been through u10s, y11s and u12s with my youngest and last year they changed the penalty box for the u10/11s so be closer to what the pitch looks like on a full field. Fairer for the GK.

Edited by Paul01
Added info