Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

I heard a lot of responses like that today. I feel the same to a degree. Morrison ( at this stage ) does not have a majority. A small consolation I know but if the indies hold the BOP, there's hope yet.  Have to wait and see I guess. Chin up mate...:grouphug:

Thanks Sonar. You seem to be an optimist just what I need right now. :)

1 minute ago, FCB said:

Nuh Cynth, all you have to do is care as much as the extremists on the fringes do. Otherwise you hand over the playing field to guys like in Poland, Hungary, Austria. You know, the guys who mistake history books for toilet paper. In fact, this is a perfect time to join a political party.

Oh dear, right now, emotionally, I don’t think I have it in me, even though I have thought about it in the past. 

46 minutes ago, Cynth said:

I’m so done. Why bother? I can go ahead and lead my privledged life and leave my head in the sand that our government is corrupt. This is the stuff that supposed conservative/libertarian voters,  who are more concerned about their own tax cuts than the environment or injustices in the community, can ignore happily. 

Why should I care when they don’t? 

All I have to do is work out how not to care. 

Vote Liberal

5 minutes ago, Legionista said:

Where did it go wrong for Labor?

Excellent analysis on Insiders this morning.

Libs outwitted Labor with a scare campaign. Labor didn't challenge it hard enough. Clive Palmer's relentless anti Labor campaign, supplementing the Coalition's negativity.

And a scattergun, too big policy agenda, which lacked cohesion, compared to the almost nothing agenda of the coalition.

Apart from Shorten' s lack of appeal, and ScoMo's unrelenting determination and energy.

One Nation have got 22% of the vote in the Hunter seat along with Palmer getting 4%. One Nation are only 2% away from beating the Nationals to 2nd place. Labor lost 14% of their primary vote. Are they that racist and hateful in Newcastle? It's turned what used to be an very safe Labor seat into a marginal one.

How is Labor meant to counter this? 25% of an electorate that includes parts of a large city and several decent sized towns, voting for a set of far-right charlatans. Nationwide 800,000+ people have voted for One Nation, Palmer or Anning's Nazi Party. If you include Katter, the handful of Christian Parties and the handful of far-right parties that get 10k to 30k votes there's nearly as many people voting for what are factually racist or bigoted parties as people voting Greens.

In 3 years what's stopping it happening again? Does Albo need to start wearing a Cronulla cape (irony) and start telling immigrants to "**** off we're full" before they have another chance?

Policy areas that are effectively no go zones now include:

• Letting Queensland annihilate their tourism industry by killing the Barrier Reef in favour of the much smaller mining industry that offshores all the profits anyway.
  • Anything that allows a scare campaign on lowering housing prices. Governments are no longer allowed to do anything but keep fuelling the housing bubble. Capital Gains, Negative Gearing are now untouchable. Anything that risks lowering housing prices will get an immense screaming negative scare campaign from baby boomers, the real estate & construction industries and the banks.
  • Anything that might be seen to cause the reserve bank interest rate to rise.
  • Offshoring profits.
  • Family trusts.
  • Carbon Pollution/Environment.
  • Company Car/Executive Perk tax breaks.
  • Franking credits.
  • Banking reform.
  • Anything that might not "stop the boats".
  • Anything that might make them look "soft on crime".
  • Bringing back penalty rates (they'll be gone before the next election) because it makes them look "controlled by unions".
  • Never "doing deals" with the Greens.
  • Not having too much "identity politics".
  • Protection against discrimination for LGBT people.
  • Never ever ever EVER having another deficit. Labor is no longer allowed to do a deficit because they'll be turfed out immediately.
  • Never changing leaders again between elections.

And with all that, they still need to find someone "likeable" that a bogan in Queensland can 'have a beer with' because now we know that's as important as having actual policy.

What's even left to campaign over? In 3 years the tax system will be wrecked, company tax will be bought down to 25% or lower, Gina Reinhart will probably get her wish for a special North Australia tax zone to screw it even further, ATO will be practically banned from chasing the rich & major companies and start "robodebting" the poor, none of the ballooning costs of negative gearing or franking credits will be touched, penalty rates will be long gone and the minimum wage reduced or frozen, Unions will be bashed and attacked for 3 years, public services will be slashed in ideologically driven austerity and anything that can be sold off will be and they won't be able to refund them because they'll cause a deficit that gets them booted out in 3 years.

The next campaign will be nothing but "hey our leader is a top bloke he'll have a beer with you he's a more top bloke than Morrison" and then what, try to push some minor reforms in your first year before switching to "save money for year 3 bribes"? What a pathetic situation.

Oh dear Mack!

Time will tell...but we may have reached some tipping points in three years time (hopefully not those ecologcal tipping points :(:() that will swing the pendulum back. And the pendulum effect is pretty consistent.

PS Not Albo...please.

Not Chris Bowen (sorry Cynth)

I cannot see either of them as Prime Ministerial. They just are not. I like them, but ..no.

I really,realy admire and like Tanya, but I'm not sure how she'd handle shearing a sheep or downing a schooner in outback Queensland.. lololol.

Someone  new, articulate and with charisma. 3 years is plenty long enough to establish a relationship with the public.

Thoughts..... anyone??

If Labor push a female leader they lose in 3 years. Penny Wong has repeatedly said she isn't interested in the leadership and I bet it's less about her not wanting to be a leader or thinking she isn't qualified, but that she knows it's a losing proposition. Time to face facts and admit the country isn't ready for another female PM.

25 minutes ago, wendybr said:

PS Not Albo...please.

I cannot see either of them as Prime Ministerial. They just are not. I like them, but ..no.

I really,realy admire and like Tanya, but I'm not sure how she'd handle shearing a sheep or downing a schooner in outback Queensland.. lololol.

Someone  new, articulate and with charisma. 3 years is plenty long enough to establish a relationship with the public.

Thoughts..... anyone??

Penny Wong but she has to leave the senate ..

I am a huge believer in climate change, and am so disappointed in the ALP for the campaign they ran. 

IMO the ALP ran close to the worst campaign I have ever seen at a federal level, they simply assumed they would win and totally f**ked it up.

Sure News did not help, but some of their polices and statements were IMO flawed.

Also gotta say the Morrison did an amazing job the way he went about things.... 

Someone please correct me but I think the ALP primary vote was 29% or something like that and if true they are in deep trouble and need to a party of the people and arguably go into coalition  with the greens. 

Whats unbelievably sad is the country was ready for a change in government, all the ALP had to do was to offer more sensible polices 

6 hours ago, mack said:

One Nation have got 22% of the vote in the Hunter seat along with Palmer getting 4%. One Nation are only 2% away from beating the Nationals to 2nd place. Labor lost 14% of their primary vote. Are they that racist and hateful in Newcastle? It's turned what used to be an very safe Labor seat into a marginal one.

How is Labor meant to counter this? 25% of an electorate that includes parts of a large city and several decent sized towns, voting for a set of far-right charlatans. Nationwide 800,000+ people have voted for One Nation, Palmer or Anning's Nazi Party. If you include Katter, the handful of Christian Parties and the handful of far-right parties that get 10k to 30k votes there's nearly as many people voting for what are factually racist or bigoted parties as people voting Greens.

In 3 years what's stopping it happening again? Does Albo need to start wearing a Cronulla cape (irony) and start telling immigrants to "**** off we're full" before they have another chance?

Policy areas that are effectively no go zones now include:

• Letting Queensland annihilate their tourism industry by killing the Barrier Reef in favour of the much smaller mining industry that offshores all the profits anyway.
  • Anything that allows a scare campaign on lowering housing prices. Governments are no longer allowed to do anything but keep fuelling the housing bubble. Capital Gains, Negative Gearing are now untouchable. Anything that risks lowering housing prices will get an immense screaming negative scare campaign from baby boomers, the real estate & construction industries and the banks.
  • Anything that might be seen to cause the reserve bank interest rate to rise.
  • Offshoring profits.
  • Family trusts.
  • Carbon Pollution/Environment.
  • Company Car/Executive Perk tax breaks.
  • Franking credits.
  • Banking reform.
  • Anything that might not "stop the boats".
  • Anything that might make them look "soft on crime".
  • Bringing back penalty rates (they'll be gone before the next election) because it makes them look "controlled by unions".
  • Never "doing deals" with the Greens.
  • Not having too much "identity politics".
  • Protection against discrimination for LGBT people.
  • Never ever ever EVER having another deficit. Labor is no longer allowed to do a deficit because they'll be turfed out immediately.
  • Never changing leaders again between elections.

And with all that, they still need to find someone "likeable" that a bogan in Queensland can 'have a beer with' because now we know that's as important as having actual policy.

What's even left to campaign over? In 3 years the tax system will be wrecked, company tax will be bought down to 25% or lower, Gina Reinhart will probably get her wish for a special North Australia tax zone to screw it even further, ATO will be practically banned from chasing the rich & major companies and start "robodebting" the poor, none of the ballooning costs of negative gearing or franking credits will be touched, penalty rates will be long gone and the minimum wage reduced or frozen, Unions will be bashed and attacked for 3 years, public services will be slashed in ideologically driven austerity and anything that can be sold off will be and they won't be able to refund them because they'll cause a deficit that gets them booted out in 3 years.

The next campaign will be nothing but "hey our leader is a top bloke he'll have a beer with you he's a more top bloke than Morrison" and then what, try to push some minor reforms in your first year before switching to "save money for year 3 bribes"? What a pathetic situation.

Mack, based on a brief polite on my behalf engagement with the Jets fan forum, I'd have to say they are.  I made a serious recruitment suggestion based on my opinion of a certain player and got literally torn to shreds by a couple of them. 

All the best next season guys. Obviously there's something seriously wrong in certain parts of this country.

Mack, I hear you. We are turning into the US between now and the next election. Like I said, I am done. Why should I care about the environment if no one else does? Why should I care about public services when I don’t need to use them? Seems caring is a commodity no one can afford. 

The next leader Wendy? Can’t think of one person. Not one. 

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

PS Not Albo...please.

Thoughts..... anyone??

I personally think Albo is the best chance the ALP have of winning the next election. You need someone the typical Aussie can relate to.

I don't think Tanya Plibersek and Chris Bowen fit into that category unfortunately.

My personal favourite is Penny Wong but she also doesn't fit in to the correct image.

10 minutes ago, papersun said:

I personally think Albo is the best chance the ALP have of winning the next election. You need someone the typical Aussie can relate to.

I don't think Tanya Plibersek and Chris Bowen fit into that category unfortunately.

My personal favourite is Penny Wong but she also doesn't fit in to the correct image.

Given the votes to openly homophobic and racist parties, I unfortunately can’t see Penny Wong as prime minister 

7 hours ago, Flytox said:

Thinking that redistribution of wealth is a policy middle Australia will accept.

I think this sums it up. 

The ALP ran a 'big target' campaign with a lot of ideas which were costed. But this scared most of the populace. I believe people want to take action on climate change but not when it could cost them something in the short term.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic