Wellington Demolish Wanderers

A first half blitz from Wellington Phoenix has seen the Western Sydney Wanderers comprehensively defeated 3-1 in Wellington tonight, putting the visitors on the brink of mathmatical elimination from the A-League finals race.

The Wanderers first half was abysmal, with the losses of Keanu Baccus & Tass Mourdoukoutas to a youth national team camp leading to the return of Tarek Elrich to the central defensive role. Wellington opened the scoring in the 12th minute, Tate Russel sent a hospital pass to Brendan Hamill and it was intercepted by Roy Krishna, who narrowed in on goal, before telegraphing a shot to the near post that Vedran Janjetovic couldn't stop despite the acute angle and forewarning.

Wellington had their second in the 22nd minute, a long range free kick lobbed over the wall while Janjetovic stood like a statue on his line, not even attempting a save. The game was secured for the home side in the 32nd minute, as Wellington passed around the edge of the area until it fell to David Williams, he was left unmarked by Kamau and Williams fired a curling shot into the top corner.

Midway through the second half Alexander Baumjohann had the opportunity to start a salvage operation in the 70th minute, when VAR turned a edge of the area free kick for a foul on Bruce Kamau into a penalty. The Wanderers attacking midfielder stepped up and put his shot horribly wide.

The Wanderers huffed and puffed, eventually hitting the back of the Wellington net in the 86th minute. Riera was wide on the left hand wing, lobbed a cross into the middle that Mitch Duke glanced the ball with his head for a 3-1 scoreline. Western Sydney were unable to close the gap further and a late red card to Krishna did little more than waste the last few minutes the game had.

Western Sydney play Melbourne City at the Homebush Olympic Stadium on Saturday the 30th of March at 7:50PM.

View full article

Just now, sonar said:

Time to give the treatment to those that won't be here next season.....play them as subs at best. I'd rather give game time to those that are staying or putting in. 

You have to put 11 players on the field 

1 minute ago, octa9ona11 said:

Ill be in Cambodia for the up coming derby.....and its still not far enough away from it for me. This team just finds new ways to let me down, then gives a false glimmer of hope just so they can slam dunk another round of pain. Dark times.

You sound like me posting about Everton 

44 minutes ago, sonar said:

Time to give the treatment to those that won't be here next season.....play them as subs at best. I'd rather give game time to those that are staying or putting in. 

We entering a 5-a-side comp next game?

Utterly underwhelming and obvious that there are a few of our guys who cannot sustain any hunger or energy in playing good football. No doubt the absences in the squad re Olyroo selections hurt us, and with two key players gone for the season we are weak as in the spine. However it seemed like the same old story with a few of our lads who have been on the outer recently (Llorente, Baumjohann) and from those who looked to have lifted these last few weeks (Tarek, Roly, Riera). Can forgive Russell for his stuff up that led to the first goal...has happened to better, more experienced players than him. Not sure how much blame to apportion to Snakes...thought he tried his best for the first & third goals, and suspect that second was just unsaveable. Duke seemed tired and Gallifuoco is short of a run.

Really expected much better, not surprised it didn't eventuate.

Oh...this is no excuse or even a rational explanation. However, I wonder what role (if any) the events of the last 48 hours have had on all involved. Nominally you would think this shouldn't resonate or effect professional players, whether our lads or Wellington's. And yet...

4 minutes ago, mack said:

You get good distance but lack direction?

I started playing about a week ago....got invited to join a foursome game....two players per team, .......sort of declined at first but said ok but told the guy I was terrible.....after 3 holes he said to me ..."  geez.. you are terrible aren't you"...........lol

2 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

We entering a 5-a-side comp next game?

Utterly underwhelming and obvious that there are a few of our guys who cannot sustain any hunger or energy in playing good football. No doubt the absences in the squad re Olyroo selections hurt us, and with two key players gone for the season we are weak as in the spine. However it seemed like the same old story with a few of our lads who have been on the outer recently (Llorente, Baumjohann) and from those who looked to have lifted these last few weeks (Tarek, Roly, Riera). Can forgive Russell for his stuff up that led to the first goal...has happened to better, more experienced players than him. Not sure how much blame to apportion to Snakes...thought he tried his best for the first & third goals, and suspect that second was just unsaveable. Duke seemed tired and Gallifuoco is short of a run.

Really expected much better, not surprised it didn't eventuate.

Oh...this is no excuse or even a rational explanation. However, I wonder what role (if any) the events of the last 48 hours have had on all involved. Nominally you would think this shouldn't resonate or effect professional players, whether our lads or Wellington's. And yet...

I sort of thought the same thing..... the c*** going on a rampage coming from here. ( Aus ) 

On football....... there has to come a time when you have to say enough is enough though. The same supposed pros putting in another sub standard performance.....what does the manager do ? 

3 minutes ago, sonar said:

I sort of thought the same thing..... the c*** going on a rampage coming from here. ( Aus ) 

On football....... there has to come a time when you have to say enough is enough though. The same supposed pros putting in another sub standard performance.....what does the manager do ? 

My thinking is that perhaps our boys may have been a little subdued by what has happened (especially Tarek), whilst the Nix lads may have wanted to do something special to try and negate all the sorrow. I am probably off beam, but the emotion of a tragedy can affect people in different ways, even in sport.

As for the lack of putting in, it's patently obvious that a good swathe of our lads cannot do it consistently. Babbel has tried sweet and sour and they've not responded like those of us who recall the season one team expect. Losing when you're outplayed is hard, but it happens. Losing when you can't stay 'up' for more than a couple of rounds...sorry, that's unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

I have been a big ABJ supporter - some of the stuff he showed early in season was as good from a technical and vision perspective as I have seen for wsw.

But he clearly doesn't have any heart at all. Has packed it in when things got a bit rough. Massively disappointing given what he is capable of.

MB has been 100% right to bench him. What a **** example to set for our younger players.

**** that guy.

Technically he has been one of our best creative mids.

But the desire, the passion to do all he can? Almost non-existent.

If there was a straight choice between Baumjohann and Saba I'd lean heavily towards the latter.

10 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

I have been a big ABJ supporter - some of the stuff he showed early in season was as good from a technical and vision perspective as I have seen for wsw.

But he clearly doesn't have any heart at all. Has packed it in when things got a bit rough. Massively disappointing given what he is capable of.

MB has been 100% right to bench him. What a **** example to set for our younger players.

**** that guy.

Have to agree...in his mind he is still a player at a decent Euro club....

But he is crocked and doesnt have the heart or desire to get stuck in to a comp at the arse end of the world like the HAL.

Edited by Smoggy
48 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Losing when you're outplayed is hard, but it happens. Losing when you can't stay 'up' for more than a couple of rounds...sorry, that's unacceptable.

The former has happened too many times, you'd be lucky to count on one hand the amount of times it's happened this season.

48 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

My thinking is that perhaps our boys may have been a little subdued by what has happened (especially Tarek), whilst the Nix lads may have wanted to do something special to try and negate all the sorrow. I am probably off beam, but the emotion of a tragedy can affect people in different ways, even in sport.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly but we have had too many performances this season that reflected what we saw today. If it was an outlier I can understand but it wasn't, it is just one in a long list of many this season.

1 hour ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

No doubt the absences in the squad re Olyroo selections hurt us, and with two key players gone for the season we are weak as in the spine. 

Does this excuse us conceding 3 goals by half time? Tass & Baccus are two of our spine now but it's not like Llorente (who is on the beach) was the cause of our goals but that midfield pairing isn't going to win us anything. I feel that it's too easy to blame the 3 goals & rubbish performance on the olyroo selection.

41 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Have to agree...in his mind he is still a player at a decent Euro club....

But he is crocked and doesnt have the heart or desire to get stuck in to a comp at the arse end of the world like the HAL.

If he has the heart he’d be in Europe he doesn’t 

23 minutes ago, Bellby said:

So are we ever going to see Fitzgerald again or do we need our 24th & 25th members of the squad to go down with injuries first? 

**** the politics, pick your best team. Pick players willing to play for the shirt not the paycheque.  

It’s not politics he just isn’t very good

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

He is here rather than Europe because his body is ****ed....he should retire....

Remember when we had crocked or injured players like Hersi & Polenz who responded to the challenge of their situations and grabbed their opportunities to hook in and give their all?

Long time ago hey

2 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

No effect IMO really. They were  just better than us on the day.