Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

22 minutes ago, mack said:

At least they aren't giving tax cuts to billionaires.

What if you get a tax cut? Is that ok? Why is a tax cut for billionaires wrong? Your tax cut would also be a billionaires tax cut.

21 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

What if you get a tax cut? Is that ok? Why is a tax cut for billionaires wrong? Your tax cut would also be a billionaires tax cut.

Billionaires don't need more tax cuts.

"It's okay to be white" is a racist dogwhistle/trolling campaign setup by the american alt-right/white supremacists. The Parliament shouldn't be anywhere near it.

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Why is it a problem?

It’s a problem to claim victim hood whilst measurable, harmful racism against minorities is happening right before our eyes. When someone can show me the harmful effects that “racism” has had for white people I will believe it. Real and measurable harm. 

Its amazing that claiming victimhood has become a trait of the right whilst criticising that very behaviour in the left. 

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Here we go with right and left again. Why not right and wrong?

Ed, You could ask a thousand questions on whether something is right or wrong and your answer is going to be what you personally believe, ie......,your own point of view.

Say for instance......What services should a govt provide.?

There are business people I've worked for who absolutely believe we shouldn't pay the dole or pension, we shouldn't have compulsory super, we shouldn't have medicare., we shouldn't be funding education....the govt should get out of the way of business, there should be no state or govt owned enterprises, company taxes should be no more than 20% and if people are poor then they are the ones responsible.There should be no minimum wage, the wage is set by market forces.

Are any of these things wrong.? Not from their point of view.....my point of view is they are wrong....whose correct.? There are some things that are not all black and white.

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

It’s a problem to claim victim hood whilst measurable, harmful racism against minorities is happening right before our eyes. When someone can show me the harmful effects that “racism” has had for white people I will believe it. Real and measurable harm. 

Its amazing that claiming victimhood has become a trait of the right whilst criticising that very behaviour in the left. 

Exactly!

To add to this - does Hanson and co equally wish to draw attention to, and call out racism towards indigenous people - which has been grossly apparent since white colonisation?

Or, as Cynth refers to, towards other minorities?

From her, it's been "We are being swamped by Asians"... "We are being swamped by Muslims/ experiencing the Muslimisation of Australia" etc.

Call out all racism if you are sincere in wanting to fight racism.

She and her cronies are simply attempting to whip up us vs them fear and division.

13 minutes ago, sonar said:

Ed, You could ask a thousand questions on whether something is right or wrong and your answer is going to be what you personally believe, ie......,your own point of view.

Say for instance......What services should a govt provide.?

There are business people I've worked for who absolutely believe we shouldn't pay the dole or pension, we shouldn't have compulsory super, we shouldn't have medicare., we shouldn't be funding education....the govt should get out of the way of business, there should be no state or govt owned enterprises, company taxes should be no more than 20% and if people are poor then they are the ones responsible. There should be no minimum wage, the wage is set by market forces.

Are any of these things wrong.? Not from their point of view.....my point of view is they are wrong....whose correct.? There are some things that are not all black and white.

I agree with your overall sentiment Sonar ( except you're right and they're wrong! hehehehe)

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Exactly!

To add to this - does Hanson and co equally wish to draw attention to, and call out racism towards indigenous people - which has been grossly apparent since white colonisation?

Or, as Cynth refers to, towards other minorities?

From her, it's been "We are being swamped by Asians"... "We are being swamped by Muslims/ experiencing the Muslimisation of Australia, etc.

Call out all racism if you are sincere in wanting to fight racism.

She and her cronies are attempting to whip up us vs them fear and division.

:good:

1 hour ago, luisenrique said:

.there's no point pretending that different political ideologies don't exist, or that you don't identify more with one than the other. 

And generally well informed people,  who follow issues at play in society,  DO identify with the values, the world view....the mindset of one general ideology more than another.

The differences cut across many, many issues...and people tend to be fairly consistent in relating to one mindset or the other.

Where to start, both the left and the right have moved from where they used to be or say those in charge have shifted.

The left when I was a boy and in my grand fathers day was concerned with poverty, the need to put food on the table.the left wanted to increase the wealth 

Todays left is far more concerned about issues, one of the key differences I have observed is the old left were concerned  about poverty came from these families from of people.of the poor and felt the pain of people they knew in poverty. Today the leaders of the left very often come from inner city, upper middle class, and have concerns about issues and TBH often without any sense of comprise... Take the Wentworth by election Phelps who is a reasonable change of winning the seat put the Libs second on her ticket, the Greens upset then put her last on their ticket. So a person with almost identical views and could force a change in government you put last as she put the Libs second...

The right now is off the plant with power, especially in the US, IMO the right have created a form of predatory capitalism that is putting democracy  at risk...

The new left leaders IMO have in many ways let the side down, while I fully accept many of their issues to me many seem petty issues of economic fairness is IMO the bigger with better outcomes objectives. .   

The media today is so tiny, and with trolls and bots tis difficult to often get a rational debate as each media outlet plays to its own demographics.

A newish thing is the partnership almost between predatory capitalism and right wing religions sects its IMO a mega powerful partnership.

Phelps is a Liberal for Liberals who are angry at the Liberal Party.

The how to vote stuff is just archaic political manoeuvring due to the preference system.

The Liberals will have the most first preferences (barring a complete shock result, which would render the whole how to vote a moot point). Which means their how to vote cards are pointless apart from helping people make a valid vote.

Labor and the Greens have put each other in their top positions out of the 3 major parties and Phelps, because their goal is to maximise the amount of preferences that go to a left candidate, hoping that if Phelps finishes outside the top 2 while the Liberal candidate gets dragged well below the 50% first preference winning percentage, that her and other minor party/candidate voters will be angry enough at the Liberals to preference the Greens/Labor candidate above the Liberal candidate. Which could maybe sneak one of them over the line.

Phelps needs people to vote her #1. Which means their liberal preference is pointless. She also wants non-Liberal voters to put the Liberals last because that means if she ends in the final two that as many votes as possible will preference to her instead of to the Liberal. Which she needs. This caused her an issue because it was viewed by her supporters who still support the Liberal party above the Greens/Labor, that she was actually calling for people to support the Greens & Labor before the Liberals. Which is a problem because if Lib aligned voters aren't happy with her for doing that, they will just stick to the Liberal, which means she's dead in the water as a candidate. It also pissed off Greens/Labor who proceeded to preference each other ahead of her.

Simple. :cheeky:

It's still better than the archaic first past the post they use in the UK.

As for the "are policies right or wrong", well, individual policies can be wrong. The US policy to invade Iraq for WMD's was wrong. Turnbulls "MTM" NBN policy was a massive dud. In terms of an overall ideology, a set of policies can be right or wrong based on the view point, and your ideology is what frames that view of right or wrong.

Sonar's business man policy set would be 'right' if your ideology is to destroy social democracy so profit can be maximised for the benefit of the rich, but it would be awfully, horribly wrong if your ideology preferred to prevent capitalist jackboots from enslaving the working class in a hellscape minarch-capitalist dystopia where how good your life was depends on how much money you were born into.

Up late so apologies if the below makes no sense or comes across as patronising 

But

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Here we go with right and left again. Why not right and wrong?

Putting aside right and left 

Hansons motion acknowledged the 

“deplorable rise of anti-white racism and attacks on Western civilisation” and “it is OK to be white”.

Lets take the first part the “rise of anti-white racism” 

She offered no supporting facts or research it was just said as “fact”. But it isn’t a fact is it? There is no rise in anti-white racism. There is a rise in understanding of others and a fight against racism, but that isn’t the same thing. 

so it is first wrong on that count. For her to then go on and connect  “it’s ok to be white” to this. Of course it is, nobody (apart from perhaps a tiny number of exteremists) is suggesting that it isn’t ok.

So to get up in the Australian senate and suggest that we need to pass a motion to affirm that it is ok, strong implies and adds validation to the believe that these bunch of racists have  (such as Hanson) that the white race is somehow under threat. Which is wrong, it isn’t 

Also this motion, puts her paranoia of “anti white racism” on the same level as genuine racism and issues that exist, as if it is equally valid and true (it isn’t, is it?)

Now, the fact that it wasn’t just a bunch of fringe loons that voted for this, but a large chunk of our current government makes it far worse. 

put aside right and left politics, racism is wrong and what she said is wrong, a government appeasing and validating it is wrong 

To be honest I’m shocked and disappointed that it got so many votes from the Libs. As while I generally disagree with them, I did think better of them than that. 

Exactly, it's a ridiculous motion to propose, embarrassing for the country (have a look at the coverage of it worldwide), and there's nothing wrong with pointing out that fact, as well as the political leanings of those who voted for it.

Just like if the Greens tabled a motion to, I don't know, acknowledge the deplorable rise of anti-vegan dietism (?) and say 'it's OK to be vegan', they and the lefties that tabled it would be rightly mocked.

22 hours ago, Cynth said:

Tell me....this “seismic” event....has it changed anything politically or culturally for you, if it’s so seismic, then it’s affected you right? Changed your life? 

Cause from where I’m standing, my life is the same except there are a few happier people who feel more equal in their relationship opportunities. 

Word I'm getting once removed from a number of gay couples is that not all of them are happy as they now have to deal with many issues like how much to spend on a wedding ring, who buys the ring (wedding watch is the trend actually), what to do about  their partner get half their cash if they divorce etc. hahaha the realities have hit home.  Also, it seems the lesbians are more at home with their partnerships being legally binding but the gay men are finding the rules and norms tougher to deal with!! 

13 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Just like if the Greens tabled a motion to, I don't know, acknowledge the deplorable rise of anti-vegan dietism (?) and say 'it's OK to be vegan', they and the lefties that tabled it would be rightly mocked.

There is nothing deplorable about anti-vegan dietism.  Eggs are nature's perfect food.

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It's all about winning Wentworth......12% Jewish vote......the Coalition lose Wenworth and they then become a minority govt needing the support of Katter and McGowan to stay in power. Lib candidate is former ambassador to Israel 

Edited by sonar
9 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's all about winning Wentworth......12% Jewish vote......the Coalition lose Wenworth and they then become a minority govt needing the support of Katter and McGowan to stay in power. Lib candidate is former ambassador to Israel 

Yep - and as the opinion piece points out - with the Lib candidate being who he is, the Jewish vote is likely to be secured already - in general terms.

"Why is it stupid? Because the Jewish vote in the seat of Wentworth is solidly with the Liberal candidate, Dave Sharma, already.  The Liberals won't gain any significant number of Jewish votes that aren't already theirs. And Israel already considers Australia to be one of its best friends in the world.

The Jews of Wentworth shouldn't feel gratified by Morrison's gambit. They should feel insulted. He's gaming them. And besides, he's not committing to these policies, only toying with them. Who knows? Today he's pitching for one ethnic and religious minority's support, tomorrow he might be chasing another. In a general election he might need to court the Muslim vote on the other side of Sydney."

15 minutes ago, Legionista said:

Who let the genie out of the bottle with regards to identity politics wendy?

See, I find it jarring, to say the least. 

You have heard me for the last 3-4 years saying that things have gone too far.

And, imho, they have gone quite a bit too far. 

But mooooooooooooooooooomm they started it! :cheeky:

Either a group think identity politics is bad, in which case they shouldn't be referring to white or black or whatever, or they do use, in which case it's hypocritical and their complaints about the "other side" using identity politics can be ridiculous..

As for "who started it".. I suppose "identity politics" could be traced back to the people who started kidnapping and enslaving black people to work in the Caribbean and United States, and who then after the civil war decided to create Jim Crow laws in the 1890's, where people whose identity was black, weren't allowed to be involved in politics, among other things like lynching, poll taxes and other voter suppression which the modern Republican party continues to do right now.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic