Babbel Out?

Babbel out?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion:

• Does Babbel deserve another season to clear out some players, rebuild the squad and impart his "mentality"?
    • Do we cut out losses (either at the end of the season or asap) and start the search again?

10 minutes ago, Taurus said:

When did we last lead a Derby (never mind away) 2 - 0 before half time?

Yep that's right, when Foxe & Crook were driving the Wanderbus. 

So are you saying Foxe should have been kept in the job, Taurus?

33 minutes ago, Taurus said:

No, he was only a temp option & Crookie didn't want to coach at that level again. 

In hindsight, would we have done any worse? I'd reckon we may have preserved some of the better aspects of our culture had he remained in the role 

Maybe Rudan should have been considered instead of the bus driver!

27 minutes ago, Taurus said:

No, he was only a temp option & Crookie didn't want to coach at that level again. 

In hindsight, would we have done any worse? I'd reckon we may have preserved some of the better aspects of our culture had he remained in the role 

It’s the lost culture that’s the most disappointing thing. 

I’m a blow-in (moved to Sydney only 10 years ago), but the thing I love most about Western Sydney is the never give up attitude. I see it around me every day. The thing I hate the most about this current squad is it caves so easily. It has no heart, no fight, no **** you attitude. Given this is probably our most westie squad yet, the fact that it’s the most spineless hurts. Sure, the kids are alright, and they’re always going to make dumb mistakes. They’re kids. 

But where is the fire from Hammil? I’ve never really seen him deliver a bollocking on the field. There’s no gee ups from Elrich. Vedrans’s passion seems to be directed mostly at a big fat STFU to the fans. I can’t blame Bridge as his failing body means he’s not even on the bench. Hopefully he’s guiding the young ones behind the scene.

Our westie elders who grew up here are failing us, and the visa players aren’t getting indoctrinated in the ways of the West. Think of the work ethic of the visa boys in those first seasons. Polenz, Hersi, Ono, Dino. All would flog themselves stupid every game. They had people like Meggsy, Topor and Ante to show them how things worked out this way.

Will we ever see that culture again? I’m worried the answer is no. 

1 hour ago, mack said:

And we fell apart and it finished 2-2.

Foxe is a tactical lightweight. Got completely exposed in our game against Adelaide in the FFA Cup.

His last game in charge away to MV would top that.

We led 1 - 0 with a man advantage & still lost control of the game in the 2nd half, concede & drop 2 points 

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The squad that Gombau was given was better than what he passed on to Babbel

there I’ve said it 

Actually thinking about it again, maybe it wasn’t I forgot Jumpei being still there 

it did at least have 2 experienced CBs, granted neither could run though

It’s been grim hasn’t it?

Edited by StringerBellend

Most of the squad is the same between Gombau to Babbel.

We replaced Thwaites with Elrich & Ziegler (constantly hurt), Jumpei & Cejudo with ABJ (constantly hurt) and moving Roly out wide (because he can't play attacking mid like Popa wanted him because he loses the ball constantly in dangerous positions). We kept Vedran, Hamill, Risdon, Llorente, Roly, the Baccuses, Sotirio, Riera and a bunch of youth players (Scott, Tokich, Grozos, Majok, Suman) who have been at the club for years now.

Gombau then bought in two players in summer window that were a big improvement (Carrusca & Ikon) who left at the end of the season, and Babbel has done the same (Yeboah & Duke), but we have them on longer contracts. If you go back to the last year of Popa, he bought in Antonis in summer and he was another big improvement.

Babbel needs to get the recruitment right next year. If he basically does the same thing Popa & Gombau did with their signings (sign mediocre foreigners and pack the side with midfielders & wingers who don't score) we're gonna have the same problem next year. Babbel also needs to get our players 90 minutes & 3 games a week fit, without copping another massive run of injuries like we had this year (some of which were compounded by throwing players back in training & games too early).

Once he gets that done, a top 4 level squad, with a top 2 level fitness, he can hopefully worry less about basic stuff like Vedran running out of the goal a bunch of times, Elrich getting destroyed for pace, our strikers awful form and our two new import players being injured constantly (Ziggy & ABJ), and more about how to beat Sydney FC & Melbourne Victory and to win the FFA Cup.

6 hours ago, mack said:

Most of the squad is the same between Gombau to Babbel.

We replaced Thwaites with Elrich & Ziegler (constantly hurt), Jumpei & Cejudo with ABJ (constantly hurt) and moving Roly out wide (because he can't play attacking mid like Popa wanted him because he loses the ball constantly in dangerous positions). We kept Vedran, Hamill, Risdon, Llorente, Roly, the Baccuses, Sotirio, Riera and a bunch of youth players (Scott, Tokich, Grozos, Majok, Suman) who have been at the club for years now.

Gombau then bought in two players in summer window that were a big improvement (Carrusca & Ikon) who left at the end of the season, and Babbel has done the same (Yeboah & Duke), but we have them on longer contracts. If you go back to the last year of Popa, he bought in Antonis in summer and he was another big improvement.

Babbel needs to get the recruitment right next year. If he basically does the same thing Popa & Gombau did with their signings (sign mediocre foreigners and pack the side with midfielders & wingers who don't score) we're gonna have the same problem next year. Babbel also needs to get our players 90 minutes & 3 games a week fit, without copping another massive run of injuries like we had this year (some of which were compounded by throwing players back in training & games too early).

Once he gets that done, a top 4 level squad, with a top 2 level fitness, he can hopefully worry less about basic stuff like Vedran running out of the goal a bunch of times, Elrich getting destroyed for pace, our strikers awful form and our two new import players being injured constantly (Ziggy & ABJ), and more about how to beat Sydney FC & Melbourne Victory and to win the FFA Cup.

The biggest problem of late is problem for us is the how soft we are in the middle CB and kids in at DM

theoretically the side Gumby was given had a decent experienced CBs and DM in Thwaite Cornthwaite and Herd. Problem was the year wasn’t 2015

For Babbel at the end of the last season the squad needed an overhall, but club used up 5 spots on Gombau players that we didn’t need

For Babbbel, ABJ was a bit of risk which hasn’t paid off, you can’t look at his last three seasons and then be suprised when he is injured this year

10 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Maybe Rudan should have been considered instead of the bus driver!

I would of never taken Rudan cos I dont like the tosser, that aside he has proven himself to be a very good manager, however Merrick was also available at that time and he wasn't even considered. His style of play would of suited us to a tee.

Babbel only ever said we were the worst team after the Fox round table and all the "experts" stated that we would be fighting at the bottom. So he said "sure, we're the worst team of the league, thats what you all said anyway"

Unfortunately I hoped it would galvanise the squad to prove the "experts" wrong. Unfortunately they are right lol.

Over the last few months MB pointed out several issues, and quite a few of them appear have been lingering in the background for a few years - remaining unattended, by the sounds of it.

• One of the first things he noticed was that the players would take take multiple touches before they'd pass the ball. He demanded this to be done with the first or the second touch.
  • He believes that the young players in the HAL have it too cushy, that they don't need to stretch enough. They only need to squeeze past five imports, and a relatively small number of senior players to make the team. If they don't make it they change clubs and turn into journeymen.
  • He noticed that the players don't talk to each other on the pitch to help each other out. We sure haven't had a true leader on the pitch since Cornflakes left.
  • Our players are too nice. We don't have the likes of Hersi, La Rocca, Santa who were in their opponents' faces, relentlessly. We pick up yellow cards for silly stuff, not for technical fouls, or "displays of intent".
  • Lack of stamina - players seem to be unable to play two games a week. 
  • Mentality/attitude/mindset - even if the other team, on paper, is better, you have to have a crack. That's what he demands.

MB quite openly asks the players to be football pros. Some think that having this in the public might be bad for the players motivation, or disrespectful. I disagree. All of the above is bare metal football stuff that would be taken for granted in any BL3 club.

He is talking about being a title contender next season, so he has reason to be belief that he is going to be around, and that all these deficiencies are going to be addressed, one way or another.

It's February, by this time of the year there are usually rumours making the rounds which turn out to be true. Last year Kamau, Fitzgerald, Elrich, JoD, Tongynk had all been signed in January, and none of them came as a surprise when they were announced. This time things seem to be different - apart from Brattan there is zero talk about other HAL players being on the WSW radar.

This would suggest that the reinforcements will be coming from overseas, and may they be plentiful, skilled, experienced, pacey, ambitious, professional, fearless, and scary to the opposition. Also, it would be really nice if Aussie Patrick could fully recover from his pre-season knee injury, and have his passport situation sorted.

1 hour ago, scarcev said:

I would of never taken Rudan cos I dont like the tosser, that aside he has proven himself to be a very good manager, however Merrick was also available at that time and he wasn't even considered. His style of play would of suited us to a tee.

Merrick had signed with Newcastle in April 2018, he had been off the market for six months by the time Popa left.

25 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Babbel only ever said we were the worst team after the Fox round table and all the "experts" stated that we would be fighting at the bottom. So he said "sure, we're the worst team of the league, thats what you all said anyway"

Unfortunately I hoped it would galvanise the squad to prove the "experts" wrong. Unfortunately they are right lol.

He did say in an interview that, once he had seen the team in training: "mama mia, if that's the best players we have, I wouldn't want to see the worst ones". Words to that effect.

Riera missing big chances in the first games of the season, Snake playing Santa not once, not twice but three times, Raul and Elrich defending like inexperienced juniors - they pissed a massive sack of points in the wind. I'd even go so far to say that Snake, with his derby red card, ripped the guts out of the season. Without these easy misses and brain snaps we'd be comfortably in the top half - and we are not even talking about playing without various imports for most of the season, var, or refs.

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Wondering where you had got to FCB :D

Goats been missing you lol

Matters of WSW are very remote when enjoying Noumea's Lemon Bay, the blue waters of Mystery Island, and the sandy beaches of Isle of Pines. I wish I was still there. I am yet to watch the "highlights" of the Jets game...

What's a goats though...?

Edited by FCB
2 hours ago, FCB said:

Matters of WSW are very remote when enjoying Noumea's Lemon Bay, the blue waters of Mystery Island, and the sandy beaches of Isle of Pines. I wish I was still there. I am yet to watch the "highlights" of the Jets game...

What's a goats though...?

Goat = Swarth = neverbloom

3 hours ago, FCB said:

Over the last few months MB pointed out several issues, and quite a few of them appear have been lingering in the background for a few years - remaining unattended, by the sounds of it.

• One of the first things he noticed was that the players would take take multiple touches before they'd pass the ball. He demanded this to be done with the first or the second touch.
  • He believes that the young players in the HAL have it too cushy, that they don't need to stretch enough. They only need to squeeze past five imports, and a relatively small number of senior players to make the team. If they don't make it they change clubs and turn into journeymen.
  • He noticed that the players don't talk to each other on the pitch to help each other out. We sure haven't had a true leader on the pitch since Cornflakes left.
  • Our players are too nice. We don't have the likes of Hersi, La Rocca, Santa who were in their opponents' faces, relentlessly. We pick up yellow cards for silly stuff, not for technical fouls, or "displays of intent".
  • Lack of stamina - players seem to be unable to play two games a week. 
  • Mentality/attitude/mindset - even if the other team, on paper, is better, you have to have a crack. That's what he demands.

MB quite openly asks the players to be football pros. Some think that having this in the public might be bad for the players motivation, or disrespectful. I disagree. All of the above is bare metal football stuff that would be taken for granted in any BL3 club.

He is talking about being a title contender next season, so he has reason to be belief that he is going to be around, and that all these deficiencies are going to be addressed, one way or another.

It's February, by this time of the year there are usually rumours making the rounds which turn out to be true. Last year Kamau, Fitzgerald, Elrich, JoD, Tongynk had all been signed in January, and none of them came as a surprise when they were announced. This time things seem to be different - apart from Brattan there is zero talk about other HAL players being on the WSW radar.

This would suggest that the reinforcements will be coming from overseas, and may they be plentiful, skilled, experienced, pacey, ambitious, professional, fearless, and scary to the opposition. Also, it would be really nice if Aussie Patrick could fully recover from his pre-season knee injury, and have his passport situation sorted.

I agree with what you're saying and Babbel obviously has identified issues early on.

The real question is, and its getting asked more and more now, is what has he done to address those deficiencies? Highlighting them is one thing. Fixing them is another. Saying "the players are crap I need new ones" is only half the answer because you have a whole season to do something and a whole preseason for that matter.

Everything listed above is fixable via preseason and training.

Agree also with the amount of points we've thrown away. But if the above list was fixed or addressed, they wouldn't have been thrown away.

I'm not Babbel Out btw. I've gone on record (latest was on this week's ATB) that I want to see him recruit a backline because his recruits HAVE been good (injuries aside). But he has until rounds 6-8 to be top 3 next season.

Its the #NoExcusesForRealThisTime season.

16 minutes ago, Erebus said:

I agree with what you're saying and Babbel obviously has identified issues early on.

The real question is, and its getting asked more and more now, is what has he done to address those deficiencies? Highlighting them is one thing. Fixing them is another. Saying "the players are crap I need new ones" is only half the answer because you have a whole season to do something and a whole preseason for that matter.

Everything listed above is fixable via preseason and training.

Agree also with the amount of points we've thrown away. But if the above list was fixed or addressed, they wouldn't have been thrown away.

I'm not Babbel Out btw. I've gone on record (latest was on this week's ATB) that I want to see him recruit a backline because his recruits HAVE been good (injuries aside). But he has until rounds 6-8 to be top 3 next season.

Its the #NoExcusesForRealThisTime season.

Yes next season Babbel will really get it from us if he hasn't addressed the issues in the squad.

So far to fix these 'lingering' issues he's essentially made three players accountable - Tongyik & Fitzgerald & Nizic - three players who weren't even here before this season... So if these issues have been lingering in the background for several years, seems a very strange way to deal with it. 

I think we got the balance wrong with MB & JP. Its bad cop & bad cop. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic