Babbel Out?

Babbel out?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion:

• Does Babbel deserve another season to clear out some players, rebuild the squad and impart his "mentality"?
    • Do we cut out losses (either at the end of the season or asap) and start the search again?

I'm curious to see where the forum sits. As we know, this season has been terrible. Our W/L/D is abysmal. Some (but not all) of that blame falls on Babbel. If it were Gombau, Foxe or Popa (after a number of seasons), we would be baying for blood.

For the record I am Babbel In.

@mack if you want to merge this into a more appropriate thread please feel free.

35 minutes ago, Carns said:

I'm curious to see where the forum sits. As we know, this season has been terrible. Our W/L/D is abysmal. Some (but not all) of that blame falls on Babbel. If it were Gombau, Foxe or Popa (after a number of seasons), we would be baying for blood.

For the record I am Babbel In.

@mack if you want to merge this into a more appropriate thread please feel free.

Agree with you about the blame if it were another manager.

As with Gombau, it isn't his squad, and while it IS his job to get the team to perform and he hasn't, I like the style of play he has introduced.....well..........apart from all the goals we are conceding and player brain farts.....and as I said with Gombau, he ( Babbel ) deserves to get his own squad.

The season is down the tube now anyway so the club should come out, back the manager now and work on pissing off those that are holding the team back on the pitch and bring in those that want to play for us. Does he deserve another season,,,,?........most probaly not based on results so far.......but the club signed him for three years.....so let him do a job next season at least and take it from there.

#Babbel In.

Edited by sonar

lol I was wondering when this thread would come and was expecting a poll also.. I think the overwhelming majority will vote to let Babbel push on and of course that is what I voted for.

BUT that could change quickly and might not be the way I would vote if the poll were run again in just a few weeks time......my vote is based on how I feel right now of course....but my mood is swaying I will admit. Some of Babbel's decisions and comments have left me wondering if he is the man to take us to the new stadium. 

So I am going to give Babbel that dreaded statement that 'he has my full support and confidence'.........and we all know that means he is on ******* notice to get this sorted...

Edited by Smoggy

The playing squad is a combination of those who don't care, and those who aren't good enough. When players aren't good enough you get the Mariners where at least people recognise they are trying, and they are fighting for the team. When you have both, those who don't care drag down those who do care and destroy the team cohesion.

It's a cancerous mentality that drags down players who are trying, and as Babbel has said, sees them start doing their own thing.

To paraphrase John Sitton, "Good players want to be good players all the time, don't you know how profound that is if you don't examine the ******* words? You won’t play how you like, because if you play how you like, I’ll ******* stick the youth team in... I’ll take abuse by doing it my way. And that is ******* conformity, not ******* non conformity."

I'd gladly watch the team for the rest of the season be comprised of Suman, Greenwood, Risdon, Tass, Cordier, Tate, Ziegler, Fitzy, Kamau, Baccus, Tokich, Roly, Agamemenons, Grozos, O'Doherty, Duke, Sotirio, Yeboh and Majok. That's 18 players, out of the rest we'd probably only "need" to put Hamill in at some point because of Ziggy's injury woes.

Nothing a new coach next year could do is anything different to what Babbel could. Sack 95% of the off contract players, offer out players who aren't performing but have contracts and bring in new talent. And it won't help the side bringing in a new coach.

10 minutes ago, Swarth said:

we shat the bed with how we treated gumbau and now we got the same ******* players doing the same **** with babbel, **** them get rid of them

We didn’t he wasn’t the answer. 

I’d argue that he’s still part of the problem 

The players he brought in were at best bog average and at worst crap. This meant that Babbel had a squad which was arguably worse than what Gonbau inherited from Popa and no room to  move 

O Doherty - one for the future not ready to anchor a midfield with mini Baccus (who we already had)

Elrich - I feel sorry for him, brought in as a sub full back but now starting every game

kamau - I like him he’s been ok but how many pacy but ineffective wingers do you need

fitzgerald - see Kamau but not as good (why did we sign both and not let anyone go?)

Babbels recruitment problem has been the two big signings he made have both been crocked. I suspect ABJ is made of balsa wood

Edited by StringerBellend

I missed tongyik off, least said there the better.

anyhow there’s 5 signings who didn’t improve the team. 

Anyhow I still think Gumby was a bit hard done by, but it comes down what’s the best chance of success. 

It wasn’t Gumby 

I don't want us to be like SFC over several years who had a string of managers who were sacked as soon as the Cove ranted (whinged) enough.  It didn't help the club.  We have to hang in with Babbel and at least get a balanced squad on the park next year, hopefully with a few really strong players who have passion, leadership and can read a game of football, tackle and, oh yeah, trap and kick with both feet!

The Germans are all we've got. I'm very clear why Popovic left. Above the pitch and manager there are greater forces at work. Babbel must stay. He's our only marquee putting in a shift. Duke came on and give a **** and we looked a different team. Didn't take much. 

Edited by DamnedUnited

For real?

I can't believe we're even contemplating this. Ridiculous. If we lose Babbel its probably because he's disappointed in the club and the dross we signed, rather than the other way around. 

I truly hope the club are not contemplating this. We will be a laughing stock and any positives that are being anticipated due to the new stadium can be dismissed if we get rid of Babel

He's not the coaching messiah, but he's not mulvey or Gombau either. 

1 hour ago, Carns said:

I'm genuinely surprised that the poll currently sits at 100% Babbel In after 30 votes. Considering our form and the discussions had on here I assumed it would be a tighter contest.

Looking at it objectively most fans can see the better quality of play this season comapred to the previous two. Popa's last season and the one under Gombau we were terrible for the amount of inane passing with no go forward and no result.

I swear I was close to jumping the fence and pointing out the direction the opposition goal was in if they dared to do one more back pass....and as for short corners....fmd....I remember on more than one occasion where it ended back with our keeper.

We have go forward with purpose under Babbel and to be fair while the results absolutely stink I can see a method to the madness......with the madness being supplied by various players who hopefully will be moved on.

If he can get a decent defensive setup and a striker who can score we should be competitive. It took the VAR to beat us against the comp frontrunners so while we may be sitting 3rd last there is some hope. 

Either that or we will fall further down the ladder and he is sacked or leaves at seasons end.

Edited by sonar
4 hours ago, mack said:

The playing squad is a combination of those who don't care, and those who aren't good enough. When players aren't good enough you get the Mariners where at least people recognise they are trying, and they are fighting for the team. When you have both, those who don't care drag down those who do care and destroy the team cohesion.

It's a cancerous mentality that drags down players who are trying, and as Babbel has said, sees them start doing their own thing.

To paraphrase John Sitton, "Good players want to be good players all the time, don't you know how profound that is if you don't examine the ******* words? You won’t play how you like, because if you play how you like, I’ll ******* stick the youth team in... I’ll take abuse by doing it my way. And that is ******* conformity, not ******* non conformity."

I'd gladly watch the team for the rest of the season be comprised of Suman, Greenwood, Risdon, Tass, Cordier, Tate, Ziegler, Fitzy, Kamau, Baccus, Tokich, Roly, Agamemenons, Grozos, O'Doherty, Duke, Sotirio, Yeboh and Majok. That's 18 players, out of the rest we'd probably only "need" to put Hamill in at some point because of Ziggy's injury woes.

Nothing a new coach next year could do is anything different to what Babbel could. Sack 95% of the off contract players, offer out players who aren't performing but have contracts and bring in new talent. And it won't help the side bringing in a new coach.

Of the players you list in my view only Risdon, Ziegler, Roly, Duke and Yeboah are starter quality for the A-League.

4 hours ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Haha. 100% atm and I'm the 39th voter. 

If this poll was on the wsw bookface, it will swing the other way :xnod:

Sometimes best to have a poll as just the poll and not able to comment below...or as one where the person who started it sees the results and then shows them later...then discuss....i think there at least a couple here that would vote out....

Herr Babel in, but i want more of that fire i saw at SCG when he got red carded, get yer arse off that comfortable bench and stand on edge of coaching area and communicate with your team !

If they are out of shape and imploding - tell them, if they are playing well - tell them, communication big, word big meaning.

Next season is the most important in this club's history, arguably even more important than S1.

They can't get it wrong.

We can push past 20k members, have the second highest crowd average, win the double - and bury SW Sydney all at the same time if the lineup is right.

However, I heard rumours that some of the players no one wants are slated to be re-signed.

It's a worry that (if true) they don't get it.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic