Babbel Out?

Babbel out?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion:

• Does Babbel deserve another season to clear out some players, rebuild the squad and impart his "mentality"?
    • Do we cut out losses (either at the end of the season or asap) and start the search again?

The playing squad is a combination of those who don't care, and those who aren't good enough. When players aren't good enough you get the Mariners where at least people recognise they are trying, and they are fighting for the team. When you have both, those who don't care drag down those who do care and destroy the team cohesion.

Are you a Philosopher?

It sums up brilliantly, not just our team at the moment, but so many things in life.

Babbel IN.
[in fact I'd have him as PLAYER/Coach, that's keep the defence on thier toes.

Hamill epitomises 'those who just aren't good enough'.
Absolutely great team bloke, gives everything he has, but he's got the turning circle of a road-train and the reaction time of a pigeon.

Yeah if he leaves now any damage done to his reputation during this stint will stick. If he can turn things around next season from the mess we’re in now he could actually enhance his reputation.

I’m Babbel in but I’d like to see some improvement this season, not just a spiral down to the spoon with an attitude of “we’ll fix it next season”. I’d like us to remain in the group of clubs that have never finished last.

34 minutes ago, Davo said:

Yeah if he leaves now any damage done to his reputation during this stint will stick. If he can turn things around next season from the mess we’re in now he could actually enhance his reputation.

I’m Babbel in but I’d like to see some improvement this season, not just a spiral down to the spoon with an attitude of “we’ll fix it next season”. I’d like us to remain in the group of clubs that have never finished last.

This. I'd like to see us cause problems to some teams runs this back end of the season. A real fly in the ointment.

We've lost 6 home games in a row. A couple of those by a convincing margin. 

I'm not #BabbelOut or #BabbelIn but how many managers survive that in other parts of the world?

Before this season, we had never lost more than 2 AL home matches in a row. 

We've lost 6 home games in a row. A couple of those by a convincing margin. 

I'd prefer to look at it as we've lost 6 games at a souless, neutral venue, which should be considered a crime against architecture.
It truly is the worst ground I've ever been to.
Worse than even the worst Eastern European 70s excesses.

Was surprised the media having it out at him. When you look at the last 8 games it isn't Babbels plan that hasn't worked its the players unable to close the game out because they aren't good enough. The majority of Wanderer fans would agree to **** off a number of players and bring in quality and experience players in key positions.

Example how bad our team is: We use to complain about having Thwaite in defence last season cause he was slow but our defence is soooo bad I would take him back in a heart beat and make him captain that's how bad our team.

Babbel In - good luck trying to find a coach with a better pedigree than babbel - only replace if you have something better lined up.

questions must be asked about his defensive mentality. He was a defender as a player, surely that would be the easiest part for to coach as that’s what his trade was... not expecting miracles with this squad defensively but just some solid defence that digs in and becomes a nuisance to opposition, not just dying in the arse like the past few months....

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ok...so who was the 1 person...come on...stick your hand up :D

6 hours ago, leslie said:

if we loose on Saturday Im babble out and now. Bagging the players all the time, what's he actually shown us to suggest that he's the man, is what I'm asking myself

#Rudan In.:xnod:

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Was surprised the media having it out at him. When you look at the last 8 games it isn't Babbels plan that hasn't worked its the players unable to close the game out because they aren't good enough. The majority of Wanderer fans would agree to **** off a number of players and bring in quality and experience players in key positions.

Example how bad our team is: We use to complain about having Thwaite in defence last season cause he was slow but our defence is soooo bad I would take him back in a heart beat and make him captain that's how bad our team.

I liked Cornflakes bit of nous about him, but too old now surely, he was also good at scoring from set pieces.

1 hour ago, Sime11 said:

Babbel In - good luck trying to find a coach with a better pedigree than babbel - only replace if you have something better lined up.

questions must be asked about his defensive mentality. He was a defender as a player, surely that would be the easiest part for to coach as that’s what his trade was... not expecting miracles with this squad defensively but just some solid defence that digs in and becomes a nuisance to opposition, not just dying in the arse like the past few months....

We have a keeper who does not give a ****, has cost us 3 matches by himself and if he is out its an 18yo kid, we have Zielgler out injured and has been for a while, we have Elrich who full credit to him he tries hard and I honestly think he bleeds red and black but is simply too old and being asked to do something he simply cannot do, we have Hammill who is going like a busted, Risdon who for a Socceroo has given us absolutely zero and llorente who doesn't mind going forward but forgets his first job is to defend.  Aside from that we have kids in Russell, Cordier, Mourdourkoutis and Bacchus doing the rest, wouldn't matter if Pep coached us we would be conceding plenty.

2 hours ago, BohemianDublin said:

I'd prefer to look at it as we've lost 6 games at a souless, neutral venue, which should be considered a crime against architecture.
It truly is the worst ground I've ever been to.
Worse than even the worst Eastern European 70s excesses.

It was never a football stadium (nor AFL for that matter).  It was/is a showground designed for horses and animals and other Easter Show crap - not football.  And it shows!

5 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

It was never a football stadium (nor AFL for that matter).  It was/is a showground designed for horses and animals 

A ground designed for donkeys somehow feels apt..

Half our team needs putting out to pasture and we have played so much shyte on spotless i am suprised it doesnt have the most luscious green grass on earth..

Edited by Smoggy

Wanderers shouldn’t rush to boot Babbel, says ex-captain Cornthwaite:

Under-pressure Western Sydney Wanderers coach Markus Babbel should be allowed to ride out the storm and lead the club into their homecoming at the newly rebuilt Bankwest Stadium next season.

UPDATEDUPDATED 52 MINS AGO
BY DAVE LEWIS

That’s the view of former Red and Black skipper Robbie Cornthwaite as scrutiny mounts on the outspoken German after a run of eight defeats in 10 games and the quest for an A-League finals spot already a lost cause.

Despite an apparent disconnect between the coach and his players - whom Babbel has castigated on a regular basis this season - Cornthwaite is not expecting a repeat of the knee-jerk response which prematurely cut short the tenure of his predecessor Josep Gombau.

Cornthwaite, who was one of the Spaniard’s critics, told The World Game: “I think Babbel will have at least until the end of the season, when the club will then reassess things.

“The finals are out of reach, and there’s probably no point in making a big shock decision (over the former Liverpool defender’s future). That said, in football you never know.

“You’ve got the new stadium to come and I’d expect him to be looking at which players to keep and which to let go of. Maybe also source some foreigners for next season.”

Cornthwaite - who retired in 2018 after a 13-year career which earned him seven Socceroos caps - said the initial feedback he received from former teammates over Babbel was positive.

“I heard initially they liked his style and the way he was going about things,” said the defender who skippered the team over 18 months under Tony Popovic and then Gombau.

“I would say though that a lot of coaches come out and say ‘my team can’t defend, my team’s not fit’. But it’s the responsibility of the coach to make sure they can defend and are fit.

“It’s valid to say that the squad isn’t what he wants, since he didn’t put it together. Although he did add some players.

“Ultimately though you want to see improvement and there hasn’t been a lot of that.

“Even Central Coast, as bad as they’ve been, have looked better in recent weeks. You haven’t seen that with the Wanderers - and that’s a concern for the coach and the club.”

Babbel’s latest tirade against his team came in the wake of Friday’s horror 5-1 home loss against Newcastle Jets, when questioned what it means to the latest generation of players to suffer a defeat.

“If I lost 5-1, I would be upset for the whole week. They, after five minutes, it’s like normal life. This is not an Australian problem, but a world problem. The generation is different,” he observed.

But Cornthwaite defended the attitude of Wanderers’ latest crop.

“As much as the older generation will come out and say the young ones don’t care, of course they care,” he insisted.

“They’re the ones who have to cop a lot of **** from the fans and the media.

“Everybody wants to be a professional player but you have to remember that in Australia some of these young guys that are getting criticized are on pretty basic wages.

“Some of them are on minimum-wage, which is $50,000, which is great for a 20-year-old but the amount of scrutiny they getting for that money sometimes doesn’t add up.

“People say ‘oh there’s the pressure of relegation in Europe’. That’s true but those players tend to be on a lot more money.”

Cornthwaite believes that while the Wanderers hierarchy won’t be happy with Babbel to this point, he isn’t under the blowtorch in the same way that Gombau was.

“Gombau was the first manager after the popa era and faced huge pressure and didn’t get much leeway,” he added.

“Now you’re onto your second manager, and things are similar but I’m sure they’ll be less likely to make another quick move and will be prepared to let the season play out, and see why happens in the last 10 games.

“They’ve signed Mitch Duke and Kwame Yeboah and will want to see how they can improve the team.

“They’ll see if Markus wants to stay, what he thinks about the new season and what players he wants to bring in.

“I don’t have any inside knowledge but I suspect heavy investment will be made in the team (by owner Paul Lederer) to get the new stadium full for every game, and get off to a flying start.”

Cornthwaite sees a silver lining in the emergence of youngsters like goalkeeper Nick Suman, defenders Tass Mourdoukoutas and Tate Russell, midfielder Jordan O’Doherty and striker Abraham Majok, who have racked up 40 appearances between them.

“The future is very bright with the youth set up they have there,” he said.

“A lot of those players have stepped up when they’ve had the opportunity and it’s a matter of marrying that with the right experience and the right manager. Those are positives for the club.

“But confidence is low for the whole squad and when that happens results aren’t the best.”

Does he expect Babbel to rein in the rhetoric during the remainder of the season?

“Obviously Babbel has his way of doing things, and if he thinks that’s the best way to get results then I’m sure that’s what he’s going to do,” he added.

10 hours ago, Davo said:

I’d like us to remain in the group of clubs that have never finished last.

LOLOLOL!

A few days ago,  Mack was celebrating (or maybe pretending to celebrate) potentially being in 8th rather than 9th spot! 

I think his comment was something like  :woah::woah::woah::woah::woah::woah:

Now you're keen to see us in the group which has never finished last.

Oh how the mighty have fallen! :lol:

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:lol:LOLOLOL!

A few days ago,  Mack was celebrating (or maybe pretending to celebrate) potentially being in 8th rather than 9th spot! 

I think his comment was something like  :woah::woah::woah::woah::woah::woah:

Now, you're keen to see us in the group which has never finished last.

Oh.....how the mighty have fallen! :lol:

Edited by wendybr
Ooops...didn't mean to repeat it - I meant to edit it!

We've had an abysmal season, we are playing worse than last year dramatically so, particularly in defence. Last season we won 8 games and drew 9. With 10 games left even if we won 6 of them and drew the other 4, we'd still end the season on less points.

However I do not think that the club can afford to be sucked into another another player & media lead campaign to sack our coach just so we could install an 80's national team old mate of Fox Sports. We need a gigantic player clear out first.

If we start next season poorly it's going to be brutal regardless of who is in charge.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic