Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

12 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

The Libs being classy as ever in Wentworth...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/07/wentworth-byelection-liberals-attack-kerryn-phelps-with-nasty-pamphlets

I notice their candidate has 'declined' to be involved in the debate...

So their campaign is based on defamation and attack. No policy debate....pathetic. 

Why does such a nasty, nasty, venomous, self interested individual like Alan Jones not get his comeuppance (sp??)

Where is Karma when it comes to this bloke??

Prattling on today about how "the people" have been given the Opera House sails today?   :xmad:

6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Why does such a nasty, nasty, venomous, self interested individual like Alan Jones not get his comeuppance (sp??)

Prattling on today about how "the people" have been given the Opera House sails today?   :xmad:

Nice to see you participating on the Not Politics Thread Wendy!  :xbop:

Except this belongs on the Australian Not Politics Thread. ;)

:pardon:

14 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

Nice to see you participating on the Not Politics Thread Wendy!  :xbop:

Except this belongs on the Australian Not Politics Thread. ;)

:pardon:

Oh dammit!

You got me!

:fool:

10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Firstly, as much as it pains me to say this, He, Jones, has the right, like all of us, to express an opinion. What he doesn't have is the right to bully,belittle or berate publicly people who disagree with him. He over stepped the mark there. His apology today to the head od the Opera House is actually a hollow one as he knows his bullying and belittlement got the desired result. Advertisers are starting to get sick and tired of the way he carries on and are starting to pull the pin. That is where the karma will come. 

(I'm sure with a bit of research you could link Jones and his comments about the Opera House and advertising to people who advertise on his shows or donate to political parties he is a supporter of.) 

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Firstly, as much as it pains me to say this, He, Jones, has the right, like all of us, to express an opinion. What he doesn't have is the right to bully,belittle or berate publicly people who disagree with him. He over stepped the mark there. His apology today to the head od the Opera House is actually a hollow one as he knows his bullying and belittlement got the desired result. Advertisers are starting to get sick and tired of the way he carries on and are starting to pull the pin. That is where the karma will come. 

(I'm sure with a bit of research you could link Jones and his comments about the Opera House and advertising to people who advertise on his shows or donate to political parties he is a supporter of.) 

He owns a horse I think???

You're maybe right...but the advertisers withdrawing never seems to happen.

He's been doing what he does FOREVER... and just gets away with it.

Even when he gets a mega fine...it's water off a duck's back.

It's sickening!.

someone in state parliament must be spreading a dirt list on a certain minister for western sydney.  Seen a few links to old articles and his racehorse ownership status, along with a couple of links to articles pointing out the whole opera house thing was his idea

14 minutes ago, Johnno said:

someone in state parliament must be spreading a dirt list on a certain minister for western sydney.  Seen a few links to old articles and his racehorse ownership status, along with a couple of links to articles pointing out the whole opera house thing was his idea

My bet it is Gladys....she may have bowed to pressure from Jones's ranting and has been made to look weak so now she is fighting back against those in her party who started it....in particular one Stuart "I love the AFL and Alan Jones" Ayers.

Well Uncle Alan has been receiving a lot of attention since the Chaser published a video advertising his telephone number on the Opera House:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/09/alan-jones-says-he-now-regrets-on-air-tirade-against-sydney-opera-house-boss

Yeah, he regrets it because of this:

Jones said on Tuesday morning said that the “haters have marshalled themselves”.

“It’s just impossible; there are anonymous phone calls on my phone every minute,” he said.

:lol:

"Sorry, your mum bought you a school uniform that mixed wool & linen. Burn in hell sinner and get out of school right now."

"We bought it from you!"

Bought to you by such wonderful godly laws as not plowing with a donkey & ox on the same yoke, 4 verses about what to do if your brother's ox or sheep strays, men & women not wearing the same clothes (who decides exactly what type of clothing is which gender is left unspecified), about building railings around your new house, not sowing vineyards with two types of seeds, being fined 100 shekels if you accuse a woman of not being a virgin without evidence, and basic stuff like capital punishment for adultery.

I think let them refuse who they want to refuse. Why would any parent of a gay kid want them to go to a school where the leaders are likely to discriminate against them? I'd prefer to know what I was getting my kid in for, rather than a school being forced to accept my kid and then you find out their scores are low because of bias, or the teachers bully them etc.

BUT, if they do refuse gay kids, then they get no government assistance at all. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Speaking of cakes, apparently this legislation won't make it legal for the wedding cake shop that refused to make cakes for gay marriages. I say let all businesses decide who they will allow to use their services. They have to live with the consequences though. That means other couples refusing to go that shop for their own wedding cakes. If a business is doing so well that it can turn away clients, there must be enough people who believe in it.

The thing that confuses me about this legislation is why it's "religious freedoms".  Surely it's just freedoms in general?  There is no need to spell out religious freedoms. The beliefs of the people will win out when it comes to consumerism. And when it comes to religious people, they can have their own little world. But they have to stand on their own two feet, no government handouts.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic