Sign in to follow this  
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

7 hours ago, Paul01 said:

More rats departing the sinking ship

Scott Morrison moves Linda Reynolds into cabinet after more high-profile departures https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/02/scott-morrison-moves-linda-reynolds-into-cabinet-after-more-high-profile-departures?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Whilst I can see his desperation in getting a few more women into key positions....Linda Reynolds isn't going to give them much street cred

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

On 28/02/2019 at 11:30 AM, ManfredSchaefer said:

Worst aspect of this is that there IS cause for those in the bush to scream bloody murder at the way their lives have been damaged by the political status quo. The Menindee/Darling River fish kill is a perfect example of policy being set by the big end of town in cahoots with those who should be representing the people on the land. Of course the party that was designed from the outset to be their representatives, the National (aka Country) Party has as its leader one of the most mendacious arseholes in our existing polity, Barnaby 'Shag the Staff' Joyce. He's the rotten apple at the top of the rotten tree, but as has been shown with the example of Tony Windsor, the appetite to change their 'own' party is very limited. It isn't helped by an ALP that has also become disengaged from the bush.

It's hard to not feel both angry at and sad for those trying to live and work outside the big smoke...it may be patronising but perhaps what it boils down to is that they are reaping what they've sown through decades of conservative dogmatism.

Sadly true...but hopefully change is afoot.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/01/how-the-rise-of-the-bush-independents-threatens-coalitions-big-names

i didnt know kristina keneally is a religious nut, she is pretty much the female tony abbott

38 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i didnt know kristina keneally is a religious nut, she is pretty much the female tony abbott

Heard her speak on the whole Pell thing the other day, religious she may be but tony abbot she ain’t 

Just now, StringerBellend said:

Heard her speak on the whole Pell thing the other day, religious she may be but tony abbot she ain’t 

lol i wasnt serious about the 2nd thing, i just never thought she was a religious person, she def isnt a blind religious person though

13 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

lol i wasnt serious about the 2nd thing, i just never thought she was a religious person, she def isnt a blind religious person though

Apparently she has a degree in theology 

the interview she did on abc lately was interesting she spoke about her dissappointment in Catholic Church response and how she can no longer volunteer her time and money to support such a flawed institution 

After watching Four Corners and QandA yesterday:

Pell is cooked. Even if his appeal is successful and he walks away from jail, his reputation is now so damaged that he would have to leave the country. But where would he go? If the Vatican is serious about its new found morality and "zero tolerance", Pell is bound to be defrocked, and could not hide in the Vatican any longer. But maybe the guys who wrote him blazing character references will have him as a couch surfer?

The comments of Sullivan and KK would suggest that the Catholic Church in its current form has exceeded it's expiry date in Australia. The top-down boys club which sees itself somehow superior to mere mortals is a remnant from a different time and age. These clowns not only believe in the fairy tales their predecessors made up, they also act on them.

Viv Waller said that she has been representing thousands of victims. Thousands! It really makes you wonder what forces are in charge here in Australia that allowed this national disgrace to linger for as long as it has. Why has everyone been so quiet about this? Where is or was the outrage of politicians, media, and society at large? What is wrong with people??

And just as a reminder: Howard, Abbott, Bolt, Devine - they are covering the guy who covered this guy https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/15/paedophile-priest-gerald-ridsdale-abused-girl-on-church-altar-victorian-court-told

Well said! The lawyer on QandA last night was wonderful. She had an amazing grasp of the problem, better than I would expect for a lawyer. She truly is a hero of justice and ethics! 

The separation of Church and State goes both ways. 

Let’s remember that. 

1 minute ago, Legionista said:

The separation of Church and State goes both ways. 

Let’s remember that. 

What do you mean?

8 hours ago, FCB said:

These clowns not only believe in the fairy tales their predecessors made up, they also act on them.

TBH, it's hard to believe that most in the hierarchy of this tainted and archaic institution believe in anything.

I really can't image those who have been part of the paedophile networks, and those who covered for them, seriously engaging in nightly Bible study, or praying to any sort of God.

The top-down boys club which sees itself somehow superior to mere mortals is a remnant from a different time and age.

Well put.

Outside of this sordid affair, they should also start to treat religions like the businesses they are. They should be asked to account for every last drop of cash they get, and all profits should go back to the community, otherwise it’s tax time boys. If they wanna own cereal companies, tax time boys.

Organised religions - of all kinds - are farcical. They’re all cults. Their time is up. It’s 2019, let’s move on.

4 hours ago, Cynth said:

What do you mean?

Btron’s post is a fine example.

9 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Outside of this sordid affair, they should also start to treat religions like the businesses they are. They should be asked to account for every last drop of cash they get, and all profits should go back to the community, otherwise it’s tax time boys. If they wanna own cereal companies, tax time boys.

Organised religions - of all kinds - are farcical. They’re all cults. Their time is up. It’s 2019, let’s move on.

I don't think Sanitarium is/are the real evil here.

Hillsong is aka 'the till on the hill'. 

9 hours ago, Legionista said:

Btron’s post is a fine example.

Separation of church from state doesn’t mean it’s a complete free for all, no rules for religions. They seem to think that’s what it means, but it never should.

As if there’s separation now anyway. As if ol mate Scomo doesn’t connect his faith to his policies and get votes (or lose them) because of it.

Separaration is an old concept, for when religions did use their influence unduly to discriminate (or worse) across the board. Now the politicians whose thinking is ruled by the outdated dogma of the church just speak their positions and pretend it’s not driven by their religion. Let them show their true colours. Let’s end the dog whistling and bring their influences into the public eye. Let people vote for a dude who thinks priests should be able to keep pedophilia a secret if it’s told to them in a little designated box. Let’s see how Australia really votes when everyone is clear where they stand.

On 06/03/2019 at 7:53 AM, btron3000 said:

Separation of church from state doesn’t mean it’s a complete free for all, no rules for religions. They seem to think that’s what it means, but it never should.

As if there’s separation now anyway. As if ol mate Scomo doesn’t connect his faith to his policies and get votes (or lose them) because of it.

How do you separate secular and religious belief systems that are occupying the same space, and have been intertwined for centuries? I don't think that is possible. After all, Australia is considered a secular state, yet parliament opens with the Lord's prayer.

If you were to treat the Catholic Church like a secular entity, they would have been officially called a cult by now, and been shut down. But for better for worse, Catholicism offers the faithful something valuable, and closing the church doors would cause grief and upset for many - some people just get a kick out of believing in fairy tales.

The problem here is that especially the Catholic Church has fused the concepts of faith, belief, and religion. Question the one, and you automatically question the other two as well. It has provided a safeguard against interference from the outside, from the secular. But that idea is fundamentally wrong. The Catholic Church is a man made organization, run by flesh and blood humans, and has turned into the world's biggest pedophile ring in the process. According to the RC, the same applies to Catholic-run organizations.

Church officials are not superhuman, but flesh and blood dudes who put flesh and blood dicks into little boys and girls. That needs to be addressed via the tools of common law, the concept of the Church investigating itself is nothing but a hoax. If anyone is this country is more concerned about the burqua than pedophilia then they need to have another read of the bible. There is something they don't understand.

8 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

still hate Van Badham

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"a Hiroshima of irritation" to sum up THAT idiotic young woman, and her horrible, smug attitude.

Yessssssss!!

I liked his analysis of that part of the Q&A segment. 

re Terri Butler- I also agree! I thought she was very disappointing.

And he sang Van Badham's praise, which was fair enough too, on the whole.

Thanks for posting Goat.

4 hours ago, FCB said:

How do you separate secular and religious belief systems that are occupying the same space, and have been intertwined for centuries? I don't think that is possible. After all, Australia is considered a secular state, yet parliament opens with the Lord's prayer.

If you were to treat the Catholic Church like a secular entity, they would have been officially called a cult by now, and been shut down. But for better for worse, Catholicism offers the faithful something valuable, and closing the church doors would cause grief and upset for many - some people just get a kick out of believing in fairy tales.

The problem here is that especially the Catholic Church has fused the concepts of faith, belief, and religion. Question the one, and you automatically question the other two as well. It has provided a safeguard against interference from the outside, from the secular. But that idea is fundamentally wrong. The Catholic Church is a man made organization, run by flesh and blood humans, and has turned into the world's biggest pedophile ring in the process. According to the RC, the same applies to Catholic-run organizations.

Church officials are not superhuman, but flesh and blood dudes who put flesh and blood dicks into little boys and girls. That needs to be addressed via the tools of common law, the concept of the Church investigating itself is nothing but a hoax. If anyone is this country is more concerned about the burqua than pedophilia then they need to have another read of the bible. There is something they don't understand.

Great post FCB!

I find him to be a Holocaust of ****wittery myself but there you go.

On 07/03/2019 at 5:08 PM, Neverbloom said:

mack will have a field day here

omg the video isn't 10 minutes long

1 hour ago, marron said:

I find him to be a Holocaust of ****wittery myself but there you go.

JP?

E&C please!

Not sure that Q&A would have had almost 1.5 million views in a week and a half without JP.

Ms Butler totally infuriates me here with her snide, sneery, smugness/rudeness.

And JP more than holds his own ....he does get triggered, then settles.

The comments attached to the clip are great too...imo.

^^^ Might he have been somewhat out of his comfort zone there?

Seems an odd way of approaching an International Women's Day presentation...…..but there is a lot of friction around feminism these days, I guess.

If I cried a little as I explained, would it get you to donate to my patreon?

4 hours ago, marron said:

If I cried a little as I explained, would it get you to donate to my patreon?

Might depend on what you were crying about!

:P :P

But I'd be interested in your reasons for the "holocaust of ****wittery" comment, Marron.

And while I'm waiting...I'll get up to some mischief. :spiteful: