Babbel out?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion:

• Does Babbel deserve another season to clear out some players, rebuild the squad and impart his "mentality"?
    • Do we cut out losses (either at the end of the season or asap) and start the search again?

On 07/02/2019 at 9:48 PM, Taurus said:

We were undefeated under Foxe & well on the way to the title after 5 / 6 weeks 

On 07/02/2019 at 10:07 PM, mack said:

And we fell apart and it finished 2-2.

Foxe is a tactical lightweight. Got completely exposed in our game against Adelaide in the FFA Cup.

On the Foxe vs Gombwow debate, Foxe would have kept the Popa template but struggled to change or implement his own personality on the team but that wasn’t his job. He was a caretaker manager.

To be honest if we knew what was to come after Foxe then I’m sure the majority of us would have put up with his tactical inflexibility if it meant that we were competitive for the remainder of the season.

On 08/02/2019 at 11:36 AM, FCB said:

Thanks. Cruising the south pacific, without internet and mobile phone access, but plenty of food and alcohol instead, can be quite therapeutic. Less can be said about this season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGqGHMO294

I think you had the right idea :lol: 

On 08/02/2019 at 2:16 PM, Smoggy said:

Do yourself a favour..skip the Jets highlights...

(I realize this is incredibly late) but just skip the highlights entirely. It’s been a real hard slog this 2019 year.

On 09/02/2019 at 4:13 PM, Cynth said:

Wow how far the negativity has come.

I have attended pretty much every home match this year and over the season I have witnessed that the more negative the coach got, the more negative the spectators got. Around me at the last few games have been people calling out “idiot”, or worse to players, and shouting at players about how bad they are. The last two games we have booed our own team off the pitch. 

Lucky not to have much of that around us but I must admit I am joining in the pisstakes when it comes to our team. Better to laugh than cry.

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

to be fair it wasnt his best outfit :P

Fixed :D 

5 hours ago, FCB said:
  • It appears that Ziegler is out for the season, and one has to wonder how a straightforward meniscus operation can go so wrong. It usually takes six weeks, not six months.
  • That no injury replacement was signed for Bridgey was a major issue, that's were the club should have stepped up, in my view. Besides, that he trained the way he did just about qualifies as self mutilation.
  •  The club was clearly very much pissed off with him

Re: Bridge, I assume that it was one where his return date kept on getting pushed back & back. Very much a similar story to Shannon cole & lustica in the past. Setbacks happen. 

Ziegler pushed himself to come back earlier than when his body was ready. Admirable that he pushed himself to get back ASAP but turned a minor lay off into a season ending layoff.

What happened to Baccus is the exact same thing that killed us when we lost Jamison. When you leave so close to the start of the season, hard to get a player of a similar value or quality to fit the same gap. That’s why we got Mahazi & not the player we needed.

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

spoke to a friend at the club while watching the great man train after the match and they said that he kept getting re-injuring himself, and that's why he was always two weeks away, hence why we couldn't get an injury replacement. **** happens. 

Speaking of Babbel's mentality presser... Watch this YT vid.. he is SPOT ON with how players react in modern day football after a win/loss.

From 2:05 onwards

Edited by wanderersfanatic

13 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

spoke to a friend at the club while watching the great man train after the match and they said that he kept getting re-injuring himself, and that's why he was always two weeks away, hence why we couldn't get an injury replacement. **** happens. 

yeah that's how I keep interpreting the injury status news. Either he injures something else, or goes too hard too soon because he's eager to get back. Hence why no injury replacement.

Think I speculated as such on ATB one week.

Gee, makes you wonder if re-employing someone  who went to thailand for a season to have a cruisy last paycheque and didn't end up playing much at all was the best idea, hey.

On 10/02/2019 at 5:10 PM, sonar said:

Agree with this...... but the results on the field are saying something else.

During the commentary of last nights game Simon Hill gave out a stat that was extraordinary..........I'm happy to be corrected if I have this wrong but .......we have been in front and then have gone on to lose or draw 16 times this season. That's an amazing amount of games to be leading and then capitulate..........

Maybe a mix of the antics of last season making Cornthwaite leave the club which more than likely still would have been with us for this season.. More though what we have been left with in back line just hasn't been good enough even with a ex-world class defender coaching them.. It seems only the young ones are taking it on board, Russell & Tokich have impressed me under MB

34 minutes ago, MistahCampoy said:

Maybe a mix of the antics of last season making Cornthwaite leave the club which more than likely still would have been with us for this season.. More though what we have been left with in back line just hasn't been good enough even with a ex-world class defender coaching them.. It seems only the young ones are taking it on board, Russell & Tokich have impressed me under MB

I think Babbel is trying to undo the damage from the past two seasons to be fair.

Popovic's last season was not a good one either ( his recruiting was terrible.....look at the squad he signed for Perth this season......where was that 2 seasons ago with us......instead we got Jumpei, Borda,Pinatares,Cejudo.... ffs ) where we just made 6th and then got knocked out on penalties,(thank you in part to the Five Dock Neymyar who got sent off after coming on as a sub....lol) 

I'm Babbel in but that doesn't mean he should be free from criticism. The results are terrible,players have made some awful,awful mistakes repeatedly in some cases and I, and many more agree & rightly so,  would be just as critical of any manager who has won just 3 of 18 games.

Get the squad injury free.....sign some decent replacements for those that are going....(our two marquees will be so important to get right).....and we will be in a better place next season  than we are now.

40 minutes ago, sonar said:

I think Babbel is trying to undo the damage from the past two seasons to be fair.

Popovic's last season was not a good one either ( his recruiting was terrible.....look at the squad he signed for Perth this season......where was that 2 seasons ago with us......instead we got Jumpei, Borda,Pinatares,Cejudo.... ffs )

That was more or less his reason for leaving wasn't it. Couldn't get what he wanted.

1 minute ago, marron said:

That was more or less his reason for leaving wasn't it. Couldn't get what he wanted.

Happy to stand corrected if I have it wrong marron but my understanding was that if he wanted a player he had the final say so.

2 hours ago, marron said:

Gee, makes you wonder if re-employing someone  who went to thailand for a season to have a cruisy last paycheque and didn't end up playing much at all was the best idea, hey.

**** you it was the best idea the club has had

..... was part of that deal signing him back again though?

20 hours ago, marron said:

Was it? He had total control, all the signings he made & recruitment falls on Popa.

22 hours ago, marron said:

The only thing that was my concern was after his injury in Thailand he was never the same when he came back, seemed like he lost a yard of pace but perhaps he was never intended to play as much as he did last season. Maybe to be one of the older heads in the team to get the younger ones in line.

On top, just cause he wanted to get one last paycheque, doesn’t mean he wanted to call his career. Look at Topa, 6 months overseas & then signs for Newcastle 

15 hours ago, marron said:

..... was part of that deal signing him back again though?

20 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

**** you it was the best idea the club has had

14 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Was it? He had total control, all the signings he made & recruitment falls on Popa.

He had total control within the budget allocated to him. If he couldn't get the players he wanted because the owners weren't willing to invest then he can't do much.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the club decided to write off the three seasons away from home and focus on the academy while letting the rest just tick over. Would explain why Popa was so keen to get out in a hurry and why he would accept a job that looked so obviously shaky to everyone from the outset. He had to deal with it in 16/17, saw it wasn't getting any better last year and got out.

2 hours ago, Davo said:

He had total control within the budget allocated to him. If he couldn't get the players he wanted because the owners weren't willing to invest then he can't do much.

We know the club uses the entire salary cap (impossible to spend 100% when you have incomings & outgoings but that’s why you’ve got salary cap banking). One season Jumps was considered a marquee, the following season we would have had 10x% (105-110) to use.

We know uses the clubs full allocation of youth contracts but unsure of the other bonuses (loyalty bonuses)

We tried to sign a “Tim Cahill Marquee Spot” but he wasn’t tim Cahill. We signed two marquees for that final season, more than we’d spent in our entire 5 seasons. In the first week of the season he left, you can’t say that he didn’t have everything he asked.

——————

Personally I don’t think the club ever writes off seasons but perhaps knew we weren’t going to be challenging for the tittle for season 2-3 at SOP.

Season 1, I thought we had a solid team to challenge for the post season Cup. Popa leaving in week 1 of season 2 really burned the club, he left us high & dry. If you think signing a quality (Australian) player is possible, try finding a coach a few weeks into the season. Gombau had big ambitions when he took over but a few weeks in when results didn’t go our way, he changed tune.

Seasob 3, I think the club expected a lot more from Babbel but early on it appeared that we had massive squad issues this year. No second marquee this year so perhaps they had a eye towards next year.

It feels more like the reason for the improved performance of Popa in Perth is due to them using Salary guidelines, rather than the salary cap. I think Tony Sage would do anything to get his team in Asia. And its not like they haven't stretched it in the past.

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Salary guidelines

Can I fix this for you? They are finally using creative salary cap accounting than in previous attempts :lol:

Unless I'm mistaken, Popa probably had one of the most expensive squads before he left.  Riera and Cejudo were not cheap.  I vaguely remember $1.5-2 million mark??  He had the squad he chose and probably the most expensive he ever had - he can't complain about that!  It was a naive and ultimately stupid decision to go to Turkey and he probably thought he might be better than he really was.

As others have commented, Popa has either convinced several Aussies to come to Perth for 'nothing' or they are employing more creative accounting.  Perhaps they learned from last time and won't be easily caught this time???

1 hour ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

As others have commented, Popa has either convinced several Aussies to come to Perth for 'n

Brown paper bags ftw, no more players living in Perth's HQ/offices & stupid bleeding obvious attempts that can be traced/paper trail.