Auf Wiedersehen Spotless

Rocked up expecting nothing against the leaders and we got something out of it and better still I thought we were good for it, not because we were superior but because we showed heart and when Duke came on we had a bit of hunger as well.  Tass was great especially as we played one less in the back and 2 of the back 3 were 19 years of age, that is a massive effort to keep them to one.  

Before the game I was fearing the worse, when they scored I thought oh well we lasted 25mins ....a lot more than what I expected. 

Just before the end of the 1st half we showed a bit more promise and that continued in the second half. We should have had a couple of good chances if they decides to shoot rather than pass backward. ABJ looked out of form and when Duke & Bridge came in we started to show some urgency and ' mentality' . 

A point well deserved.....in fact it felt like a win😊 and what makes it even sweeter is that we don't have to go to soulless anymore. 

30 minutes ago, bombagol said:

Denying 4 points from the runaway league leaders is pretty good (even though we only gained 2 points for ourselves in the process).  But so far no other team has managed to deny them that many points this season.  We da best!

If you look at the 3recent results, the team is the second form team with 2 wins and a draw which is the same as Perth. Admittedly,  the beat Melb Victory 2-1 and Brisbane Roar 4-0 in their last 2 games. We beat CCM in a crap match and Adelaide in a tougher game. 

The next against Brisbane away will be interesting. Taggart, like Maclaren,  has been our nemesis this season and he is gonski...... if the team can play with the same intensity over the 90 odd minutes plus stoppage time, they will be doing us proud. 

So, for now, it's in Markus we trust.

When I first saw Tarek’s goal at the game, I thought it was a cross that luckily ended up inside the far post, just like 2 weeks ago against the Mariners. 

But now the more I look at it on replays, the more it looks like it was really a shot, so well done Tarek!

See what happens when you shoot faaarken?

Edited by bombagol
Just now, Upthehill said:

Elrich - quality footballer. Never doubted him. 6 year deal please Babbel

I would keep him for another year but only as a squaddie or injury replacement. Got caught out a few time this season with a lack of pace. 

Football eh. Me and the misses were saying at 90 mins, 1 nil down against a good Perth team and we were happy just to out of there - for good.

Thinking about this season verses last, you can see the team improving unlike last year. Ok its all a bit late but a few more wins and I think we can look forward to next season with a bit more optimism.

5 minutes ago, leslie said:

Football eh. Me and the misses were saying at 90 mins, 1 nil down against a good Perth team and we were happy just to out of there - for good.

Thinking about this season verses last, you can see the team improving unlike last year. Ok its all a bit late but a few more wins and I think we can look forward to next season with a bit more optimism.

Agree.  And the experience these guys like Russell, Mourdoukatous, O'Doherty, Bacchus, Majok, Tokich and even Tokich and Nizic have got should set them up beautifully for next season as well if we can hold on to them.

'Auf Wiedersehen' =  see (you) again

Should be "Verpiss dich" or "Niemals wieder" (look em up)

As to the game itself, it was one of those quintessential sokkah matches that keep you hooked to the club and the sport. Obviously we were the lesser quality team, and with injuries, suspensions and other issues hurting our squad, well it could've been a shellacking. However, unlike far too many games this season those who were on the pitch neither lost the drive to do what they could, nor made any monumental blunders. If one looks at our season we have seen far too many self-inflicted defeats and far too many lacklustre efforts kill our hopes when the refs haven't robbed us, but thankfully last night these circumstances failed to repeat.

Thought Popa's Cap Busters were threatening for only a few passages of the game, and to be honest his limitations as a coach we all saw in past seasons when he was our gaffer were on show last night. They were set up and played for a grinding win and went back in their shell with 10 men behind the ball way too often. Thankfully that gave us the space to find our feet and some go forward especially in the second half.

As for our gaffer, Babbel sprung a surprise here and there (Majok WTF lol) but he did well. One of the frustrating thinsg about our team this season is at times they have played with finesse and tekkers way beyond expectations, however it's usually led to nothing in the way of goals, or even worse meaningless turnovers. Kamau was the epitome of that last night. I wished time and time again that he and the others when in the Perf defensive third did less tikki-takka stuff and did some good old fashioned bombing forward, cut out passing to work into space, as opposed to pirouetting into 2-3 oppo players.

There's no doubt we were the better team in the second half, and there were pleasing signs from some of our players (Snakes with a nice save, Roly always problematic, Tass solid at CB, Majok putting in hard yards). However it's easy to see that the bulk of our roster is not good enough to do more than play gamely and jag wins here and there.A good portion of the current squad need to be let go if we are to threaten a top four finish next season.

Finally, the whole Soulless debacle was more awful than anyone could've reasonably expected, and if there is one thing to celebrate aside from Tarek's wonder goal, it's that we should never ever have to turn up at the turd-sink ever again. It has been like a festering suppurating haemorrhoid on our club, and it should be left to those who deserve, the mindless flogs who get erect watching Hell Drivers circle around it during the Royal Easter Show, or those karnts at GWS/Maunka Midgets.

52 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

'Auf Wiedersehen' =  see (you) again

Should be "Verpiss dich" or "Niemals wieder" (look em up)

As to the game itself, it was one of those quintessential sokkah matches that keep you hooked to the club and the sport. Obviously we were the lesser quality team, and with injuries, suspensions and other issues hurting our squad, well it could've been a shellacking. However, unlike far too many games this season those who were on the pitch neither lost the drive to do what they could, nor made any monumental blunders. If one looks at our season we have seen far too many self-inflicted defeats and far too many lacklustre efforts kill our hopes when the refs haven't robbed us, but thankfully last night these circumstances failed to repeat.

Thought Popa's Cap Busters were threatening for only a few passages of the game, and to be honest his limitations as a coach we all saw in past seasons when he was our gaffer were on show last night. They were set up and played for a grinding win and went back in their shell with 10 men behind the ball way too often. Thankfully that gave us the space to find our feet and some go forward especially in the second half.

As for our gaffer, Babbel sprung a surprise here and there (Majok WTF lol) but he did well. One of the frustrating thinsg about our team this season is at times they have played with finesse and tekkers way beyond expectations, however it's usually led to nothing in the way of goals, or even worse meaningless turnovers. Kamau was the epitome of that last night. I wished time and time again that he and the others when in the Perf defensive third did less tikki-takka stuff and did some good old fashioned bombing forward, cut out passing to work into space, as opposed to pirouetting into 2-3 oppo players.

There's no doubt we were the better team in the second half, and there were pleasing signs from some of our players (Snakes with a nice save, Roly always problematic, Tass solid at CB, Majok putting in hard yards). However it's easy to see that the bulk of our roster is not good enough to do more than play gamely and jag wins here and there.A good portion of the current squad need to be let go if we are to threaten a top four finish next season.

Finally, the whole Soulless debacle was more awful than anyone could've reasonably expected, and if there is one thing to celebrate aside from Tarek's wonder goal, it's that we should never ever have to turn up at the turd-sink ever again. It has been like a festering suppurating haemorrhoid on our club, and it should be left to those who deserve, the mindless flogs who get erect watching Hell Drivers circle around it during the Royal Easter Show, or those karnts at GWS/Maunka Midgets.

I don't agree.

I think the tide has turned. MB suggests that Duke might available as starting player in Brisbane. Yeboah and Bridgey both should at least be on the bench. Treejack should have overcome the echo of his injury as well. Hamill will be back, Tarek finally will have been able to enjoy a break and recharge the batteries. Roly perhaps moving back into JoD's position. That sounds very different to the fortified youth squad scenarios we've had on the pitch for weeks. All that is missing is Riera re-discovering within himself the player that he was last year. That'll be an outfit no one will want to play against.

Our season starts now! :-)

1 minute ago, FCB said:

I don't agree.

I think the tide has turned. MB suggests that Duke might available as starting player in Brisbane. Yeboah and Bridgey both should at least be on the bench. Treejack should have overcome the echo of his injury as well. Hamill will be back, Tarek finally will have been able to enjoy a break and recharge the batteries. Roly perhaps moving back into JoD's position. That sounds very different to the fortified youth squad scenarios we've had on the pitch for weeks. All that is missing is Riera re-discovering within himself the player that he was last year. That'll be an outfit no one will want to play against.

Our season starts now! :-)

Bulk of our squad has been bog standard this season and if anyone thinks the likes of Snakes, Tarek, Riera, Hamill, Llorente, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Nizic, Mahazi deserve renewal or retaining existing contracts then I'll eat a bucketful. Baumjohann is borderline as is Roly, and we've already been shot of Scott, Tongyk & Risdon. Fat Head is retiring so that's a big chunk of Babbel's mob.

We've got some decent looking youff emerging, Duke & Yeboah look the goods for next season, and like to think Ziegler's injury woes will come good. We don't have the ability or class to consistently scare our oppo yet, but there is hope.

10 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Bulk of our squad has been bog standard this season and if anyone thinks the likes of Snakes, Tarek, Riera, Hamill, Llorente, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Nizic, Mahazi deserve renewal or retaining existing contracts then I'll eat a bucketful. Baumjohann is borderline as is Roly, and we've already been shot of Scott, Tongyk & Risdon. Fat Head is retiring so that's a big chunk of Babbel's mob.

We've got some decent looking youff emerging, Duke & Yeboah look the goods for next season, and like to think Ziegler's injury woes will come good. We don't have the ability or class to consistently scare our oppo yet, but there is hope.

Again, I don't agree.

We have been playing with motley crews for all of the season, to varying degrees. All our imports were injured at some stage, a few senior players were found out and fell by the way side (Raul, Nizic, Fitzgerald, Tongynk, Scott). Tarek and Hamill were forced to play non stop, and at times they were made look worse than they are. Mahazi didn't have a pre season, worked individually with the fitness coach for a month away from the team, and going by yesterday's game he's caught up. For the remainder of the season, with Bridgey, Duke, Yeboah, Sotirio, and Majok available, we will not have to talk about Fitzgerald and Kamau again.

Going by the last three games, the playing group is finally doing what the coaches wanted them to do. We start to look good. Let's see what happens in Brisbane.

Next season: Ziegler returns, players like Brattan Mileusnic and maybe Davidson to join, plus maybe someone like Kirchhoff and a quality striker, and we'll be pumping.

47 minutes ago, FCB said:

Again, I don't agree.

We have been playing with motley crews for all of the season, to varying degrees. All our imports were injured at some stage, a few senior players were found out and fell by the way side (Raul, Nizic, Fitzgerald, Tongynk, Scott). Tarek and Hamill were forced to play non stop, and at times they were made look worse than they are. Mahazi didn't have a pre season, worked individually with the fitness coach for a month away from the team, and going by yesterday's game he's caught up. For the remainder of the season, with Bridgey, Duke, Yeboah, Sotirio, and Majok available, we will not have to talk about Fitzgerald and Kamau again.

Going by the last three games, the playing group is finally doing what the coaches wanted them to do. We start to look good. Let's see what happens in Brisbane.

Next season: Ziegler returns, players like Brattan Mileusnic and maybe Davidson to join, plus maybe someone like Kirchhoff and a quality striker, and we'll be pumping.

Out of interest, what was it that the players were not doing that they should have been? Or was it just general game plan they have ignored?